• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WEATHER Warning HOT!!! 6/14-6/19

We got three of those SunGuard UPF 50+ umbrellas from Totes. What I like about that version, that it's 55" and enough coverage for 2 people but it folds down into a compact shape and doesn't take a lot of room in my backpack. Walmart had them for just $15 each.

We tested them out this past Saturday during my son's soccer tournament matches and it held up pretty well in 90 degree weather for most of the day.

How was that handheld fan? How long did the battery last on a full charge? Thank for the recommendation, definitely will look into getting a couple of them.

It was awesome. That's why we bickered over whose turn it was to use it! :joker: It never ran out of battery life while we used it. It had 5-6 speed settings on it. Most of the time, we used it on the 2nd to highest speed setting. We'd charge it in our room every night.

It was awesome. That's why we bickered over whose turn it was to use it! :joker: It never ran out of battery life while we used it. It had 5-6 speed settings on it. Most of the time, we used it on the 2nd to highest speed setting. We'd charge it in our room every night.

That sounds perfect. I'll get three of them for my three kids. Hopefully with them standing in front of us, we'll get some residual air flow from them. LOL

We got three of those SunGuard UPF 50+ umbrellas from Totes. What I like about that version, that it's 55" and enough coverage for 2 people but it folds down into a compact shape and doesn't take a lot of room in my backpack. Walmart had them for just $15 each.

We tested them out this past Saturday during my son's soccer tournament matches and it held up pretty well in 90 degree weather for most of the day.

Do you remember which model you bought? I'm looking into these for our trip at the end of the month but not sure what size to buy.

There's apparently a crazy "SOLAR DOME" happening right now:https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/2021-06-13-excessive-record-heat-west-june

I guess I shouldn't complain about the high 80's we're reaching on Thursday here in the SF Bay!

Thanks for the tip on the solar umbrellas, I think that'll come in handy in any heat event, Disney or otherwise. However, I'm curious what the reaction/reception is at Disney, whether from CM's or other park goers. I would imagine you wouldn't pop it open in the middle of a crowded line or other crowded space?

Do you remember which model you bought? I'm looking into these for our trip at the end of the month but not sure what size to buy.

Luckily, we still kept the tags on one of the three umbrella's. There is no model number but there is a Walmart Item# 574585817

When I went to my local Walmart, Totes has two different types of SunGuard UPF 50+ umbrellas. One was fairly large and would have a hard time fitting into a backpack. The other was really compact and lightweight, which I got 3 of.

Thanks for the tip on the solar umbrellas, I think that'll come in handy in any heat event, Disney or otherwise. However, I'm curious what the reaction/reception is at Disney, whether from CM's or other park goers. I would imagine you wouldn't pop it open in the middle of a crowded line or other crowded space?
This past weekend was the first time we ever used these solar umbrellas. It was 90 degrees and with east coast humidity. I felt silly at first opening them, as I only had ever used umbrella's for just when it's raining. Definitely weird with people looking and smiling but that doesn't bother me at all, I was doing my Disney "field testing" on how well these umbrella's worked. LOL

We were at my son's soccer tournament games from 9am to 4pm. About 3-4 hours in, when the sun was beaming overhead. That's when other parents who were laughing at first, now as they were beat red from sunburns, started to walk up to me and ask how the umbrellas were. I told them I was warm but fairly cool under the umbrella and let them try it out. Majority of them said they were going to get one now. :)

After this past weekend, I now have no issues walking around Disneyland with these umbrellas or standing in any outdoor que with them.

There's apparently a crazy "SOLAR DOME" happening right now:https://weather.com/forecast/regional/news/2021-06-13-excessive-record-heat-west-june

I guess I shouldn't complain about the high 80's we're reaching on Thursday here in the SF Bay!

No one cares and lots of people use them. It's not a big deal. It's a very common thing in the Asian community to use umbrellas in the sun and there are lots of Asians in southern California, so you see them all the time in the parks.

No one cares and lots of people use them. It's not a big deal. It's a very common thing in the Asian community to use umbrellas in the sun and there are lots of Asians in southern California, so you see them all the time in the parks.

Oh good, I imagined as much. Disney being a crossroads of everyone from everywhere....you're gonna see a little of everything. I just went on Amazon looking for these and nothing turned up from using search terms like, "solar, sun, umbrella, etc." I kept getting patio umbrellas.

Oh good, I imagined as much. Disney being a crossroads of everyone from everywhere....you're gonna see a little of everything. I just went on Amazon looking for these and nothing turned up from using search terms like, "solar, sun, umbrella, etc." I kept getting patio umbrellas.

Search "UV umbrella"

i just received two of these from Amazon. Glad to hear they worked. Wondering if anybody has compared these to the “solar umbrellas.”

Funny story. My (ex)husband and I went to Hong Kong Disneyland in August 2006. When we got there we were like “is it supposed to rain? Everyone has an umbrella!!” We were such idiots. It was SO HOT.

but the funniest part was that at 6’1”, he was right at eye level with thousands of pointy umbrella tips all day. Poor guy...

It was 92 here today and I felt like I was melting, 100 has to be absolutely miserable in the parks. Stay hydrated, my friends!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter