We are losing the Magic

I prefer a system that gives everyone the same chances, not one that allows people with more money a better experience.
I get that, I really do. But that ship sailed a long time ago nearly everywhere outside of the Disney parks. It's been years (maybe more than ten) since either Cedar Fair or Universal offered a free virtual-queuing option. The other big domestic players--Six Flags, Herschend--have been pay-only from the start.

It's not just theme parks. Want to sit in "premium economy" on the plane with a few more inches of leg room, or even just choose your regular old economy seat in advance? Want a better seat at the sporting event, play, or concert? Heck, even want to park at Hā'ena State Park on Kauai as a non-Hawai'i resident instead of walking or biking in? They will all cost you extra most of the time.

Frankly, it's been true for a while at WDW too, but not quite so obviously. For example, some of the "after hours" Parties are only "after hours" because the hours for the day guests are shorter than they might have been without the Party taking place.

Edited to add: how would you feel about a lottery system where everyone with a park reservation was put into a bucket, and 35% of them were randomly chosen? That's even more equitable than the FP+ system, which rewarded people who put in more time and effort---and you can often convert time to money and vice versa.

I have not seen that a new one would be allowed after a few hours.
If G+ uses the same basic rules as paper FP, this will be true. I don't know that we know that yet though.

Last edited:
I get that, I really do. But that ship sailed a long time ago nearly everywhere outside of the Disney parks. It's been years (maybe more than ten) since either Cedar Fair or Universal offered a free virtual-queuing option. The other big domestic players--Six Flags, Hershey--have been pay-only from the start.

On that first part, you're correct, but the fact it was different at Disney is one of the prime reasons Disney had so many loyal fans. The Six Flags near me (Maryland) is actually offering one day tickets for $24.99 - that's how desperate they are to get people in the gates right now.
As to your second point, you're right - it was free for so long, we got a little spoiled, and yes, it stings when something which was free before costs money now, like resort parking and the airport shuttle. But those perks were what made up the "Disney Difference" - it wasn't just your run-of-the-mill amusement park. At least it didn't used to be. We'll see how magical our next trip feels, I guess.

I'm most upset about Magical Express and luggage service. This was one of Disney's best perks! Being able to drop one's luggage at one's home airport and have it delivered to your room, awesome, ditto in reverse. I would pay extra for this service!

I really miss having a real cover on the bed. This three sheeted thing is for the birds. And the thin blanket they include is basically about as much use as a fourth sheet...

I miss the individual theming each resort had. I am seeing some return to theming but not enough. At one time, our goal was to stay in each individual hotel, because of the unique theming, now, not so much...

I hated fast pass +. I prefer the old fast passes that you picked up in the park.

the fact it was different at Disney is one of the prime reasons Disney had so many loyal fans.
It's still different, just not in this particular way. There's a big gap between the Magic Kingdom and Six Flags America---which I've visited and enjoyed for what it was.

I'm going to miss the Magical Express and I especially miss Resort Airline Check-in!

To add the Mears-run airport transfer and Genie+ for our party of 6 (if we added it all 6 park days) would add an additional $750 to each week-long trip. As a DVC member who has committed to ongoing WDW vacations, that really adds up. That's for stuff that used to be included. I know there are other, better options than Mears but those will also be an extra cost. Then the loss of MagicBands and seemingly no benefit to staying onsite, other than the bubble.

I think there should at least be some benefit for onsite guests like what Universal offers guests of their premium resorts.

People who aren't already WDW addicts are absolutely shocked at the cost already (not just for Disney but for Universal too), and that was before the extra costs involved with getting on property and getting on rides.

Last edited:

I think people forget (or perhaps they are too young) that DME didn't actually exist back in the day and you paid Mears (or rented a car, took a cab, etc.). I am surprised DME lasted this long, tbh.

I'm most upset about Magical Express and luggage service. This was one of Disney's best perks! Being able to drop one's luggage at one's home airport and have it delivered to your room, awesome, ditto in reverse.
For families with young kids or elderly parents this was awesome. I'm not sure if we would have bought DVC without it, because navigating MCO with young kids and luggage would have been a pain, and made the vacation that much more stressful. I wouldn't even mind paying for this to come back as an add on. Wish they had done a survey on this before they ended.

No more freezers in the rooms and no parking lot trams. Some people say they'll be back....sometime. But I've heard speculation that tram service may be eliminated or at least reduced.

Honestly, the removal of trams will keep me out of the park! I haven't been in the parks since 2/20 and have no intention of returning unless trams are back. I'm not getting any younger and adding on a potential 1+ mile to a day that already encompasses 5+ in the parks, is a no-go for us. In addition, we travel with little people (1 in stroller and 2 just getting out) and can't imagine adding that to their walk, either. I honestly cannot figure out why Disney has not added these back. It seems "penny-wise and pound-foolish".

Another thread mentioned seeing a job up for tram/parking attendants.
I really would make no sense to dump trams forever.

I really miss having a real cover on the bed. This three sheeted thing is for the birds. And the thin blanket they include is basically about as much use as a fourth sheet...

Yes you definitely bring up an issue.

I prefer the old fast passes that you picked up in the park.

Same.

I just think it's funny that every time I look at this thread to see if there are new posts, I think to myself, "Ya think?"

For families with young kids or elderly parents this was awesome. I'm not sure if we would have bought DVC without it, because navigating MCO with young kids and luggage would have been a pain, and made the vacation that much more stressful. I wouldn't even mind paying for this to come back as an add on. Wish they had done a survey on this before they ended.

It also was great for those who use power wheelchairs. There's a limit on the outside transportation available but it was made pretty easy by DME. It's a step backwards big time for that segment as well as families. The changes being made are not about improving the experience, just about expense savings or added revenue. I grow more troubled by Disney and it may lead to them receive less money from us during a year vs the increase they want.

corpcomp, I agree with most of the details you provided RE: 'We are losing the Magic'. I didn't know that BCV did away with Jacuzzi tubs; bummer. Like you, I enjoyed using it and, sometimes, my grandchildren and DH used it, too. Fans?! What were they thinking eliminating the fans in refurbished resorts? Sometimes I preferred to have the fan on instead of the AC. I thought that most homes in FL utilized fans. Resort luggage service is a huge loss for us. It was so much more convenient to check in our luggage and receive boarding passes at our resorts. Now, it adds quite a bit of time to our arriving at the airport and getting to the gate. I am not a mobile phone lover; I prefer to use it for emergencies and contact with family when we are separated (used to use walkie talkies LOL) Paying for FP and transportation to/from MCO is disappointing (although I am not at all surprised about ME. When it began, I told friends that I expected that, eventually, they would charge for it. I didn't expect Disney to abandon it altogether.) As a DVC owner, I shall still visit WDW but I probably will not use the parks as much and I am annoyed that we "captive" guests (due to our ownership) are paying more for less (and it's not small increments as we know that prices rise; the changes are big bucks.)

I was told by the Maintenance Manager (or Engineering) that the fans and Jacuzzis were too much trouble to keep fixing. This is one of the smallest resorts. So how do the larger resorts deal with it? She did say the removal was a big complaint from guests.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter