• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW vets do DL with littles! April 2016

azarine

Mouseketeer
  1. Hello all, thanks for reading! We had a wonderful, relaxing vacation in April and I'm happy to share what we learned. We are me, DH, DD 6, and DS 3.5. We just did WDW in June 2015 and had a wonderful time, but with this trip we were looking for more relaxing, less walking, and less hot/humid weather! We booked 4 nights in a 1 br villa at the Villas at the Grand Californian and LOVED it - amazing to be so close to the parks, and have room to spread out and put the kids to bed in their own room. DH and DS are huge Star Wars fans so we were excited for everything Star Wars on this trip. I was looking forward to one more trip of princess magic with DD because she's rapidly outgrowing her princess phase :)

I am in the midst of moving and can't get photos on here right now but I thought I'd post my report anyway, because I read so many TR's before ours that were so helpful!

Saturday- we flew into SNA at 9:30 am - fantastic choice. Nice small airport, super easy to get baggage and rental car. Unfortunately, DD6 had been sick for the past 24 hours. I was praying we could get into our room early, but no such luck. We checked in and gave them our luggage, and were at the DCA entrance by 11. Today we didn’t have any plan except we had to get to Super Hero HQ because today was the last day. It was pretty hot and crowded this day. We first got Buzz and Star Tours FP. We had lunch at Galactic Grill just as a Jedi Training show was starting, so that was great timing for us to eat and watch. We rode Buzz with our FP, then headed to Super Hero HQ. Met Spider-Man which the kids loved, then DD6 was fading fast. I took her back to the GCH and ended up just holding her in the lobby while she slept. DH and DS did Launch Bay, rode Star Tours, and saw the Path of the Jedi film. Our room wasn’t ready until 4:15 unfortunately. We had dinner from Whitewater snacks. DH went to the grocery store while I put the kids to bed early.
  2. Sunday - DD woke healthy, thank goodness, but at 5:15 am and raring to go! I was awake then anyway. DH and DD went to get breakfast and coffee from Whitewater. We left the room at 7:15 for 8 am rope drop. They let us in to a rope at the hub, and we were right at the rope. We went straight to Peter Pan, 5 min wait. Then Alice, Dumbo, Mr Toad, Pinocchio, Storybook land canal boats, carousel. What an awesome morning - the kids were flying high. The kids and I then headed to Toon Town right after the 9 am opening, while DH went back to Starbucks for fuel. A note that lack of food options in the mornings was a frequent problem! There was nothing open way back in Toontown and not much even in Fantasyland. We also met the Mad Hatter along the way. Toon Town was fun - the kids loved Goofy’s house. We met Goofy, Mickey, and Minnie.

3. We walked to Pirates at 10:15, looked like long wait but only 15 min and moved fast. Loved Pirates! We checked at 11 for our 11:30 Blue Bayou reservation, and they said to come back at 11:20, and said all 11:30 reservations get waterside tables. We did the Treehouse (kids loved it) and then went back at 11:20 - the place was swamped then but seated in 5 min. Loved it! Delicious food and unique atmosphere.

4. At 12:30, Haunted Mansion had 35 min wait, but FP return of 1 pm! So we grabbed FP’s and went to check out the train sitting in the station. We had a lovely break eating churros, listening to the band that went through, and exploring the train! We went back to the caboose and were the only people there - the kids loved it.

5. We did Haunted Mansion with FP which we all loved. Then back to the hotel for nap for parents!

6. After nap we headed to the pool for 1.5 hrs, enjoyed drinks by the pool while the kids playing. Great pool. The weather was perfect. Unfortunately this turned out to be the only time we made it to the pool! Just too many things to do!

7. DH picked up dinner from Napolini and brought it back to the room- yummy pizza. We all got to bed early.

8. Monday - the kids woke early again - still on Mountain time! We were first in line for bag check and rope drop at DCA! Our original plan was to do TSMM first and then get FP for RSR later. Because we were so early, we decided to do RSR first (only about 30 people ahead of us). This was probably a bad idea solely because it was a little fast for both of my kids - I think they would have tolerated it better later in the day.

9. Then we headed to TSMM with NO wait. TSMM didn’t have a wait at all for the first few hours that day. Then we did the carousel, and DH took the kids to Mater (ugh, 20 min line), while I got us Starbucks. Luigi had 20 min line so we skipped it. The kids were starting to lose steam. We headed to Paradise Pier, did the jellyfish ride, and then the kids wouldn't do the other rides. No food open yet over there - grr. We did the Little Mermaid ride which they loved. FP for Soarin was down. We headed to Redwood creek- great place. Perfect change of pace for them to run around. Then 11 am Ariel’s Grotto reservation- yummy clam chowder. Good princess interaction. Then back for nap for DS, and spa appointment for a massage for me!!! It was a decent spa, nothing super impressive but very relaxing.

10. DS slept till 3:30. We headed through a very crowded DL for the parade- spots were hard to find at 4. We tried for the spots by the Alice restrooms but no luck. Kids loved the parade but DS was tired and overstimulated. DH took him back to the hotel for a break. DD and I went to Mickey and the Magical Map - awesome show. We did the castle walkthrough and had dinner at Pinocchio.

11. DH and DS headed to DCA and got corn dogs - DH’s favorite thing ever :) I shopped with DD, dropped off our stuff, and then headed to DCA to meet DH & DS. We had reservations for the WOC Dessert Party!!! We lined up at 8 pm, were about 10 people back. They did a good job of having a line demarcated plenty early. This was an AWESOME experience. We chose front (low) seats which were great for our kids (our 3 year old doesn't sit still long) The view from the high seats was probably better. The food was delicious and the show was amazing. So glad we didn’t have to fight for standing room. The kids did awesome staying up so late.

12. Tuesday- we let kids sleep in. They woke about 6:45. Today we were headed to DL which did have a MM at 7 am but we knew we wouldn’t be there early enough to take advantage of it much. We were in line by 7:30- crazy long lines. We didn't realize that everyone can get in at 7 am for MM, but just to the hub where they check for resort keys. We went to Tomorrowland which was already nuts, Space Mtn was 45 min wait, star tours long too. We rode Buzz again and then got Hyperspace Mtn FP.

13. I took the kids to Nemo subs - relaxing but a little dark/scary. Then we did Small World together. I had been watching the app for Aurora because she’s DD’s favorite (after doing the Perfectly Princess Tea Party at WDW last year), and she wasn’t at Ariel’s Grotto. I saw she was meeting so we ran over to the castle and were able to meet her with very little wait. They we saw Mary Poppins and Bert so met them too! DH and DS had left us to do the Casey Jr train. Then we did Hyperspace Mtn with our FP - too fast for both kids but they did okay. DH loved it :)

14. We had a 10:30 reservation for Minnie's Breakfast at the Plaza. They said an inside table would be a 15 minute wait so we sat outside, and it turned out ok - great character interaction and not too crowded. Nice to have a little space for the kids. They were tired by this time. Back to hotel for attempted naps.

15. DD had a 3 pm Anna Elsa boutique appt- it was awesome! We had done BBB at WDW so I didn’t really want to pay for it again. DD seemed to enjoy this just as much. Loved being all done up and getting lots of attention after! They have a photo booth there that she enjoyed.

16. We had Paint the Night/Aladdin’s Oasis tickets and had to get our meal at 3:45. This was good timing with our late breakfast. We ate there and glad we did - great quiet relaxing spot, yummy lasagna.

17. Then we did Pooh with 5 min wait, and Star Tours with our FP. It was getting crowded and the kids wanted to go back to hotel. We had some downtime and then at 7:30 left for the parade. Crazy crowds walking back to Small World for our reserved seating for Paint the Night. This was a madhouse. NOTE - there are TWO entrances to line up at - we should have gone to the back one, closer to Small World. There was no line - just a crush of people. When we got in and were picking a spot, I didn't realize that the parade went all the way around the area (comes out of the doors to the right of Small World). We could have had a better spot but oh well. Nice to not be crowded though. When picking a spot think about fireworks viewing too (avoid light poles).

18. The parade was amazing - both kids were in awe. DS fell asleep in the stroller (a first for him) during the parade, and slept through the fireworks. I couldn’t believe it. The fireworks were awesome too. There WAS snow back there during the Frozen part. Ivy “he's not so cute when he's awake” Very crowded walk back.

19. Wednesday-we let the kids sleep in. Declan woke at 7. We got all packed up, called bell services, dropped off rented stroller, and used DCA entrance. Soarin had a 5 min wait at 7:45. We all loved this one. Then headed to Bugs Land, where the kids enjoyed the little rides. Saw Nick and Judy but skipped meeting them as it was a long wait. Checked out the Animation bldg- amazing screens. We just sat on the floor in there for awhile. Then did the Monsters Inc ride - kids really enjoyed this one. Not much open early over there - we never saw Turtle Talk because it wasn’t open yet this morning. Wanted to meet Olaf but it was just one super long line for Olaf/Anna/Elsa. DH took kids to the Disney Jr show while I took a coffee break and shopped and relaxed. Then we headed back slowly to the GCH, leaving Disneyland for who knows how long!

20. Phase 2 of our trip - we picked up my sister at the airport, and went to our AirBNB in Corona del Mar. Lovely 4 bedroom house only 5 minute walk from the beach. We had a wonderful 2 days here despite lots of rain. This was our kids' first time at the ocean and they LOVED it. Little Corona del Mar beach is amazing - tide pools, and saw a seal right on the beach, and dolphins. This was a great end of the trip - nice and quiet and unscheduled for our kids after the stimulation of Disney.
THOUGHTS
-Photopass - we loved this at WDW, used photographers a ton, but here we just didn't. I wish I'd taken more time to get photos of the 4 of us. It was just easier here to take our own character photos, so we ended up just buying 1 image that we didn't get ourselves.
-I can't believe how many things we missed, but oh well. We really wanted a vacation and didn't want to drag the kids around if they were tired.
-After having done DL and WDW with small kids, I would definitely do DL first when they are small. It's so much less overwhelming with less transit time between things. Plenty of magic for them and less tiring.
-We are huge Grand Floridian fans, and the Grand Californian was lovely, but just didn't quite measure up to the grandeur of the GF. Probably also because I have so many memories there. We didn't feel the same Disney bubble we do at the GF. But still loved the GCH and had a wonderful time.
-DS3 was just entering a big Cars AND Buzz Lightyear fan stage so this was so perfect. He loved Carsland - just seeing Mater drive down the street was amazing for him. He could have done TSMM and Buzz a million times.
-So. Cal. in April is just lovely - beautiful weather.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter