• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW Rides and Motion Sickness

shelbel95

Mouseketeer
How would you put these rides in order for how intense they would be for someone with motion sickness, from least intense (starting with Barnstormer, I would assume) to most intense:

Barnstormer (MK)
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (MK)
Space Mountain (MK)
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (MK)
Expedition Everest (AK)
Primeval Whirl (AK)
Rocking Roller Coaster (HS)
Tower of Terror (HS)
Test track (E)
Mission Space (E)

Last trip, I did barnstormer, tower of terror, and mine train. I did ok for the first 2 but got sick after mine train....but I hadn’t taken any dramamine or ginger pills, which I plan to take this time. Just trying to decide which ones I go for and which ones I skip

I’m prone to motion sickness, and won’t ride Primeval Whirl or Mission Space Orange for that reason (and the green side is a little iffy, but I can get through it if I take deep breaths and stare at the screen).

I haven’t ridden Barnstormer (no interest) or ToT (don’t like dropping).

Of the remainder of your list, EE caused mild motion sickness. Space Mountain is a really rough ride - it’s more jarring than motion-sickness inducing though.

I had no issues on the rest of the rides. 7 Dwarves is very tame (that’s the one I’d rate as lowest risk for motion sickness) and RnRC is super smooth. Those are my 2 favorite coasters at Disney. Big Thunder isn’t smooth, but I don’t have motion sickness issues from it.

ETA: I forgot to address Test Track. But no motion sickness there either. I’d put that one in the same category with 7 Dwarves.

(And for the record, the ride that I’ll never go on again is Star Tours. I thought I was going to lose my lunch after that one.)

Last edited:
Barnstormer (Best)
Big Thunder Mountain
Tower of Terror
Test Track
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
Expedition Everest
Space Mountain
Rockin Roller Coaster
Primeval Whirl
Mission Space (Worst)
This is my personal ranking but if you're prone to motion sickness, do not go on Star Tours or Flights of Passage (seriously don't). :) I'm not even prone to motion sickness but I definitely felt a little dizzy after going on Flights of Passage.

Last edited:
How would you put these rides in order for how intense they would be for someone with motion sickness, from least intense (starting with Barnstormer, I would assume) to most intense:

Barnstormer (MK)
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train (MK)
Space Mountain (MK)
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad (MK)
Expedition Everest (AK)
Primeval Whirl (AK)
Rocking Roller Coaster (HS)
Tower of Terror (HS)
Test track (E)
Mission Space (E)

Last trip, I did barnstormer, tower of terror, and mine train. I did ok for the first 2 but got sick after mine train....but I hadn’t taken any dramamine or ginger pills, which I plan to take this time. Just trying to decide which ones I go for and which ones I skip

Barnstormer: Not bad for motion sickness at all. If you do ride with to people in one seat it will feel like you are going to fall out at all times.
Seven Dwarfs: Super smooth, non-issue with Dramamine.
Big Thunder: very jarring, still minimal motion sickness
Everest: LITERALLY the smoothest ride in Orlando.
Whirl: literal hell
Rocking Roller Coaster: omg no
Terror: haven't been on it, my aunt was fine tho
Test rack: its a non-issue even without Dramamine. You would think so since its a car ride but its so short you don't get the affects.
Space: DO NOT GO ON ORANGE! THERE ISNT ENOUGH DRAMAMINE IN THE WORLD

Test track did me in!!! Guess everyone is different but I felt awful after dinosaur, Everest and test track. I went on flight but i knew better and kept my eyes closed the entire time. I didn’t take my bonine which was my choice Bc I don’t like how I feel in the heat with it and when I have a drink or two.

Thanks everyone. This is good feedback. And it’s interesting how the rides affect people differently. I’ve done Star Tours and Soarin and was fine without taking anything. Our first day, we have fast passes for Big Thunder Mountain Railroad....I think that might be a good one to check if the Dramamine and ginger pills work. It’s earlyish I’m the morning, so I’ll have time to recover if not.

We have fast passes for FOP, so I will definitely be doing that one. Just thinking I won’t be able to do Everest, Space Mtn, or Rockin Roller Coaster. Scared to try 7 dwarfs mine train again...I threw up a couple times afterwards (but hadn’t taken anything). But if Big Thunder goes well, I may try it. Hmm

Has anyone ever tried something other than Dramamine/Bonine? I used a patch on a cruise a couple of years ago when I was forced to go. It helped, but my mouth was dry the entire trip and that was not pleasant. I felt very dehydrated.

Has anyone ever tried something other than Dramamine/Bonine? I used a patch on a cruise a couple of years ago when I was forced to go. It helped, but my mouth was dry the entire trip and that was not pleasant. I felt very dehydrated.

Liquid drops (placed behind each ear) via Motioneaze does wonders.

When I first started going on cruises, I would take ginger pills and I always thought that helped. The only thing I didn’t like was that about half an hour after taking it, I would have a ginger burp bleh. I ordered some ginger gum to bring to the parks, too. It’s made by sea band. I’ve never had it, but figured it couldn’t hurt to try it

The only one of these that makes me particularly motion sick is ToT if I haven't eaten in a long while. To be fair, I suppose I am much more affected by screen rides rather than actual motion. Star Tours is my hell. Soarin' can be bad if I'm not sitting in the right spot (when I am sitting in B, its my favorite ride). I haven't ridden FOP yet, so jury is still out. Everything at Universal with a screen kills me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter