WDW for Couples - Post your questions and suggestions here!!!

Hi, new to the DIS Forum we are couple that is going to Disney World for our first time, without our children, they are all grown now and this will be our first trip, we will be staying at OKW and have Halloween ticket for Halloween Night., Do you have to wear costume to get in? Also what are some of he things you as couples like to do? All other times it was what the kids wanted to do? A new world for us in Disney World. Thanks.

Very exciting to hear about a couple trip. I'll be going on my first couple trip this Oct. For the Halloween party you do not have to dress up. It is the only time adults can dress up like their favorite characters without being asked to change. There are people who don't dress up. When I went last year, my dad wore his haunted mansion shirt and my mom wore a disney Halloween shirt while my DS(25) and I (24) dressed up.

I'm very excited for my couple trip, I feel like it will be a lot more relaxing because it's just the two of us! I hope you have a great trip.

~October 18-26, 2014~

So this is my first time trying to reply on my phone... So I'll see how this goes!! (If it doesn't work I'll fix it tomorrow.)

I think we could create a distinction when creating threads. Ex: WDW for couples: what are the most romantic hotels? WDW for couples: what are the most romantic restaurants? But to aswer you questions... Best hotels: Coronado Springs got the most wonderful sunset and offers beautiful views at night, Polynesian Resort (terrible now while refurbishments) has torches on all paths and flowers everywhere, Animal Kingdom Lodge has the most exotic feel. French Quarter is a pretty romantic resort too, a bit "low key", though. Best restaurants: Be our guest is breathtaking for dinner.

I love the idea of the threads like that! Maybe make them polls too! Allow people to vote! So maybe a most romantic moderate thread and most romantic deluxe thread?

And thank you for your suggestions! CSR and French Quarter are on our list for the moderate part of the stay and we are thinking Poly (the construction worries me though... But maybe it would be done by next May), GF, or Yacht/Beach Club for the Deluxe... But honestly all of them sound so amazing that it is going to be so hard to decide!

Be Our Guest sounds lovely! Thank you for the suggestion! Any ideas for dining at the hotels? (I've heard good things about ohana but not sure how romantic it would be.)

My boyfriend and I just got back from a 7-night stay at the Yacht Club and we thought it was very "adult-friendly!" Our balcony was super romantic form private time in the mornings and earl evenings, but when we wanted to act like kids again, the pool was a blast. The proximity to Epcot is great for getting drinks in a country (or two or three or four haha)! I hope you all have as much fun as we did!

Thank you so much for the suggestion! The yacht and beach club are definitely on the list!!! We will definitely need some "kid at heart" time at the pool too so that sounds ideal! :-D

If it is too hard to choose, you can always go for split stays.

You can also switch resorts according to your plans. ex: stay at the Polynesian when you plan on visiting MK, and stay at the Yacht Club when you plan on visiting Epcot and Hollywood Studios. You'd have to book two different reservations but sometimes it's worth all the trouble.

If it is too hard to choose, you can always go for split stays.

You can also switch resorts according to your plans. ex: stay at the Polynesian when you plan on visiting MK, and stay at the Yacht Club when you plan on visiting Epcot and Hollywood Studios. You'd have to book two different reservations but sometimes it's worth all the trouble.

We are definitely doing a split stay! Thinking one of the Moderates and one of the Deluxes! Right now we've narrowed it down to CSR or one of the Port Orleans ones and then the Deluxes are kind of intimidating GF, BC, YC, and the Poly all sound amazing!

My wife and I have been going alone since 1998. Probably 12 or more times alone only 5 trips with kids between 1994 and 1997. On longer trips of 12 days we book CA Grill as bookends to our trip, once early, once the last night.

We spend most of our time in EPCOT, though we may spend one morning or evening in another parks. We don't ride much, maybe average 1 ride per day or less. We just enjoy strolling the World Showcase (especially in the evenings) and she likes to shop. While she shops I people watch or take photos (of the same things each year <vbg>).

A real favorite is... Every morning that we go to EPCOT (which is nearly every morning) we get there before WS opens, we will grab an iced mocha or iced latte, find a piece of shade and watch the WS come to life.

Our favorite restaurants and fast food are...

CA Grill
Marrakesh
Tokyo Dining
The Yakatori House (or whatever it's called now)
France is OK if we get a window to people watch
Tangerine Cafe
Olivia's for arrival night dinner

Quite a variety...

We noticed immediately a difference when we were there alone vs with kids. It was even not the same last year when we took our grown son and his wife. Maybe sometimes meet and strike up a conversation with other solo couples.

This December will be our first trip as retired folks.

Andy

We have been over 50 times. Our most memorable times have been unplanned but for newbies I would definitely suggest not overplanning. Last trip we spent 3 hours on the beach in front of the Beach Club drinking beer and wine in to go cups from the general store. Just watched the boats come and go and the sunset. We have watched Wishes from the swings on the Poly beach with a dole whip.......countless hours in the hammocks at CSR. We love both the indoor and outdoor firepits at AKL with a tray of Zebra Domes .....a relaxing boat ride from any of the dtd resorts or around Bay Lake......a Margarita or ice cream sundae from Ghiradelli while watching the performance on the stage at DTD.........so many great lou nges. My point is to leave some free time to enjoy all that Disney has to offer outside the parks. Let's face it, since you are the one on this website, chances are you are more obsessed than your partner.Most adults do not want to go to the parks from open to close every day....My husband did not enjoy our Disney trips until I stopped the commando touring (or at least lightened up a bit) and now he enjoys our adult trips more than I do! Seriously, he made a 180 degree turn when I started to leave lots of time for relaxation. So many more tips for adults. I'll post more as I think of them.

My wife and I have been going alone since 1998. Probably 12 or more times alone only 5 trips with kids between 1994 and 1997. On longer trips of 12 days we book CA Grill as bookends to our trip, once early, once the last night.

We spend most of our time in EPCOT, though we may spend one morning or evening in another parks. We don't ride much, maybe average 1 ride per day or less. We just enjoy strolling the World Showcase (especially in the evenings) and she likes to shop. While she shops I people watch or take photos (of the same things each year <vbg>).

A real favorite is... Every morning that we go to EPCOT (which is nearly every morning) we get there before WS opens, we will grab an iced mocha or iced latte, find a piece of shade and watch the WS come to life.

Our favorite restaurants and fast food are...

CA Grill
Marrakesh
Tokyo Dining
The Yakatori House (or whatever it's called now)
France is OK if we get a window to people watch
Tangerine Cafe
Olivia's for arrival night dinner

Quite a variety...

We noticed immediately a difference when we were there alone vs with kids. It was even not the same last year when we took our grown son and his wife. Maybe sometimes meet and strike up a conversation with other solo couples.

This December will be our first trip as retired folks.

Andy

sounds like us! I may have talked to you on a bench by the rose and crown one night. :lmao:

olivias for breakfast is a must do for us. in our old age, we are venturing out of what our dd calls "the retirement community" of okw. :lmao: so we are spending 10 nights in a one bedroom at the beach club for our 30th anniversary. we also spend a lot of time at epcot and figured we would give the international gateway a try. narcoossee , le cellier, bier garten and tepen edo are also some of our favorites.we like to try them all.
people ask me if im going to work there when I retire. my answer is no way. I have a few benches in mind in the mk and epcot that you will find me on. I can sit for hours and just enjoy the sights, smells and sounds.
we have been doing the early june trip with dd and the September trip with just us for years. now,it looks like it dw and I in june and September.:)
its been a great ride from the 8 year old to the 19 year old honeymoon , the new dad to listening to my 6 year old dd sitting in the hub on day eating ice cream telling me she was going to work here some day to 14 years later that dream coming true of working in the hub to the empty nesters.
maybe see you some day on a bench andy!!!!!
(are you by chance a big guy, shaved head and works for the government who dd was a cp a few years ago?)

.. snip

its been a great ride from the 8 year old to the 19 year old honeymoon , the new dad to listening to my 6 year old dd sitting in the hub on day eating ice cream telling me she was going to work here some day to 14 years later that dream coming true of working in the hub to the empty nesters.

maybe see you some day on a bench andy!!!!!
(are you by chance a big guy, shaved head and works for the government who dd was a cp a few years ago?)

What is "The hub to the empty nesters?"

Yep, I hope to see you on a bench in EPCOT someday, BTW, I am a big guy but I still have hair and never worked for the government. But I'll visit on a bench anyway..

Andy D

What is "The hub to the empty nesters?"

Yep, I hope to see you on a bench in EPCOT someday, BTW, I am a big guy but I still have hair and never worked for the government. But I'll visit on a bench anyway..

Andy D

it was: from working in the hub ..... to... being empty nesters.
my lap top buttons don't work as easy as my computer at work. :rotfl:

I am so happy to have found this thread. Here is a little backstory.

On May 25th 2013 my DH and I took a spontaneous surprise 3-day trip to Walt Disney World and stayed at the Grand Floridian. He proposed to me that night at a wonderful dinner at the Yachtsmen Steakhouse.

We were seated by the windows looking out at the pool/deck. The servers brought out this beautiful tray with a hidden mickey pillow. On it was a princess crown and 2 corsages... a wrist and pin.

Jump to Dec 23-28 (Our very own Disney-moon)

I will have to write up a trip report, and post the millions of pictures here.

Being a Disney couple is just as important as bringing a family. So far my husband and I have been to Disneyworld together 3 times.

Each time we try and plan something unique and different.

This October we will be back for the food and wine fest and I CANNOT wait.

We have plans to do the lunch with an imaginer. So my question is... has anyone in this group done this yet? If so what kind of questions did you ask? What about Disney interests you.

Every time I talk to cast members I learn something new. But I would love to go in with one question I know I want to ask. And I am not sure what that question is this time around.

Any thoughts?

My husband and I have been married for 2 years and we are starting to think about having children. (He wants them yesterday LOL) He has never been to Disney so one of my requirements was that we go before we start trying because once you have children you have to wait until they are old enough to enjoy it and I'm not willing to wait 5/6 more years at this point! We are going in September and I can't wait. I have tried to make the trip as painless as possible for him (hence the non-peak time of our travel) so he will be excited about going back! I think/hope couples trip to Disney is a great idea!

Oh this is exactly our reasoning for going now! We're also going in Sept. Super excited!
Hubby whines about babies and I always say, "after Disney!" Not many rides to go on pregnant. Lol.

Going on our 5th trip in Sept. This will be our 3rd Halloween Party. Any special moments we may not know about for the party? Since it's just my husband and I, we don't leave resort till about 10am and stay out till 3a. We use the pools at 3a, it's a great way to relax and there's very few people out. Romantic and a special moment for staring into each other's eyes after a long hot busy day. Keeping romantic moments for just the 2 of us is what I look forward to most.

When we stayed at BLT in October and SSR/BLT in December the pools closed at 11 pm. The MBs would not work to open the gate. The lifeguards said they always were closed but now that they were fenced in they were enforcing the hours by not letting anyone swipe in. You may not want to count on moonlight swims, didn't want you to be disappointed. (We never knew they closed either).

Every time I talk to cast members I learn something new. But I would love to go in with one question I know I want to ask. And I am not sure what that question is this time around. Any thoughts?

On my trips I love talking to the cast members, well my dad usually does but it's still fun. He would usually joke around and ask when does the 3 o'clock parade start? One cast member tricked him and asked where he will be standing cause then he could give a time.

We would try to quiz them on Disney knowledge or make a comment about where they were from, especially if they were from MD or PA. It's always fun wearing our favorite teams shirts or jerseys, always a conversation starter, and with our group we would plan on that day so there would be at least 5-8 jerseys.

Not sure if this was helpful but I hope you have a great trip!!

On my trips I love talking to the cast members, well my dad usually does but it's still fun. He would usually joke around and ask when does the 3 o'clock parade start? One cast member tricked him and asked where he will be standing cause then he could give a time.

We would try to quiz them on Disney knowledge or make a comment about where they were from, especially if they were from MD or PA. It's always fun wearing our favorite teams shirts or jerseys, always a conversation starter, and with our group we would plan on that day so there would be at least 5-8 jerseys.

Not sure if this was helpful but I hope you have a great trip!!

one of "those guest" :lmao: :thumbsup2 I have a new respect for the cms. this September will be my 60th trip over 41 years starting when I was seven years old and I can tell you I had no idea how much crap they take and take it with a smile. it takes a special person to pin one of those name tags on.
your dad is doing a great job!!!!! tell him to keep it up!!!!!!:thumbsup2
look for the college program kids. most of them have there college name under there name. ask them how there doing, where's home? a lot of them are far from home, some for the first time, some working the first job they ever had and a lot of them get home sick. yes, you think how can you be home sick in the happiest place on earth? they do. believe it or not, it is a stressful job. my dd name tag had her home town on it and she loved when someone would say, hay!!! I know where that is!!!!
give them a smile or a high five back. most of them are there living a life long dream. most do it for the satisfaction of making someone happy. it sure isn't for the money.:lmao:
my dd worked a lot in the hub. some of the questions, why is the castle roof blue? whats that wire for? where's the exit? (only one way in and out and the person said, no, I didn't come in that way. :lmao:) what is #22 on the map? she worked there eight months and could tell you stories for hours. :lmao:
she cried the day i dropped her off for the program and cried the day she came home. her room is all decorated in her Disney program stuff.
if you don't know, if you work for Disney, don't matter if you are a vp or a dishwasher, you go through a training program called traditions. after you go through traditions, you get your name tag. i will give you one guess who gives you your name tag. yup, cried again. :lmao:
when she was little, we were sitting on a bench near the hub. she said to me, daddy, im gonna work here one day. who would of ever guessed 15 years later.
i know a lot of people always wonder what they can do or if the cm finds out but
if there is ever a cm who you feel really did a great job or made your day or vacation, stop in at the guest relations in the park the cm works at.(city hall in the mk) tell the guest relation person the cms name and what happened and you would like to fill out a four key card. they cm will hear about it and it will make them happy. these cards also go into there file and the more cards, the better it looks if they are up for a raise, promotion or another role. my dd got 14 of them. most roles the cm can be fired for taking any kind of tips and pending on what you hand them could be taken as a "tip".

here is a question to ask......... if you see a cm with a name tag of "chris " and they are from Orlando, ask them if there name is really chris. :lmao: you will find there are a lot of chris from Orlando working there. :lmao:

one of "those guest" :lmao: :thumbsup2 I have a new respect for the cms. this September will be my 60th trip over 41 years starting when I was seven years old and I can tell you I had no idea how much crap they take and take it with a smile. it takes a special person to pin one of those name tags on. your dad is doing a great job!!!!! tell him to keep it up!!!!!!:thumbsup2 look for the college program kids. most of them have there college name under there name. ask them how there doing, where's home? a lot of them are far from home, some for the first time, some working the first job they ever had and a lot of them get home sick. yes, you think how can you be home sick in the happiest place on earth? they do. believe it or not, it is a stressful job. my dd name tag had her home town on it and she loved when someone would say, hay!!! I know where that is!!!! give them a smile or a high five back. most of them are there living a life long dream. most do it for the satisfaction of making someone happy. it sure isn't for the money.:lmao: my dd worked a lot in the hub. some of the questions, why is the castle roof blue? whats that wire for? where's the exit? (only one way in and out and the person said, no, I didn't come in that way. :lmao:) what is #22 on the map? she worked there eight months and could tell you stories for hours. :lmao: she cried the day i dropped her off for the program and cried the day she came home. her room is all decorated in her Disney program stuff. if you don't know, if you work for Disney, don't matter if you are a vp or a dishwasher, you go through a training program called traditions. after you go through traditions, you get your name tag. i will give you one guess who gives you your name tag. yup, cried again. :lmao: when she was little, we were sitting on a bench near the hub. she said to me, daddy, im gonna work here one day. who would of ever guessed 15 years later. i know a lot of people always wonder what they can do or if the cm finds out but if there is ever a cm who you feel really did a great job or made your day or vacation, stop in at the guest relations in the park the cm works at.(city hall in the mk) tell the guest relation person the cms name and what happened and you would like to fill out a four key card. they cm will hear about it and it will make them happy. these cards also go into there file and the more cards, the better it looks if they are up for a raise, promotion or another role. my dd got 14 of them. most roles the cm can be fired for taking any kind of tips and pending on what you hand them could be taken as a "tip". here is a question to ask......... if you see a cm with a name tag of "chris " and they are from Orlando, ask them if there name is really chris. :lmao: you will find there are a lot of chris from Orlando working there. :lmao:

I'll be sure to look out for the college kids! And thanks about the Chris from Orlando! I'll be sure to look out. I'm sure I'll see them everywhere now!

I know about putting on a smile so I try to be as nice to cm as possible. While we are on vacation they are there to work. Always try to make their day better even tho they are there for us!

I'm a bit late in finding this thread but I'm glad to see something for us kids at heart! My hubbie and I are kid-less (universe said no) but have 2 very spoiled cats and a huge collection of close family and friends so we don't get too lonely! :ccat:

We first explored DW on our honeymoon and fell in love. We went back on our 10th anniversary for 10 days, and am now plotting to spend a full 20 days there for our 20th in 2016. Mwahahaha! Let the mischief commence!

Life's been a bit rough and we've been using our Disney planning as a way to keep from letting life get to us. An old dear and very close friend offered us the use of his timeshare points and laughed in our faces when we asked what limits we had. He then made a point to tell us outright that if he can book it through his travel agent, then we can do it. I also got scolded for even asking. Something about us needing some time off alone. :hug: We've decided to listen and go all out this time and spoil ourselves rotten.

So we're thinking a split stay between 2 or 3 resorts, a decent meal plan, and exploring a lot of what Disney has to offer. The spas and Cirque look very tempting! Then again, I might just see how many times I can do the Haunted Mansion before my hubbie pulls me off. ;) :figment:

I also heard a rumor that on leap years Disney has done special events to celebrate in the past. Anybody know anything about that? :pixiedust:

I know it seems like a long while off, but is anyone else headed that way February of 2016? It'd be nice to occasionally run into other couples minus kids.

Jasperkitty

Oh, is it ok for cast members to accept thank you cards? And how do you thank someone who works at a resort or some place other than the parks?

Has anyone done Cinderella's Royal Table as a couple? What was it like?

DH and I are changing plans for our final night, after reports Le Cellier has taken the dish we both wanted off the menu... so I've decided to spend our final evening in MK. We've currently got a 7pm reservation for CRT that I was able to grab this morning... (We also have a slightly late California Grill reservation on hold too, but I'm leaning towards CRT as the tip is included in the dining plan, and it means not needing and leave the park AND getting to go into Cinderella Castle! :) ).

I'm not sure if I'm too late (I didn't look at the date on when you asked before hitting respond-- oops!).

My DH and I have done this. We had a 9pm-ish (it's been a few years) reservation, purposely made that late so we could experience more of an "adult" dinner. I was surprised that there were still young children there. It was fun to meet Cinderella before dinner, and then get escorted up like we were actual royal guests. The food was a lot better than I thought it would be, and the service was pretty good. The princesses going between tables for photos was fun, even for adults. Wishes went off at its usual time, and we were just getting to dessert. You could see the lit up sky in the stained glass, but not necessarily the fireworks in great detail-- still an awesome experience, although with your ressies a little earlier, I'm not sure you'll get that experience. We had an absolute blast and between the photos, wishing stars, magic wand/sword, and good meal, it was worth every penny.

The only thing we'd change is not doing a monorail pub crawl before going in. I was a bit concerned that my inappropriate husband might offend Cinderella or Ariel, but he behaved.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter