Weather in February

parismeow

Mouseketeer
Hi all,

I am in the very early stages of planning a two week trip to Disney world (not until 2016), coming from Sydney Australia.

I recently visited Disneyland this september, and love love loved how quiet the parks were (but it was also stinking hot).
I was wondering about February, i take it that is is a quieter month, but i also want to be able to swim and go to the water parks.

Will i be able to do this in february? is it that cold? or still warm? if you were going would you wear coats in the parks? or just jeans and a t-shirt?
do people still swim in february?

would you recommend a different time to go?
thanks!

Paris

You're going to pretty much get the same response, could be mild, cold, or REALLY COLD! We've been twice during February, second trip, it was very pleasant, shorts for me all day, and just adding a small windbreaker at night. Swimming was very pleasant. First trip, we should have known we were in trouble when our plane was stuck on the tarmac in New Orleans, for three hours for de-icing, on our way to Disney World. Days weren't too bad, but nights were down right teeth chattering, especially waiting for fireworks, parades, etc. Although I think the resort pools were heated, swimming was out of the question, 'cause you know, you gotta get out sometime! Overall, February tends to be a great time for me, but I'm never cold. Shoulda' been an Eskimo! Well just my $0.02! :confused3

I live in Florida and I can tell you that February is an "iffy" month. Sometimes it's in the 70's during the day and 50's at night and sometimes it's in the 50's during the day and 30's at night. Also, don't get mistaken in thinking it's a slower month for WDW. No such thing anymore. School vacations here in the states are in February and March and Disney offers a lot of discounts to world visitors at that time. No such thing as "slower" months for WDW. Crowded all the time.

For the past 3 years, I've gone to WDW around the 2nd week of February (always getting out before Presidents Day). You will want to avoid the Presidents Day holiday weekend/following week; Pres Day is 2/15 in 2016. Compounding the problem with February in 2016, Mardi Gras is 2/9 that year. (Lots of schools in Louisiana and the overall Gulf Coast region are out of school that week.)

I will say, however, that I was there for Mardi Gras in 2013 when it was that early, and I actually thought it was fun, and the crowds weren't horrible. And other than that, I've found the early February crowds not bad at all (you won't have the park to yourself, but I've never found it a madhouse - I guess it all depends on what you expect).

As far as weather - Average highs are in the low 70s. My trips have been 5 nights (2012), 6 nights (2013), 6 nights (2014). Two miserable cold (but sunny & dry) mornings in 2012, then the rest of the trip was beautiful, sun & 70s, no precip. 2013, beautiful weather from first to last, probably right on average (70s for highs), no precip. 2014, 2 cool (not cold) and drippy/rainy days to start, then the rest of the trip was beautiful (again, prob 70s for highs, sun, no more precip after the first 2 days). My point is, I've had a few random cold or wet days, but it's always been nice for most if not all of the trip.

Now, I am not a pool person, but I certainly saw a fair number of people in the pools during the pleasant days on each trip. Be warned, however, that I think one or the other of the water parks is usually closed in Feb.

I've liked Feb, although I'm switching to the latter part of April next year for various reasons. We'll see how that works out.

I live here too and can tell you that Feb is a transition month. I would probably liken it to your October which is close to our late March up north. Not quite spring and not really winter. Early Feb will be cooler while late Feb can be kind of warm. Like the previous FL person posted, I'd definately bring a jacket or sweats & shorts. It will be too cold for FL people to swim but not for northerners here.

hmm thanks for your replies every one!
This is a tough one. I really want to go in february because this is the earliest i can get there, and i REALLY want to go to disney world.
But i also want to have the best trip possible, because it is a long way to come from Australia.
I have also been thinking about waiting until May, and be there on my birthday which sounds super awesome! i am guessing the weather is much cooler in may?
I will have to do some research and think about which would be better
any advice?
Thanks again

We are going in that same time frame that same year, and here's what we're thinking:
1. Yes, I wanna get there ASAP, so we already booked our room for 2/27-3/5 2016, knowing that we can adjust it when discounts come out. That was as far out as we could go, and I think it will be fairly pleasant weather wise and crowd wise, but am concerned my DD won't be able to swim, which will crush her.
2. You really don't want to be there March 27th, that's when Easter is that year! Also, the last night of our booking was a LOT more than the other nights, I think because we ran into peak season prices.
3. We're leaning toward mid April, warm enough to swim, but still not super hot yet. Also, shouldn't be crazy expensive.
4. May starts getting pretty hot, and you run into Star Wars weekends, Flower and Garden Festival (in April too), etc. so it could get busy. Still not into summer rates quite yet though, so that's good. Most schools here won't be on summer breaks yet.

I hope any or all of this helps, and I hope you have a wonderful trip!! :cool1:

I would definitely recommend checking the weather a week before coming so you know what to pack. However, Feb is still considered winter so most likely you won't be able to swim but a jean jacket around that time should be perfect. Have fun :)

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

I have done a bit more research and a lot of hard thinking and have officially chosen to do may 2016 because then i will be there for my birthday which would be super fun!

It should be ok if it is a little busy - we are planning to go for 14 days so i think we can get most things done!

Also if i push it back to may then i can go to the opening of disneyland in Shanghai at the end of 2015! thought that would be really awesome to be there on opening day!

I'm planning a solo trip at the end of Jan into the first week of Feb and was wondering about weather, too. Lots of great info in this thread. Thanks everyone :)

Thanks guys for all the suggestions.

I have done a bit more research and a lot of hard thinking and have officially chosen to do may 2016 because then i will be there for my birthday which would be super fun!

It should be ok if it is a little busy - we are planning to go for 14 days so i think we can get most things done!

Also if i push it back to may then i can go to the opening of disneyland in Shanghai at the end of 2015! thought that would be really awesome to be there on opening day!

End or April or early to mid May is my favorite time to go. Weather has always been fantastic and Flower and Garden festival is in full swing. We see it as a reward for getting through the rough winter months. For us, nothing worse than leaving WDW and going home - only to have another 6 weeks of winter left.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter