WDW Should Not Open in July. Discuss.

Should WDW open in July?

• Yes. I'd definitely go if I had the chance.

Votes: 133 26.3%
  • No. Not in July, but I would go before a vaccine is available.

Votes: 203 40.2%
  • No. Not in July, and I won't feel safe going until there is a vaccine.

Votes: 169 33.5%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am sorry but all theme parks shouldn't be open yet. I look at how we have done here in Ontario and ask why can't the US do the same. We just moved into phase 2. No theme parks open yet. Patios only are allowed as well as all retail. Our cases have been under 200 for a few weeks now. Again I ask why can't that be followed in the US.
My state hasn't seen the surge and our restaurants are closed so AGAIN I ASK why do other countries think it's okay to assume all of the US is doing this? I didn't blame the entirety of Europe for Sweden's failed "herd immunity" tactic

At this point I think opening its going to do more harm then good. It is obvious that many people are canceling their trips. Disney may loose more money trying to open then just staying closed at this time.

As for the Florida economy I think what needs to happen is they need to get the virus under control before they can invite tourists to come. The government in Florida seems not to understand that you need to make it safe for people to visit or they will not come. If they keep on this course it will hurt their tourism even more.

No way would I go to WDW right now. While Disney will try their best, I don’t have faith that all of their customers will adhere to the guidelines. These folks are going into a hot zone and will just take it back home with them, spreading it even further around the country. Disney needs to hold off opening until Florida can get its **** together.

I think Disney has good protocols in place for opening the parks. It will probably be pretty safe. But the optics of opening the park right are terrible.
I don't think it matters. We've had daily larger gathering protests for the last 4 weeks and nobody has shut that down or spoken up on that. We might as well have Disney open and have some fun, not like it's going to make a difference.

Florida's deaths per capita are one-tenth what New York's are. FL has a much lower infection rate per capita than NY, NJ, MD, PA, MA, IL, and several other states. My home county has a much higher infection rate per capita and more deaths per capita than FL.

Florida's cases per capita is right at the national average, and deaths per capita is less than half the national average.

Measured by cases or deaths per capita, Florida is safer than Iowa.

I don't think it matters. We've had daily larger gathering protests for the last 4 weeks and nobody has shut that down or spoken up on that. We might as well have Disney open and have some fun, not like it's going to make a difference.

I'm not sure which state you are in, but I am also in one that has had over a month of nightly protests/sometime riots and we are not seeing anywhere near the spike Florida is. Other large cities with protests are also not seeing the spike Florida is. This is why no one is blaming the spread on the protests - opening up theme parks, restaurants, bars etc with no mask policy in place however does appear to make a difference.

Florida's deaths per capita are one-tenth what New York's are. FL has a much lower infection rate per capita than NY, NJ, MD, PA, MA, IL, and several other states. My home county has a much higher infection rate per capita and more deaths per capita than FL.

Florida's cases per capita is right at the national average, and deaths per capita is less than half the national average.

Florida is just now going into the spike.

We don't know what will happen. The age demographics are different (younger avg) so fatality rate's likely play out the differently, but spread won't flatten naturally. Without intervention it'll grow exponentially and unfortunately become harder to avoid by the older or compromised.

If spread is not curtailed to manageable levels, 2 things are very possible. Infection will reach more vulnerable people. Hospitals will get overwhelmed which significantly increases the chances of patients dying. The care to patient ratio suffers and there is not enough time to catch crashing patients. That was seen in NYC.

Mortality rates are watched during outbreaks to get an idea if things are improving regionally or not. They cannot be used to compare how safe different regions are mid-pandemic. No area has even met the midway point yet either.

It's not just mortality rates, there's more and more cases of long term damage to the lungs and overal respitory system. The damage this is doing/will do will last for decades.

We are going to WDW in August, it is safer there with mandated mask enforcement than what it has been here....

will it be enforce though? if so-how?

i live in a state where masks are mandatory. in order for a bsns on private property (like wdw) to enforce they would have to call in local law enforcement and press charges on a personal basis. that means a bsns has to be willing and able to have enough security personnel to deal with each and every 'offender', and then take them into their custody to then call in local law enforcement who can choose to or not to press charges.

i strongly suspect that given that orange county florida is being foolish enough to open the parks and other attractions despite their viral numbers-they have no desire nor intent to support the apprehension or prosecution of money spending tourists who opt not to wear masks. likewise-disney does not want any bad p.r. for calling in local p.d. nor do they want to get an initial opening reputation for a wealth of security (it does not read 'we are just being overly safe asking you to wear a mask' if there are waves of disney 'storm troopers' arresting violating guest).

something 'mandated' is only effective if enforced. unless/until wdw enforces safety precautions they are an unproven risk.

Reading through these posts are just ridiculous. Why pass judgment on people who are going to the parks *responsibly*, following all rules and guidelines, and taking the necessary precautions? There’s literally no way that you COULDN’T follow the rules at Disney- they are rules for a reason and they are/will be enforced.

If YOU feel unsafe going, then don’t go. No one is forcing you. But that’s a PERSONAL choice. Just like deciding to go is because you do feel safe enough to do so. All these hypotheticals, “grandma” things, they’re all for one reason- to make people feel bad about doing something that is inherently *not* wrong. The parks are open because it was deemed safe to do so. The precautions are in place for a reason. Take your judgment somewhere else if you come here to make people feel bad because you wanna feel a little bit better about yourself. If they decide to delay the reopening (which I doubt), then those going on a trip in July may not have a choice. But until then, let people make their own decisions without calling them stupid or selfish, when they are nothing of the sort.

🤪
Incorrect interpretation of data.

I take it that you haven’t seen what the daily, 3-day and 7-day MA of cases and deaths are recently between FL and IA.

My state hasn't seen the surge and our restaurants are closed so AGAIN I ASK why do other countries think it's okay to assume all of the US is doing this? I didn't blame the entirety of Europe for Sweden's failed "herd immunity" tactic
From a European point of view, this is because all the states in the United States are 1 country to us. It's almost impossible for us to understand that in one country there are different laws and procedures in different states. If one state fails, in our eyes the entire country fails.

Eventhough many European countries are united in the European Union, to many here, this is only on paper for some trade laws etc. There are very few people saying 'I consider myself European'.

(These are all broad generalizations)

Of course with a country as big as the US, you need to have some tailored approaches, but it's beyond my comprehension that in one country there are no guidelines on when to reopen and when to close again if needed. Everyone decides for themselves and interprets the medical experts' information as he sees fit.

Sorry, I think that may be a Dutch perspective. In Germany, like in Canada, and in the US, every state is responsible for setting it's own restrictions. Even Merkel was a bit annoyed when the state leaders ignored the set guidelines and started to reopen quicker than she wanted. Now the states are discussing removing mask requirements in more states.
https://www.welt.de/wirtschaft/arti...a-oder-nein-Diese-Frage-spaltet-das-Land.htmlSo the federal vs state system is not anything usual to Germans. It's in our Basic Law that states have control. "Except as otherwise provided or permitted by this Basic Law, the exercise of state powers and the discharge of state functions is a matter for the Länder."

Reading through these posts are just ridiculous. Why pass judgment on people who are going to the parks *responsibly*, following all rules and guidelines, and taking the necessary precautions? There’s literally no way that you COULDN’T follow the rules at Disney- they are rules for a reason and they are/will be enforced.

If YOU feel unsafe going, then don’t go. No one is forcing you. But that’s a PERSONAL choice. Just like deciding to go is because you do feel safe enough to do so. All these hypotheticals, “grandma” things, they’re all for one reason- to make people feel bad about doing something that is inherently *not* wrong. The parks are open because it was deemed safe to do so. The precautions are in place for a reason. Take your judgment somewhere else if you come here to make people feel bad because you wanna feel a little bit better about yourself. If they decide to delay the reopening (which I doubt), then those going on a trip in July may not have a choice. But until then, let people make their own decisions without calling them stupid or selfish, when they are nothing of the sort.
Because many of our leaders are not being wise. Just because the government tells me it's safe doesn't mean it is so. (Water in Flint as just one example.) Because it is harmful. It will spread disease. Going somewhere unnecessary like a theme park makes it harder to do more necessary things like going to grocery store. Please, please people what you do affects others. Don't go...for your loved ones if not for yourself.

There’s literally no way that you COULDN’T follow the rules at Disney

if there's a way to break a rule the odds are someone will try to break it. off the top of my head i recall people sharing ideas on how to put lifts in their children's shoes to break the height requirement rules-stupid and dangerous but people have still done it. many rules at disney have been instituted specifically because prior rules were abused and broken by guests-notably a recent lawsuit that was settled in disney's favor,

"...Before 2013, Guests with disabilities that make waiting in line for attractions nearly impossible, such as autism, were able to experience unrestricted “front-of-line” status. However, this freedom was found to be the subject of reported abuse, even to the point of Guests allegedly hiring people with disabilities or terminally-ill children so they can cut the line and ride attractions as much as they wanted...".

24% of our state's current cases are ages 20-29.
Yep, out at bars shoulder to shoulder or protests also. That age group thinks they are invincible! :( Heck they can't be bothered to put on a mask to save a life...It may ruin their makeup or they might not like how they look in a mask!:P

will it be enforce though? if so-how?

i live in a state where masks are mandatory. in order for a bsns on private property (like wdw) to enforce they would have to call in local law enforcement and press charges on a personal basis. that means a bsns has to be willing and able to have enough security personnel to deal with each and every 'offender', and then take them into their custody to then call in local law enforcement who can choose to or not to press charges.

i strongly suspect that given that orange county florida is being foolish enough to open the parks and other attractions despite their viral numbers-they have no desire nor intent to support the apprehension or prosecution of money spending tourists who opt not to wear masks. likewise-disney does not want any bad p.r. for calling in local p.d. nor do they want to get an initial opening reputation for a wealth of security (it does not read 'we are just being overly safe asking you to wear a mask' if there are waves of disney 'storm troopers' arresting violating guest).

something 'mandated' is only effective if enforced. unless/until wdw enforces safety precautions they are an unproven risk.
You are correct that there is no way to enforce correct mask wearing 100% if the time anywhere ( Disney or elsewhere.)It needs to be an individual choice of if you feel confident enough to take the risk to go. I was simply stating in our case, given my DH job exposure here in Tampa we are just as likely to get covid from one of the million people visiting our beaches/ tourism here as we are at wdw. At least was is making an attempt of mask enforcement. I understand if you are outside of the wd w area, the exposure level at home for you may not be comparable to a wdw trip.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter