Week of Jan 8th

Ds4angels

DIS Veteran
Long time WDW fans, headed to Universal for the first time in 18 years. We are staying at CB so we will have EE, is it a must to rope drop? We aren't huge HP fans, but the kids would like to ride without an hour wait. But they would also like a little more relaxed pace then we uses to set at WDW (we would always make the first bus from Pop) We have no plans to buy express pass as we bought buy 2 get 2.

Long time WDW fans, headed to Universal for the first time in 18 years. We are staying at CB so we will have EE, is it a must to rope drop? We aren't huge HP fans, but the kids would like to ride without an hour wait. But they would also like a little more relaxed pace then we uses to set at WDW (we would always make the first bus from Pop) We have no plans to buy express pass as we bought buy 2 get 2.
You should experience light crowds during the week, with the weekends noticeably more crowded.

Hagrid's and VelociCoaster are not included with Express Pass and typically have long lines throughout the day. Hagrid's in particular can be brutal. My son recently waited more than 2 hours (90-minute posted wait time) for Hagrid's during the weekend.

If you are going multiple days, then take it easy. (Sounds like you have 4-day tickets.) However, if you are doing both parks in two days or less without Express Pass, then prepare for long days.

Have you considered booking one night in the middle of the trip at a Premier hotel. You'll be able to get 2 days of Express Pass Unlimited for up to 2 adults and 2 children. Often, this is cheaper than buying Express Pass direct. At the moment, I see Royal Pacific for $390 plus tax. If there are 4 of you, then this averages out to about $55 per person per day.

I second what the op said about booking a room for one night at royal. You can easily stop in there on your way to the park to check in and pick up your express pass and then you never have to go back in that hotel again but you'll have 2 days of express. You don't even have to set foot in the room.

I'd say with 4 days and weekdays, you'll be fine without express and lines should be decent. I'd say the best plan you could do that is relaxed is the morning with midday break and come back later. Transit at Universal is much faster than Disney, and CB is "technically" walkable. I suggest you rope drop at least a few of the days to hit the rides with shorter lines, especially VelociCoaster. Hagrids is only helpful if you are at the front of the pack, and crowds do drop midday for it (though you'll probably still wait an hr). And don't forget the end of the night! I waited 45 mins for Hagrids (posted 80) 30 mins before park close on a Saturday during spring break, so I'm sure it'll be better for you!

In your case, I think you have to figure out what the family consensus is. Rope drop is great for exploring the HP areas with minimal crowds. If that isn't really of interest, you may want to just skip it. If you aren't going to be at the gates before EE starts, you will likely have the same wait for Hagrids during "late" EE as you would in the afternoon. Regardless, Hagrids is even better in the dark so try to do an evening ride also. Maybe "casual" (non-rope-drop) EE 1 day for the other EE rides? And you may be surprised, sometimes "let's not bother to rope drop" becomes "we're up & excited, let's go to the parks early" when you are actually there...

4 weekdays during that time should be plenty of time regardless. The UO App will be a big help for keeping an eye on wait times. I wouldn't stress about EP at all. If it's busy mid-day, go watch a show or hop in the pool.

Treat this as the vacation it is & have a great time!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter