Wedding Thread Spin Off - Black Dresses

How appropriate is it to wear black to a wedding?

• Black is for funerals - I avoid it at weddings.

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • A bit of black (like part of print) is OK, but not solid black.

Votes: 21 20.6%
  • The "little black dress" is always appropriate.

Votes: 74 72.5%

• Total voters

PollyannaMom

I was a click-clack champ!!
Spin off of the latest wedding thread (about guest attire requests) - I noticed different opinions about wearing black (referring to ladies' dresses, not men's suits) that might be another of those "regional things". I'm wondering about the opinions on this one.

Grew up in Souther Ohio. Currently live on the East Coast (New England). I am 45. I have always seen and often worn black dresses to weddings. Very popular and were appropriate at those weddings. I will often pair the black cocktail dress with a colorful scarf or colorful shoes.

I have never worn a black dress to a wedding.

Often weddings here are in the daytime and summer when it feels like 105 degrees.

Although, I was recently obsessed with having a black dress for occasions that might come up and bought one not too long ago.

Hmm. I was wondering about this as I read the other thread too. I wear a lot of black day to day, but typically would avoid it for weddings. I might need to reconsider that. It’s my favorite color to wear. I have not been to a wedding in years, but the next generation is just starting—one nephew eloped last year and his brother is planning a wedding for next year.

Brother's wedding bridesmaids wore black. She had asked me but I was going to be 8 mos HUGE so didn't want to be a distraction. I wore a black dress though. They've been married 30 years.

Recent years - I've mostly worn black but most have been nice night weddings where most the guests were in black and darker colors. Day weddings, I've worn more color, sometimes dressy black pants, color on top.

The only rules I've ever known are NO RED (unless you are the mistress) and NO WHITE.

(located in the South)

Brother's wedding bridesmaids wore black. She had asked me but I was going to be 8 mos HUGE so didn't want to be a distraction. I wore a black dress though. They've been married 30 years.

Recent years - I've mostly worn black but most have been nice night weddings where most the guests were in black and darker colors. Day weddings, I've worn more color, sometimes dressy black pants, color on top.

The only rules I've ever known are NO RED (unless you are the mistress) and NO WHITE.

(located in the South)
How many times does a mistress get invited to a wedding lol

Real question...do people really pay attention to what colors people wear ANYWHERE, not just weddings. It truly baffles me that there are "color rules" for events. I've never heard that, nor would I ever think to judge or recall what attire someone had on.

As long as the guest is comfortable and their attire doesn't detract from the wedding, a black dress is fine. Although I can think of one time when it wasn't fine. I was a bridesmaid in my best friend's wedding. The ceremony was outdoors in a beautiful gazebo. It had rained a bit that morning, but the sun came out just in time. It was a bit chilly, but not enough that we needed coats or sweaters over our dresses. The bride's mother had her own ideas. While getting ready at her house, I noticed that the bride's mom had a strange-looking dress hung on a doorway in the hall. It was dark blue, made of a thin jersey-knit material with a little iron-on rainbow patch on the front. It looked like a well-worn, casual dress from the 70s that came out of the back of her closet. I didn't think much of it. Surely her mother-of-the-bride dress was in the bedroom!

Nope! Mom comes out wearing the dark blue dress. Then she proceeded to wrap herself up in a long, black cloak complete with a hood that nearly covered her entire face. My friend, the bride, didn't say a word. I always knew her mom was weird, but this was next-level weird. We got out to the gazebo which was in Mom's condo complex. There were pretty pink flowers. Us bridesmaid's were in dusty rose-colored dresses, as was the groom's mom. And here comes the mother-of-the-bride, marching up the aisle in her black cloak. She at least pulled it back from her face for the pictures afterward, but she kept the hood up. It was quite odd!

I remember exactly when I got the memo that it’s okay to wear black to weddings. It was my nephew’s summer wedding. I wore a pink dress and just about every other lady in the room was in a little black dress. I felt awkward.

I didn't vote in the poll because it's just not something I'd ever see as absolute. It totally depends on the wedding. And as for the funeral thing, well, I've been to about a dozen over the past two years and it's rare that even the widows/widowers or children actually wear solid black, let alone the rest of the attendees. Modest and simple dark clothes, yes, but one would almost stand out if they were all in black.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter