• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Vets 1st Stay at the Disneyland Resort! Trip Report Started 9/13

Jenna319

DIS Veteran
I have been patiently waiting for this trip for months now and I figured a good outlet for my anticipation was to write a pre-trip report on my wonderful disboards!!

I just got a new camera today so I am so ready to take hundreds of pictures once in Disney! I am an obsessed Disney-a-holic, ask anyone I work with and they will stand by that fact! :)

I am 28 years old and my husband is 31, married 3 years this October so we will be celebrating our anniversary a little early on this trip as well as my DHs 32nd bday Sept 8th.

My husband and I have been to WDW about 8 times and DLR twice in the past 6 years, but haven't been to DLR since 2006. Our absolute fave place to stay in WDW is the Polynesian and we got to stay there for the 1st time together last September. Here's hoping GCH will live up to our beloved Poly!!!

I am starting my trip with my mom in Las Vegas staying at the Palazzo (in a comp room! woohoo!) for 3 nights from 8/30-9/2. We plan on seeing La Reve, Divas with Frank Marino, Gordie Brown, and of course, the Lion King!

I will then be meeting my husband at John Wayne airport on 9/2 where I am surprising him for his bday with a camaro SS from Avis!!!! It is his all-time dream car and I cannot WAIT to see his face when I hand him the keys and say its all yours for the week!!

This trip will be our first time staying on-site and we went all out and are staying at GCH in a theme park view from 9/2-9/6. I think I got a fantastic deal..... I changed our hotel 3 different times! LOL Started out booking a package with the get 2 free nights at PPH.... but I just couldn't get excited about PPH. So I decided to change to room only at DLH but then was worried about construction and pool being closed. So finally, I found an offer for Disney Visa offering a $200 gift card if you booked at GCH sooooooo...... I made the change! And not only did they give me the gift card deal, they also have me booked under the summer savings rate. So when I called a few weeks ago to pay off my balance, they made sure they got supervisor approval because apparently, I shouldn't have been given both deals! So my total for 4 nights over labor day weekend thursday-monday staying at GCH with a theme park view and including a $200 gift card at check in was $1228! We are using our WDW tickets so we don't have to worry about spending money on tickets and thanks to the fabulous Disney Visa that we both have, we also have over $200 in Disney Reward dollars to use.

I have PS made for dinner at Blue Bayou, dinner at Ariels Grotto for WOC, lunch at Cafe Orleans (cant wait to try the Monte Cristo, Pomme Frites, and beignets!!), dinner at Naples, breakfast at Goofys Kitchen (pb & j pizza!!!!), and lunch at Carnation Cafe (loaded baked potato soup here i come!!!).

Im disappointed that TSM and HM will be down because I have yet to experience those on the West Coast but we will be doing all these for the first time- Matterhorn, Aladdin show, Monsters Inc, Capt EO, Abraham Lincoln, Roger Rabbit Cartoon Spin, WOC, and Sleeping Beauty walk-through.

In addition to spending 2 full days at Disney, we also plan on going to a Dodger game (my husband is a die-hard Dodger fan from Chicago lol), taking a tour of the stars homes in Beverly Hills, and getting a ride on the Goodyear Blimp (my friend is one of the pilots!).

Then, on Monday, we check out of GCH :( and drive down to San Diego to end our trip and spend 3 nights at the Pacific Terrace Hotel right on the beach where we have an ocean-view room w/ a balcony booked. This hotel got wonderful reviews on trip advisor and offered a free night if you stay 2 nights and Im really looking forward to checking this place out. We plan on seeing another Dodgers (padres) game on my husbands bday and go to the San Diego Zoo, Balboa Park, and USS Midway. These 3 weeks better go by fast!!! I will post my finished trip report (with many many pics) when I return!

Sounds like a great trip! We are WDW Vets that just made our first trip to DLR! What a deal you got on the hotel! We stayed at PPH and were very happy there but the Grand would have been wonderful!

Looking forward to your report!

Yup you can use WDW tix at DL if they are non expiring. Just take them right to the turnstile and they will exchange for you on a daily basis. You cannot, however, use DL tix at WDW.

Jenna,

I remembered reading your thread about the 200 gc when u use your disney visa..i called about a month ago and he quoted me $426 plus tax for the GCH...plus the GC..at the time i wasn't ready to book..i just called 30 minutes ago to get the summer deal and GC offer and she said its either or. I told her i need to call back. Now i'm trying to get through on the phone again and the phone keeps hanging up on me..Ive tried at least 10 times. If the person doesn't give me the offer, i'm going to ask politely to speak to a supervisor to try and get the deal. I'm sure several other people (besides your self) got both deals..consider ur self lucky that the person who helped u with the GC offer, didn't know the policy for it lol

sry to take over ur thread lol..i called by and talked to a man and told him i was quoted the summer rate as well as the $200 gc for $490..i pretended like i never even spoke with a woman before him..he gave me the rate and said i can pick up the gc when i check it..:]

anyways, hope you have fun. i know we will..we will be there almost the same time u are..aug 31-sept 2 :]

LVTiffy, that's great news that you got the deal!!! It always pays to call back and try again with someone new! Have a great trip!!

I am getting more excited by the day! Exactly one week from today, we will be landing in Orange County!!!! :-)

Hi Jenna,
The title of your TR caught my attention. I grew up going to DL but have been to WDW about four times, and am always eager to read people's comparisons.

I lived in Las Vegas for the past three years, but grew up in SoCal so I consider Disneyland like a second home. I can't even begin to imagine how many times I've been there, and am really looking forward to reading your TR and seeing all your pics! :yay:

The start of your trip sounds great! The Palazzo is very nice, you'll love the rooms. I've seen all the shows you mentioned.....great choices!! Divas is so hilarious, Le Reve is one of my absolute favorites, Gordie Brown was funny (make sure to walk around the pool at the Golden Nugget, it's awesome), and of course Lion King is wonderful. ::yes::

How nice of you to surprise your DH and rent such a cool car for him! Hope he doesn't read the DIS though. ;)

Sorry you'll miss Haunted Mansion while you are there. Darn. It's one of my favorites. That, and POTC. All your meals sound yummy. I could live on the pomme frites alone. lol

Glad you're going to do other things in the area too. I got married not far from Dodger's Stadium and miss the whole LA area. San Diego is great too. My DH and I used to take many weekend trips down to that area. Can you tell I am missing SoCal right about now??? LOL
I've heard about the Pacific Terrace Hotel and can't wait to hear your take on it.

Anyway, enjoy your trip. Have a safe and magical time!!! :wizard:

Mommau4, thanks for reading my pre-trip report! I cannot wait to get there already! I was apprehensive about le reve so I am excited to hear that you enjoyed it! I'm also looking forwar to going downtown Vegas for the 1st time! Nope DH doesn't read the Dis so he will be super shocked with my surprise! I will take as many pics as I can! :)

i leave on monday night and will be in the parks tues and wednesday..i'm kind of nervous that i wont get the 200 gc lol..but ill talk to a supervisor if they give me any hassle. I have $50 of my own disney gc, i wonder i i can put it towards the room ( i only put the down payment of one night so still owe another night)

MommaU4, vegas is NOTHING like LA/Orange County. Ive lived in so cali (15-20 mins away from disney) for 12 years. I have been there several times growing up. HOwever, i moved to vegas when i was 12 or 13, so i was never able to go to disney unless my parents took me) Now I'm 26 and I can go whenever I can..well whenever my $$ can lol.

Jenna, definately check out the golden nugget pool..they have a pretty neat fish/shark tank near the pool. U might actually be able to chill by the pool. on some days its open pool. The temperatures in Vegas isn't that bad..has been in the 100's. today was about 105, however dark clouds took over but no rain..news says rain so we will see..By the time you come out, it might clear up. Pallazo is a cool hotel. My bf used to work there when it first opened (we got free tickets for blue man, gordie and phantom.) I have seen blue man 4 times total lol. we never used the gordie tickets but i hear he is good..and we saw phantom..not my cup of tea but it had great reviews. I saw Jersey Boys at the pallazo..great show. its about frankie valli and the four seasons. Being my age, i loved it so that tells u how good it was. As for Lion King, I still have not seen it. I almost saw it in Hollywood back in 2001 (on a high school theatre trip) but at the last minute my group canceled seeing the show. Did u already get ur lion king tickets? I believe being a disney visa/debit holder you can able to get a free ticket seat upgrade..take advantage of that lol. hopefully ill be able to see it next month for my bday. anyways, looking forward to your TR. Have fuN!

I am also worried they will give me a hard time about the gift card but I would definitely ask for a manager and argue it bc they assured me I would get the gift card. I loove jersey boys!! Seen it once in Vegas and once in chicago. Have a great trip and please do let me know if they give u your gift card with no trouble!

And I found out about the Disney visa upgrade about 4 hrs after booking my lion king tix. Go figure huh!? I will still stop at the box office and see if maybe they can move us up if the theaters not full. I doubt it but it's worth a try!

well the box office customer service reps in las vegas are nothing like the people who work at disney. Vegas people are all grumpy lol. Hopefully they will help you out somehow.

Oh and btw the parking garage in the palazzo is really confusing. I was lost for 20 minutes go figure..but if you see it, you will know what im talking about lol.

I got my disney visa debit card just for the purpose of receiving the 200 gc to stay at Grand Califorian. So I better get it lol. The man on the phone reassured me I am getting the summer deal (which is already set into my price) as well as the GC. I'll let you know what happends when I get there Tuesday Morning.

Mommau4, thanks for reading my pre-trip report! I cannot wait to get there already! I was apprehensive about le reve so I am excited to hear that you enjoyed it! I'm also looking forwar to going downtown Vegas for the 1st time! Nope DH doesn't read the Dis so he will be super shocked with my surprise! I will take as many pics as I can! :)
The Le Reve theater is really neat too, it's circular, similar to the seating for LOVE if you've ever seen that.
When you are downtown, make sure to stick to Fremont St. to be safe, and don't forget to try a deep fried Twinkine or Oreo. :thumbsup2

MommaU4, vegas is NOTHING like LA/Orange County. Ive lived in so cali (15-20 mins away from disney) for 12 years. I have been there several times growing up. HOwever, i moved to vegas when i was 12 or 13, so i was never able to go to disney unless my parents took me) Now I'm 26 and I can go whenever I can..well whenever my $$ can lol.

Jenna, definately check out the golden nugget pool..they have a pretty neat fish/shark tank near the pool. U might actually be able to chill by the pool. on some days its open pool.

No sadly Vegas is nothing like LA or OC. I lived in SoCal (LA, then Glendale, then Burbank) for over 27 years. While I like Vegas, and we do lots of the fun touristy things here, it's not the same.

The GN pool is very cool. We stayed there twice this summer just for fun. My kids like it a lot, especially the water slide through the shark tank. Both times we stayed there they did ask for a room key upon entering the pool area. There is a deal where locals can swim for $20 per person but you need a NV license.
But in the evenings, once the pool is closed for swimming, anyone can go walk around to see the tank and there is outdoor couches and chairs with fire pits that make for a nice relaxing place to chill with a drink. :)

Well we made it to GCH! Looking out at Paradise Pier as we speak! Im back in paradise... Pics and report to follow! Crowds seem very low just from a quick observation.

Well we made it to GCH! Looking out at Paradise Pier as we speak! Im back in paradise... Pics and report to follow! Crowds seem very low just from a quick observation.

Have a fantastic time! I can't wait to read your trip report! Enjoy the GCH - unfortunately we just couldn't do it this time but hey, we are still going!

hey jenna..we got back yesterday..checked in tuesday and received a free upgrade to a DTD view on the 4th floor..4163. right by the entr to DTD but just on the 4th floor.i wish we had a private ladder going from our room to DTD lol. We also got the 200$ gc with no hassle. We used it on lots of food (napa rose, which we didnt like, Orleans Cafe, Carnation Cafe, and little snacks here and there. Oh ya and some wine :} I was shocked that the parks weren't crowded at all.

We got the gift card no problem too! We have watched WOC from our balcony every night and saw it from the preferred viewing dining area last night- which everyone must see it from the park. Completely different experience!!! Heading to lunch at carnation cafe now and dinner at blue bayou later!! Goofys kitchen for breakfast tomorrow and then we head to San Diego and I go through Disney withdrawals.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter