• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Vets Visit Disneyland Day 3...Hi Ho Hi Ho, Its off to early entry we go!

CamColt

The Cast
Myself - Self proclaimed Disney Freak...I like everything Disney and all rides
DH- Closet Disney Freak (he blames it on me, but loves it just as much), also will ride anything
Cam 8- Not very daring, likes the simple rides
Colt 5- Our wildman daredevil, who unfortuantely is too short for some rides

Today was EE at DL so like typical Disney commandos we were up at the crack of dawn and waiting for the gates to open by 6:45 am. Upon park opening we went straight to Fantasyland and got on the first ride of the day on the Matterhorn. We all loved it!

Next it was on to our usual first EE ride, Dumbo. 1 group was just getting on and we asked the CM if we could wait for the next ride. He said yes and quickly started that ride going. YAY, the kids could get the Golden Dumbo!!! :cool1: Of course once they did we were so busy video taping and taking pictures from in front we didn’t hear the announcement saying to remain facing forward…and had to be told again. “Parents, a reminder…remain facing forward at all times”. Oops! I’ve never been yelled at, at Disney before, LOL!

Next we went to the Mad Tea Party where again 1 group was getting on and no one else was around so we asked to wait. Again the CM allowed us to. Yay, another Golden Vehicle! :teeth: Ok, I was more excited than the kids, but to me, it’s the little touches like this that make Disney so special.

Next we rode Alice In Wonderland with just a few minute wait. We wanted to get on Casey Jr. next, but that wasn’t opening until 8:00, which was also time for Mickeys Toontown Madness. We decided to go get FPs for Buzz Lightyear before going to Toontown. When we got to Buzz it was pretty much a walk on so we rode it then. I found these guns tough to shoot with. I always do very well on Buzz at WDW, but I couldnt see where my lazer was shooting here.

It was now just about 8:00 and we lined up for Mickeys Toontown Madness. By now the line was huge and I was really thinking this may not be worth it, however the line moved quickly and before long we were in Toontown. There where characters around with lines for pictures and autographs. We went to Roger Rabbits Cartoon Spin to ride that, but it wasn’t opening for another 5 minutes we were told. We then went over to Gadgets Go Coaster and rode that with a short wait, then back to Roger Rabbit. We all really enjoyed Roger Rabbit. It was different.

By now the kids were whining they were hungry so we decided to leave TT and head to the Blue Ribbon Bakery. When leaving we saw the characters were doing a little ceremony/show. It sounded like they were making a Guest the Mayor of Toontown for the day, but we didn’t stay to watch.

When we exited TT we saw It’s a Small World was now opening up so we hopped on that, while we could with no line. I have to say I enjoyed going outside on this ride and the building itself is beautiful. I do prefer this one over WDW’s.

Finally we were on our way to breakfast, but not without a detour…I took the kids for a potty break while DH ran to Tomorrowland to get FPs for Space Mt. When he got there, the return time was later than we would be there so he got FPs for Autopia instead.

We met up at the Bakery at about 9:00 and there was a long line that unfortunately moved very slowly. But it was worth it! Even though there is a limited selection here, I highly recommend the “Very Big Cinnamon Buns”. That’s a meal in itself.

After breakfast it was our FP time for Autopia. This I feel is better than WDW’s Speedway for the simple reason they have FPs, LOL! That line at WDW never moves, but since the kids love driving the cars, we have to do it.

We wanted to get FPs for Star Tours, but they weren’t using FP here today. Instead we got FPs to ride Buzz again and opted to wait in line for Star Tours. The posted time was 40 minutes, but it was more like 30-35. This was the kids first time on this ride and DH and I had only done it once a long time ago at MGM so it seemed almost new to us too. This was another one we all really enjoyed. Cam was a bit nervous going in but he ended up having fun.

Next we went back to Fantasyland to do what we hadn’t made it to earlier. We rode Casey Jr with just a short line. While on it we noticed Mickey and the gang were climbing the Matterhorn. That was another nice Disney touch! We then went back to Mr. Toad. At one point early in the morning we had tried getting on here and just as we were walking up to the turnstile inside, the ride broke down. Luckily when we walked by now, it hadnt been open for long, so we only had a short wait. After Mr. Toad it was time for our Buzz FPs so we returned to Tomorrowland to ride that before 1 last stop in DL for the day…Dole Whips for lunch! I was very disappointed that they did not have the pineapple vanilla swirl that they have in WDW. I felt all pineapple was too much. But it didn’t stop us from eating a couple (split between us all). ;)

We were now going to take a midday break at our hotel, but not without one more stop. On our way out we hopped to California Adventure to get FPs for Soarin. We had planned to be back in CA by about 4:00 and the return time was 2:55-3:55. I figured we could make it. I know I’ve heard you can use FPs after the expiration time, but I don’t like to push my luck with that. I’ll be the one person who isn’t let on.

So, we went back to the hotel too cool off and take nice rest by the pool. That recharged us all before we headed by to California Adventure

It was about 3:45 when we arrived at CA so we went straight to Soarin. DH and I had done this in Epcot last month but it was the kid’s first ride. We all loved it! We then headed to Paradise Pier to see how the wait times were over there. We found in the late afternoon/early evening, this area was pretty slow.

DH and I both took turns riding Maliboomer in the single rider line. This is a great option for those who don’t mind riding alone. We waited no longer than 5 minutes each. While waiting and watching the ride up close, I realized it looked a lot scarier than I had thought. Now I’m not usually afraid of any rides, but for some reason this one looked scary and I almost chickened out. But, I didn’t…and I was so glad I rode it. It was very mild and fun, plus you get a great view up there. I could have ridden it over and over. :)

Next we all went on the Sun Wheel. The kids wanted one of the carts that didn't move in and out, so we went to that line in the back. While it was shorter than the regular line it also moved slower since only 1 out of every 3 carts get filled from this line. We all liked this one and again, got some great views. We even were able to see the big red “A” from Angels Stadium, where we would be going at the end of this trip (but the kids didn’t know yet). DH made sure to point it out to the kids though….and they soon found out why. ;)

We then had dinner at Pizza Ooo Mow Mow. For counter service we were very impressed with this. DH and Cam had pizza, Colt had the kids pasta (with sauce & meatball on the side, for me) and I had the adult pasta. I was surprised how big a plate it was and with Colts meatball, it was a very filling meal. Everyone else liked their food too.

It was finally time for my dreaded ride…Grizzly River Run. It’s a fun ride and I do enjoy it, but I hate being wet, LOL! But I sucked it up and crossed my fingers. One difference I found between this and Kali River Rapids at Animal Kingdom was on this it seemed like everyone got a turn at getting soaked where as at AK usually only a few people on the raft get the big soaking. So after we exited, I grabbed the hat from the bag and wore that for the rest of the night. :crazy:

To end our time at California Adventure we visited Fliks Fun Fair in A Bugs Land. Here we rode Tuck & Roll’s Drive Em Buggies (bumper cars). The kids got some laughs out of this one. We then tried for Fliks Flyers but they were shut down.

We had planned to come back to CA tomorrow morning, but we had finished all our “must dos” here. There were plenty of other things I would have loved to have seen, or done again, if we had more time, but with only 3 park days I was comfortable saying I did everything I “had” to do here. Well California Screamin was a must do, but being shut down, that wasn’t going to happen. That’s ok though, I have a great reason to go back now. ;)

Since it was about 6:30 we decided to go back to Disneyland. We had planned to visit back here later tonight for the fireworks, but we ended up making a little adjustment. By the time we left CA and made it into DL and up Main St it was now 7:00 and the Parade of Dreams was starting. We were able to find some standing room with an obstructed view, but since this was last minute, that was ok with us. We watched that and it was cute. Not my favorite parade ever, but definitely worth seeing if you can.

Since we hadn’t made it into Pinoochio’s Daring Journey during our Fantasyland time, we did that now, with very little wait. It was now a little before 8:00 and we were trying to decide what to do. We checked out Splash Mt but Fast Passes were gone and the wait was close to 2 hours. As I mentioned we had planned to stake out a spot for the fireworks, later on and we had planned to do the late show of Fantasmic tomorrow, however I didn’t know how well the kids would hold out for that

We decided to take a walk near the Rivers Of America just to check out how the viewing area was set up. While I had an idea about it, I hadn’t seen it in person yet. In doing so, we saw the center area, where the view would be perfect was just full in the sitting area. The CM told us we could line up right behind the rope blocking the sitting area off but that would be the standing area for the show. Since it seemed to work out for us we decided to see Fantasmic tonight(the early show, 9:00) and go for the fireworks tomorrow. So we got right behind the sitting room rope and sat while we waited…and waited…and waited. It was a long 60+ minutes and the kids were getting tired just sitting there in the dark, but we made it. Overall this show is really neat, and there were parts I prefer in this show over MGM’s, however I didn’t like have to sit on the ground for over an hour and defend my personal space from shovers, LOL! So for the overall rating I would say the 2 shows are even. DL’s show is better, but MGM’s set up/theater is better.

As I noted, about an hour ago the kids (ok all of us) were getting very tired so we were ready to call it a night. One thing we were unaware of is that the monorail doesn’t run during the fireworks. We had kept trying to take to monorail, but it didn’t seem to work out (something always came up). So this time we promised the kids we would take the monorail. After Fantasmic we tried making our way to Tomorrowland for this. As I noted, the fireworks were now going on. Trying to get across the park was impossible. One thing that really bothered me a couple time was during parades or fireworks while trying to walk and not watch the event, the CMs seemed to always be yelling. I understand they have a tough job of having to keep people moving but there were a few times we were literally on top of people in front of us and the CMs were still yelling directly at us to keep moving. We couldn’t plow people down.

Ok, rant over, back to the magic. We somehow made it over to the monorail to find it was closed. We waited for it to open and since we were the first people there we asked the CM if we could ride in front. When the monorail arrived it was empty so we got it! What a nice Disney touch, and a great way to end the night!!!

Since the second wind had kicked in by the time we reached our hotel, we had to get the kids to calm down a bit then we all crashed. What a day! :Pinkbounc

link to pictures
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=898816

Sounds like such a great trip. You even got the golden Dumbo, golden Teacup and the ride up front in the monorail (and you made it sound like you are not a very lucky person!). Thanks for posting and whetting my appetite for our trip.

TLinden16 said:
Another great day, Katie :)

Karen

And a long one. I didn't realize how long winded I was until I saw this one posted. Yikes! We really did have a blast! :goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter