We are there

I totally get it.

But what I think WDW is trying to do here, aside from making some extra cash (I'm not ignoring that), is prod people in to using the WDW transportation more and cars less.

And I'll bet they will be at least somewhat successful. I can tell you that when I visit WDW I fly in, take Magical Express to the resort, use the WDW transportation while there, and use Magical Express to get back to the airport. In fact, one of the things I have always loved about WDW is that I don't have to drive a car the whole time I'm there! WDW has set up an incredible transportation system...I'm very happy to use it!

I understand that some people don't want to use the WDW transportation, but to Disney, there are a lot of reasons why they want you to.

Among those reasons:

* you are less inclined to leave WDW property (although it is only a 20 dollar Uber/Lyft ride to Universal)
* you don't clog up the roads with your car
* they can build fewer parking lots

There are probably other reasons, but I won't belabor the point.

This is partly a money-grab, yes. But it is likely also a gentle push to get folks to use the WDW transportation more, which I actually appreciate.

Looking at it a different way: would you rather WDW charge extra to use the bus/monorail/gondolas/boats or ask the people that (perhaps) unnecessarily insist on driving their cars, even though they are staying on property?

Anything that can zip us around faster I appreciate!

I live in Delaware County, PA right outside of Philadelphia, so I am used to horrible traffic patterns. I always appreciate how quickly we can zip around WDW!

I totally get it.

But what I think WDW is trying to do here, aside from making some extra cash (I'm not ignoring that), is prod people in to using the WDW transportation more and cars less.

And I'll bet they will be at least somewhat successful. I can tell you that when I visit WDW I fly in, take Magical Express to the resort, use the WDW transportation while there, and use Magical Express to get back to the airport. In fact, one of the things I have always loved about WDW is that I don't have to drive a car the whole time I'm there! WDW has set up an incredible transportation system...I'm very happy to use it!

I understand that some people don't want to use the WDW transportation, but to Disney, there are a lot of reasons why they want you to.

Among those reasons:

* you are less inclined to leave WDW property (although it is only a 20 dollar Uber/Lyft ride to Universal)

This is partly a money-grab, yes. But it is likely also a gentle push to get folks to use the WDW transportation more, which I actually appreciate.

Looking at it a different way: would you rather WDW charge extra to use the bus/monorail/gondolas/boats or ask the people that (perhaps) unnecessarily insist on driving their cars, even though they are staying on property?

I am of the opinion that most of the people who have a car with them at Disney, do so because they require it to GET TO DISNEY. Flying is not an option for many people. $500 for 2 tix to MCO or $125 round trip to drive for us. And how many visitors are coming from a distance way to close to fly (pretty much the entire state of Florida and most of Georgia)

I would buy the argument that Disney is trying to get more people to use their available transportation options, if those options were not already overwhelmed.

I use Disney transportation exclusively on all my trips and see it as a benefit. However, I experienced many frustrating transfers in my last two visits. There were too many excessively long waits (30+ minutes), folks in wheelchairs waiting for multiple busses or boats to accept them, monorails breaking down, and long waits while boat/bus drivers complete a shift and wait for their relief. Adding thousands of people to this system gives me the impression that they view their guests as lemmings.

I am of the opinion that most of the people who have a car with them at Disney, do so because they require it to GET TO DISNEY. Flying is not an option for many people. $500 for 2 tix to MCO or $125 round trip to drive for us. And how many visitors are coming from a distance way to close to fly (pretty much the entire state of Florida and most of Georgia)

I don’t know about “most” - I do know a lot of people that just prefer having a car or for whom Disney a just part of their Florida vacation (heck, that is us sometimes) but I do get that there are also a lot of people for whom flying just doesn’t make sense and it’s sucks that this penalizes them

We always have a car at Disney because we always drive to WDW. We are DVC members so won't be charged for our DVC stay, but we usually come in a few days early at a value or a moderate before our DVC stay so we will get hit with the parking charges for that. Makes us want to just add more days on points instead. For some people that may not be an option if they have a smaller contract. Not a fan of Disney's most recent money grabs.

I wanted to get edification of what defines a motorized vehicle per CFR (code of federal regulations) to see if it is possible to have a means of transportation that you can circumvent the parking fees. Interesting if a scooter is exempt?

§ 85.1703 Definition of motor vehicle.
(a) For the purpose of determining the applicability of section 216(2), a vehicle which is self-propelled and capable of transporting a person or persons or any material or any permanently or temporarily affixed apparatus shall be deemed a motor vehicle, unless any one or more of the criteria set forth below are met, in which case the vehicle shall be deemed not a motor vehicle:

(1) The vehicle cannot exceed a maximum speed of 25 miles per hour over level, paved surfaces; or

(2) The vehicle lacks features customarily associated with safe and practical street or highway use, such features including, but not being limited to, a reverse gear (except in the case of motorcycles), a differential, or safety features required by state and/or federal law; or

(3) The vehicle exhibits features which render its use on a street or highway unsafe, impractical, or highly unlikely, such features including, but not being limited to, tracked road contact means, an inordinate size, or features ordinarily associated with military combat or tactical vehicles such as armor and/or weaponry.

(b) Note that, in applying the criterion in paragraph (a)(2) of this section, vehicles that are clearly intended for operation on highways are motor vehicles. Absence of a particular safety feature is relevant only when absence of that feature would prevent operation on highways.

[ 39 FR 32611, Sept. 10, 1974, as amended at 45 FR 13733, Mar. 3, 1980; 73 FR 59178, Oct. 8, 2008; 75 FR 22977, Apr. 30, 2010; 81 FR 73972, Oct. 25, 2016]

Last edited:

$1,000 for planes tickets vs. $125 + (approximately) $20 per night for parking is still saving you money.

Additionally, although many may drive to WDW, many also fly. Why should those who fly and use WDW transportation subsidize those that drive and thus require parking lots, parking garages, trams from the parking lots to the park, many lanes of road, and upkeep on said roads? I realize it isn't quite that simple, but it is also nothing to be dismissed out of hand.

I would buy the argument that Disney is trying to get more people to use their available transportation options, if those options were not already overwhelmed.

I use Disney transportation exclusively on all my trips and see it as a benefit. However, I experienced many frustrating transfers in my last two visits. There were too many excessively long waits (30+ minutes), folks in wheelchairs waiting for multiple busses or boats to accept them, monorails breaking down, and long waits while boat/bus drivers complete a shift and wait for their relief. Adding thousands of people to this system gives me the impression that they view their guests as lemmings.

What if WDW takes the money they will make from the new parking fees and then uses them to improve WDW transportation?

I totally get it.

Among those reasons:

This would be true if they hadn’t been downgrading their transportation system. They’ve canceled the bus to TL and BB making traveling to those parks via their system a time consuming hassle. The buses are packed to rim dangerously in a way that it is illegal to pack busses in my country, a problem that could be solved by adding more busses. So if what they were trying to do was convince more people to take the bus (which I do, BTW, because like you I don’t like driving on vacation) they would announce improvements to their system, not cancellations of transportation to two of their parks.

And the bus system is one of the major perks they sell as to why their hotels are so expensive. Charging for that would REALLY cause outrage.

This would be true if they hadn’t been downgrading their transportation system. They’ve canceled the bus to TL and BB making traveling to those parks via their system a time consuming hassle....

THAT, I can't even talk about!! Idk what bird brain came up with that idea but its awful!! That'll b a Minnie Van trip for us this year I think!

What if WDW takes the money they will make from the new parking fees and then uses them to improve WDW transportation?

That would be awesome. Unfortunately, the current trend is not to improve the guest experience without the guest paying extra for it. Therefore, it would seem reasonable that if Disney is going to improve transportation, then we are going to pay for it. Transportation passes could easily be added to Magic Bands.

Why should those who fly and use WDW transportation subsidize those that drive and thus require parking lots, parking garages, trams from the parking lots to the park, many lanes of road, and upkeep on said roads? I realize it isn't quite that simple, but it is also nothing to be dismissed out of hand.

I have to gently disagree. A person who drives from Northern Florida and leaves their car for the week in a moderate resort lot, taking up one spot of asphalt is being subsidized by a person Disney picks up AT the airport? How does your being picked up for FREE at the airport subsidize anything? To run just Magical Express require vehicles, drivers, fuel, roads, maintenance, insurance, bus stations, fees to MCO(?), as well as baggage handlers at the hotel. Your using a free service doesn't pay or subsidize anything.

The fee is simply absurd, if it were $5 a night or something to cover parking lot security, maintenance and a small profit, that would be quite different. The almost $19 a night for a moderate is a money grab, I am really surprised you seem to be justifying it.

Also, they had to charge for parking before they could charge for ME you realize that right? Because if they had charged for Magical Express first (which honestly makes more sense), many would have just started renting cars, since it would have cost about the same and added the benefit of having a car available. Serious fees are coming your way too for your airport ride, but don't expect any sympathy from those that drive and park if you don't show them the same now.

I have to gently disagree. A person who drives from Northern Florida and leaves their car for the week in a moderate resort lot, taking up one spot of asphalt is being subsidized by a person Disney picks up AT the airport? How does your being picked up for FREE at the airport subsidize anything? To run just Magical Express require vehicles, drivers, fuel, roads, maintenance, insurance, bus stations, fees to MCO(?), as well as baggage handlers at the hotel. Your using a free service doesn't pay or subsidize anything.

The fee is simply absurd, if it were $5 a night or something to cover parking lot security, maintenance and a small profit, that would be quite different. The almost $19 a night for a moderate is a money grab, I am really surprised you seem to be justifying it.

Also, they had to charge for parking before they could charge for ME you realize that right? Because if they had charged for Magical Express first (which honestly makes more sense), many would have just started renting cars, since it would have cost about the same and added the benefit of having a car available. Serious fees are coming your way too for your airport ride, but don't expect any sympathy from those that drive and park if you don't show them the same now.
Have always said I was surprised ME was free to begin with, but "got" the whole "keep 'em in the bubble" concept. However - have been INCREASINGLY surprised it has REMAINED free, through all the increasing money grabs. Haven't wanted to speak on it, lest "they" hear me. :( :(

Have always said I was surprised ME was free to begin with, but "got" the whole "keep 'em in the bubble" concept. However - have been INCREASINGLY surprised it has REMAINED free, through all the increasing money grabs. Haven't wanted to speak on it, lest "they" hear me. :( :(

Agreed and how much is long term parking at MCO? $10 a day? Those staying at a deluxe for an extending time could park at the airport and ride ME in and SAVE $14 a day. That clogs up MCO parking, Disney now makes nothing, and is providing ME to folks who didn't need to be bused.

This is so nonsensical. Everyone loses.

$1,000 for planes tickets vs. $125 + (approximately) $20 per night for parking is still saving you money.

Additionally, although many may drive to WDW, many also fly. Why should those who fly and use WDW transportation subsidize those that drive and thus require parking lots, parking garages, trams from the parking lots to the park, many lanes of road, and upkeep on said roads? I realize it isn't quite that simple, but it is also nothing to be dismissed out of hand.

I said $500 for plane ticketz, not $1000.

And people who drive TO Disney also use Disney transportation. However this isn't about any group having unfairly subsidized another finally being remedied LOL. Its just a way to generate revenue. They've sunk a lot if money into Star Wars, gondolas and Toy Story and someone has to pay for it.

FWIW I am a DVC owner so I am exempt from the extra fee (my dues cover it).

I meant subsidize in the sense that, by using the WDW transportation, one is maximizing the efficiency of the system WDW has in place and making it unnecessary for WDW to build more parking lots, etc. If everyone used the WDW transportation, then there would be less demand for parking lots, parking lots trams, multi-lane roads, upkeep on roads, etc. The WDW transportation system is going to run regardless of whether or not many people drive, so I'm sure WDW hates sinking more money in to parking/car infrastructure when what they envision is people using the WDW transportation.

You can separately argue about whether or not the WDW transportation in its current state is being operated well or not, but it doesn't change my point that those who drive cars all around WDW instead of using the WDW transportation are helping to create an inefficient system.

I would guess that sort of thinking goes in to why WDW runs ME. Even with the cost of running the ME, it is likely less expensive that the wear and tear cost to the WDW roads, building additional parking lots, etc.

I said $500 for plane ticketz, not $1000.

And people who drive TO Disney also use Disney transportation. However this isn't about any group having unfairly subsidized another finally being remedied LOL. Its just a way to generate revenue. They've sunk a lot if money into Star Wars, gondolas and Toy Story and someone has to pay for it.

FWIW I am a DVC owner so I am exempt from the extra fee (my dues cover it).

I thought you meant 500 times 2. That's where I got $1,000. Now that I reread it, I was wrong.

If everyone used the WDW transportation, then there would be less demand for parking lots, parking lots trams, multi-lane roads, upkeep on roads, etc. The WDW transportation system is going to run regardless of whether or not many people drive, so I'm sure WDW hates sinking more money in to parking/car infrastructure when what they envision is people using the WDW transportation.

those who drive cars all around WDW instead of using the WDW transportation are helping to create an inefficient system.
The majority of guests don't stay onsite, so they use their cars or other transportation (Uber, shuttle, etc.) to get to and around property. Disney would still need to maintain the roads and the parking lots for them. Also, if all onsite guests stopped using their own cars, Disney would need far more buses and Minnie Vans and there would be a lot more Uber and Lyft and taxi traffic, so the road maintenance wouldn't reduce most likely. The only thing they might be able to reduce a bit is parking availability.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter