We also were on the Dream last week, here are our thoughts

To be clear, we did have a great time, we were on vacation and on a cruise. :yay: The primary reason for us not to choose Disney again is cost. For us, a lack of perceived value, or the "Disney" effect did not offset the higher cost of cruising with them. I really liked walking around and hearing the Disney tunes, especially when they followed you in the elevator and I was not shy about humming or even singing along. The art, including the interactive art, was fantastic. The female violinist on board was truly amazing (she needs to play with the Piano Guys). Having three beautiful dining rooms to enjoy is a plus as well and Disney did a great job of pairing us up with "like" couples so that we all enjoyed each others company. Yes, the 'Disney" touches were impressive (except for the handling of the shows). If they were priced in the RC, NCL or Princess range, they certainly would be in our future consideration, but their prices keep going up faster and higher than the competition. Now, to their credit, they keep filling the ships, so good for them, they must be doing something right. But we found it too pricey for us and we didn't even do Palo or Remy or buy a single picture.

OWD
I totally get this. We love Disney Cruises but unless we have children (at this point grandchildren) with us, the price point and the value do not match up. DH and I really enjoyed our one experience in MSC Yacht Club (their ship-within-a-ship enclave) - it was amazing, especially the value when compared to the cost of a DCL veranda. We'll book that again. We also sailed NCL Escape (eastern Caribbean) with 2 other couples. And for that experience I don't think we could have picked a better ship.

We've never truly taken advantage of the adult-only features of DCL. So on our next trip we'll have 6 adults vs. 2 kids. I plan for DH and I to spend a lot of time doing non-child related activities. Really looking forward to that.

I agree about the cost. We are booked on a TA next year with DCL and the major reason I chose it was cost. For 13 nights it was the same cost as the 7 night Europe cruises I looked at. But even saying that, the cost is higher than the TA’s cost on other lines. So I dunno if we’ll do DCL again after this.

Just got off the Dream yesterday after the 3 night cruise. I love Disney, don’t mind the price, and we splurged on concierge this time so I felt like it was a little easier to avoid most of the kids. My problem isn’t with the kids, however - it’s with the PARENTS. Kids are going to make comments during shows. You hear “oohs” and “ahhs” and “WOAH!”... I can handle that. But when a father decides to explain everything that’s going on to his kid - not whispering, he’s talking - for ten minutes straight? Annoying! They know better, or SHOULD. When your child decides after the show lets out that sitting or laying on the stairs is a good idea while people are trying to get to dinner, staterooms, shops, etc.? You should know better. Pick him/her up, carry him if need be. When your son or daughter decides to pitch an ever-loving fit during dinner and rather than take him OUTSIDE or to the BATHROOM, you take him to the entrance of the restaurant so now the corridor AND the restaurant can hear him bellow? That’s on YOU, guys. Adults should know better. I’m an AP, I’m at Disney all the time, I love kids and I’m used to dealing with them... I really do love seeing their faces when they board the ship, meet the princesses or characters, and just experience Disney magic in general. But my main beef is with parents who completely check out and decide their vacation is also a break from being a parent. If your kid is traveling with you, you don’t have that option.

The Magic received it with the recent dry dock. We used it extensively.
So glad to hear this. Having the movies really helped my little ones have a break when we were on the fantasy last month. This will help when we are on the magic. and I got to see the great mouse detective which I haven't seen in years. :)

So glad to hear this. Having the movies really helped my little ones have a break when we were on the fantasy last month. This will help when we are on the magic. and I got to see the great mouse detective which I haven't seen in years. :)
Actually, one morning we turned on Hercules. I absolutely love James Woods as Hades. A very under-rated film IMHO.

OWD

I just came back from a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy last week. This was my 8th cruise and my daughter’s (she’s 27) 6th cruise. I enjoyed it, as always.
We arrived in a DCL bus after a one night stay at my home resort. Check in was a breeze as usual. My usual pet peeve are the adults that walk through the “no one under 18” area with their kids in tow. During one of our taste testing (we had 3), a dad tried to walk through the bar with his young child and the barista locked the door on him. This also happened on another past cruise on the Dream. So kudos to the cast members about this.
I always enjoy watching the young kids meet their favorite characters. Think a cruise ship with just adults would be too weird.
My daughter and I made sure to catch the two shows we had not yet seen, Aladdin and Wishes. We had already seen Believe 5 Times so skipped that one. I broke my back 20 something years ago and had my lower spine fused five years ago. Add to this hip and knee arthritis from years of misalignment and I now have problems sitting in uncomfortable chairs for long periods of time. I found the chairs in the theater extremely uncomfortable this time around, more so than ever before. The Buena Vista theater was a little roomier and you could push back a little. Only problem we had here was a dad that kept kicking my chair and his son that almost danced on my daughter’s chair.
There were plenty of empty seats so not sure why dad decided to sit right behind us knowing full well he needed more space.
We were able to see 3 movies out of all that were being offered: Thor Ragnorack, Black Panther, and the new Avengers Infinity War.
There were a few items in my cabin that needed maintenance but this is to be expected from a ship that is in continual use and these items were minor.
I was disappointed in customer service in general as I had never come across so many errors before in my previous sailings. We did not receive our excursion tickets in our stateroom (was unsure if this was a change or not - nope they were missing), the tv did not broadcast the live show - this was a problem that was corrected on the last day, my daughter got her total receipt on the last day but I did not - had to get it from cs, and they charged my daughter for two bags (instead of one) for airline check in. CS had a real problem with my daughter and I going in different directions after the cruise. She went directly to the airport and I went to the resort. Not sure if this was a computer system or person problem. I believe it ma be a little of both.

I just came back from a 7-day Western Caribbean cruise on the Fantasy last week. This was my 8th cruise and my daughter’s (she’s 27) 6th cruise. I enjoyed it, as always.
We arrived in a DCL bus after a one night stay at my home resort. Check in was a breeze as usual. My usual pet peeve are the adults that walk through the “no one under 18” area with their kids in tow. During one of our taste testing (we had 3), a dad tried to walk through the bar with his young child and the barista locked the door on him. This also happened on another past cruise on the Dream. So kudos to the cast members about this.
I always enjoy watching the young kids meet their favorite characters. Think a cruise ship with just adults would be too weird.
My daughter and I made sure to catch the two shows we had not yet seen, Aladdin and Wishes. We had already seen Believe 5 Times so skipped that one. I broke my back 20 something years ago and had my lower spine fused five years ago. Add to this hip and knee arthritis from years of misalignment and I now have problems sitting in uncomfortable chairs for long periods of time. I found the chairs in the theater extremely uncomfortable this time around, more so than ever before. The Buena Vista theater was a little roomier and you could push back a little. Only problem we had here was a dad that kept kicking my chair and his son that almost danced on my daughter’s chair.
There were plenty of empty seats so not sure why dad decided to sit right behind us knowing full well he needed more space.
We were able to see 3 movies out of all that were being offered: Thor Ragnorack, Black Panther, and the new Avengers Infinity War.
There were a few items in my cabin that needed maintenance but this is to be expected from a ship that is in continual use and these items were minor.
I was disappointed in customer service in general as I had never come across so many errors before in my previous sailings. We did not receive our excursion tickets in our stateroom (was unsure if this was a change or not - nope they were missing), the tv did not broadcast the live show - this was a problem that was corrected on the last day, my daughter got her total receipt on the last day but I did not - had to get it from cs, and they charged my daughter for two bags (instead of one) for airline check in. CS had a real problem with my daughter and I going in different directions after the cruise. She went directly to the airport and I went to the resort. Not sure if this was a computer system or person problem. I believe it ma be a little of both.
My one thought on the not walking through the 'no one under 18 area' with kids in tow. I completely understand but our room was on one side of this area and we needed to just get to the other side. We did walk through with our kids but did it very quickly and i always said as I walked through quickly quickly. I hope that this did not bother others. If so and we are in this situation again we will not do it but it is a difficult layout if your room is in that area.

My one thought on the not walking through the 'no one under 18 area' with kids in tow. I completely understand but our room was on one side of this area and we needed to just get to the other side. We did walk through with our kids but did it very quickly and i always said as I walked through quickly quickly. I hope that this did not bother others. If so and we are in this situation again we will not do it but it is a difficult layout if your room is in that area.
I noticed this when we were in the adult area on our cruise. The families went through very quickly so I really didn't see a problem. Making them go down stairs and down the hall and then right back up to the same deck would be unreasonable.

I noticed this when we were in the adult area on our cruise. The families went through very quickly so I really didn't see a problem. Making them go down stairs and down the hall and then right back up to the same deck would be unreasonable.
I would honestly run them through as fast I could.

In the past we saw mom and dad in the adult area and the kids show up to just “talk to them”. Once a mom and her young son went into the adult pool and a staff member very politely told her she had to go to the other pool area. This also happened at Castaway Cay in the adult beach.

I also think it’s great that a lot of the kid areas are restricted from the general shipboard population and limited to kids and their parents.

In the past we saw mom and dad in the adult area and the kids show up to just “talk to them”. Once a mom and her young son went into the adult pool and a staff member very politely told her she had to go to the other pool area. This also happened at Castaway Cay in the adult beach.

I also think it’s great that a lot of the kid areas are restricted from the general shipboard population and limited to kids and their parents.
Right. I wouldn't do that or if my child came to talk to me i would walk out of the area with them after they got me.

Actually, one morning we turned on Hercules. I absolutely love James Woods as Hades. A very under-rated film IMHO.

OWD

On our first two cruises, they played this on Funnel Vision at least twice. It was a great one for pool side. I also really like it.

We were on that same sailing, and I also did not like how they did the shows. I did like having extra showings of Beauty (we were on the Wonder last year and people got turned away from Frozen), but I think the regular movie theater would have been sufficient for Avengers and then they could have done the other live show as well. I wondered if maybe there is some contractual thing with the performers where they get a night off that led to that decision.

You got lucky leaving at 8 and getting right off. We left at 9 and the line to get off the ship was crazy! It took about an hour to get off the ship and through customs. This was our 5th Disney cruise, and I've never seen a line to get off.

This cruise, we were without the kids and still had a great time. LOVED the champagne bar they set up at the adult pool (although my credit card did not like it)! Enjoyed movies on Funnel Vision. Serenity Bay was lovely, and we thought the food there was better than what we had eaten last year at Cookies.

We have thought we should try a different line for when it's just the two of us. And soon we'll have some teenagers, and I think they would appreciate the offerings on some of the other lines as well.

This cruise, we were without the kids and still had a great time. LOVED the champagne bar they set up at the adult pool (although my credit card did not like it)!

I did not know about a champagne bar! Is that on all the ships? We're still deciding what to do with our placeholder.

The only people this would apply to would be folks staying in Concierge on Deck 11. On deck 12, you can take the midship stairs up and over to enter the forward section on 12. When we sail concierge, this is what we do every time. The rest of the decks are down and you can take any sets of stairs or elevators to get down there.

Yes, it is a less than ideal design, but you don't have to be inconvenienced at all. It just takes two seconds of thinking.

The only people this would apply to would be folks staying in Concierge on Deck 11. On deck 12, you can take the midship stairs up and over to enter the forward section on 12. When we sail concierge, this is what we do every time. The rest of the decks are down and you can take any sets of stairs or elevators to get down there.

Yes, it is a less than ideal design, but you don't have to be inconvenienced at all. It just takes two seconds of thinking.

We did not mind one bit when kids walked through. All we wanted was peace and quiet--kids walking through did not disturb that. Now, if it had been MY kids, I would have to go around because they cannot do anything quietly!! :)

I did not know about a champagne bar! Is that on all the ships? We're still deciding what to do with our placeholder.
It was a portable thing that looked like a giant trunk. I wish I had taken a picture of it. It was Moet & Chandon and they had three kinds. I enjoyed the "Ice Imperial" which is actually served over ice, with fruit in it. It was so good.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

Latest posts

facebook twitter