• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Vets -- just reporting that we loved Disneyland

kathy884

DIS Veteran
Hi,
We just got back from a mini trip to the LA area, and we spend all day Jan. 11th at Disneyland and hit California Adventure on January 12th.

I've been to WDW 20+ times since 1971, but was only at Disneyland once before back in 1964 when I was four, so it's been 52 years. Anyway DS 21 and I who really enjoy the Magic Kingdom at WDW liked Disneyland even more. There is just something really quaint, more storybook like about it. It feels smaller and we just loved the music (great Disney classics). I didn't see a single melt down moment of parents with their little kids either. People just seemed so patient with their little ones, in no big rush, just having fun with them (It was really wonderful endearing to see that). Perhaps it's because there are more locals and not so many people doing that one time big expensive trip where they want to do everything and see everything and the little toddlers just aren't on that schedule.

The day we visited was pretty moderate crowd wise, so we got in everything we wanted to do between 10 a.m. park opening and 8:00 p.m. (We called it a day at 8, even thought the park was open for an additional hour.) We especially enjoyed all the little kid rides at Fantasyland (not sure if that's the name for it here) and saw lots of other adults with no kids doing the same. I wasn't expecting us to have so much fun doing all those things, and we didn't even plan on them, but had time so did them all. Do note too, that we had done our research ahead of time and knew to not be shocked at how tiny the castle is and we made sure to try all the headliner attractions that aren't at WDW. It seems too that DL is really into making their rides smooth - great for a 56 year old back -- couldn't believe how smooth Space Mountain was. We took our time and watched the Disneyland band, the Dapper Dans, etc. It was really a fun day.

It rained all day for the most part on the 12th, on our CA Adventure day. We got a kick out of the Carsland theming etc., but it didn't have that endearing vibe that Disneyland had for us. The rain might have had some bearing on that too. We were really glad, though, with being out all the way in LA that we got to see that too. DS especially was really glad to be able to see the World or Color evening show also.

Anyway, just wanted to give one WDW vet's impressions.

I'm not going to give ride to ride comparisons, what's at one and not the other, etc. as there are plenty of threads about that with people with more expertise on the subject.

If there is one thing that I think I would have done differently it's go to Disneyland at a time with a probability of slightly warmer and dryer weather.

I'll also report that despite people telling me to get a two day hopper, one day at each park worked perfectly for us. There was so much to do and it was such a nice atmosphere at Disneyland that we easily spent the whole day there without any desire to hop. And then the next day, we had already done everything we wanted to do at Disneyland, so didn't have any desire to upgrade to a hopper and hop back. On our CA Adventure day, we took a late afternoon break to get out of the rain and relax at our Harbor Drive motel and then headed back in the evening. Just my opinion, of course, but I think perhaps the hopping is particularly attractive to the people who have been to Disneyland many times before and not as necessary for those who have never been. The general consensus / advice on this forum seems to be that everyone should get hoppers. In our case, though, I'm glad we used our own judgment and didn't spend the extra money. DS21 and I were both in total agreement on this too. I'm sure touring style, ages of individuals in your party, number of days you are visiting would all have a bearing on this judgement call too.

It was really cool too just being able to walk over to our motel on Harbor Drive. In Orlando we usually have much nicer accommodations (a great condo resort), but it was pretty magical to have a five to seven minute walk over to a perfectly acceptable clean comfortable motel. I really liked that and if I were to come again, I would pick a basic place really close on Harbor Drive again too.

Last edited:
Glad you enjoyed your visit :). I know what you mean about the meltdowns. At WDW I saw parents lose it with their kids and it was kind of shocking. Supposed to be the happiest place on earth! Can I ask which motel you stayed on Harbor?

Glad you enjoyed your visit :). I know what you mean about the meltdowns. At WDW I saw parents lose it with their kids and it was kind of shocking. Supposed to be the happiest place on earth! Can I ask which motel you stayed on Harbor?

We stayed at the Camelot Inn and Suites. Our room was surprisingly spacious The property was right next to McDonalds and Panera Bread. DS 21 picked it out of the choices I gave him, I think for the cute little pool area and hot tub. And the one night too, he met some other 20 somethings at the hot tub and they invited him to hang with them at McDonald's after the hot tub closed at 10. The one thing I think some people look for that this didn't have is a continental or full breakfast. I'm, though, not a fan of hotel breakfasts usually, except for Embassy Suites. We grabbed Egg McMuffins one day and bagels at Panera the other, which was great for us.

* thank you, I like the idea you had about Disneyland being a " storybook". It has that feel of comfort that folks seek everyday,
* I discourage park hoppers for first timers on short visits, brand new folks have no need or manage park hopping, so thank you for sharing that and the will probably help a lot of folks lurking this site
* right on about DCA not having that comfort level, part of it is that Disneyland has massive pockets of vegetation and water, DCA does not have that feel. IF Dca had been created like Carsland and Bugsland from the begining, then it would have worked.
* little kid rides huh? I am 60 years old and when I first visited Disneyland, we had specific coupons for certain rides and not all rides could be ridden due to the limited coupons in the book. The correct term is ticket, but coupon is a better description. so for me, Fantasyland is my disneyland, and I am that 60 year old adult riding Snow white over and over in the same car,
* your magical 5-7 mintue walk. Arriving at WDW ruined WDW for me, I was taking a first timer from NYC to a disney park and I was sharing about the magic of arriving, and boom, in 1983 we parked in parking lot and had to ride an attraction to WDW and it was so spread out that there was no comfort....and to this day I remembber nothing about that one day trip, whereas i remember Epcot very well
* Thank goodness the Dominguez had a small orange grove

We stayed at the Camelot Inn and Suites. Our room was surprisingly spacious The property was right next to McDonalds and Panera Bread. DS 21 picked it out of the choices I gave him, I think for the cute little pool area and hot tub. And the one night too, he met some other 20 somethings at the hot tub and they invited him to hang with them at McDonald's after the hot tub closed at 10. The one thing I think some people look for that this didn't have is a continental or full breakfast. I'm, though, not a fan of hotel breakfasts usually, except for Embassy Suites. We grabbed Egg McMuffins one day and bagels at Panera the other, which was great for us.

I've heard good things about Camelot. It's nice they have a lot of eating options nearby :)

Good to know! Just booked Camelot Inn for our first trip to DLR. we have been to WDW each of the last 3 years, looking forward to DL.

I have been to DL many times and only got a park hopper on one trip. I just like dedicating the whole day to one park. We didn't really use the hoppers when we had them either.

It's very perceptive, what you said about park hoppers! We fairly recently moved out west, so we had previously only been to DL once when we were in CA for a wedding. That time, my MIL joined us and was assured that we HAD to have hoppers, so she pre-purchased them for all of us. It was an utter waste of money. We hopped exactly once, and only b/c we felt like we should! On our one (so far!) DL trip since we moved this way, I decided nope. I figured if the kids had tons of energy and liked going back and forth, we could upgrade once we were there. We never did. So I totally understand what you're saying about locals wanting to do certain things and those much more familiar with DL - that makes so much sense, and now I don't feel "weird" that hoppers don't work for us! (yet!)

Thanks for all he great info!!!
I am so excited for our 1st Disneyland trip. We are stopping for 3nighys on our way to Aulani.
We are staying on points at the Grand Californian.
Would you change your mind on park hopping if you were staying there?
I was totally onboard for park hop but now I am thinking.
For background.... We will arrive at resort late morning on a Thursday and leave early sun morning.
Thanks
Kerri

Really glad you enjoyed Disneyland.

To us, it's just a whole different experience to WDW. As much as I love Epcot for example, there's just something about Disneyland that makes me long to be there at least 150 times a day. I can never explain it fully but I just like the more local feel to it and the fact that Walt walked there! The cast members are just amazing too. I would move to the LA area in a heartbeat if I could to be one of those locals.

Last edited:
Really glad you enjoyed Disneyland.

To us, it's just a whole different experience to WDW. As much as I love Epcot for example, there's just something about Disneyland that makes me long to be there at least 150 times a day. I can never explain it fully but I just like the more local feel to it and the face that Walt walked there! The cast members are just amazing too. I would move to the LA area in a heartbeat if I could to be one of those locals.
I am really excited to step foot in and "walk in Walt's shoes". DL is where it all started :-)
Kerri

so do you what to arrive at your ocean destination exhausted??

Friday should be an all day DCA event, you will have early entry, so you can get a lay of the land and have no problem with RSR fastpass. You need to see DCA at night, Caddalic range, neon in Carsland, back lighting in Grizzly and bugsland, Woc. So plan a rest on friday afternoon, photograph GC touches, visit Disneyland hotel, downtown and by all means ride the tram to the parking lot....its free. So if you like taking photos, eating great food, then DCA can be a full one day.

Then on Saturday, early again into Disneyland, why hop over to DCA, the DCA thrills are just mimcs of WDW, and with the exception of Carsland, you have already seen similar. The 1.5 days will not be enough anyhow for Disneyland, and when you feel you have had enough of the lines, then photograph all the tiny details of Disneyland. From the train station to castle, it would take a good two hours to photograph and see every detail, plus entertainment, flag ceremony

I have many times cut through DCA on my way to DL from the GCH or just gone back to the hotel cutting through DCA (and you can stop off at the Trolley Treats for goodies on the way!!) So, yes, I use hoppers even more to go back and forth from the GCH.

The op has a good point about park hoppers for first timers on short visits. I would want hoppers if I was staying at the grand. We almost always end everyday going through dca to the hotel and hit grizzly as it last ride. we also start there on days with emh. Even if you are only there a few days I think you will use park hoppers if you are staying at the grand.

Thanks for the summary - we’re planning an adults-only DLR trip for the first time in 10 years in February (have done several WDW trips in that time). We also staying at the Camelot Inn so I appreciate your remarks, especially about breakfast. We’re spending 4 1/2 days in the parks so we should have time to do everything that we want (disappointed that it looks like World of Color, POC and the Matterhorn will be closed for refurb). We’re going to be there for my birthday (first time in a Disney Park!) and have a reservation for Wine Country Trattoria. Really looking forward to a fun trip.

Hi,
We just got back from a mini trip to the LA area, and we spend all day Jan. 11th at Disneyland and hit California Adventure on January 12th.

I've been to WDW 20+ times since 1971, but was only at Disneyland once before back in 1964 when I was four, so it's been 52 years. Anyway DS 21 and I who really enjoy the Magic Kingdom at WDW liked Disneyland even more. There is just something really quaint, more storybook like about it. It feels smaller and we just loved the music (great Disney classics). I didn't see a single melt down moment of parents with their little kids either. People just seemed so patient with their little ones, in no big rush, just having fun with them (It was really wonderful endearing to see that). Perhaps it's because there are more locals and not so many people doing that one time big expensive trip where they want to do everything and see everything and the little toddlers just aren't on that schedule.

The day we visited was pretty moderate crowd wise, so we got in everything we wanted to do between 10 a.m. park opening and 8:00 p.m. (We called it a day at 8, even thought the park was open for an additional hour.) We especially enjoyed all the little kid rides at Fantasyland (not sure if that's the name for it here) and saw lots of other adults with no kids doing the same. I wasn't expecting us to have so much fun doing all those things, and we didn't even plan on them, but had time so did them all. Do note too, that we had done our research ahead of time and knew to not be shocked at how tiny the castle is and we made sure to try all the headliner attractions that aren't at WDW. It seems too that DL is really into making their rides smooth - great for a 56 year old back -- couldn't believe how smooth Space Mountain was. We took our time and watched the Disneyland band, the Dapper Dans, etc. It was really a fun day.

It rained all day for the most part on the 12th, on our CA Adventure day. We got a kick out of the Carsland theming etc., but it didn't have that endearing vibe that Disneyland had for us. The rain might have had some bearing on that too. We were really glad, though, with being out all the way in LA that we got to see that too. DS especially was really glad to be able to see the World or Color evening show also.

Anyway, just wanted to give one WDW vet's impressions.

I'm not going to give ride to ride comparisons, what's at one and not the other, etc. as there are plenty of threads about that with people with more expertise on the subject.

If there is one thing that I think I would have done differently it's go to Disneyland at a time with a probability of slightly warmer and dryer weather.

I'll also report that despite people telling me to get a two day hopper, one day at each park worked perfectly for us. There was so much to do and it was such a nice atmosphere at Disneyland that we easily spent the whole day there without any desire to hop. And then the next day, we had already done everything we wanted to do at Disneyland, so didn't have any desire to upgrade to a hopper and hop back. On our CA Adventure day, we took a late afternoon break to get out of the rain and relax at our Harbor Drive motel and then headed back in the evening. Just my opinion, of course, but I think perhaps the hopping is particularly attractive to the people who have been to Disneyland many times before and not as necessary for those who have never been. The general consensus / advice on this forum seems to be that everyone should get hoppers. In our case, though, I'm glad we used our own judgment and didn't spend the extra money. DS21 and I were both in total agreement on this too. I'm sure touring style, ages of individuals in your party, number of days you are visiting would all have a bearing on this judgement call too.

It was really cool too just being able to walk over to our motel on Harbor Drive. In Orlando we usually have much nicer accommodations (a great condo resort), but it was pretty magical to have a five to seven minute walk over to a perfectly acceptable clean comfortable motel. I really liked that and if I were to come again, I would pick a basic place really close on Harbor Drive again too.

It's interesting that you both mention the parents getting angry with their kids more noticeably at WDW compared to Disneyland. Disneyland is our "home park" and we have visited WDW once. We were shocked at how many times we saw parents screaming at their kids at the most magical place on earth. I wondered at the time if it was just a fluke, or perhaps a result of visiting during an incredibly hot and crowded month (August). I can totally understand these factors contributing to being a bit of a grump, but I rarely if ever see parents getting so upset with their kids at Disneyland.

Thanks everyone... I can't mulitquote on my phone.
I didn't know walking in "walts shoes" was a tour. That sounds amazing.
I think I will stick with park hopper just because I'm staying at GCV.
I can totally see how it is not necessary.
Thanks
Kerri

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter