Week of Aug 7 - 2006 Half-Full Marathon Info/Training Thread

C'mon Minnie! You can do it. I went from couch potatoe to "in training" just 3 days ago. I went ahead & registered so I wouldnt get shut out. Maybe registering will give you that extra push you need to go past 3 miles.(I'm on 2 by the way)

You can do it!

MelRhoads said:
Sunny - Maybe you can send IC to deal with the "shoe guy" and she will leave you alone for a while!
:rotfl2: :rotfl2: :rotfl2:

She'd mess him up real bad!!!!!! I think she'd use TaeBo :rotfl:

Minnie: I think the TM warps the time-space continuum somehow. I am dreading the s-l-o-w time spent on it this winter. However, I have also discovered that on rare occasion I can achieve "Treadmill Nirvana", something that isn't possible on the road. It happens when my body is fluid and my mind completely detatches and loses all sense of space and time. This obviously can't happen on the road or I'd get squished! I listen to music. I don't think you can get this trance-like state watching tv or reading. Look for it and you'll find it :goodvibes

Here is an excerpt from my WISH journal describing TN:

treadmill.gif
TREADMILL NIRVANA (Jan 11, 2005)
I'm going to try to attempt to put in words what Treadmill Nirvana feels like. I start out fully aware of my surroundings, people talking, machines pounding in asynchronous rythms, music in the background, 6 tvs on the wall in front of me, mostly tuned to news channels. I set my course to manual, enter my time and weight and off I go. At first I am aware of the sound of my feet pounding the tread, I adjust my posture, get my headphones chord situated. Soon I realize I'm thoroghly enjoying myself. My shoulders are back, chest high, abs tight. TIGHT! My legs feel like well oiled machines doing their thing without any input from me. They just move. The movement is fluid and free and effortless. I feel invinsible, I could do this forever. I have no cares no worries. I am not aware of anything in my life for this moment. No stresses, no anger, frustration. NOTHING! I'm no longer aware of the room, the people, tvs, sounds. My eyes are fixed on a little spec on the green floor. They've been parked there for 10, 15, 20 minutes. Who knows. Who cares. In my peripheral vision I can see green sneakers cycling. They are lime green. That makes me smile. I suppose they are attached to a person, it is of little consequence to me. The music in my headphones is the only thing my mind registers. It is fantastic. I don't remember it sounding so good before. Every song pumps me up more than the one before. SOmeone walks between me and my spec and I am jolted back to reality for a minute. Darn! All of the sudden I realize I am getting tired and I am tempted to look at the time. No don't look yet! Make it last alittle longer before you start the "30 second mind games". Alas, I've come to the 30 second mind games. I don't exactly know what it is I bargain, but somehow I bargain to make it another 30 seconds. I glimpse at the time again, phew, made it! 30 seconds more... until the machine kicks into cool down.

That is Treadmill Nirvana. That is what keeps me coming back when the workouts are blah and every ounce of my being screams, "I don't want to workout today".

In re-reading this I realized what used to be 30-second mindgames is now 5-10 minute mindgames. I've progressed!!!!!

Welcome back Wogger! There's plenty of time to get your training back on track.

Sunny

Do you ever have a night where everything clicks? The music on your mp3 player is all upbeat, your clothes are fitting comfortably, and the temperature outside for once isn't sweltering? That was my night last night. I walked 3.05 miles in 41:55 and my mile average was 13:45. :cheer2: :cheer2:

Minnie--What are you waiting for?? You can do it!

Sunny--Glad that you're feeling better. Can you tell me how to achieve TN? I just can't seem to go more than 40 minutes on my treadmill and when I do walk on the treadmill, I can't go much faster than 4.3 because I feel like I'm going to fall off the side. One good thing about the treadmill is that I can sing along with my mp3-player at the top of my lungs and nobody cares. :)

Liz--I'm proud of you for attempting to do the half marathon. Do you know how many people don't even try? I believe it was our beloved John Bingham who said that you only fail when you never try. Hope to see at the start line on January 7th.

TiffJ--Congrats for registering!! :cheer2:

Susan--Sorry about the disappointing 5K! I hope your next one goes much better. My first 5K is on Aug. 20th, I hope the race will be better organized!

Mel--I hope your training camp is going better than ours! Let's see, Duce Staley had knee surgery yesterday, Bettis ran into Roethelisberger during practice on Thursday and Big Ben was icing his hand and his leg, and Hines Ward still hasn't settled his contract. Hopefully the bad the rehearsal/good performance rule applies to football!! By the way, I was very relieved to see that you are a Bucs fan, I really like Jon Gruden. Now if you were a Ravens or a Browns fan, I don't think we could talk anymore! :earboy2:

Good luck to everyone training today! Stay cool and hydrated!

Krista princess:

Krista - Way to go on the great walk! That's an awesome pace! Just to make you feel better about camp, you could be a Lion's fan. :rolleyes:

Rough around the edges (a rewrite of a rewrite)--but much better than the Garmin--Liz got a medal....so I feel obligated to rewrite her song....here goes:

Intro:
Liz got her butt out
{ she walked, she walked }

Chorus:
Liz got her butt out { she walked, she walked }

Verse:
Wish team got started, everybody was walkin’ {Hey, Yippie, Yi, Yo}
And everybody havin' a ball{Hah, ho, Yippie Yi Yo}
We’re postin’ on threads, doin’ some chattin’ {Yippie Yi Yo}
And Liz reports she hit a wall
had trouble walkin’

Chorus:

Rap 1:
She set her sights ahead, to the distance classic
She really wanted to finish
Feet got movin, she could do it
Dog catcher came to see right to it

Instrumental Chorus:

Verse:
She told herself “That medal will be mine” {Hey, Yippie, Yi, Yo}
No matter how far she fall behind{Yippie, Yi, Yo}
The Penguin suggested a little short cutty {Yippie Yi, Yo}
She walked her plan, took a cut to complete mile 9 {Yippie, Yi, Yo}
Look who can walk now

Chorus:

Chant:
Say, it was a hard walk, but look at that girl go, All Wishteam give Liz a buzz, all Wish team buzz.

Liz IS a ‘thoner ‘cause she walks; All wishers walk your stuff, all wishers walk it.

Rap # 2:

Look my wish friends, the party is on
She got her medal she set her myind on
Did you feel the sweat drippin’ as you walked?
Who could you call on to keep goin’
Lily the dog catcher, she came to town.
You and your sausage pants
Both have earned that medal, just look at you move
I’m hopin’ you hear the “move your booty” call
Wanna see you go for round 2
Time to get that Donald…..

Chorus (5 X's ):

The "Liz rap" motivated me this morning and I was able to walk 7 mls. in 2 hrs.....not the greatest time, but I feel good. :cool1:

The "Liz rap" :rolleyes1 motivated me this morning and I was able to walk 7 mls. in 2 hrs.....not the greatest time, but I feel good. :cool1:

Lisa - how do you manage to run, homeschool two kids, raise money for charity and write songs online, v impressed!!

AS for Minnie's treadmill trauma, it definitely does something odd to your brain. I can run for 90 mins outside without noticeing (time that is, not leg wise) but I can't stay on a treadmill now for more than 5 minutes without feeling like someone's torturing me. When I lived in london there was a saying that tubetrain minutes were always twice as long as real minutes (as it would always say the train was 3 minutes away but it would take 5 to arrive) I reckon treadmill minutes are at least 5 times longer.

Not much to report runningwise for me, lungs all better now so went out for an hour monday night - which turned into 1.15 of hills as we ran a new route which wasn't exactly as short or as flat as we thought! Looks like I'll do an hour tonight. Anyway, got the last two lines of the book to write now (quite literally but they involve me looking up a statistic and I'm procrastinating here while I eat lunch instead) so better go. Happy training all. Helen

littlegreydonkey said:
Lisa - how do you manage to run, homeschool two kids,

Well homeschooling "used" to take 2 hours--we've had a change of heart to allow DD to try parochial school. I e-mailed the principal today and they said they had a spot for her if we wanted it. She really wants to try "real" school. I figure now is the best time to "try".

:blush:

What are you writing?

Lisa :rotfl2: LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the song!

Sorry to be so short...but I REALLY hurt and and I headed to bed. I found out that my mother has been having some more issues with TIAs and mini strokes and is in the hospital this evening. I am in NW Indiana and my mom is in Southwest Florida....there is a bit of a difference in miles there....not much to do here...but worry of course. Anyway, a little :wizard: for my mom would be appreciated.

And for those of you who want to see ALL the pics...I have them uploaded but not captioned yet. Lily took most of these. Thanks Lily! I love them!! And I LOVE that you memorialized EVERY moment!!! :teeth:

Chicago Distance Classic Pictures

Night night!!!

LIz - Prayers for your mom. It's SO hard to be that far away when things happen. :grouphug:

Liz,

Thank you so much for sharing your photos. It looks like a beautiful route. I'm so glad JB is as great in person as he is in print! I just loved the feet pics!

My prayers are with you and DM. I hope she is better soon.

Sunny

Liz- Lots of PD and prayers for your mom in Fla. :wizard: :wizard: :wizard:

I love your photos! It really makes me want to bring a camera with me on the 1/2 marathon this year. I didn't last year, and now I wish I had.

Wow, we are only 5 months away folks! Everyone keep up the good work. :paw:

Liz -- Thanks for sharing the pix! Awesome! Prayers and pixie dust for your DM, and I hope you are doing okay.

HUGS!
Cam

The latest marathon newsletter just said that the half and the full are 75% filled! Please register ASAP if oyu have not already!

But, but, but, I still hurt from my last race.........ugh! I guess I know what I need to do with with a portion of my next bonus check.......... :scared: :faint: :crazy: :scratchin :eek: :confused3

Come on, Liz! You have already proven you can do 9!!!!!!! And it's still 5 months away! Others of us are no where near that distance yet! You can do it!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter