Weather not looking so great for our first family trip next week.

Crlb127

Earning My Ears
We're planning on coming to Disney on Monday for our first family trip. Weather is not looking great at all. Any tips on how to deal with the wet weather?

We're planning on coming to Disney on Monday for our first family trip. Weather is not looking great at all. Any tips on how to deal with the wet weather?

Ponchos, crocs (or some other shoes that don't get soggy when wet), a few extra sets of clothes and a good attitude. You can't control the weather, so don't worry about it. In fact, the parks tend to clear out when it rains so we actually look forward to the rain. And something else about the weather -- the weather in central Florida is very unpredictable. Some trips they've predicted rain the entire trip and it's only rained 1-2 days, or only in the afternoons for about 15 minutes.

Don't trust the weatherman! We just got back and the weather predicted rain all week. It rained on 2 days and not for the whole day.

Oye... it's Florida... they could literally put rain in the forecast for everyday and they'd be right on... some days is spottier than others, sometimes you get a heavy line of storms, but normally it doesn't last long... play the percentages and plan accordingly.

We are going next week too and we are just planning to be excited even for rain. We bought several $1 ponchos from Wal Mart and I will carry them everyday. We will still get to do most of the rides because half of them are inside so not too upset by it. I just thought of this - I think I will also pack a zip lock so I can put all the wet ponchos back in my bag since it will rain then stop then rain again. I would rather it not pour down rain the whole trip but I know that won't happen so we will take the sun when we can get it and enjoy the low crowds when we can't. A near walk on to rides like Soarin or Toy Story would be great for a few rain drops. Just mentally prepared yourself and think of all the fun things to do at Disney even when it's raining. Even thunderstorms won't last long there. I think my other two trips in December it rained a day or two and we still had so much fun. Good luck to both of us on the weather. We may be wishing for a little rain to cool things off!

Every kids likes a chance to play in the rain and there is no better place to get that chance than Disney. During hot weather and crowds, rain will be a blessing. Have a great time!

Rain isn't generally a large deal unless you have someone in your party allergic to water(like we do). It usually wont rain for terribly long unless it's a hurricane. The past week we've had days of rain, but it would just rain really heavy for about 15min-2hrs and then be done for the day.

When it rains, restaurants and shops fill up fast and outdoor rides will empty pretty quick. You'll still be able to do rides unless they are outdoor and there is lightning. So if you suspect rain and it's getting close to mealtime, get your seats fast and expect it to be loud indoors.

If you are planning on bringing little ones bring a small toy or a quiet book to keep them occupied while waiting for the worst storms to pass. Don't feel bad for sitting them down in a area of a store with less foot traffic(like in the circus tent near the walls) as I've seen plenty of people doing this without issue.

I'd invest in a light umbrella or ponchos and if it rains just head towards a ride that's indoors

Thanks everyone! I was able to grab some ponchos today and will pack those Crocs and the extra clothes!

Bring extra socks, have a plan for the rainiest day (All of EPCOT's rides are indoors (except the finale of Test Track)), and use Vasoline on your feet to prevent blisters from sandals.

Just remember that you aren't that sweet that you will melt! You will be fine. Unless it is thundering and lightning, you will be ok. And remember that rain usually clears out the suckers, it makes the park way less crowded. More humid, maybe, but less crowded!

If the rain is really bad (usually isn't) you could always go to Downtown Disney or go explore other resorts. Always keep a rain kit on you - flip flops, poncho, small towel

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter