We decided to cancel

Rland8228

DIS Veteran
I hate when as a parent sometimes I have to put my wants and needs on the back burner. Especially as a special needs mom.

We made the decision a couple of days ago to switch to our Pop resort room. I feel that it is really unfair for me to put my love of being at the fort above what the kids really need right now. Plus I do not want to drive 1000 miles and have the kids just absolutely hate it and we are basically stuck. We have camped once before this and then in the back yard. I just really feel like we need some more experience. Plus next year we will have a truck and can then tow our trailer that has been sitting in our driveway for a year and a half. :sad1:

Even though we just bought a 200.00 tent and a 180.00 cooler, guess it will make for some good summer fun!

So as I am honestly really upset, I also know its what's best and that the fort will always be there! Although I'm sure next year it will be 200.00 a night :rolleyes2 A trip is better than no trip at all.

I'm sorry to hear that. We stayed at Pop last time. It's not the Fort, but it is a nice resort. If you stay in the 50s facing the lake you can watch the fireworks at night.

I would return the tent and cooler if you are going to have a trailer next year anyway. More spending money for Disney .:jumping3:

Sometimes you just gotta do what you gotta do. It's still Disney, and Pop is my favorite, next to the Fort. It will be great!

Sorry to hear about you will miss The Fort this go around, but do what's best for the kids. It'll all work out :thumbsup2.
The Fort will still be there for next trip and you can rest assured we will still be here waiting for your trip report. :wave:

Sorry you won't be camping at Disney but you are already looking on the bright side-you'll still be at Disney!:)

We started camping with our DGD for 2-3 weeks when she was 1.5 y/o and then continued annually for 10 years. I'd also camped with her dad and uncle when they were little (on a bicycle no less) so the 2 younger generations had much to talk about between the differences and similarities between camping in the 20th century and 21st, LOL.
I've no idea how old your children are but if they are at least tweens you might want to consider keeping that tent since oftimes as children age they prefer sleeping in the tent and use the trailer for kitchen and/or bathroom privileges alone. Oh right and TV if you opted for one. Just store the tent in a space that hasn't prolonged extreme weather conditions and you should be good to go for a bit.

Since you paid $180.00 for a cooler I'm guessing it's somewhere in the Yeti category and can be used for backyard parties so the purchase isn't useless necessarily. Should you have no secondary use for the cooler- sell the bad boy since this is the season and recoup if not all at least the vast majority of your money.
Have fun out there wherever you roam and don't worry the empty nester period is filled with adult wish fulfillment;).

Sometimes we have to make tough decisions, but in the end only you know what's best for you and the family. I am sure you will have other opportunities to enjoy the Fort. We have had to do similar in the past.

Pop is a nice value resort. Great food court and decent transportation. I would seriously consider scheduling at least a half day to visit the Fort with your kids to show them the place. Maybe schedule a breakfast or dinner at Trails End.

Did you look into staying in a cabin? With a full kitchen you could easily save the difference in the cost of food and still enjoy the relaxation of being at FW.

I love staying at POP...

Whether your at the FORT or POP, your still at WDW!!! ;)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter