• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Wearing masks...

DW and I are both dreading it when masks are made compulsory in the UK (and it’s going to happen at some point). I suffer severe panic attacks when anything is put across my face (a very bad experience as a kid with an anaesthetic mask at the dentist) and I can’t even bear to wear a scarf in freezing weather, and DW is asthmatic and basically can’t breathe if her nose and mouth are covered. I’m desperately glad also that I’m close enough to retirement that if masks are made compulsory in workplaces that can’t arrange social distancing (and my employers can’t do that as we’re a small company with limited space for the desks) - and that’s another possibility being mooted - I can afford to quit. Unless I’m allowed to continue working from home when the office reopens, which I can do exactly the same as if I was in the office as we’re entirely paperless.

We may have to resign ourselves to getting groceries and prescriptions delivered and not going out at all until there is a vaccine.
While there are currently many trials going on for a vaccine, there might also never be a vaccine, like there isn't any vaccine for HIV. They've been working on that since the 1980's.

Here is information on respiratory protection from NIOSH. Go down to the section on Respirators. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/respirator-use-faq.html

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/prevent-getting-sick/cloth-face-cover-faq.html

I guess even bad use is better than none, right ? I will say though that the worst users are the ones with hospital grade masks! Like pulling them down and up etc. I actually saw a woman and her husband (in their 70's) who pulled their N95 masks down in the grocery store and proceed to open a bag of chips and share them in the check out line. Um, hello, STUPID! I just don't understand it- people with masks coming on up into my personal space- and I mean ON TOP of me, almost touching me- not even ok pre pandemic! People are odd! lol!
I find it doesn't matter if they are wearing masks or not. Some people do not keep their distance.

Someone mentioned earlier about wearing them in the car. I am becoming accustom to them and just don't realize that I have it on. Just did that today. I've seen many with them on in a car and honestly I don't care if they do or don't. At least they are willing to wear a mask.

I can't find it now, but thevother day I saw something about the percentages from wearing a mask. These numbers are what i remember, not accurate except the third one.
  • If Person B a mask and Person A doesn't, and they're together, Person A's chance of getting COVID-19 is somwhere around 40%.
  • If Person A wears a mask and Person B doesn't, Person A's chance of catching it is somewhere in the vicinity of 16%.
  • When A and B both wear masks in each other's company, the chance of transmission drops to 5%.
Assumes, of course, one person has The Virus.

According to Snopes - mostly false:

https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/covid-19-mask-efficacy-chart/

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter