• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

weather obsession

Oh man you haven't had weather related travel stress until you've traveled for a total solar eclipse viewing. One little puffy cloud can wreck everything!!!

I traveled to the UK in 1999 and got rained on. So when my next opportunity came in Oregon in 2017 i was a bag of nerves! (It was sunny and i felt like I'd won the lottery!).

The only other time I've been stressed about weather was on a trip to Pensacola FL and a hurricane hit the gulf while we were there, but missed is by about 75 miles!

I'm from Vancouver, so i get trained on constantly! It sucks when i travel to rain when I'm trying to escape it! But, I say prepare for the worst, but hope for the best. At least rain has a silver lining: washes away crowds! 😉

So I asked this question a couple pages back… Does anyone know what the rain means for rides? We plan to go to DCA on Tuesday… Does that mean radiator Springs racers will not be running? Do all rides with an outside track close? And if they do, do they open back up once it stops raining or is there some sort of dry out period?

So I asked this question a couple pages back… Does anyone know what the rain means for rides? We plan to go to DCA on Tuesday… Does that mean radiator Springs racers will not be running? Do all rides with an outside track close? And if they do, do they open back up once it stops raining or is there some sort of dry out period?
The post below has a good list. Cars Land rides will close in the rain. If the rain lets up, they can re-open, but not if the rain has been very heavy and the ground is drenched. WOC can still run in the rain -- not super heavy downpours, but even in a steady rain.

GothicRosie on IG has a good rain post on what closes (note that this is rain without lightning - lightning closes everything outside for awhile).
View attachment 454728

I generally agree, but it really does seem like next week will be a wet one, overall. It is prudent to plan for rain if anyone is coming anytime from Sunday-Thursday of next week. It is almost a certainty it will happen during that window.
That’s why I said “PLAN but don’t panic” ;-)

Rainy days at Disneyland are my favorite days. Crowds get lighter, the air smells fresher, the park takes on a totally different look. ❤️ I’d by lying if I said I wasn’t a little excited that we’ll get wet next week. I don’t think the whole week will be a washout, that’s rare in OC. But my kiddos and I aren’t afraid of a little rain!

A earler poster said weather bug was teh most accurate, it showing rain for tuesday but mostly cloudy on wednesday sunday and monday look mostly dry. The rain on tuesday may be hard so dont know how much park time well get in. The thing that makes me sick is that portalnd is supposed to be nce and sunny all week. Go figure

A earler poster said weather bug was teh most accurate, it showing rain for tuesday but mostly cloudy on wednesday sunday and monday look mostly dry. The rain on tuesday may be hard so dont know how much park time well get in. The thing that makes me sick is that portalnd is supposed to be nce and sunny all week. Go figure
Reminds me of one fall trip we took when there was a heat wave in Southern California and it was 100 at Disneyland and 80 in Phoenix. Didn’t seem fair!

No, seriously, it will keep changing until the DAY OF!! Don’t stress! Just sit tight, prepare and go with it. We had a BTS tour at San Diego Safari Park in January that was a Christmas gift for the kids. 5 days before, it suddenly predicted downpours. For days the weather back and forth from rain to torrential. We could not cancel anymore (5 day cutoff!) but if we had we would have missed the more beautiful day without a drop of rain. It changes by the minute and will make you insane. Check it the night before and then take that with a grain of salt.

No, seriously, it will keep changing until the DAY OF!! Don’t stress! Just sit tight, prepare and go with it. We had a BTS tour at San Diego Safari Park in January that was a Christmas gift for the kids. 5 days before, it suddenly predicted downpours. For days the weather back and forth from rain to torrential. We could not cancel anymore (5 day cutoff!) but if we had we would have missed the more beautiful day without a drop of rain. It changes by the minute and will make you insane. Check it the night before and then take that with a grain of salt.
Seriously! And when it does rain, it might rain between midnight and 6 am. So, technically, yes, it rained. And it wouldn't affect your day in the parks at all. This does happen. So don't panic, be prepared, be flexible, and keep checking!

where can i buy ponchos tommorrow at disneyland, ive been to 3 stores and they either dont have them or out?

where can i buy ponchos tommorrow at disneyland, ive been to 3 stores and they either dont have them or out?
Ask at the registers at all the major shops. Also, check with World or Disney in DTD and the gift shops at the hotels. When we bought ours last year, we got them from Emporium, but we had to ask at the register. They were not out on display.

In 2018 we got ours at Stat Traders at the checkout counter. They are now packed and waiting to be used probably at some point in the next week!

I've already commented about my experiences with rain in March earlier in this thread, but I wanted to expound on my experiences in 2016. There was a 100% chance of rain predicted on ALL 5 of our park days!! We ended up leaving home a day earlier than we had planned so we could have at least one day in the parks without rain. I spent hundreds of dollars on rain gear for them entire family. It ended up being totally unnecessary. Yes, there was rain, but most of it came during the night and most of the days were partly cloudy with a drizzle here or there. When you are traveling from a long distance and spending a fortune on a hotel it's pretty devastating to see high chances of rain in the forecast. But, in reality, the chances of heavy rain happening all day every day are so incredibly slim. I ended up returning all of the rain gear that I bought because it never came out of the suitcase.

Last edited:
I've already commented about my experiences with rain in March earlier in this thread, but I wanted to expound on my experiences in 2016. There was a 100% chance of rain predicted on ALL 5 of our park days!! We ended up leaving a day earlier than we had planned so we could have at least one day in the parks without rain. I spent hundreds of dollars on rain gear for them entire family. It ended up being totally unnecessary. Yes, there was rain, but most of it came during the night and most of the days were partly cloudy with a drizzle here or there. When you are traveling from a long distance and spending a fortune on a hotel it's pretty devastating to see high chances of rain in the forecast. But, in reality, the chances of heavy rain happening all day every day are so incredibly slim. I ended up returning all of the rain gear that I bought because it never came out of the suitcase.
I hope this is the case, yeah i know we are staying at the grand california, fortune is right

So my trip is coming up march 8-12th, I live in the pacific nw where it rains 300 days of the year.. I started looking at long range forecasts,many of the sites are predicting rain for the week im there. Nxt week is sunny all week. When i went last nov I went the week that had the firsst measurable rain in 7 months. How accurate do u think these forecasts are 14 15 days out. As locals what are u hearing from local forecasters about the nxt 2 weeks. Part of the reason I love going to disneyland is to escape the weather here. Anyone else like me coming from out of town obsessing about the weather. HOPING FOR SUN

Good luck, we’re from the Seattle area and were definitely watching the weather, I started to get paranoid because apparently February is historically the wettest month! But instead of rain we got above average temps the week before last and it was nice!

Uuugh! The weather looks awful for Tuesday and Wednesday and it looks like it might last all week! I don’t mind a day or so but the whole week!?!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter