Weather forecast not looking good

sunrise717

Mouseketeer
We have an double dip cruise coming up ( we are almost paying double for the dd to castaway) and the weather forecast is NOT looking good...calling for rain with no sun on the forecast for all of the days !!! trying to stay positive but ...

Back in 2011 on the Wonder's west bound Panama Canal cruise we unfortunately missed Castaway Cay because the wind was just too strong for the ship to pull into port. The captain made several attempts. So instead the captain made a beeline to what would have been our next days stop (if I remember correctly, Aruba) and we spent the entire night and our scheduled day there. They kept the ship gangway open all night for those that wanted to get off, to go gamble is my guess. Don't believe much else would be open all night.

On our very first cruise (Big Red Boat, 1987) it was so windy and rainy they docked at Nassau for two days because it would have been to rough of weather to anchor off their private island and tender people back and fourth. They did try from Nassau but cancelled it after the first launch.

On one of our CC visits everyone was called out of the water. You could see a system moving in. My sons friend and I still had a ways to swim from the snorkeling area when a big wind and heavy rain hit. It lasted a few minutes, passed through and we had sun but the wind never really let up.

Keep an eye on the weather site. Reports typically change with each passing day so don't give up hope. Here's some pixy dust pixiedust: pixiedust: pixiedust:

The forecast you are looking at may be right--or it may be all wrong.

I wouldn't worry about it----

Unless the weather is extremely bad, don't think they switch routes or ports just due to rain.

FWIW our forecast looked pretty terrible for our WC in September and it was lovely the whole time. I think I watched us pass through some rain while at the gym one afternoon.

We have an double dip cruise coming up ( we are almost paying double for the dd to castaway) and the weather forecast is NOT looking good...calling for rain with no sun on the forecast for all of the days !!! trying to stay positive but ...

I wouldn't worry just yet. Our forecast for Cozumel was "100%" chance of (no joke) "tons of rain".

We cancelled our excursion and stayed on board. It wound up just being partly cloudy.

I think we still would have had tons of fun if the weather wasn't ideal.

Don't worry. Weather is so hard to forecast in that part of the world. Forecasts change within hours of the day in question. Just go and take the adventure as it comes. The captain will keep you out of harm's way while doing what he can to make sure everyone has a fabulous time. If conditions are unsafe excursions will be cancelled & you won't be charged. Even if you have a rainy day, go do some puddle jumping together. 10 years from now when you look back you won't lament the $$ spent, you'll laugh about how you did something so distinctly fun in spite of the rain. Right?

We were on the 9/26 Wonder double dip. I had been checking the weather and the hurricane site daily. I finally stopped looking a week before the cruise. Told myself that our cruise was going to be great no matter what the weather, and that I needed to stop worrying.
Our cruise had great weather, but even if it did not, I know we would have had a fabulous time!
Hope your cruise is fantastic!!

don't sweat it...the captain can also take a route around bad weather....it'll be fine and you'll have a blast...

We are on the same cruise.

Not much can be done about the weather. Keep in mind if there is a chance of rain/T-storms in the day they will show it. Meaning this isn't an hour by hour forecast. Maybe it will rain in the morning and be nice all afternoon. We have been in Fl now for the last few days and the weather has been great but the forecasts are showing changes coming. Systems coming up through the Gulf across Fl. We are watching forecasts in the Tampa area and they are saying most of the systems will be staying south of here but that means as it crosses it may hit Nassau and CC area.

I have been periodically checking Accuweather has been changing the forecast several times a day. Yesterday it was partly cloudy though the entire cruise. This morning showed storms in Nassau but sunny both days at CC. Now this afternoon the completely reversed it and are saying rain every day.

Nassau

Castaway

While they will move things around a bit if they can for better weather. Keep in mind there is only so much they can do. On a short 4 day cruise there isn't much that they can change around. The biggest thing I saw in the current forecast that concerns me is the high winds on the second CC day. Depending on direction that may turn that into a sea day. Like you, we picked this date because it was a DD. We have been in FL all week and could have easily gone this week but when you book a year out there is no way to predict the weather.

Stop worrying about the weather as you cannot do ONE thing to change it. Nothing. Zero. Worry about the things you can control!

Stop worrying about the weather as you cannot do ONE thing to change it. Nothing. Zero. Worry about the things you can control!
Ouch, some people will only get one cruise in their whole entire life, most people will get none. But since way before anybody can even remember, everybody dreams of a sunny vacation. Nobody wants to know that they're going to have a wet and wild ugly week. Cut some slack, somebody's wind has literally been taken from their sails! You knew what direction this was going to go as soon as you saw the opening line. Now DISboards is about helping people, go look and see if you can find somebody to help.

And OP as for your bad weather, I'm sorry that this will not make your trip as you had hoped. I was on the Magic just after a pretty bad storm. I did have a few rainy days of course it had to be the day that we were at sea. Several of the excursions were canceled because of weather conditions even though it was sunny out. With that said...The reason the navigators are only done one day in advance is because of the weather. You'll notice on a sunnier days the navigator will have fewer indoor activities. On a rainy day everybody working top side and in the sun will now be inside creating a new opportunities for cruisers to enjoy. They really will work hard for you to enjoy your day.

During my bad weather and the incredibly large swells that were making several sick,(since you can expect large swells you might want to check into seasick patches). If you get the chance during these large swells go up to the goofy pool and see if the water is splashing a good 10-15 feet out of the pool. It's the wildest thing to look at. I'm sorry I never got pictures of it. Try to have a good time they will take good care of you I'm sure. Bring some disposable raincoats pick them up at the dollar store.

We're on the same cruise (10/23) and I've been checking the weather several times a day. Still hoping it gets better as we've been looking forward to two days at Castaway Cay. It looks like there will be a bit of wind too for our entire trip - guess we'll just have to wait and see what happens. We did a western once and couldn't tender at Grand Cayman due to high winds. Went to Key West instead and had a great time. I'm sure they will do everything they can to make sure that no matter what the weather brings, it will be a great cruise! But it will be disappointing if we don't make Castaway Cay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter