We Need More Cowbell! Aug 2012 TR *NEW*10/15 - Last Day & Wrap Up 4 NEW POSTS!

I'm so glad you were able to exchange your FPs. Thank goodness.

That Toy Story (not TSM, the other one) looks so cool inside and your DH got great pictures,

Yum - your breakfast did look good.

I know how your DH feels about wanting to get a better picture. I do the same thing. His POC pictures turned out great!

Paradise Pier looks so empty during the time your entered. It must be so cool to just be able to walk between parks.

Just reading your trip report and loving it! Im so excited to see carsland. I love the pictures!

Thanks!!

I'm so glad you were able to exchange your FPs. Thank goodness.

That Toy Story (not TSM, the other one) looks so cool inside and your DH got great pictures,

Yum - your breakfast did look good.

I know how your DH feels about wanting to get a better picture. I do the same thing. His POC pictures turned out great!

Paradise Pier looks so empty during the time your entered. It must be so cool to just be able to walk between parks.

Oh what a hassle that stupid FP nonsense was! When it dawned on me that we DID need the second show, I was so annoyed for not realizing it sooner and getting those FPs exchanged the first time, especially when the second CM wouldn't do it. But thank goodness we got it figured out.

He will be happy to read his painstaking attempts to get better & better pictures are appreciated, I'll make sure to let him know you liked them!

It's awesome being able to walk between the parks. It was great for both of our DL trips, the first one because we had DS with us, and this one because we were so short on time. Park hopping in WDW takes so much more time, even with a car. In DL, it's nothing! We got so much done in our short amount of time this trip because of that. It was great!

We made it to GRR and picked up our FP for the first WoC show (that's a lot of acronyms in one sentence!
::yes::

Seriously LOVE this roller coaster!!!
I want to try it... one of these days. If I keep saying it, maybe it will happen.

I love pretty much all Disney attractions except a rare few (I'm looking at you, Country Bears!)
Hey, this latest refurb might be all you need to make you come around to them.

We spent a good little while in there, looking at all of the bulletin boards and glass cases. There were also some trivia games we had fun playing for awhile. It was a nice place to get out of the sun and away from the crowds of people.
I'm a Disney nerd. I'd love looking through all of that stuff, even if it was mostly models of a new park that had just opened and I had just explored it. :rotfl:

We stopped there again to exchange our FP's only to find the CM from earlier was not there and the new CM was telling me she couldn't do that.
What?:confused3 You actually expected the other CM to be there and the whole process to be seamless?

Hopefully it will not be disappointing to ride Pirates (and Space Mountain!) when we go back to WDW in a few weeks. I have gotten spoiled with back to back visits to the "better" versions in DL!
Um... well, the lesser versions of Pirates and Space still beat about 99% of all other theme park rides in this country that are not located in Anaheim, CA or Lake Buena Vista, FL. :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

We walked over to DCA and straight GRR to exchange our WOC FP's for ones for the later show, which luckily went smoothly this time.
:thumbsup2

By the way, you didn't happen to be wearing a pedometer that day, did you? :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

We also had time to watch the Saints game while we were getting ready, which was nice.
It was nice? This is the 2012 Saints we're talking about, right? :confused3 :faint:

::yes::

I want to try it... one of these days. If I keep saying it, maybe it will happen.

Hey, this latest refurb might be all you need to make you come around to them.

Doubtful! Although seems as though they are making it shorter, so at least it will be slightly less torture when I do have to sit through it.

I'm a Disney nerd. I'd love looking through all of that stuff, even if it was mostly models of a new park that had just opened and I had just explored it. :rotfl:

It was so interesting! And still fun to look at although we had just finished looking at the real thing not too long before. It was still cool to see how it came together and what level of detail they were planning in, down to explaining the details of the CM uniforms.

What?:confused3 You actually expected the other CM to be there and the whole process to be seamless?

I know, what ever could I have been thinking?! :confused3

Um... well, the lesser versions of Pirates and Space still beat about 99% of all other theme park rides in this country that are not located in Anaheim, CA or Lake Buena Vista, FL. :thumbsup2 :rotfl:

True that!

:thumbsup2

By the way, you didn't happen to be wearing a pedometer that day, did you? :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

That would have been a great idea! We walked all over that day!!

It was nice? This is the 2012 Saints we're talking about, right? :confused3 :faint:

Yes, it was actually nice! :rotfl: We don't get to see many preseason games because we have satellite, and of course the game airing nationally was while we were in California! But we are always excited to watch our Black & Gold Boys, no matter what!! And they actually won that game anyway! ;)

Great update! Love all the pictures. One of my favorite is the picture of Harry Hausen's Poster in the Monster's Inc queue. Now I'm reeeealy curious what the menu says. :goodvibes Will have to find out for myself in 18 days!

I'm probably going to be like your DH with fiddling with my camera in the dark rides for my upcoming trip especially since I'll be solo. I've been reading up on tips on what kind of settings to use for the dark rides at Disney. Curious to find out what kind of lens your DH was using and what settings he was using on his camera ;)

Anyway, another fun report! Keep'em coming!

I was shooting with a Canon XSi and a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. Love that lens. Basically I was just messing with the iso and seeing how low I could put the shutter speed before the ride movement was too much to stay in focus. I kept switching back and forth between 800 and 1600 on the iso to see how much noise I would get in the shot. I was happy with how some of the shots came out, but I didn't get to do any post processing before DW started posting pictures. So these shots are straight from the camera no editing.

It's just tough to get the perfect shot inside the rides, you usually only get one shot and every bump, movement, or persons head in front of you can throw the shot off. frustrating but fun at the same time.

Since I don't have too many days off between now and our October WDW trip, I'm going to be updating a little more frequently. And expect big updates at a time! I want to have this one finished before we leave for WDW.

DAY 2 Continued: Saturday August 25th

At around 6:45 pm, showered & dressed nice, we headed out to the car to drive over to the Disneyland Hotel for our dinner at Steakhouse 55. It didn't take long to get there, so we arrived a bit early to check in. That was fine because we had wanted some time to look around anyway. After handing the keys over to the valet, we found someone to take our picture with Mickey & Minnie before heading inside.

0905.jpg

The lobby was pretty, but what I really loved was the artwork!

0908.jpg

0909.jpg

0911.jpg

Cool memorabilia wall

0912.jpg

Umbrellas hanging from the ceiling? I don't know, it just looked pretty.

We went over to the hostess station to check in, and the CM says she doesn't see the reservation. I insist that it was for 7:20 and explained I had made the reservation through the email ADR system. She said it was not a problem, they could seat us anyway, but I was a little annoyed so I went to try and pull up my email on my phone while we waited. And yet ANOTHER instance where my timing was way off...our dinner was scheduled for the next night! Boy, did I feel like an idiot. I went back up to tell the CM so she could cancel our reservation for the next night and she laughed and said she had found the one for Sunday night in the system and cancelled it already. She said it happens all the time, but I bet she was just trying to be nice. Lol

It didn't really matter in the end, because we only waited for maybe 5 minutes at the bar before someone came to bring us to our table. We had already looked over the menu online at home, so we had an idea of what we wanted but decided to look at them anyway while we munched on some more delicious sourdough bread. We don't usually order appetizers, but this one sounded so good, we decided to get it anyway. And it was our anniversary, why not indulge, right?

0913.jpg

Lump Crab Cakes with Remoulade​

Oh my gosh, SO GOOD! They were so creamy and delicious, and had plenty of crab. The sauce was really good too, I was tempted to lick it off the plate, but I didn't.

After devouring the crab cakes, we asked our waitress to take our picture.

0914.jpg

For our entrees, I had the Filet Mignon while DH had the New York Strip. The side items are big enough to share, and even though I really wanted the mashed potatoes, DH is not a big fan of potatoes and we knew we wouldn't be able to finish our steaks and 2 sides (we wanted dessert!) so we went with the macaroni & cheese that came with 4 cheeses and bacon. The mac & cheese was delicious, and the steaks were nearly perfect! DH's cut of meat was huge, and I think he took it as a challenge to finish it all. Unfortunately, I guess we were so excited about how delicious our entrees looked that we forgot to take pictures of them.

We did, however, get a picture of our dessert!

0916.jpg

24 Layer Chocolate Cake - Chocolate Sponge Cake, Grand Marnier, Milk Chocolate, Dark Chocolate and Nutella, Vanilla Ice Cream​

Chocolately heaven on a plate is about the only way to describe this! And it was so tall, we were not even sure where to start. We were taking pieces the same way you would from a normal piece of cake, but stopping halfway down until it got small enough for us to flip over and eat that way. Trying to figure out how to eat it was half the fun! I got stuffed less than halfway through the cake, but again DH saw it as a challenge. As valiantly as he tried though, there was no finishing that cake after all we had eaten that night!

We rolled out of there so stuffed I could have gone back to the room and gone right to bed. But no, we still had things to do that night! DH stayed in his dinner outfit, but my dress was definitely not park ready. I had brought some clothes, so I changed in the bathroom and we headed out to the car to drive to the parking garage.

Our destination for the night was DCA, and we made it into the park around 9:20 pm. The first thing we wanted to do was go over and see Cars Land lit up. I had read that tip on the DL boards that most people skip over it at night because they head there first thing in the morning. So I definitely wanted to see it "turned on"!

0925.jpg

0940.jpg

0948.jpg

0951.jpg

0955.jpg

0958.jpg

0966.jpg

It was a lot of fun strolling around and seeing all of the fluorescent lighting on all of the buildings. Since the first WoC show was happening, it wasn't very crowded, so you really felt like it was a casual walk through Radiator Springs at night. We contemplated riding something, but then we were just enjoying it and taking it all in, and we didn't want to be late for WoC, so we didn't.

Our WoC show was set to start at 10:15, but we were not worried about getting a fantastic view, so we took our time getting over there. It was probably 10 or a little after before we found our spot. It was not crowded at all. We were one section or so back from where we were last time, and we were able to walk right up to the railing with no one in front of us. And we were raised up a little so we had an almost unobstructed view. We were right next to come kind of overhang that went over the walkway so the posts obstructed our view to the left by the slightest. But overall, definitely not a bad spot or view for walking up less than 15 minutes beforehand!

Again, I told DH not to worry about taking pictures since he had gotten so many in May, but he insisted! So I'll share some of the better ones with you.

1000.jpg

1003.jpg

1011.jpg

1026.jpg

1097.jpg

1119.jpg

1129.jpg

1131.jpg

1142.jpg

Once again, an absolutely stunning, beautiful show! The addition of Brave was new for us since last time, and that part was okay, if not a little too long. Or maybe I just thought so because I haven't seen the movie yet! lol The only thing missing was DS snuggled up in my arms this time. I'm pretty sure I could just watch this show every night and never get tired of it!

After the show, we made our way slowly up to the front of the park. We passed the Mad T Party, and DH got a picture.

1160.jpg

We stopped in the art store, Off the Page, for a bit, and DH bought a couple of Vinylmations while I looked at gorgeous pieces of Disney art we will never be able to afford! After shopping, we made our way up Buena Vista Street, and got stopped by one of the survey people. Well, DH and his love of surveys, he said yes. But only one of us could do it, so he follows the CM inside and I'm sitting there waiting. And waiting. And waiting. So I run across the street to use the restroom and when I come out, DH is still nowhere to be found. Meanwhile people I saw other CMs taking in after DH are now coming out! I started worrying a bit once I realized DH had my cellphone in his pocket since I didn't bring a bag that night, and I had no way to get in contact with him. I started thinking what if he came out while I was in the restroom and couldn't find me so he started walking around looking for me? Or thought I went to the car so he went to the car?

Finally, the CM that had taken him inside appeared and I asked him if DH was still inside and he said yes. Turns out I did all that panicking over nothing, just because DH is so thorough on his surveys that he takes forever!!

Once we were reunited, we left the park. The wait for the trams was huuuuuuuge, so we decided to walk. We got back to the resort at 11:45 and went straight to bed. No sleeping for us on this trip!

Continued in Next Post...

DAY 3: Sunday August 26th

Despite getting to bed at midnight the night before, we were up and ready to go at 7 am (hey, that's almost sleeping in on a Disney vacation, right?!). We got dressed and headed down the hall to check out the complimentary breakfast. This was the only morning we got to "enjoy" that perk since we were up and out too early on our other mornings. It wasn't too exciting. They had cereal, boiled eggs, frozen waffles, croissants, donuts, and fruit. I really was hoping for at least a muffin, but no go. So I had half a croissant and a donut, while DH stuffed his face with I think 3 donuts! lol He's skinny, he can afford the calories.

We left for the park and actually got into the parking garage a few minutes before it actually opened. But soon enough, we were parked and on the tram headed to the parks. We got into DCA a little after 8, the official opening time. But of course, the park had been open an hour earlier for resort guests and AP holders, so we knew riding RSR standby was not an option and didn't feel the need to hurry.

1163.jpg

We made our way over to Cars Land and rode using the Single Rider line, which took less than the 30 minute posted time, probably only about 20 minutes. But as we were coming out, the SR line looked a LOT longer! So we made it in and out before it got too bad. Another great ride on RSR!

We went over to get some WoC FP's for that night, and decided to go ahead and get some for GRR as well. We both decided it was time to bite the bullet and ride some water rides this time! So the plan was to hang onto the FP's until later in the day. We were going to head over to DL at some point and ride Splash Mountain, then come back to ride GRR at DCA before leaving the park to get ready for church. We figured doing both water rides back to back right before leaving the parks was our best option!

Since we had hit all the headliners for the most part the day before, we didn't rush around as much. So the next thing we did was go over to the Animation building and check out the Sorcerer's Workshop, something we had skipped last trip.

1164.jpg

1165.jpg

1169.jpg

There were a few of these that were pretty neat. You spin the drum and it has pictures on the inside that animate on the mirror in the center as it spins. It was neat!

1179.jpg

Inside the workshop

1184.jpg

Beast's Library! I think I gasped out loud when we walked in here.

1189.jpg

1194.jpg

1195.jpg

1196.jpg

I photobombed DH while he was getting ready for his personality quiz

1197.jpg

The next room was too dark to get any good photographs but it was Ursula's undersea lair with the little kiosks where you can record yourself saying lines from a scene in a Disney movie. All of the little games were basically the same ones at the Animation building in DHS, but each in themed rooms instead of just strewn about the room. It was really cool and fun to try out all of the games!

1208.jpg

The art on the walls in the lobby changes

1212.jpg

A huge figure in the center of another room that you spin and it animates all the characters doing something different (Woody riding Bullseye, Jessie spinning her lasso, the aliens jumping off the teeter totter)​

This is also where the animation classes are and I think, Turtle Talk with Crush, but we decided to skip those this time. One thing different about the animation classes here is there was a schedule posted of what character would be drawn at what class instead of like DHS where it's whoever the CM or class decides to draw.

1231.jpg

On the way out

After finishing up there, we walked over to Tower of Terror which had a posted wait of only 13 minutes.

1232.jpg

1235.jpg

1236.jpg

We walked in and went straight into the library, and then when we came out into the boiler room part of the queue, we made it right onto the next elevator! It was DH's first time experiencing it in DCA, and he too enjoyed it, but it just can't beat the WDW version of going into the ride and the random drop sequence.

As we were walking around figuring out what to do next, we spotted the Red Car Trolley on a side street and asked about riding it, but they were getting ready to do a show with it on Buena Vista Street, so we settled for just a picture of it.

1238.jpg

Next on our whirlwind tour of DCA? The Bakery Tour! lol Can you tell we were just not rushing around this morning?!

1239.jpg

1243.jpg

Some Mickey bread cooling on the racks​

It was pretty interesting to see what an intricate process making sourdough bread is. And it doesn't hurt that you get samples too! I was so sorely tempted to buy a loaf, but I couldn't figure out how we would get it home (if we didn't eat it all before then!), so we had to be satisfied with our samples.

DAY 3 Continued: Sunday August 26th

After the tour, we went over to Little Mermaid and walked right on again.

1244.jpg

1245.jpg

1250.jpg

1256.jpg

1258.jpg

1268.jpg

1272.jpg

1282.jpg

1283.jpg

1284.jpg

It seems like even though the ride itself will be pretty much the same, WDW is definitely going to have the better queue if the pictures I've seen are any indication!

When we finished came up from under the sea, it was about 10 am, and we were about done with DCA, we left to see what was happening over at Disneyland.

UP NEXT: Hunt for Disneyland History

So...was the reason you forgot that you couldn't go to the 9 PM WoC show because your brain was telling you dinner wasn't until the next night? Ugh...my head hurts. Good thing you didn't do that at Le Cellier!

Ooh...I wish you had gotten pictures of your steak. I am hoping we get to eat at Steakhouse 55 as part of the BSM tour next June, I think that's a standard stop. DW and I LOVE steak! And 4 cheese and bacon macaroni, I'm salivating on my keyboard. That appetizer and dessert both look scrumptious.

More great pictures of WoC, too! I really can't wait to see that show again at least once more, if maybe not twice next year.

We skipped the Scorcer's Workshop on our trip. Our DD would've loved it, but we already spent too much time on "minor" attractions like that, so I'm glad we passed it up. We did see that Toy Story cyclorama thing. It was simply amazing. I think I have video of it, but I haven't yet loaded the videos on the computer. Maybe this weekend.

I was shooting with a Canon XSi and a Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens. Love that lens. Basically I was just messing with the iso and seeing how low I could put the shutter speed before the ride movement was too much to stay in focus. I kept switching back and forth between 800 and 1600 on the iso to see how much noise I would get in the shot. I was happy with how some of the shots came out, but I didn't get to do any post processing before DW started posting pictures. So these shots are straight from the camera no editing.

It's just tough to get the perfect shot inside the rides, you usually only get one shot and every bump, movement, or persons head in front of you can throw the shot off. frustrating but fun at the same time.

Thank you! That was very helpful and the unprocessed pics looked great!

I was planning on using a 50mm f/1.8 (Canon T2i) for the dark rides and using a high iso - I've been reading people like to use shutter speeds between 1/40 and 1/50 but I'll have to experiment with it. Was thinking ISO 1600 or 3200 but will have to play around with that as well. Was going to use continuous shots to see if I can increase my chances of capturing a few good shots out of many. :thumbsup2

Thanks again!

Looking at your WoC pictures, I'm starting to wish I could see it during my upcoming trip. Will just have to wait until next time.

Favorite picture of the update - the one with Sebastian in the foreground and Ariel/Eric in the background.

I'll admit - I skimmed through your update, but mostly because those pictures (especially the night time ones) are stunning. Your DH is quite the photographer!

Thank you! That was very helpful and the unprocessed pics looked great!

I was planning on using a 50mm f/1.8 (Canon T2i) for the dark rides and using a high iso - I've been reading people like to use shutter speeds between 1/40 and 1/50 but I'll have to experiment with it. Was thinking ISO 1600 or 3200 but will have to play around with that as well. Was going to use continuous shots to see if I can increase my chances of capturing a few good shots out of many. :thumbsup2

Thanks again!

I have that lens as well and used it for several trips. It does very well on dark rides. I just didn't like the constraints of the prime lens. I liked having some zoom range in case I missed a shot I could adjust and try again. I love doing continuous for stuff with lots of action like the fireworks and parades, I usually end up with some good ones that way.

I'll admit - I skimmed through your update, but mostly because those pictures (especially the night time ones) are stunning. Your DH is quite the photographer!

Thank You!:thumbsup2

I have that lens as well and used it for several trips. It does very well on dark rides. I just didn't like the constraints of the prime lens. I liked having some zoom range in case I missed a shot I could adjust and try again. I love doing continuous for stuff with lots of action like the fireworks and parades, I usually end up with some good ones that way.

Thanks for the tips! I'm a little worried about the same thing with using a prime lens - feel like some of the shots could get too tight. But I think it's my best option and the fastest lens I have. Still in the process of saving up to get the 17-55 f/2.8 for my walkabout lens - till then have to keep using my kit lens.

We went over to the hostess station to check in, and the CM says she doesn't see the reservation. I insist that it was for 7:20 and explained I had made the reservation through the email ADR system. She said it was not a problem, they could seat us anyway, but I was a little annoyed so I went to try and pull up my email on my phone while we waited. And yet ANOTHER instance where my timing was way off...our dinner was scheduled for the next night! Boy, did I feel like an idiot.
:headache:
I'm sure you're not the only one to have ever done that, but I'm sure it isn't the best feeling in the world. :rotfl2:

DH's cut of meat was huge, and I think he took it as a challenge to finish it all.
You can't let a good steak go unfinished. :thumbsup2

24 Layer Chocolate Cake - Chocolate Sponge Cake, Grand Marnier, Milk Chocolate, Dark Chocolate and Nutella, Vanilla Ice Cream
:eek: I want one!

but again DH saw it as a challenge.
That's the spirit!:thumbsup2

As valiantly as he tried though, there was no finishing that cake after all we had eaten that night!
NOOOOOO!!!! :scared1:

The pictures of Carsland at night and WoC are great! I'm glad you guys took the opportunity to head back over to Carsland just to walk around and take in the night version. It looks like something straight of the movie, even more so than the daytime pictures.

So...was the reason you forgot that you couldn't go to the 9 PM WoC show because your brain was telling you dinner wasn't until the next night? Ugh...my head hurts. Good thing you didn't do that at Le Cellier!

Ooh...I wish you had gotten pictures of your steak. I am hoping we get to eat at Steakhouse 55 as part of the BSM tour next June, I think that's a standard stop. DW and I LOVE steak! And 4 cheese and bacon macaroni, I'm salivating on my keyboard. That appetizer and dessert both look scrumptious.

More great pictures of WoC, too! I really can't wait to see that show again at least once more, if maybe not twice next year.

We skipped the Scorcer's Workshop on our trip. Our DD would've loved it, but we already spent too much time on "minor" attractions like that, so I'm glad we passed it up. We did see that Toy Story cyclorama thing. It was simply amazing. I think I have video of it, but I haven't yet loaded the videos on the computer. Maybe this weekend.

:rotfl: I have no idea!! Apparently I had a lot of things jumbled around in my brain and things like date and time had no meaning anymore!! The steaks were absolutely delicious. Heck, everything we had there was delicious!

We were excited about getting to see WoC multiple times since it didn't work out that way for us in May. LOVE that show!

Yeah, the Sorcerer's Workshop was a nice place to spend some time if you have already done everything else you wanted to see in the park. That's why we skipped a lot of those walk thrus last time. But with just 2 of us and having just recently been it was nice to spend time in them instead of just running from attraction to attraction like we did last trip!

I don't think we got video of it, but I would love to see yours. It was so awesome looking as it was spinning!

Looking at your WoC pictures, I'm starting to wish I could see it during my upcoming trip. Will just have to wait until next time.

Favorite picture of the update - the one with Sebastian in the foreground and Ariel/Eric in the background.

Maybe time & crowds will be on your side and you will have a chance to see it. It's really breathtaking!

That's one of my favorites too!

I tease him for how obsessed he is with taking pictures of everything, but I do really appreciate all his hard work when I look back through them. :goodvibes

:headache:
I'm sure you're not the only one to have ever done that, but I'm sure it isn't the best feeling in the world. :rotfl2:

You can't let a good steak go unfinished. :thumbsup2

:eek: I want one!

That's the spirit!:thumbsup2

NOOOOOO!!!! :scared1:

The pictures of Carsland at night and WoC are great! I'm glad you guys took the opportunity to head back over to Carsland just to walk around and take in the night version. It looks like something straight of the movie, even more so than the daytime pictures.

:lmao: on your dinner commentary!

I was really glad I had read the tip about not skipping over Cars Land at night, it looked so incredible with all of the lights turned on! And visiting during the first WoC show worked out great. It wasn't empty by any means but you could tell when the show finished because it got REALLY crowded!

When I left off, we had just finished riding Ariel's Undersea Adventure and were leaving DCA after a morning checking out the minor attractions we had missed last time. Now, we were ready for some time in Disneyland before taking our afternoon break.

1286.jpg

1287.jpg

It was about 10 am when we walked through the DL gates, and we came into a little mini dance party going on with Alice, Mad Hatter, Mary Poppins, and Bert!

1289.jpg

1291.jpg

The band​

The first thing we wanted to do was have our picture taken in front of the Castle. We had been rushing around so much, we had not had a chance to do that before.

1292.jpg

1295.jpg

After that, we decided to head over to Space Mountain since the posted wait time was only about 25 minutes. We waited about that long and got to ride in the last row.

1297.jpg

Heading into Tomorrowland

1298.jpg

"Rooftop" portion of Space Mountain queue​

After getting our thrills in with Space Mountain, we decided to head over to Fantasyland. Along the way, we took some pictures while we figured out what we wanted to do there.

1302.jpg

Matterhorn

1303.jpg

Nemo Submarine Voyage (we skipped it this time)​

We decided we wanted to ride one of the dark rides I had really enjoyed last trip, Alice in Wonderland.

1306.jpg

1311.jpg

1319.jpg

The White Rabbit was not home

1320.jpg

Playing around in front of Mr. Toad

Another minor attraction we had missed last trip was the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-thru, and I definitely wanted to check that out. It was pretty cool! I'm glad it wasn't something we tried to do with DS, I don't think we would have been able to appreciate it as much trying to entertain him. Basically you walk up steps with little scenes from the Sleeping Beauty story along the way. The vignettes were really great to look at and see the details.

1321.jpg

1323.jpg

1324.jpg

1331.jpg

1334.jpg

1360.jpg

Since it is all stairs, there is also a modified version for people who cannot climb stairs which we checked out as well. It was a lot smaller, but had some neat memorabilia and pretty furniture.

1363.jpg

1365.jpg

The next thing I wanted to do was find the Disneyland Time Capsule. I had read all about it in Celebrations magazine before taking the trip, but I had forgotten to jot down somewhere where it was actually located. So we took our time wandering around the Castle looking in nooks and crannies on the ground hoping to find it, only to find out it is smack dab in front of the Castle for all to see. lol

1372.jpg

Once our quest to find it was over, we stopped to have our picture taken again by the Photopass photographers out front.

1373.jpg

1376.jpg

We were starting to get hungry, so we passed by the Plaza Inn only to find a CM outside saying they did not open for lunch until 12. We debated going to eat somewhere else, but we both really wanted to eat there again. So since we were right there on Main Street, we went shopping! We didn't end up buying much, I think only a few Vinylmations, but we did a lot of browsing and wasted enough time until we could go back for lunch.

Last time, we had both gotten the pasta, and DH opted to get it again this time. But I had my eye on the other station of pot roast or fried chicken with mashed potatoes, vegetables, and a biscuit. I had a hard time choosing between the two but ended up going for the fried chicken because the pot roast looked a little dry that day. It was absolutely delicious lunch, and so so filling! The portions there are huge! I can't believe I forgot to take pictures, but I think I just started smelling that food and I was so hungry I wanted to dive right in. The chicken was moist and the skin was really crispy, the potatoes were delicious and the biscuit was hot and fluffy. Even the veggies were good! I managed to sneak a couple bites of DH's pasta even though he didn't want to try my meal. Definitely my favorite lunch spot in DL.

Our day was going great so far, but then it started to go downhill...

After lunch, we made our first mistake. We went to ride the Matterhorn. We went through the single rider line and walked right on. Both of us ended up in the very last seat of our bobsled. It was AWFUL! The last seat is brutal. I got whipped and slammed around so many times I was just praying to get off. Not the best thing to ride right after a big meal.

We walked over to get FPs for Splash Mountain since our plan was still to ride Splash and then head back to DCA to ride Grizzly River Run right before going back for our break. FPs in hand, we went over to Big Thunder Mountain because apparently we had not learned our lesson with the Matterhorn.

1381.jpg

1382.jpg

1383.jpg

1384.jpg

We ended up in the very last seat on BTMR and it was just as rough as Matterhorn. I think we were both feeling pretty bad after getting banged around a second time. So while waiting for our Splash Mountain time, we decided to take it easy with the Jungle Cruise. And while waiting in line I just started to feel BAD. The combination of a big meal, two jerky rides back to back, and the sun beating down had me sick to my stomach. As we were walking through the JC queue I kept wondering what would happen if I had to lean over the rail and hurl and anything went into the water. Somehow I made it through the queue but I told DH after that I needed to leave. I even made it through the ride even though my stomach was cramping up and I felt absolutely terrible.

With our plans to hit the water rides out the window, we headed out of the park and to the garage. We got back to the room and I took a much needed nap. I felt a lot better once I woke up, and we headed off to a nearby Catholic church for 5pm Mass.

After church, we drove straight to DCA. We decided that even though our day had not gone according to plan, we were getting ourselves on Grizzly River Run! We always end up skipping out on water rides and wanted to be able to say we had tried it there. The sun was starting to go down and the temperature was dropping so it was now or never. Luckily you can still use FPs past the window in DL because our return time had been sometime earlier that morning and the standby line was something like 50 minutes.

0634.jpg

We were relieved to find they had free lockers available for our stuff so we were able to put away the cameras and our jackets before getting on. We waited maybe 5 minutes before getting onto a raft with a family of 4. They had obviously been on the ride many times because the girl knew where all of the big splash areas were, and DH and I were spared almost the entire ride. It also didn't help that we kept stopping along the ride so we didn't really get the full experience. But at the end, on the very last drop, I got totally soaked! We came off the ride wet but laughing and happy we had finally decided to take the plunge, so to speak. The fabric of the dress I was wearing dried really easily.

We were ready for dinner at that point so we stopped at the Boardwalk Pizza & Pasta CS for some flatbread pizzas. They looked a lot better than they tasted unfortunately.

1387.jpg

Next, we decided to head back to Cars Land to ride the last attraction we had not yet tried, Mater's Junkyard Jamboree.

0763.jpg

1388.jpg

1391.jpg

1394.jpg

Our adorable ride vehicle!​

We really loved this attraction! It was totally worth the 25 minute wait we came upon. The ride mechanism is similar to the Ladybug Boogie ride in Bugs Land where the two circle tracks overlap and spin around, but you are attached to the ride vehicle in a separate seat that swings out to the side as they spin. We kept smushing each other into the sides and laughed our butts off the whole time. Of the two minor attractions in Cars Land, this one is miles better and more enjoyable than Luigi's Flying Tires.

We walked up to Buena Vista Street and tried to get on the Red Car Trolley when it pulled up. Unfortunately, they could only take one of us because only one person got off, so we decided to kill time until World of Color by going over to Clarabelle's for some ice cream!

1396.jpg

The fountain at night...so pretty!

1397.jpg

Our delicious sundae!​

After sharing that amazing cookie sundae, it was about 8:50 pm so we decided now would be a good time to find a spot for World of Color, which was starting at 9 pm! :rotfl: Since it was now our third time overall and second time of the trip seeing it, we were not worried at all about finding the best spot. However, even walking up that close to showtime, we still found a decent spot to view the show. This time, I convinced DH to lay off the pictures and enjoy the show, and he actually listened! We were a little disappointed with the show this night though because the middle water projection screen was not working for most of it, so a lot of elements were missing. Luckily we had been able to see it fully functional the night before though.

The absolute only thing we still wanted to do and had not done yet was ride the Red Car Trolley. So after World of Color, we went back up to the Carthay Circle stop to wait for it to come back again. This time, we were able to get on! They told us since it was the end of the night we would not be able to get the full circle tour and we would have to get off at the Tower of Terror stop. That was fine, we just wanted to ride!

1398.jpg

Us on the trolley!

1399.jpg

Magical fireworks show at DL visible over the buildings while we waited to get moving.​

Our guide was really into his job and was doing his little spiel as we made our way through the streets and over to ToT. We didn't do any picture taking because it was so dark, so we were just enjoying the ride instead. As we got over to ToT, we slowed down and eventually stopped right in the middle of the street because a man was standing there not moving! The conductor rang the bell and the guy STILL did not move. Everyone on the trolley was cracking up laughing, especially when the guy's friend finally noticed the gigantic red trolley and nudged his friend to move. When the guy turned around and saw the big red trolley in his face he jumped and moved. His facial expression was hilarious!! Everyone on the trolley cheered and the guy gave an apologetic (and I'm sure embarrassed) wave as we continued on our way. As we are already busting a gut laughing, the trolley conductor says, "I guess we needed more cowbell!" Definitely one of the funnest and funniest moments of the trip, enough to prompt me to use it as my title. :lmao:

There were so few people waiting to catch the trolley back to the front of the park, that instead of making us get off, we were allowed to stay on and get the full tour. Another yay!

Before leaving the park, there were a couple of purchases we wanted to make since we did not plan to come back to DCA at all the next day. So first we went to the store by GRR to pick up some Disney Dollars for DS. Then we went to Off the Page to buy me a Red Car Trolley shirt. I had seen it there the night before and now that our ride on it had been a highlight of the trip, I wanted the shirt too.

We ended our night then and headed back to Peacock Suites for our last night there. The next morning we were checking out and heading home. But we still had a whole morning at DL to enjoy first!

UP NEXT: Last Morning

Another minor attraction we had missed last trip was the Sleeping Beauty Castle Walk-thru, and I definitely wanted to check that out. It was pretty cool! I'm glad it wasn't something we tried to do with DS, I don't think we would have been able to appreciate it as much trying to entertain him. Basically you walk up steps with little scenes from the Sleeping Beauty story along the way. The vignettes were really great to look at and see the details.
Interesting. I wish Cinderlla Castle had a little more than a hallway to walk through with a few mosaics.

So we took our time wandering around the Castle looking in nooks and crannies on the ground hoping to find it, only to find out it is smack dab in front of the Castle for all to see. lol
:faint: :rotfl2::lmao::rotfl:

The combination of a big meal, two jerky rides back to back, and the sun beating down had me sick to my stomach.
Brutal... never want to feel sick on vacation. :worried:

As we were walking through the JC queue I kept wondering what would happen if I had to lean over the rail and hurl and anything went into the water.
:rotfl2::rotfl: Somehow, I doubt you'd be the first or the last.

We decided that even though our day had not gone according to plan, we were getting ourselves on Grizzly River Run! We always end up skipping out on water rides and wanted to be able to say we had tried it there
That's the spirit! I'm glad you finally did it! :thumbsup2

As we are already busting a gut laughing, the trolley conductor says, "I guess we needed more cowbell!" Definitely one of the funnest and funniest moments of the trip, enough to prompt me to use it as my title. :lmao:
Great story. Not only did you finally get your trolley ride, you also got a funny and memorable experience. Poor guy. :rotfl2::rotfl::lmao:

Oh man, sorry the rides made you sick. The Matterhorn was pretty herky-jerky, but I've never noticed that problem on BTMRR, even sitting in the far back (which you are correct in assuming is the more jerky position).

I started this year taking Dramamine/Bonine as a preventative to getting sick. I generally am not bothered by roller coasters, but I've noticed the older I get, the most sensative I get to motion sickness. Now as I approach middle-age, I am willing to take the drugs needed to keep riding my favorite rides!

At least a little rest allowed you to fully recover.

I agree that Mater's JJ is an awesome little C-ticket ride. The combination of the tea-cup with the less-traditional "Whip" ride was well made. Certainly WAY more fun than Luigi's...I hope if they bring Carsland to DHS they leave Luigi's behind and put something more "fun" in it's place!

I can't believe your TR is almost over. So short, but still must have been a wonderful getaway.

SP

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter