WDW ride planning

Nala83

Mouseketeer
After many happy trips to DLR, I've decided to fly across the country to see how Florida does Disney. I know many of you have experienced both parks, so I'm hoping you can help me out!

Which rides at WDW are exact duplicates of a DLR ride? In other words, what can I skip (knowing that I'll be back at DLR soon)?

Thanks!

HydroGuy wrote a thread called "WDW for DLR vets." It's a good place to start. I know other guides/webiste have similar lists.

My experience was that anything is a "movie", i.e. Soarin', Star Tours, etc. will be the same. The rides and even the lines have their own character. For example, I think TSM in WDW is exactly the same rides, but the indoor line there is a great theming. Same with It's Tough to Be a Bug movie -- at AK it's in the base of the giant Tree of Life.

PHXscuba

Thanks- these are helpful. It sounds like there isn't much that I can skip. I want to see it all! (Must be realistic and prioritize, I know...)

I think there is a lot of fun in trying rides at both locations....however if time was tight I would skip:
Tiki room
Snow White
Star Tours
Buzz Lightyear
Muppets 3 d
Honey I shrunk the audience

Yes - they ruined the Tiki Room in florida - it's "under new mgmt".
Don't skip Tower of Terror - I think theirs is much better!
Their Buzz is older - the guns are connected to the vehicle, so not as fun - but the inside is a bit different. So it depends on how fanactical you are!
I skipped TSM due to time but really wanted to see the queue.
There's a very nice Walt Disney tribute in Hollywood Studios near TSM -don't miss it if you're a fan.

I've skipped Fantasmic because ours is supposed to be better, but if I had time I'd do it just to see the difference.
Don't miss the water parks - they're the best.
Basically I'd spend more time at the non-Magic Kingdom parks - MK is not as nice as DL imho. They do have Carousel of Progress and Country Bears, so it's good for those of us who miss them. Also the Haunted Mansion is quite a bit different - as is Thunder Mtn, and Splash differs somewhat too, so I'd include those.
10 days was not enough time for us last summer. It's so big!!

Do your homework on rides the two places share. In some cases, it's worth checking both out just to see and experiences the differences. Splash Mountain, Space Mountain, and Big Thunder fit this. If pressed for time, you really can skip almost all of the MK. I spent half a day there last May and that was plenty. Whatever you do, do not skip Mickey's PhilharMagic.

In other cases, two similar rides are equally good experiences such as the Haunted Mansion. And there are cases where one ride is vastly superior than the other such as Pirates of the Carribean. I'm not sure it was worth waiting the less than 5 minutes I had to wait to ride it in the MK. Fantasyland in general is far superior at Disneyland. MK is mostly boxes housing the ride, while Disneyland has the elaborate building facades and more rides. Hopefully the expansion will strengthen MK's Fantasyland, but that's not complete for a few more years.

Star Tours has a different queue experience in each resort, but the ride itself is the same. Tower of Terror is better at WDW. DCA's is fine, but WDW's is better. Only ride Soarin' if you're like me and you miss seeing Sleeping Beauty Castle. Toy Story Midway Mania has a different queue. It's definitely worth checking out, but do not get a FastPass for it because it skips the queue. Both queues have their strengths. DCA's seems generic, but it's actually extremely well themed to a midway and actually teaches you how to play the games before you there. DHS is themed to Andy's bedroom. Very fun and cool. I like both queues for different reasons.

I hadn't even thought of the queues being different! I'm definitely going to need to visit Toy Story to check out the queue (and while I'm there I'll need to hop on). It looks like I can skip most of the movies, which works well since I'm not fond of most of them. I may need to visit Soarin' if I miss "my" castle. Otherwise I'll save that for DCA.

Soarin' is insanely popular over at Epcot with FastPasses disappearing sometimes by early afternoon. They're often gone by noon for Toy Story Midway Mania, but unless you really want to ride it, I'd skip FP for it because it bypasses the queue entirely. And while the ride is great, the only reason for a regular DLR guest to check it out is the queue.

I've talked with people who thought WDW was rather run of the mill. In just about every case, they are frequent visitors to Disneyland who spent most, if not all, of their WDW time in the MK and missed out on the different experiences that WDW has.

I'm hoping to do just one day at MK so I have extra time at the other parks. I would never dream of doing DL in just one day, so we'll see!

While the MK takes up more land than Disneyland does, it has fewer attractions than Disneyland. IMO, the MK is a two day park only if you want to do everything and then only because it takes a lot longer to walk around the place. If you focus on the unique and/or different in a good way attractions only, you can experience the MK (including parades and fireworks if you want) in a day or less.

While Space Mountain and the TTA were closed during my visit last May, I still did everything I wanted to in the MK in less than a day. And some of those attractions are ones I will skip next time because the Disneyland version is far superior. I do recommend the queue for Tiki Room Under New Management, but skip the show itself.

Fantasmic is a must on our lists when we go. There is amphitheather style seating. Make sure your in line an hour before the show and be prepared to stay put. Also might want to sit up 15 or so rows from stage because if the wind is blowing you will get wet from the mist of the water screens. Went to the web and found this picture. It is shows about 60% of the seating capacity.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/oldpatterns/3345897614/sizes/s/

Other must sees are Nemo and Lion King shows in Animal Kingdom. Epcot's Illuminations just be sure to check wind direction here too or you will have ssmoke from the fireworks wafting toward you.

Better at WDW:

Splash Mountain - Love the seating arrangement better and the ride just seems to be longer and more elaborate. My favorite ride in all of the disney parks.

Big Thunder - again along the same lines. Seems like the dips and curves are bit stronger/faster and the que in my opinion is great especially at night.

It's been four years since I've been to WDW (we went three years in a row to DL) and now this summer were going back. Should be interesting. I haven't seen the Nemo Ride at Epcot or the Finding Nemo play at AK. I also haven't seen the Music, Magic, and Mayhem Fireworks display so that will be interesting.

We're going to WDW in a month and plan on riding everything, even though a specific attraction might not be as good as DL. We want to experience it to just see what the difference is. Plus.....I'm SO excited to rider the People Mover at WDW.

Better at WDW:

Splash Mountain - Love the seating arrangement better and the ride just seems to be longer and more elaborate. My favorite ride in all of the disney parks.

Big Thunder - again along the same lines. Seems like the dips and curves are bit stronger/faster and the que in my opinion is great especially at night.

It's been four years since I've been to WDW (we went three years in a row to DL) and now this summer were going back. Should be interesting. I haven't seen the Nemo Ride at Epcot or the Finding Nemo play at AK. I also haven't seen the Music, Magic, and Mayhem Fireworks display so that will be interesting.

Interesting ~ I prefer DL Splash, I like the look of the animals *Brer Rabbit* and the sound of the animals more @ DL, guess it's what I'm familiar with.

The Nemo ride is OK ~ better than the subs, but I can't stand the subs. The Nemo show is fabulous!

We're going to WDW in a month and plan on riding everything, even though a specific attraction might not be as good as DL. We want to experience it to just see what the difference is. Plus.....I'm SO excited to rider the People Mover at WDW.

I too love the people mover!! (Now called TTA, or Tomorrowland Transit Authority - lame) It is one thing I will miss a lot at DL this year. Also don't miss the Carousel of Progress. You'll be singing "It'a a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" longer than It's a Small World. :rotfl:

Everyone has their own opinions. Here's mine:

We usually spend little time in MK since we go to DLR alot (and it's so much better) We spend most of our time at AK and EPCOT.

Personally I think ToT at DCA is better but I would still do the one at DHS (it is different)

POC so much better at DLR but also worth checking out at MK (if the line is short)

Fantasmic-much better at DLR.

Soarin'-until they change it (if they do) it's exactly the same at DCA and EPCOT . This is one line you can skip IMHO

Small World-different at MK, much better at DL.

I think the Tiki Room at MK is better than at DL. I'm a little tired of the DL version.

Space Mountain-different-worth riding both versions.

Star Tours-same once you get on the ride.

As some PP have stated we are usually fine with 1/2 day or so at MK. We do the rides the DLR doesn't offer. We really enjoy the waterparks and usually spend 2 days there. Last year we did 3 days. So cool!

Also, we don't spend a whole lot of time at DHS either. We do ToT & RR mostly. DHS does have some great shows. B & B, Indy (not the ride, the show), LMA etc. I could probably never go back on the Studio Backlot Tour and be a happy girl! :laughing:

Oh, and the Muppet Movie at DHS is the same as the one at DCA.

HTH

Don't skip Expedition Everest and Kilimanjaro Safaris at Animal Kingdom! Expedition Everest is my favorite ride at WDW. Don't skip Aerosmith's Rock N' Rollercoaster either!

The lines are mostly different because they are covered or indoors. It rains in Florida anyday it wants, it's a strange day in LA when it rains.

EPCOT skip soarin and Nemo and friends if it has a line? The sub ride in DL is several times better.

DHS skip Muppet Vision and maybe TSM, the lines like DCA are long.

MK skip buzz, tommorowland speedway is half an Autopia, probably the astro orbiter, Peterpan flight, Dumbo, Carousel, Snow white, Winnie the Pooh, Small world maybe if you have kids maybe not all these. The fireworks is ok, but I like DL much better.

MK for nastagia revisit Swiss Family Treehouse, Country bear Jamboree and Tom Sawyer Island

AK maybe skip It's a bugs life, though the que under the tree is great.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter