Web sites for beginning cake decorating?

Kermit

New Mama to Baby Jacob!
I'm trying to learn how to decorate cakes. I want to have a skill that I can do from home to earn a little extra money. I checked at our local library, but they had very few books available. I did get one by Collette Peters, but they didn't have any Wilton books. Does anybody know of any Web sites where I could get some tips?

Thanks!

You can check out Wiltons own web site first . They sell the Yearbooks, decorating videos and can help you find classes in your area. Many classes are held at local Craft Stores (such as Michael's, which also has the books). Wilton delivers fairly quickly. Collettes creations are beautiful but clearly for those that have had some practice.

I'd offer to teach you myself but the distance may be a problem. Frosting doesn't travel well over the internet. :jester:

Wilton

Thanks for the link!

I tried teaching myself tonight with a small booklet that came in my Wilton starter pack, but I don't think my frosting was at the right consistancy. I'm going to call Garden Ridge and see if they have any classes.

The more I look at the Collette book, the more I realize that it's not what I want. Almost all of the cakes are fondant with royal icing. I want to do buttercream.

Just be aware that cake decorating can be a VERY EXPENSIVE hobby! I have been doing wedding cakes for 16 years, and if you buy everything you need, it can cost well over a thousand dollars. If you don't plan on doing a lot of big cakes, you can get just the basics, and it will be alot cheaper. I once roughly added up all my materials, etc. and I was SHOCKED!

:earseek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter