Week after Christmas into New Year's - which parks which day and where would you spend New Year's?

hokiern

Earning My Ears
We are a family of six adults traveling to Disney World December 27, 2021 - January 2, 2022. Oldest - my mom -is a disabled 77 and the youngest will be 21. All of us have been to Disney World multiple times except the 21 year old's girlfriend. We normally stay on site, do the dining plan, park hoppers, and completely stay in the bubble, but due to all the changes in benefits to staying on property we are trying Bonnet Creek in a three bedroom suite. I know this is a challenging time to go but it was the time that fit best with everyone's college and work schedules.

The question(s):
1. I am thinking we should go to Magic Kingdom on New Year's Eve "eve" as MK does their special fireworks on the 30th as well as the 31st. Then go to Epcot on New Year's Eve?

2. If we stick to that plan, where is the best spot to go for New Year's Eve?

I have heard that you should plan to get in the park early on New Year's and stay there all day, but I have my mom's frailty to consider. In the past when we have gone after Thanksgiving, I usually do a candlelight processional dinner deal where we have dinner, stroll around Epcot for a bit, go to the candlelight processional so we can sit down as well as enjoy one of our favorite shows at Disney, do some more Epcot time, and then watch the fireworks and have another late mini meal at somewhere like Hacienda so we can sit down inside and still have a great view. However, when we do that, we don't normally go to Epcot until around 3 p.m.

Or should we do the candlelight processional another evening while we are there, catch the 6:40 NYE fireworks, hubby, mom, and I go back to Bonnet Creek and let the 20 something's do their late night thing?

3. On which days would you go to what other parks, knowing the crowds are going to be crazy because of the time of year? We will be fine with only one day in MK because the kids are all older now.

We will be flying in on Monday, December 27th - a two hour flight from where we live. Usually I try to plan something that says "welcome to Disney" but not necessarily in the parks - we have done things like the luau at the Poly or had dinner at Narcoosee's and watched the water parade and fireworks at MK. It's also a beautiful time of year to enjoy the Christmas decor at the resorts.

Monday, December 27 - early arrival day

Tuesday, December 28

Wednesday, December 29

Thursday, December 30 - Magic Kingdom?

Friday, December 31 - Epcot?

Saturday, January 1

Sunday, January 2nd - late departure day

HELP!!!! lol

Following this thread because we are contemplating 12/25 to 1/1. We have a room only booked at WL.

I have read to do what you say—MK on 12/30 and avoid it on 12/31. Plus I think Epcot sounds cool on NYE, especially if they still have all the holiday foods? However, even if they bring the Candlelight Processional back, my understanding is that it ends on 12/30, so I think that means doing EPCOT twice (or at least on a hopper the first time to do the CP).

I should add that my kids are younger—14 and 11–so they won’t be doing their own things on NYE. So for us it’s an issue of whether to get out of EPCOT before it gets mobbed or just suck it up regarding the crowds. My guess is by then we will be really sick of crowds and an ADR out of the parks may be appealing!

Last edited:
We are a family of six adults traveling to Disney World December 27, 2021 - January 2, 2022. Oldest - my mom -is a disabled 77 and the youngest will be 21. All of us have been to Disney World multiple times except the 21 year old's girlfriend. We normally stay on site, do the dining plan, park hoppers, and completely stay in the bubble, but due to all the changes in benefits to staying on property we are trying Bonnet Creek in a three bedroom suite. I know this is a challenging time to go but it was the time that fit best with everyone's college and work schedules.

The question(s):
1. I am thinking we should go to Magic Kingdom on New Year's Eve "eve" as MK does their special fireworks on the 30th as well as the 31st. Then go to Epcot on New Year's Eve?

2. If we stick to that plan, where is the best spot to go for New Year's Eve?

I have heard that you should plan to get in the park early on New Year's and stay there all day, but I have my mom's frailty to consider. In the past when we have gone after Thanksgiving, I usually do a candlelight processional dinner deal where we have dinner, stroll around Epcot for a bit, go to the candlelight processional so we can sit down as well as enjoy one of our favorite shows at Disney, do some more Epcot time, and then watch the fireworks and have another late mini meal at somewhere like Hacienda so we can sit down inside and still have a great view. However, when we do that, we don't normally go to Epcot until around 3 p.m.

Or should we do the candlelight processional another evening while we are there, catch the 6:40 NYE fireworks, hubby, mom, and I go back to Bonnet Creek and let the 20 something's do their late night thing?

3. On which days would you go to what other parks, knowing the crowds are going to be crazy because of the time of year? We will be fine with only one day in MK because the kids are all older now.

We will be flying in on Monday, December 27th - a two hour flight from where we live. Usually I try to plan something that says "welcome to Disney" but not necessarily in the parks - we have done things like the luau at the Poly or had dinner at Narcoosee's and watched the water parade and fireworks at MK. It's also a beautiful time of year to enjoy the Christmas decor at the resorts.

Monday, December 27 - early arrival day

Tuesday, December 28

Wednesday, December 29

Thursday, December 30 - Magic Kingdom?

Friday, December 31 - Epcot?

Saturday, January 1

Sunday, January 2nd - late departure day

HELP!!!! lol
I went to WDW at that time of year for nearly 20 years.

I always do the MK for 12/30 because they do the same fireworks as NYE and then we went to Epcot for 12/31. I've also done DHS for 12/31, but I prefer Epcot. Be aware that it will be a complete and utter zoo. You really can't begin to comprehend how busy it will be with literally wall to wall people. Parks close because they are at capacity. The MK parking lot closes, sometimes as early as 10:30 in the morning, so be aware of that on 12/30. That being said, I've never had a problem leaving a park and returning later. Not a single time in 20 years. BUT, I stay onsite for NYE so I simply take the bus. Parking is a bigger headache at the MK and I am not sure if you'll be able to leave the MK and then return to park on 12/30. You may want to Uber/Lyft home for a break (or take the shuttle)_ that day and leave your car parked in the lot. All the other parking lots remain open so you won't have to worry about them ... although the popularity of DHS means that you may also have some problems there too. As an aside, I would recommend that you rent your mom a scooter if she is able to drive one. You can get one that breaks down and fits in the trunk.

As for your other days, I would just work around with what you have. Every day is pretty much the same, except AK is least busy on 12/31. Extra magical hours used to have an effect on which days to pick (avoid that park!), but who knows if they will even bring it back? I will tell you that if you don't burn the midnight oil on 12/31, you'll find 1/1 to be an amazing day. If you think you can do rope drop on 1/1, then I would book DHS that day. In any case, I would buy your park passes and get your park reservations in soon in case they are still requiring them. You don't want to be blocked out.

Good luck and pack your patience!

I went to WDW at that time of year for nearly 20 years.

I always do the MK for 12/30 because they do the same fireworks as NYE and then we went to Epcot for 12/31. I've also done DHS for 12/31, but I prefer Epcot. Be aware that it will be a complete and utter zoo. You really can't begin to comprehend how busy it will be with literally wall to wall people. Parks close because they are at capacity. The MK parking lot closes, sometimes as early as 10:30 in the morning, so be aware of that on 12/30. That being said, I've never had a problem leaving a park and returning later. Not a single time in 20 years. BUT, I stay onsite for NYE so I simply take the bus. Parking is a bigger headache at the MK and I am not sure if you'll be able to leave the MK and then return to park on 12/30. You may want to Uber/Lyft home for a break (or take the shuttle)_ that day and leave your car parked in the lot. All the other parking lots remain open so you won't have to worry about them ... although the popularity of DHS means that you may also have some problems there too. As an aside, I would recommend that you rent your mom a scooter if she is able to drive one. You can get one that breaks down and fits in the trunk.

As for your other days, I would just work around with what you have. Every day is pretty much the same, except AK is least busy on 12/31. Extra magical hours used to have an effect on which days to pick (avoid that park!), but who knows if they will even bring it back? I will tell you that if you don't burn the midnight oil on 12/31, you'll find 1/1 to be an amazing day. If you think you can do rope drop on 1/1, then I would book DHS that day. In any case, I would buy your park passes and get your park reservations in soon in case they are still requiring them. You don't want to be blocked out.

Good luck and pack your patience!

Thanks, RobinB. Good to know we should be able to get in and out of parks if need be. We won't have a rental car and most likely will be using Uber. Mom won't use a scooter because she doesn't feel safe enough driving one to use it around so many people so we take her transport chair. I have even debated getting her a highback one that reclines so she could put her feet up for a bit if need be. Do you know if the Disney cardholders lounge in Epcot has any loungers? I guess another option might be to go to the Grand Floridian for afternoon tea for some downtime - if that is back in business by December. Sometimes I wish Disney was like some of the hotels in the Caribbean and other big tourist places that offer day rooms for rentals lol.

Also good feedback on DHS on 1/1 and getting tickets early. I had planned to buy one person's tickets for the week each month starting in June, but I think I better revamp that to buying everyone's tickets for New Year's Eve in June, 12/30 in July, and New Year's Day in August if I don't bite the bullet and put them on a credit card lol.

I am limited on knowledge, but if your Mother is using a transport chair, I'm guessing she will be moving slowly. How about a traditional wheelchair, where someone pushes her?
But I totally understand the hesitation because there will be so many ppl.

Following this thread because we are contemplating 12/25 to 1/1. We have a room only booked at WL.

I have read to do what you say—MK on 12/30 and avoid it on 12/31. Plus I think Epcot sounds cool on NYE, especially if they still have all the holiday foods? However, even if they bring the Candlelight Processional back, my understanding is that it ends on 12/30, so I think that means doing EPCOT twice (or at least on a hopper the first time to do the CP).

I should add that my kids are younger—14 and 11–so they won’t be doing their own things on NYE. So for us it’s an issue of whether to get out of EPCOT before it gets mobbed or just suck it up regarding the crowds. My guess is by then we will be really sick of crowds and an ADR out of the parks may be appealing!

I think we will probably make New Year's Eve our second day at Epcot just so we can do the Candlelight Processional if it is back. We have been to Disney twice just after Thanksgiving because our son sang in the National Honors Choir two years in a row and we loved the CP. Both times we did the dinner package to make sure we got seats and got an early dinner at Biergarten, then made a late dinner reservation at Hacienda. We were able to watch Illuminations through the windows and had a great view without the crowds. We haven't been back since Illuminations went away but I might try to do that our first full day there (Tues, Dec. 28th).

RobinB made some good points about Jan 1 being a great park day if you can get up early, which could be another good reason to do the 6:40 Epcot fireworks show and call it an evening to do New Years Eve at the hotel.

I think based on that feedback we will do the following:

December 27th - early arrival; get checked in and do some resort/Disney Springs stuff
December 28th - Epcot day and Candlelight Processional that evening
December 29th - Animal Kingdom
December 30th - Magic Kingdom and pre New Year's show:)
December 31st - Epcot; possible departure for some of us after the 6:40 fireworks
January 1 - DHS
January 2 - late departure day - go back to wherever we want to go in the parks. this will probably be the only day i will get park hoppers so if we can hit more than one park if need be (reservation system permitting)

Of course that is all subject to change depending on dining reservations lol. My mom is turning 77 next month and SAYS this will be her last Disney trip. She loves Cinderella's table, Soarin', the Plaza, and the afternoon tea at the Grand Floridian so trying to make those things happen for her just in case.

I also looked at the possibility of packing a picnic and watching the New Year's Eve extravaganza from the beach area in front of the yacht club. We stayed there once and it was a really nice atmosphere in the evening.

I am limited on knowledge, but if your Mother is using a transport chair, I'm guessing she will be moving slowly. How about a traditional wheelchair, where someone pushes her?
But I totally understand the hesitation because there will be so many ppl.

Our last two visits we have used her transport chair (which is a lighter version of her wheelchair) and pushed her around the park. It's a little hard on her backside though, even with extra foam cushioning. She can stand up and transfer and does some rides - she loves Haunted Mansion and Soarin' especially lol

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter