We Knew It Was Coming . . .

We did more character meals on our first couple of visits solely for my son to fill his autograph book rather than wait in line for each of the characters.....we probably got 25 autographs across 6-7 meals on our first trip. The amount of time it would have taken to get even half of those waiting in line would've been insane. Now that we've been there 6-7 times over the last few years we do not do as many character meals. I was paying for mediocre food in order for my child to have photos/autographs. If he was only getting a card, I do not think I would spend nearly $200 for a family of 3 to dine at most of these places.

I don't agree either. We've done loads of character meals. We've typically met all the characters within the first 20-30 minutes of being seated. Sometimes characters have come around multiple times. We've never finished our meal and had to wait for a character.

That's been our experience too. I can only think of one time in 20+ character meals that we were waiting around for a character, and it was the aforementioned nightmare visit to Crystal Palace where literally nothing went right. Pooh got puked on by a child a couple tables over and we did have to wait a little bit to see him (understandably!). Usually the characters have come and gone long before we finish eating (and as often as not, the waiter has also dropped off the bill and gotten slow about drink refills - the universal cue that it is time to turn the table). In fact, that's one of the things we don't care for about character meals. They usually feel rushed. I'd say we spend under an hour on average, which combined with buffet service means they don't make for much of a break from the parks.

I don't agree this is the norm. As I said in an earlier post, I did 4 character meals last week. Every single time, ALL the characters had come by our table well before we were done eating. We didn't camp out at our table even once. I do several character meals on every trip. That's a lot of character meals over the years. I don't recall many times that we waited long for characters. In fact, I can't think of even one time where we were done eating and had to sit and wait. They've always made it by at some point before we were ready to leave. Maybe a couple times it was towards the end of the meal where we were finished eating and waiting on the check, but nothing that left a negative impression. And I am one who plans our park days down to the minute, so if I had to wait and potentially throw off our schedule, I would have been pissed about it, believe me. :p
Well maybe you're lucky because i do recall seeing people camp out at Crystal Palace, Tusker, and Chef Mickeys. I myself (years ago when my son was younger) also had to camp out at all of these places. So its not just me. Whatever the reason....Disney felt it was necessary to make this change. And im all for it! :)

Big mistake by Disney in my opinion. Offering less for dining experiences where the food is often not all that good should not be tolerated.

We go to several of these overpriced dining experiences (CP, CRT, etc.) because our daughters love the characters. Offering printed cards does not take the place of an actual autograph.

I can still see the look on my then 3 year olds face after Woody signed her autograph book and Buzz put a blurry stamp on it. I understand that Buzz and other characters are unable to sign but it was cheap and a 3 year old knew it.

I completely understand the reasoning but, once again, it destroys the magic. It's like going to see Santa Claus and one of his elves hands you a business card.

You're far better off having a meet and greet line ala the Beast at BOG.
If the bean counters really wanna have at it, have a special area where you have to buy photopasses up front (or get them "free" if you're AP or got the package) which would include the time to get autographs.

Then have the characters walk through the crowds once an hour.

Than maybe, just maybe, they'd have to start thinking about serving decent food again! :)

I'm disappointed, but I get it. The character meals are expensive because of the interaction - I'm not really a fan of dumbing it down when it's already at a premium price.

However, I totally get the time saving factor. We were at TH for breakfast and seated next to a table of probably 15 people. Thankfully, we were before them in the rotation because they probably held up each character for at least 15 min with their various picture combos, autograph books, etc. I totally get wanting to get your money worth and having a mixed group, but good god. One with the whole fam, one with just fab, one with just fam b, one with just fam c, now just all the kids, now all the kids and the grandparents, how just the adults, now just the married couples separately... it was just way too much.

I almost think sometimes the pictures take longer then the autographs. But how do you not allow the pictures....

I think it sucks. We don’t do autographs anymore or character meals really. DD still wants to do a princess meal but that’s about it. We will do pics but no autographs. But I remember the years of my kids getting SO excited for a character to sign their book. Their eyes would light up and it was just the best thing ever. And we did lots of character meals to avoid the lines. Just because I don’t benefit from something anymore doesn’t mean I think it’s a great idea to take it away from anyone else. I hope they rethink this because the next step could be no posed pics. Only candids during interaction.

And Just cause a family is big doesn't mean a per table rule. Each child wants their own. Are you going to be the one to tell them they have to share the signatures? Why? They paid per person for the experience same as you. Remember, they also paid per person not per table. I doubt that my son or daughter would like that idea of having to share their signatures. They enjoy having their own. Kind of like their dessert. Can't give two kids at one table two cookies. And three kids at another two cookies. While they watch the other table get their own.

This exactly.
To be honest, my kids are older now, and have never cared too much about character signatures, but with other (non Disney) things I've felt "burned" by the "per family" instead of "per person" deal so I guess when I read people saying "one per table" and such it gets my hackles up! ;)

I think "one per person" is a fair rule--and the person can choose if that's on an autograph book, a hat, etc.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Don't give them any ideas. But ya, I think that is their line of thinking.
Lol
Nah, they'll be holograms thatll popup from a device near your table and they'll call it signature dining and automatically add in 20% gratuity. You'll also have a timer like 25 mins for how long you can take then they'll shoo you out and wipe down the table and usher in a new group.

I don't agree either. We've done loads of character meals. We've typically met all the characters within the first 20-30 minutes of being seated. Sometimes characters have come around multiple times. We've never finished our meal and had to wait for a character.

So, it's typical (I'm reading this as you saying it's the norm) for ALL the characters come around to your table, and some twice, in a full restaurant with 40...50...60+ tables, in 20-30 minutes?

That's an average of 30 seconds or less per table. It takes that long or longer for a character to do one single autograph.

So, it's typical (I'm reading this as you saying it's the norm) for ALL the characters come around to your table, and some twice, in a full restaurant with 40...50...60+ tables, in 20-30 minutes?

That's an average of 30 seconds or less per table. It takes that long or longer for a character to do one single autograph.

Yes. It's the norm for me. And GG, TH and CM are three restaurants that come to mind where we have met characters multiple times.

I've never seen a character take 30 seconds or more to sign one autograph.

Having just done 4 character meals last week....dont think any took longer than 10 seconds to sign. We handed them the book and pen, they signed, done. I cant imagine how itould take longer than 10-12 second. At 3 of the 4 meals we did, all the characters came by within 10-15 min. Of being seated. Only at CRT did they not come out right away. We were just about done with our entrees when they came out and then all 4 came by pretty quickly after that. So they had all come by before we had gotten our check.

Last edited:
OK

Truly magical

Sometimes it feels magical. Other times it just helps to pay attention to the characters route to gage if you should line up at the buffet or wait a minute because you know a character is coming.

More often then not, I'm surprised at how quickly the characters actually do move through the restaurant from table to table. Sure, some families fawn all over every single character, but many times, families just want a quick picture or I've seen people just smile and wave at certain characters, because they are really only interested in meeting a particular character so they don't bother with the others.

I've heard reports of people visiting Crystal Palace and still receiving autographs. Crisis averted.

Unfortunately for us, Disney has learned over the years that they can raise prices and reduce services, and though we will complain, we will still go. In this respect, Rusty's number 7 is spot on... we have no one to blame but ourselves.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter