WDW Summary of NEW DAS changes and Disney Genie - Post ONE is an updated summary

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have done DAS video chat and ride pre-selections twice now, so understand overall how it works. However, I didn’t have park hoppers on those trips. I’m doing a quick two day trip this summer and will have park hoppers. Can I book my pre-selected rides later in the day at a park other than where my reservation starts or can it only be at where My reservation is?
At the park where you have reservations

I have done DAS video chat and ride pre-selections twice now, so understand overall how it works. However, I didn’t have park hoppers on those trips. I’m doing a quick two day trip this summer and will have park hoppers. Can I book my pre-selected rides later in the day at a park other than where my reservation starts or can it only be at where My reservation is?
No you can not

Well, I did my DAS advanced registration today! Was in the chat at 7:02 EDT, CM joined the chat at 9:20, video chat at 9:32, talking with advanced selections CM at 9:40 and completed the whole thing at 10:10. So a bit over 3 hours total. If I were the only one doing this, I wouldn't care, but my FIL and SIL have to do theirs, too and they are NOT die hard Disney people, so they don't know how you have to put up with this nonsense ahead of time to have a smooth vacation. Hopefully they will be able to get through OK.

Does anyone have recent experience with in-park DAS with shows? In particular I'm thinking Festival of the Lion King. Can I still select it on the phone, and how do the return times work? Thank you.

Does anyone have recent experience with in-park DAS with shows? In particular I'm thinking Festival of the Lion King. Can I still select it on the phone, and how do the return times work? Thank you.
I did the advance das for this show so I think you can do it on your phone.

My family has gotten a DAS Return Time for it in the app.
The attractions that are available for DAS Return Times on the day of your park visit will be listed as DAS Eligible Attractions on the My Disney Experience app under the DAS tile.
It is currently listed under the DAS tile - be aware when looking that attractions are listed in that area alphabetically by the full attraction name - that one is called ‘Celebration of the Festival of the Lion King’ - helpful to know when you can’t find it listed under ‘Festival’
DAS Return Times for live shows differ from other DAS Return Times - they have both a beginning and an end time because it is for a specific show. The time window is also shorter. If you are using a mobility device, I’d highly recommend arriving near the beginning of the return time - some have limited number of wheelchair spots and all might be full if you arrive at the end.

I waited 7 hours today. After 6 hours, I got to the screening questions and then the CM asked if I was ready to chat and I enabled my microphone and video. I got the thinking wheel for a few minutes and then a white screen that said "video chat". I waited and waited but nothing happened, so after another hour I closed out the window, only to see the CM had apparently tried to "send" me a link and then closed the chat. It was too late to enter the queue again, so I'll have to start over tomorrow.

Does anyone have any tips to make sure I'm not missing something again? I never saw her chat after I agreed to the video chat - just a white screen. I was on a tablet. Amy advice?

What a mess. I accepted the Terms and Conditions yesterday. Then this morning right at 7 I clicked on Request Live Video chat - it took me to an agent in a text box where i answered a few questions. Then the agent asked me if I had done a video chat! So I said that was why i was here. She said she apologized and that i should go to a different link, which only took me right back where i started AND said i needed to log in! (Which i was.) So then she said i needed to log out and log back in (which makes no sense). So I did that. Still no. Then she said i probably needed to close the chat. Which it wouldn't let me do. Somehow I did get it to close and now I have the generic text box asking me to wait. (It was 7:10 by the time I got there - any ideas on whether I will get in today?)

Please any help or tips on what i did wrong so that tomorrow i can be more prepared (or was it a DIS thing that went wrong?)! TIA

UPDATE - at 7:27 am it auto-logged me out! Says go back to previous page or log in to continue!

Last edited:
What a mess. I accepted the Terms and Conditions yesterday. Then this morning right at 7 I clicked on Request Live Video chat - it took me to an agent in a text box where i answered a few questions. Then the agent asked me if I had done a video chat! So I said that was why i was here. She said she apologized and that i should go to a different link, which only took me right back where i started AND said i needed to log in! (Which i was.) So then she said i needed to log out and log back in (which makes no sense). So I did that. Still no. Then she said i probably needed to close the chat. Which it wouldn't let me do. Somehow I did get it to close and now I have the generic text box asking me to wait. (It was 7:10 by the time I got there - any ideas on whether I will get in today?)

Please any help or tips on what i did wrong so that tomorrow i can be more prepared (or was it a DIS thing that went wrong?)! TIA

UPDATE - at 7:27 am it auto-logged me out! Says go back to previous page or log in to continue!
The Terms and Conditions need to be accepted each day, so that is the starting point. It sounds like there might have been a glitch that bypassed doing that - the chat link should not be active to click until you accept it.
It sounds like it took you to the chat portion for setting up DAS Advance Selections (there is a link in the chat box for people who have already done the video chat that you might have clicked on).

If you run into problems, logging out of the account and then logging back in clears things, so it is helpful to do. If you don’t get in today, log out at the end of the day and start over tomorrow by accepting the Terms and Conditions.

The message you got at 7:27 am is normal and happens about every 30 minutes. It doesn’t log you out, the chat window times out and needs to be reloaded.
You do need to go back to the previous page. If the chat window comes up with nothing in it, close the window and it will reload. The chat will open to the same place you left it. If you are concerned about whether the chat window is active, you can type something into the message portion - it should show up in the chat window and show ‘sent’

The Terms and Conditions need to be accepted each day, so that is the starting point. It sounds like there might have been a glitch that bypassed doing that - the chat link should not be active to click until you accept it.
It sounds like it took you to the chat portion for setting up DAS Advance Selections (there is a link in the chat box for people who have already done the video chat that you might have clicked on).

If you run into problems, logging out of the account and then logging back in clears things, so it is helpful to do. If you don’t get in today, log out at the end of the day and start over tomorrow by accepting the Terms and Conditions.

The message you got at 7:27 am is normal and happens about every 30 minutes. It doesn’t log you out, the chat window times out and needs to be reloaded.
You do need to go back to the previous page. If the chat window comes up with nothing in it, close the window and it will reload. The chat will open to the same place you left it. If you are concerned about whether the chat window is active, you can type something into the message portion - it should show up in the chat window and show ‘sent’
Thx for all this info. The issue with the chat box though is that i can't close it. It says go back to the previous page or log in. (Well I tried clicking the back button on my browser and that didn't refresh the chat box, and there is nothing in the chat box itself that allows me to go back. So then I tried logging out and logging in, and i get the same message in the empty chat box! I will attempt to do all the other stuff you said tomorrow but please any help on this inevitable occurrence tomorrow as to how to handle it is appreciated.

UPDATE: I accepted the Terms and Conditions, closed the window, reopened the window, and somehow the chat box returned. do you think i should wait this out today? am i really in the queue? I just clicked on the link (again) that the chat agent provided for getting to the video chat (which is where i started to begin with today), and the chat box is EMPTY again. Yet the verbiage from earlier today is in the other window.

Last edited:
Thx for all this info. The issue with the chat box though is that i can't close it. It says go back to the previous page or log in. (Well I tried clicking the back button on my browser and that didn't refresh the chat box, and there is nothing in the chat box itself that allows me to go back. So then I tried logging out and logging in, and i get the same message in the empty chat box! I will attempt to do all the other stuff you said tomorrow but please any help on this inevitable occurrence tomorrow as to how to handle it is appreciated.

UPDATE: I accepted the Terms and Conditions, closed the window, reopened the window, and somehow the chat box returned. do you think i should wait this out today? am i really in the queue? I just clicked on the link (again) that the chat agent provided for getting to the video chat (which is where i started to begin with today), and the chat box is EMPTY again. Yet the verbiage from earlier today is in the other window.
This is what you should see in the chat window when you first accept the Terms & Conditions and then tap to Begin Video Chat.
Is the circled part in this screenshot the link the agent supplied?
If so, that is the link to the DAS Advance Selection chat, not the video chat.
If the agent said he/she would put you into the DAS video chat, you will still see what that agent typed to you and should see a message similar to this screenshot. Just stay there - you are in the text chat portion of the video registration
BE479EDC-6169-45E2-8F19-A31C2AE058B9.jpeg

If you get a white screen/box with nothing in it, try going back and refreshing again. The chat window may be empty, but should have a small x in the top right corner to close the window.
I don’t understand what you mean by the bolded.
You should only have one chat window open and if you have one already open from earlier, it may be preventing you from opening chat in another window.

The messages in the chat don‘t go away - they are part of your history associated with the account you are logged into. When I recently logged in to renew DAS for my daughter, I was able to scroll back in the window and see all the information from when I registered her in January.

This is what you should see in the chat window when you first accept the Terms & Conditions and then tap to Begin Video Chat.
Is the circled part in this screenshot the link the agent supplied?
If so, that is the link to the DAS Advance Selection chat, not the video chat.
If the agent said he/she would put you into the DAS video chat, you will still see what that agent typed to you and should see a message similar to this screenshot. Just stay there - you are in the text chat portion of the video registration
View attachment 667110

If you get a white screen/box with nothing in it, try going back and refreshing again. The chat window may be empty, but should have a small x in the top right corner to close the window.
I don’t understand what you mean by the bolded.
You should only have one chat window open and if you have one already open from earlier, it may be preventing you from opening chat in another window.

The messages in the chat don‘t go away - they are part of your history associated with the account you are logged into. When I recently logged in to renew DAS for my daughter, I was able to scroll back in the window and see all the information from when I registered her in January.
Again thx for all your help. I decided to restart my computer and that got my chat active again. The nice man (Ronald) had been trying to set up the video and to his credit stuck around an extra 20mins and we got to do the video.

The latest issue (lol) is now I have been working with the agent on getting the times but the agent keeps getting booted - she came back the first time and apologized for the 20 minute delay but now the second time it has been over 90 mins. Should I wait this out? Should I just hope that this agent gets her computer fixed? If you recommend that i try a different agent, would i just "end conversation" and then click on the link to set up times again? Part of me wants to wait because she was going to do our whole trip, but if you think she is frozen forever, I will end it. Thx!

Last edited:
I waited it out and we finished. The agent was helpful but man the tech issues that DIS has/had and the lack of clarity on what the customer should do is beyond problematic. Sue's info above was very helpful - all I can say is be sure to log out and log in, then go back to the DIS page and click the link, then refresh the chat. Those instructions are vital and not intuitive or made clear at all!

Now it's time to look stuff over and try to change a few dining reservation times!

Last edited:
One hopefully final question: it says that you can access the DAS same day return times by tapping the More button on the bottom right of the app. When I do that, I do not see anything related to DAS. Is that because I have to be in the park for that feature to begin working?

Is that because I have to be in the park for that feature to begin working?
Correct. That won't appear until the DAS-holder has tapped-in at a park. And to get a DAS Return Time, your whole party will also need to be in the park (or anyone not in the park can't be included in the DAS Return Time).

I registered online for DAS this morning so coming here to report on my experience; maybe this will help & inform others (pay it forward!).

I used my iPad and it’s Safari browser. I made sure it go in Settings>Safari and verify that:
1.) Under “General”, Block Pop-ups was turned off
2.) Under “Settings for Websites”, Camera & Microphone were checked “Allow”

I opened one tab to use for logging/relogging in to MDE and a separate tab for the registration page.

I logged in to MDE on the login tab, then went to the registration page tab andI at 7:00am I accepted Terms & Conditions (it opened in a separate tab) then went back to reg page tab, scrolled down and clicked Request Live Video Chat.

A text chat box opened and I typed Good Morning right away just to make sure it was working. It was marked Sent so I knew I was good to go. Then it changed to Read and a CM came on at 7:06am. We said hello and she asked if she could take a photo. My photo now has me in my Minnie PJs as I thought I had hours to change in to day clothes before I would connect to a CM and the photo was to be taken, LOl! 😂

She asked if she could request a video chat, I said yes and then a separate video chat box opened next to the text chat box. We started our video chat where she asked about my concerns regarding waiting in lines and she approved me for DAS.

We spent about 15min with her explaining how DAS works and the next step where I would select rides. She said since I am staying on property, I could select rides for length of stay. While we were video chatting, back over in the text chat box she sent a list of rides that are not available for Advance Selection and those are the current & ‘suspended until August’ $ILL rides. She asked if I had any questions, which she answered. She said she would then send me over to the planning team.

We finished video chat, that box closed and at 7:23am a different CM came on in the text chat box. We said hello, she pulled up my account and asked me to confirm the names of guests in my DAS Planning Party.

At 7:30am the text chat box blanked out and told me to log back in, so I went to the login tab I had left open, hit the back button, logged in to MDE again, then went back to registration page tab, refreshed the page and the text box was as if I had never left. Easy peasey!

By 7:32am I was giving the CM dates and ride requests. She asked if I prefer morning, afternoon or evening. We went through the days and she could see if I had ADRs that conflicted. Most rides had a choice of 2 or 3 times available. It’s not like she said do you want this time or this or this, but rather I had said I prefer afternoon times and if there was a conflict with an ADR she would ask this time or that.

At 8:00am I was logged out again, so I repeated the same process I did at 7:30am.

The CM finished at 8:05am and asked me to check in MDE (website or app) what she had reserved for my selections. I used the app on my phone to do that. We tweaked a time or two and we were all done! She dropped a link in the text chat box that I could use to come back to the Advance Planning Team if I needed to make changes. She wished me a Magical Day and we finished at 8:12am.

I’ve since closed the registration page tab, reopened it, clicked Request Video Chat, and the text chat box reopened with all the info still there from earlier. So it does get saved (in perpetuity?) if you want to go back and refer to it again, like SueM mentioned in a previous post.

Feel free to ask any questions and I’ll try my best to answer them. 🥰

I registered online for DAS this morning so coming here to report on my experience; maybe this will help & inform others (pay it forward!).

I used my iPad and it’s Safari browser. I made sure it go in Settings>Safari and verify that:
1.) Under “General”, Block Pop-ups was turned off
2.) Under “Settings for Websites”, Camera & Microphone were checked “Allow”

I opened one tab to use for logging/relogging in to MDE and a separate tab for the registration page.

I logged in to MDE on the login tab, then went to the registration page tab andI at 7:00am I accepted Terms & Conditions (it opened in a separate tab) then went back to reg page tab, scrolled down and clicked Request Live Video Chat.

A text chat box opened and I typed Good Morning right away just to make sure it was working. It was marked Sent so I knew I was good to go. Then it changed to Read and a CM came on at 7:06am. We said hello and she asked if she could take a photo. My photo now has me in my Minnie PJs as I thought I had hours to change in to day clothes before I would connect to a CM and the photo was to be taken, LOl! 😂

She asked if she could request a video chat, I said yes and then a separate video chat box opened next to the text chat box. We started our video chat where she asked about my concerns regarding waiting in lines and she approved me for DAS.

We spent about 15min with her explaining how DAS works and the next step where I would select rides. She said since I am staying on property, I could select rides for length of stay. While we were video chatting, back over in the text chat box she sent a list of rides that are not available for Advance Selection and those are the current & ‘suspended until August’ $ILL rides. She asked if I had any questions, which she answered. She said she would then send me over to the planning team.

We finished video chat, that box closed and at 7:23am a different CM came on in the text chat box. We said hello, she pulled up my account and asked me to confirm the names of guests in my DAS Planning Party.

At 7:30am the text chat box blanked out and told me to log back in, so I went to the login tab I had left open, hit the back button, logged in to MDE again, then went back to registration page tab, refreshed the page and the text box was as if I had never left. Easy peasey!

By 7:32am I was giving the CM dates and ride requests. She asked if I prefer morning, afternoon or evening. We went through the days and she could see if I had ADRs that conflicted. Most rides had a choice of 2 or 3 times available. It’s not like she said do you want this time or this or this, but rather I had said I prefer afternoon times and if there was a conflict with an ADR she would ask this time or that.

At 8:00am I was logged out again, so I repeated the same process I did at 7:30am.

The CM finished at 8:05am and asked me to check in MDE (website or app) what she had reserved for my selections. I used the app on my phone to do that. We tweaked a time or two and we were all done! She dropped a link in the text chat box that I could use to come back to the Advance Planning Team if I needed to make changes. She wished me a Magical Day and we finished at 8:12am.

I’ve since closed the registration page tab, reopened it, clicked Request Video Chat, and the text chat box reopened with all the info still there from earlier. So it does get saved (in perpetuity?) if you want to go back and refer to it again, like SueM mentioned in a previous post.

Feel free to ask any questions and I’ll try my best to answer them. 🥰
Thank you for the very detailed information!

As someone who has not used the newest version of DAS (through the app) or the online pre-registration process yet, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed just by reading through the posts. I just wanted to thank those that had posted because it takes some of the anxiety of the unknown away.

Perdita indicated that because she would be on property should could select 2 rides per day in advance for the length of her stay. Is that the standard? If so, that would mean I need to have my tickets, park reservations and room info all set up in MDE ahead of doing anything with DAS registration, correct?

As someone who has not used the newest version of DAS (through the app) or the online pre-registration process yet, I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed just by reading through the posts. I just wanted to thank those that had posted because it takes some of the anxiety of the unknown away.

Perdita indicated that because she would be on property should could select 2 rides per day in advance for the length of her stay. Is that the standard? If so, that would mean I need to have my tickets, park reservations and room info all set up in MDE ahead of doing anything with DAS registration, correct?
Yes, you do. I would register tickets as soon as you get them so you can reserve your park days. You don't want to take a chance at the park filling up before you reserve.

I don’t know if the “book Advance Selections for length of stay if staying on property” is the standard, but it is what I was told (unprompted by me) by the CM during my registration video chat. So I suppose YMMV.

For DAS registration you need to have park admission and family & friends all linked up in your MDE (it says this on registration page).

For DAS planning to choose your Advance Selections, you also need to have your park reservations in place (it says this on planning page).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter