Week of Oct 16 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

chimera said:
Solo...how cold is cold? :cold:

Wayyyyyy too cold for you. HAven't looked at tomorrow am temps, don't want to, but it was 54 degrees when we left the house at 6 last night. Time for the long tights and getting close to long sleeves.

Must have been VERY cold for solo this morning!

Sunny -- Thanks so much for sharing the pictures. I'd be so inspired if my wogging locales looked like that. Mine are all concrete, but with my vision issues, I guess it's good not to have to look for twigs or branches or roots or bumps. :sad:

For all our friends who will get rain from Wilma -- stay warm and dry!

Mel -- I hope you won't be getting that kind of cross-training this weekend! :hug: :goodvibes: :wizard:

Yes, ;lots of Prayers and Pixie dust to all who may be in WIlma's wasy! :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

Minnie, :wizard: :wizard: :wizard: for you,stick with it,I was out of the training loop for almost three weeks with my quad injury and thought I would really lose ground,but I didn't.I took one easy 3 mile run to see how I felt then jumped right back on schedule.Don't lose hope!I haven't posted in a while because I have been chasing my dream job,which I got!!!!!! :cool1: I'm behind on everything though,still haven't booked a resort for the marathon and I'm usually a compulsive planner.For you guys talking about the weather turning cold,yesterday I left the house for a 5 mile run with shorts on and a long sleeved tee.(it was 50 degrees out)By mile 2 I thought I would die of heat stroke so off came the shirt.(which I stashed behind a tree to retrieve later),Wouldn't you know, I turned the corner and realized I had to run by at least 20 construction and town workers(part of the road had washed away last week) in just a bra! I had to do some strategic arm placement,if you ladies know what I mean :rolleyes1 .Oh,well,just wanted to wish everyone luck on their LRs.

Christine

chimera said:
Solo...how cold is cold? :cold:

This morning? Upper 30's :cold: I need to get thinking about a very cold weather/snowing training plan. I have a sick feeling I will be running a lot indoors in December :guilty:

I tell a story about my very first Michigan winter after growing up in DC-- I was all ready for the cold and the snow. I thought it was cool. I was ready for a White Christmas. I could handle a White Thanksgiving. But when they started talking about the possibilty of a White Halloween?!!?!? :earseek: :faint:

Which brings up an interesting question for all of you runners who live in cold weather climates: How do you handle very cold/snowy days? And how cold is too cold to run outdoors?? Just looking for a little advice. :)

Solotraveler :earsboy:

eeyoresmom said:
)By mile 2 I thought I would die of heat stroke so off came the shirt.(which I stashed behind a tree to retrieve later),Wouldn't you know, I turned the corner and realized I had to run by at least 20 construction and town workers(part of the road had washed away last week) in just a bra! I had to do some strategic arm placement,if you ladies know what I mean :rolleyes1 .
Christine

LOL! Christine, yes, wouldn't you know it!! For me it is the dreaded city workers too. They never seem to be engaged in work, so ample time to "check" the situation.

Sunny great pics. I wish I had a running path like that! I too am battling the concrete, hilly jungle on my runs.

Had my 14 miler LR today, the first 10 felt good, the last 4 weren't pretty. :crazy2:

I am resting and icing like crazy, but butt and ITBand really hurt.

Solo, great run! I grew up in Canada, so I know cold. You just need to get yourself one of those full face mask toques or wool cap thingys. I don't know what they call them down here. BTW, when icicles form below your nostrils, you are still good to go another 4 or 5 miles!!! :wave2:

Heather, great run!! :cool1: :cool1:

Colleen

When they tell you to keep your animals indoors. It's too cold! We have no alternative to cold, so I'm really hoping it does not get bitterly cold until after Christmas. By then we'll be on taper. We should be ok until then.

wtpclc said:
When they tell you to keep your animals indoors. It's too cold! We have no alternative to cold, so I'm really hoping it does not get bitterly cold until after Christmas. By then we'll be on taper. We should be ok until then.

Oh please, oh please Santa, this is what I want for Christmas. Please keep the bitter cold (and snow) from West Michigan until.... well, mid-January would be nice. :teeth:

Solotraveler :earsboy:

Thanks everyone for the comments! I am feeling great and looking forward to running/walking/wogging with everyone in January. :grouphug:

:wizard: Wow- my computer is down for the day & I sure miss out on alot! Today was xt did WATP 3 mile tape. I love each week how certain things are getting easier.(not easy, just easier) I'm not sure I can even keep up with all the posts I've missed.

Minnie-take care of yourself & hope the chiro can help you out :wizard:

Yes this so called free pastime of mine is starting to cost more & more. Well of course the only "big" races I want to do are at WDW and now it looks like I might have to buy a bike,take swimming lessons, etc. I agree with Sunny, all that bike talk is like a foreign language. It's kind of like listening to DH talk about work(he's an engineer) all I hear/understand is blah, blah, yadda, yadda, blah, blah. But I am definately interested in the Danskin.

I've been pretty lucky with weather. Here in the "deep south" this is getting to be prime training time. Humidity way down & much cooler temps. We hardly ever have any bitter cold & even when we do it's in Feb & would still be warm compared to MI.

Christine-congrats on getting that dream job. I know that will make everything in your life more fullfilling.

Now on the subject of the Danskin-I finally told my best friend I was considering it(she already thinks I've lost my ever loving mind) My biggest concern has been swimming. Distance and having to swim in yucky green water. Well she brought up something I hadnt even thought about. What about gators & snakes in the water? It is FL after all :earseek:

Good luck to everyone on their LR. Mine has gone back down to 3 miles. No prob!

Pixie dust to those who are trying to get better! :wizard:

Ooooh dear - It's 10.30am Saturday morning my time and I am not out running I am sitting at my computer reading about eveyone else running. You know when they say don't mix wine and beer - well I now know why. Joke is, I only drank the beer as I wasnt intending on ending up with a hangover, but then someone ordered a bottle of wine with dinner, and now look at me! I also missed my 4miles on thursday -think this is the worst training week of my life!!! I'll get there tomorrow though, figure so long as I do it the day doesn't matter. Keep up th e good work eveyrone. Helen

Back from the chiro and my backside hurts as he said I have a pinched nerve in my rear end :blush: and something or other that basically is a bundle of nerves that often makes runners hurt. All those who said I was nuts to take up running I am sure are :rotfl2:

Oh well he said that it wouldn't hurt to give running a try tomorrow and see how it feels. I was told to soak in a tub tonight and stretch run stretch and ice after the run tomorrow. All I can say is this pain better ease soon! I have another apt Mon morning so we'll see how it goes.

As far as :cold: weather it will be a chilly one this weekend. Lows in the 30s highs in the 50s so I will be wearing a longsleve coolmax and shorts or yoga pants. I imagine that I will have to break down and by those runner tights before too long (I like the idea someone said of layering a windsuit over top because there is no way I could wear them alone!

plutosmyfav said:
The backside of Lexington Center (really only "ugly" part of path, but very significant as the upper right hand corner points out)

bp4.jpg

Sunny
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2: Loving the RH tag. I think it would indeed be a significant location there. :teeth:

Everyone keepin' on keepin' on. These struggles will ease up. --I hope-- :sunny:
Anyhow,
Those pics of your path are great. It is similar to the beauty I have on mine. I could go out there every day. :love: I am glad that my path is soft b/c if not I probably would not be able to do what little I can. Still taking time off. We are visiting my friend near Cincinnati OH tomorrow. Will be back Sunday when I hope to put in a LR. I'm seeing doc on Tuesday.

Helen, I'll take over for you tomorrow. Having beers is what is going to be happening.

TiffJ said:
Now on the subject of the Danskin-I finally told my best friend I was considering it(she already thinks I've lost my ever loving mind) My biggest concern has been swimming. Distance and having to swim in yucky green water. Well she brought up something I hadnt even thought about. What about gators & snakes in the water? It is FL after all :earseek:

The swim for the Danskin is in the seven seas lagoon (what you cross when you ride the ferry to Magic Kingdom). It is a man-made lake - no gators, and I certainly hope no snakes! :eek: Last year, they put out blue and red markers that you had to swim between. They also have "swim angels" - people on kayaks that will help you around if you need them. You do have to deal with seaweed :crazy2: and icky water, but it's not supposed to be that bad (from all the women I talked to). I am terrified of the swim, so I took lots of notes! :blush: I'm so excited to have another goal to aim for after the marathon, though. We can do it!!! :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Great pics, Sunny. Yeah, I'd be stopping by Starbucks! :)

Howard - Congrats on your races! I noticed you skipped the month of May. If you're looking for a good race, there's one in Philly called the Broad Street Run. It's a ten-miler, mostly flat, heading down Broad Street from the north end of the city to the south end. It's always held the 1st Sunday in May (May 7, 2006).

Got back to training today. have not worked out all week due to quad strain. The motrin is helping. Did 60 minutes on elliptical today, then iced. Feeling pretty good right now.

Terri

Did 30 mins xt last night (first 2 miles of WATP 3 mile powerwalk, with weights).

Did my 4 mile LW this morning:
1st mile (including warmup) -- 16:29
mile 2 -- 15:19
mile 3 -- 14:41
mile 4 -- 14:49

Not bad. I was tired, but not spent. Tomorrow is a "rest day" -- what a joke! We'll be on the go from 7 am until after midnight when we await the release of SAT scores.

Cam - :wizard: on the SAT scores!

As for me, I will not be doing my lr today as I woke up this morning and could barely hobble to the shower. The chiro did a number on my yesterday :guilty:

I am taking motrin and using heat/ice to calm the area down and will hope that Sun will be better for the lr. I am determined to get it in this weekend somehow.

:wizard: :wizard: to everyone on their lr this weekend!

:wizard: on the SAT scores for your daughter, Cam.
:wizard: :wizard: Mucho PD for the Floridians and those vacationing there. A significant percentage of my school is in Orlando this weekend through next week for the AOA and specialty Mtgs but some people chose not to go due to the weather forecast. I had decided back in Sept not to go since I'll be in DC next weekend.

Did 12.28 miles today and realized that the marathon is only 4 longer runs away following the MFM run program. I have pictures of the coast but not sure how to post them. No surfers out(so no fist fights) at Fortune's Rocks today. The ocean was actually about as flat as I've seen on the open rather than bay side. We've had frost the last 2 mornings and I actually ran in tights today. I am going to need to get some more winter weather workout gear but it'll overlap with what I cross country ski and winter bike in.

Triathlon swimming- yes, adult swim lessons are a great idea if available. Another option is a master's swim team/group workouts(website search for USMS and it'll list nearest team/pools). I've never encountered nasty living critters(ie snakes) in the water because I let the faster swimmers scare them off for me. I have seen fish, most recently at the race I did Labor Day weekend, and vegetation is frequent. The neatest thing I saw in the water was one year at Lake Placid. The swim is 2 1.2 miles laps and there is a line about 6-8 ft down in the water that follows the buoy markers so it's a great course to swim. When I made one of the turns to head back in I was looking down and someone waved at me. They had scuba divers in the water(in addition to the rescue boats above water) and the one at this location was waving to the racers. Most races have a rule where you can hold onto the kayaks/rescue boards out on the course to catch your breath and settle down before continueing as long as you make no forward progress.

I've heard awesome things about the Danskin series including the fact that they have an officially designated 'last place finisher' so no one who enters the race will ever be last. I can't justify the distance and cost of travel to do a sprint distance at Disney World so alas I won't be doing it. However, the Florida Half Ironman the following weekend(May 21st) is another story completely and I finished making the VWL part of the ressie yesterday. It was supposed to be 3 nights out of an 8 night trip to maximize our APs which expire May 29th but my school may move the clinical decision making course from june 12-30 to may 15-june 2. Based on the existing schedule, we have from May 12-June 12 off and that was the assumption I was working under when I committed to the race and started planning the family vacation. Academically, I would prefer to have the CDM course done and over even if it does mess up my Disney plans. I would still go down to due the race though and and also planning a weekend trip for the Minnie Marathon. I just can't pass up a race called Women Run the World. :teeth:

Keep training hard and :goodvibes for the injuries.

Hi All!

I just finished my MFM scheduled 4 mile walk, at just under a 17 minute pace. While I am not at the 16 minute pace yet, I feel like I am making progress.

I was marking my calendar with the MFM distances and realized that during my upcoming WDW vacation I have a 4 miler on the day DH and I arrive (not a problem since we don't plan on spending the day at one of the parks anyway) and an 8 miler on the day before we come home. YIKES!! The last Saturday of our trips is always a very full day in the parks, hitting all our favorites one last time - DH tried to tell me that I will be walking a ton that day, but I told him that wandering the parks is not the same as walking the distance in a sustained manner. Hmm, I am going to have to come up with a plan!! Maybe circle the World Showcase a few times, and then walk along the water to MGM and back...anybody know how far apart Epcot and MGM are off the top of their head?

I don't know about anybody else, but I am really starting to get excited about the half. And I am looking forward to meeting my all fellow WISHers.

crzy4pooh said:
T It is a man-made lake - no gators, and I certainly hope no snakes! :eek: Last year, they put out blue and red markers that you had to swim between. They also have "swim angels" - people on kayaks that will help you around if you need them.

I so hate to say this--but just wanted to correct a general Florida rule. Any body of water can have an alligator.

But rest assured--if they are going to let a bunch of people...women at that...into their water...they'll be making sure the area is secure.

It has no gators b/c it is well monitored ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter