WDW Knee Bending???

Michelle T.

Earning My Ears
Hi all! I am so grateful to have found this forum with so much info!
We will be going to WDW but my youngest (teen) cannot bend her knee to 90 degrees. She has CRPS and is in constant pain and bending it worsens the pain.
Is there a list of rides anywhere that says how much bending is needed for each ride? Or if she could possibly stretch her leg out a little on some rides? She's not into coasters or Tower of Terror, and she'll be using a motorized something (still trying to decide what would be easiest for her) around the parks.

Thanks.

:welcome:
Post #31 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread pinned near the top of the main disABILITIES Forum has info that should help. There is also another recent thread on this topic.

I'm moving this to the main forum for trip planning.

Enjoy your vacation!

Hi all! I am so grateful to have found this forum with so much info!
We will be going to WDW but my youngest (teen) cannot bend her knee to 90 degrees. She has CRPS and is in constant pain and bending it worsens the pain.
Is there a list of rides anywhere that says how much bending is needed for each ride? Or if she could possibly stretch her leg out a little on some rides? She's not into coasters or Tower of Terror, and she'll be using a motorized something (still trying to decide what would be easiest for her) around the parks.

Thanks.

if she is under 18 she may NOT rent( or drive) an ECV on site. off site, only if she owns/uses one daily at home.

many of the rides are very tight quarters and knees will be bent 90 degrees or more. rides with bench seating, if the CM is okay with losing 3-4 more spaces to load riders, may be okay as long as the safety bar can fully descend.

I have a knee replacement and have about a 100 degree bend and have long legs. The rides that I have the most trouble with are splash mountain, toy story midway mania, and I think spaceship earth. My best advice would be for her to always try to sit on the side of the ride vehicle so that she can cross the bad leg over towards the center. That always gives me a smidge more leg room to work with.

Also, ask the CM at boarding to put you in the row/location with the most leg room. For me, the first row of Pooh and the first row of Small World were issues because the foot area is limited by the rounded shape of the front of the vehicle. I'd have been much better off in the second row with more rectangular foot space.

I can do Test Track, but have to sit in the middle seat where I can stretch my legs out. IaSW is difficult as the seats are so low. I actually find it less painful in the back row as the seat iself seems to tilt back a bit, therefore giving a bit more leg room for me. The front row, which has the bow, is actually worse for me and I can be in a lot of pain before we're halfway round. I have arthritis and my knees can go beyond 90°, but as I have large calves there isn't the room to take my legs further without cutting off circulation. I'm fine with most other rides, though. I wouldn't be able to do Space Mountai (even if I wanted to) because it's too low down.

I have a knee replacement and have about a 100 degree bend and have long legs. The rides that I have the most trouble with are splash mountain, toy story midway mania, and I think spaceship earth. My best advice would be for her to always try to sit on the side of the ride vehicle so that she can cross the bad leg over towards the center. That always gives me a smidge more leg room to work with.

Thank you. That does help. 100 degrees is a little over her maximum bend, but that's also her maximum pain threshhold. I am planning on calling the disabilities number tomorrow to ask if they have any further suggestions or can help in giving her extra room on the rides.

I can do Test Track, but have to sit in the middle seat where I can stretch my legs out. IaSW is difficult as the seats are so low. I actually find it less painful in the back row as the seat iself seems to tilt back a bit, therefore giving a bit more leg room for me. The front row, which has the bow, is actually worse for me and I can be in a lot of pain before we're halfway round. I have arthritis and my knees can go beyond 90°, but as I have large calves there isn't the room to take my legs further without cutting off circulation. I'm fine with most other rides, though. I wouldn't be able to do Space Mountai (even if I wanted to) because it's too low down.

Thank you for your insight. She would be upset to miss IaSW, so I really appreciate your info!

Also, ask the CM at boarding to put you in the row/location with the most leg room. For me, the first row of Pooh and the first row of Small World were issues because the foot area is limited by the rounded shape of the front of the vehicle. I'd have been much better off in the second row with more rectangular foot space.

Thank you that is a good idea, too. We just wanted to go in knowing where she would be comfortable and not be disappointed not to get to ride something after standing in line or using up a fast pass.

:welcome:
Post #31 of the disABILITIES FAQs thread pinned near the top of the main disABILITIES Forum has info that should help. There is also another recent thread on this topic.

I'm moving this to the main forum for trip planning.

Enjoy your vacation!

Thank you for your advice, but her leg won't be completely straight. She can bend it, just not comfortably past 110 degrees or so and has long legs (longer than mine).

@Michelle T. - IaSW has a "wheelchair boat" - if she can get down there to the loading zone, just let the CM's know that she has to use the HA boat, and they will provide a wheelchair to transfer on to that boat. So, there's one (tiny) problem off your list! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter