• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

We made the jump!

Scherzermk

Mouseketeer
After 8 years of tent camping and 2 years of looking, DH and I finally bought a TT. Hey!!! So now all the questions.
I changed our May reservation to a full instead of tent.
I'm updating my packing list. What different things do I need with TT instead of tent. We have a 20 ft sewer hose and the power cable that came with RV. Will those be long enough on full site? Is 30amp on pole or do I need converter? Do I need a surge protector?
I thought of wheel chocks, leveling blocks, water pressure regulator, and sewer hose support. Is an outdoor coaxial cable the only thing I need for TV at the fort?
Our kitchen supplies, bath supplies, and outside seating are all good I think.
Any ideas are appreciated. This is the only thing I have to work on until dining reservations open next month.
Thanks

You always need an extra sewer hose and power cable, some campgrounds configure things all catawampus, so you may need to stretch things at times. At FW, you should be okay though. You should have 30 amps on the pole, but every RV owner should have a surge protector. The coax cable is all you need.

I need to do some digging. But I feel like there was a thread a while back where we all talked about stuff that a new RVer needs. I'll report back if I find it.

Oh, BTW, tell us about your rig! Until recently, DH and I had a class C Four Winds Majestic 28a, but it died, so we just bought a TT a couple of weeks ago. Got a new-to-us 2018 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 267BHS. I'm busy outfitting the new rig. So much fun!

The power/water/sewer connections are all together, most are in the mid section of the parking pad, some are mid-forward. In general I have never needed more that 2 sections of sewer hose to make it to any connection at FW.

The power pole there at Full/Preferred/Premium have a 50A, 30A, and 15A GFI plug. All three have their own breaker. and I will note that FW power is probably one of the most stable I have experienced compared to some places I have been. If you are looking or considering a surge protector, save up a little more and purchase an EMS instead. A surge protector will protect you on just that surges while an EMS will protect you from improper voltage (both high and low) in addition to some wiring faults. I only bought one for our current rig after spending 8 years without one, I had one scare at a campground with really low voltage while we were away from camp and that made me decide it was time. Thankfully nothing damaged on the rig from that low voltage.

As mentioned, having an extra 30A extension wouldn't hurt for other campgrounds in general. But I doubt you'll need it for FW.

The FW the cable hookup is on the side of the power post, overall I suggest keeping a 25' and 50' coax in the RV for the cable connection in general. I found some have connections elsewhere.

As for pressure regulator, some people use them religiously. I test the pressure before I decide if I need one or not as they do restrict flow.

Enjoy the new rig, you will make many memories with it (remember to laugh, cuz there are times its the best thing to do.)

Another thing. Most RVs have garbage mattresses these days. You may want to buy a new one before you go out on your first trip. I just bought a new mattress and I'm so glad I did. Check this out:

Here's the original Simmons Residential Sleep System exclusively for Jayco mattress that came with our rig:

This is what we found when DH cut it open. That's not memory foam or spring coils. That's recycled bits of foam all pressed together. No support, it's trash. No better than a dog bed.

If you are looking or considering a surge protector, save up a little more and purchase an EMS instead. A surge protector will protect you on just that surges while an EMS will protect you from improper voltage (both high and low) in addition to some wiring faults. I only bought one for our current rig after spending 8 years without one, I had one scare at a campground with really low voltage while we were away from camp and that made me decide it was time. Thankfully nothing damaged on the rig from that low voltage.

This! I tend to cringe every time I hear "surge protector". You get more issues from under voltage than surges and that can destroy your stuff. You need more than just surge protection as noted above. Look for a good quality EMS. They might start in the $200 range. "Surge Guard" is probably the go to for a lot of EMS products. It's the name of the brand and not the function.

The FW the cable hookup is on the side of the power post, overall I suggest keeping a 25' and 50' coax in the RV for the cable connection in general.

This too!
I have a 50' that I use and another spare. 25' is ok but you can always keep part of a 50' rolled up but when you need more, you need more.

We just had the conversation about the stinky slinky. I have two 25' sections and a 10' section with connections so you can join them if necessary. Probably won't need more than a 25' at the fort but best to be prepared. I've used 50' before.

I would recommend a section of non-white (potable water) hose for flushing tanks or general use around the campsite when needed. Don't mix the two. Keep the white for fresh tank/city water only.

I carry a gallon jug of bug spray-barrier. I've never had a problem at the fort, but I have had issues with ants-fire ants elsewhere. They usually come with a wand. Spray around tires, sewer, water and power. That will keep a lot of the critters out while you're stationary.

Have fun!

Last edited:

Yes, get a surge/voltage/etc protector. We also bought some inexpensive mattress toppers. A few other items I am glad we bought-small, inside levelers (the ones with the yellow liquid and a bubble) to put on an inside cabinet door-makes sure the rv is level. An hdmi cable for your laptop-I download Netflix movies, and then we hook up the hdmi cord to the tv and can play the movies when we camp. A smoke alarm and C02 detectors, extra fuses and a small tool kit. A small bucket and car detergent and rags to clean off bugs from the front of the camper. A few old towels to clean up spills, etc. A small step ladder. A tire gauge. If you like to bring bikes-a bake rack. Hope this helps. And, congratulations on your new camper.

I know you've had lots of answers already, but we know and have met these well educated people and they put out great blogs and videos on everything to do with RVing. They also have a Facebook page. This blog should answer a lot of your questions to start. Good luck and have fun!

Mark and Dawn Polk - RV Education 101
rveducation101.com
https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=139612804627901&set=a.139612754627906

Last edited:
Any ideas are appreciated. This is the only thing I have to work on until dining reservations open next month.
Thanks

Scherzermk, here's something I put together a few years ago:

So, you’ve purchased your RV or at least signed the paperwork and are waiting to take delivery. What a day, huh? Anyway, now it’s time to equip the RV … WHAT??? … you mean that it doesn’t come “ready to go”? Absolutely NOT … your RV is completely naked😊

Unless your dealership has included a “starter kit”, here is a list of must haves to make your glamping experience trouble free. Generally, RV dealers will have the propane tank(s) filled and a battery installed as part of the purchase:

1. Sewer hose (an absolute must). I would suggest a 20’ hose (two 10’ hoses that couple together) along with a 90-degree elbow and a sewer doughnut. Some campgrounds require the doughnut so you might as well have one in your storage. The reason for a 20’ hose is that not all campgrounds are set up the same on the utility side of the camper. 20’ should get you hooked up wherever you camp. We had to by a 10’ extension for our 20’ when we camped in St. Augustine. That’s the only site that we have ever needed that much hose.
2. Disposable gloves for the times that you are handling the sewer pieces and parts.
3. Drinking water grade garden hose. We carry two 25’ hoses and have only needed to combine them together when we were at the same St. Augustine campground.
4. Wheel chocks … a total of 4.
5. Leveling blocks … generally a “pack” of 10 will suffice.
6. Coaxial cable for the times you might have cable tv hook up.
7. Water pressure regulator. 40 to 50-pound limit.
8. In-line water filter.
9. 2’ level unless your RV is equipped with automatic levelers. There is NOTHING worse than an out of level living space. Take your time and do it right😊
10. All the necessary kitchen items that you think you will need to prepare and serve meals.
11. Personal items needed for day-to-day life.
12. Toiletries.
13. Cleaning stuff.

Other items that you might want to bring along:

1. Electrical surge protector/EMS and electrical adaptors. These items probably should be in the “must have” list but if you don’t have them, you can still enjoy your adventure. What the surge protector is designed to do is protect your RV’s electrical items from damage due to campground power issues. The adaptors allow you to adapt your “shore power” cord to the campground power pedestal. Your RV might be 50-amp but the campground may only have 30-amp hook-ups. Or reversely your RV might be 30-amp and the campground only have 50-amp hook-ups. You might also want to have a 15-amp to XX-amp adaptor for the times you want to plug your RV into a household outlet (do NOT run your A/C on the 15-amp outlet).
2. Lawn chairs.
3. Small gas grill. This might have been included with your purchase.
4. Piece of carpet for the front of your door. Most folks will use a 10’x10’ outdoor grade carpet. We have one but have never used it😊 I do put out a rubber welcome mat at the base of the RV steps.
5. Flashlight for the times you may need to go for a walk after dark. Most campgrounds do not have any courtesy lights and it is really dark out in the “woods” 😊

The above items are things you WILL need and MAY need … your mileage may vary😊 You are going to find through trial and error what your necessities really are and adjust accordingly. I would suggest that your first camping adventure be close to home. That way, you will kill a couple of birds with one stone. You will find out how your RV handles, how to back into an RV site, and you will be close to home if you forget anything important.

Electrical Management System. As other have stated, it is a bit costly, but what do all the electronics in your new TT cost to replace. It is like Fire insurance, you hope you never need it, but if you don't have it, ouch.:firefight
At first by the essentials, then add what you need. You can add a lot of unneeded weight very quickly.

Electrical Management System. As other have stated, it is a bit costly, but what do all the electronics in your new TT cost to replace. It is like Fire insurance, you hope you never need it, but if you don't have it, ouch.:firefight
At first by the essentials, then add what you need. You can add a lot of unneeded weight very quickly.
So as you see, several of us suggest an EMS. I've had a brownout twice, same campground but different times. My EMS shut everything down, including the AC units. TV, 3 AC units and the convection oven were saved with the EMS.

Ok , just a few other items. Some tools, your choice.

On the coaxial cable, get the push on type and not the screw on type. Some places have messed up threads and this will save you.

A wye for the hose bib, now you can connect your drinking water hose and an addtional hose for whatever you need. I use it to wash off the kyacks and such.

Big stuff, make sure the battery is charged up and your TV has a break controller. Check your tire dates. On that make sure you have a jack or some way to raise your tire ( ramp if you have a duel axel). Check to make sure your tire iron woks for the TT and the spare. Some have diffrent lugs.

Spare fuses. Maybe bulbs? Some use led bulbs.

Some like a chemical for the toilet, get some or not. And you dont need specific tp. Scotts works fine.

Disney decorations. Lol

Look for creative ways to hang towels to dry inside! That is always our issue :)

And also :tink:enjoy and post pics!
This was our biggest problem tent camping. Florida broke its draught the week we spend at the Fort. We had wet towels every night.

the coaxial cable, get the push on type and not the screw on type. Some places have messed up threads and this will save you.
Had this on list but hadn't thought of misthreaded hook ups. Had only looked for "outdoor" type

Thanks for suggestions! I'm making a list of must have, would like before Fort trip, and long term wants.

I get the small thin towles, they dry faster, hang in bathroom. Put on fan , crank the ac. I set up comand hooks, etc, and if needed have a laundrey line for outside. I ditched the big comfy towles, because they dont dry quickly.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter