Wearing White to Prom?

Tinkerbellish

<font color=blue>Is neither sappy, nor pathetic...
So, prom season is just about approaching for me. Okay so I lied, it's not until June, but I've got my date so I better start looking for a dress now right? Haha, well anyway I was wondering what your opinion on wearing white to prom was. I am fearful of it appearing to be too marital, especially with my date in a tuxedo. This is the dress that I plan on getting:

backofdress.png

lolrealbackofdress.png

In stores the back tie is actually made of a white, gauzy silk.

I for one am not a fan of poofy dresses, so this looks like it could be the match for me! What do you think? Is white alright? I'm also afraid of it looking too plain.

For reference, this is me at Winter Ball in December (also in the least flattering material in the world; silk!):
mebeingawesome.png

It is not uncommon to see white gowns in our school. But it is more of a tradition for the senior girls to wear white, not the underclassman. Not sure why:confused3 ? Anyone else know?

Beautiful gown btw:thumbsup2 !

I think you would look AMAZING in that white gown! Go for it! :cheer2:

I think it's beautiful! I wore a white gown to my prom. With your pretty coloring it will be very dramatic. Go for it!

It is not uncommon to see white gowns in our school. But it is more of a tradition for the senior girls to wear white, not the underclassman. Not sure why:confused3 ? Anyone else know?

That's how it is here as well. White for Seniors. What grade are you in?

Beautiful dress. Don´t know anything about prom "rules" so I´m sorry I can´t help you there.

Same here... white for seniors.

Lovely gown. I think you would be beautiful in it!

You are kidding? White for Seniors only? I didn't know there were rules....
Jeez.
:confused3

I wore a white dress my senior year (had nothing to do with being a senior, just loved the dress!). Of course this was back when big hair was in and it was short (mini skirt length) so I definitely didn't look like I was a bride! I think my hair was taller than the skirt was long!:lmao:

I think if you're worried about looking like a bride, go with something different. Because if you're a little worried about it now, you will be totally self-concious about it on prom night! I love the style of the dress though! You could probably find one in a similar style in a different color.princess:

I wore white, not quite as sexy as that gown though!
My date wore a white tux with tales! (my DH)
This was 27 years ago, how time flies.
I never thought that it was to marital, I love white

I think you will look beautiful in that gown:thumbsup2

Ohhhh, I graduated a loonnnggg time ago!!!!! The year 1983 to be exact. I'm just going through prom phase with my 3 DD's. Actually, I don't remember the "senior white gown rule" way back then, but it seems "the thing" now.

My prom is coming up in 6 days and I have never heard of the "white dress rule". Maybe thats because our prom is a junior prom and the only way anyone else can go is if a junior asks them. And at that, if a senior girl is asked, she usually wears her prom dress from her own prom. I think its a really pretty dress and go with what you live. Trust me, if you find a dress that you think is "THE" dress, but don't get it, you will regret it.

You mean irridecint purple is no longer it:confused3 LOLOL Oh bad prom dress memories

I think the dress would look great on you, it would really show off your dark hair. DD is a senior this year and I never heard of the "white dress for seniors" rule. I do not think it looks like a wedding dress, I would say go for it! Whatever you decide have a great night, and don't forget to post pictures!

White is very popular if you plan on joining a sorority in college since you have to have white dresses for rituals and presentation. You will probably see alot of white dresses during prom season for this reason. If you like the dress wear it. :)

It's a beautiful dress and doesn't look like a wedding dress at all. I think you should wear it. You look very pretty in your winter formal dress, too. Silk may not be flattering on many, but it obviously is on you!

I am 16 and a Sophomore. :]

I had never heard of any of the sorority/presentation reasonings, but then again I am not from an area where that is too apparent. (Bay Area)

Thank you for all the comments ladies. I really think I want this! (Unless I find something mindblowingly better of course. ;] )

The sorority thing is mainly a southeast thing so its really big down where I grew up.

Have fun at the prom!

I went to prom last year in a black and white dress. I'm not going this year, but my sister is and she bought a long white dress that looks twice as marital than that dress. Last year at prom, there were quite a few white dresses. Also, I had never heard of the rule for seniors to wear white. I mean, go for what will make you feel best. It's prom! Make it a night to remember and if white makes you feel better than any other color, go for it! No one will care whether you are following "prom rules" or not. And hey...it's a formal gathering so it's going to look like a wedding reception with long gowns and tuxes.

In my opinion, that dress is not very marital-esque. Not all white dresses are. As long as you don't stick a veil on your head I wouldn't worry about it ;) heh. You'll look "gaw-jus" I just know it! :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter