We are going to melt!

If you were shaded, it was great, even after noon. In the sun... it was horrible. We are just in the midst of dappering up, but there were people in Dapper Attire at park opening. They were brave souls.

I like the idea of having a compact umbrella in lines so I went an bought one that fit nicely in my back pack. When I mentioned it to a friend they said it be innapropriate and annyong if someone busted an umbrella out in a crowded line. Any thoughts?

Definitely inappropriate and rude to open any type of umbrella in line for a ride.

Definitely inappropriate and rude to open any type of umbrella in line for a ride.

Really? :confused3

I get annoyed by a lot of things in line...kids bumping into me repeatedly (and the parents who don't do anything to minimize it), kids blowing bubbles, kids sucking on or licking the railings (gross!), kids flinging around toys (only if they hit me with it), etc.

But I don't think somebody opening a compact umbrella would bother me *at all*. Unless they were like, hitting people with it. Otherwise, like a PP said, I'd probably just be jealous of their shade.

I don't think I'd *bring* one myself, just because it seems like a PITA. I bought a fantastic wide-brimmed, lightweight fabric hat at Costco that folds up. I'll take that on our next trip (and buy a few more for the rest of my family members) if it's going to be really hot while we're there.

Sunny warm weather sounds nice! We had a dump of snow in calgary 2 days ago and some is still on the ground! Though high temps make the parks a bit more challenging. Have fun!

So long as the person uses good umbrella etiquette (don't take up more than your own personal space, don't hit anyone with it, don't sing "Ha ha, I'm in the shade and you're not!"), I don't see what's wrong with it. As someone who has PMLE, I've had to use one and never noticed anyone bothered by it.

Maybe you guys have better luck than I do in the queues. Because it seems like the people around me are always up in my space so I imagine if they opened an umbrella, they would most certainly poke me in the eye with it.

I would ONLY use a parasol purchased at Disney. And I would look around me and make sure it was OK, then put it way up high as I opened it (or have taller DH do this) and keep it up out of peoples' faces.

But I can't even imagine using it *in line*.

Then again, RSR has only been done by my family using Single Rider, so our line experience there has been a million times shorter than the standby. So who knows what my answer might be if I had to get in that line. (on the other hand, I never get in a line that I can't handle...40 minutes is about my limit, and I've only done that at TSMM, which has umbrellas anyway)

We are bringing a smaller umbrella this weekend. Not something we'd normally do, but with this heat it is TOTALLY APPROPRIATE. As long as it's not whacking others, I see no problem, even in an unshaded line. It's not like it's at a game and you're blocking the view of someone else. Chill out, literally and figuratively.

I like the idea of having a compact umbrella in lines so I went an bought one that fit nicely in my back pack. When I mentioned it to a friend they said it be innapropriate and annyong if someone busted an umbrella out in a crowded line. Any thoughts?

My thoughts are tat I think you'd be my new best friend!

We have left the house for our first night on the road. I just realized I forgot our mister!! I hope I can et an affordable one at Walmart or somewhere. It's definitely a must!

We will be in LA on Monday, with our first of 4 days in the parks on Tuesday. I know we have lunch at Blue Bayou planned for 2pm that day so that should help with the heat.

We will definitely plan carefully.

I think an umbrella in line is fine. This is EXTREME heat, folks. You never know what someone's health can handle and we all need to be more accepting and patient in this heat!!

Last time we were at DLR and there was a heat wave, we had the water bottles which squirted water and had a little battery operated fan. These worked pretty well.

Midnightred

The line to see Jack and Sally on Friday was brutal. The complete lack of shade was bad enough for any day, but especially hard on those dressed up for Dapper Day. The CMs in the HM costumes were really suffering. I hope a couple of umbrella stands have been installed by now.

I'm here now and the heat wave is no joke. It is dangerously hot. We did a bit of walking in downtown Disney and I'm sick to my stomach. This is going to be a rough week

We're were there today too and...yes...The heat is terrible! After 11:30am all we could manage was LM or GRR. Did GRR 3 times. Some rides were shut from the heat too (Screaming and GSS). We saw lots of parasols. .it was no problem. A bathroom attendant CM was even saying how she never saw so many women in the bathrooms just to wash faces to cool off. I felt bad for the CM in those costumes outside. ..soooo hot! But hats off to all of them for still keeping a smile and great attitude going.

The weather report for this week just keeps getting better, according to The Weather Channel's app. We will arrive Wednesday (93/71), do DCA Thursday (91/67), and Disneyland Friday (85/66) with the rain currently out of the forecast. Compared to our 100-plus days in Vegas, I think it'll be okay.

WE just got back today and it was pretty miserable and the crowds made the heat feel worse.

We brought insulated reusable water bottles that kept water ICE cold and we got ice water from places that have soda fountains.

We had the cool towels.. they were pretty good but had to be rewetted a lot.

We hit the parks right when they opened then headed back to the hotel for pool and a/c around 1pm. Then we ventured out when it was dusk for dinner and more park time.

Nights were still "hot" staying in the 80's and 70's.

T max today was 103! It was pretty brutal but we hit water rides, sent a runner (me) off to get fast passes, had a mister fan and the crowds were really light. So that helped.

We were there a few years ago when it was around 110. It wasn't great but we didn't use umbrellas or any of that (and I'm a super pale redhead.) It was honestly on par with summertime in the midwest (minus the awful humidity.)

It's manageable. We stayed at DLH this weekend and went to the parks on Sunday (9/14). It was definitely hot. Fortunately, we had two factors going for us: 1) we had early magic morning entrance and 2) we were in the parks during September. Since we used early magic morning to get into DCA at 7 am, we were able to go on the following rides before 11 am (when we had to go back to check out of the hotel: Radiator Springs Racers, Toy Story Mania, California Screamin', Silly Symphony Swings, Goofy's Sky School, Gizzly River Run, Wilderness Explorer Trail (finishing all 6 challenges), the Little Mermaid Ride and Soarin'.

Because it was September and because it was super hot, crowd levels were reasonable. After checking out of the hotel and eating lunch in Downtown Disney, we made our way into Disneyland around 1pm, and saw people streaming out of the park as we were walking in. Most of the rides we went on had only 10 to 15 minute waits, and usually only a 5-10 minute wait until the line got indoors (which is really what mattered when it was that hot). From 1pm to 8pm (when we left), we were able to get onto the following rides: Big Thunder RR, Pirates, Tarzan's Treehouse, the Enchanted Tiki Room, Indiana Jones, Small World, Star Tours, Buzz Lightyear, and the Matterhorn.

You should be aware that the Monorail wasn't working from noon on, mainly because the trains don't work well in the heat. Don't count on it as your way into and out of the parks on very hot days (except for early mornings).

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter