• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW, DL and DCL!!! Part 2 DL

wendym

I work to go to Disney!
Players
Me, Wendy 35 year old High School Biology Teacher
Mum, Doreen, 72 year old going through her second childhood!
Well this was our usual summer extravaganza! I save all year to spend a month in the US and usually spend some time in either WDW or Disneyland. For the past 5 years we have also done a DCL cruise. So with the Magic moving to the West Coast for the 50th celebrations we decided to do all 3! Well I decided to do all 3 – mum just says yes – I pay and she drives so it a perfect arrangement.
I’ve split this report into the three parts but will link them at the end. Be warned they are long!

Saturday 16th July
A very early start. I had loaded most of the cases into the trunk the night before but still had the last ones to go in – did these in my PJ’s before having a shower and waking mum. We were on the road by 4.15am and checked in by 7am. We got wonderful exit seats and so it was a very comfortable flight and we arrived early. After getting our luggage we went to the shuttle area to wait for our shuttle. For some reason whoever we book with we always do a tour of the suburbs. Prime Time was no different but we were in Anaheim by 11am. We checked into the Carousel – our favourite hotel there, if there is no line at security it takes 10 mins from our room to the park – but as expected our room wasn’t ready. We went to Mimi’s and had breakfast and Mum went back to the hotel to wait but I went exploring. I walked around Downtown Disney, picked up our guided tour tickets, my $20 voucher from ESPN and had a drink at Whitewater snacks – I always forget about the Territory lounge at the Grand Californian.
Retrieved mum and our room was ready. After a very quick swim and nap we got ready for the Laughing Place meet. We went to one in 2003 and had such fun I hoped to make this year’s one. Well I think I was one of the first to big the dinner and I am so glad we did. We made our way to the Disneyland Hotel again congratulating ourselves for not being able to stay here – honestly the walk from it is longer from our hotel! The usual uncomfortable minutes while you know nobody but soon familiar faces came to say hallo. The time passed very quickly and we were soon making our way to the venue. Here I got totally confused as I thought we were going the wrong way – in the time we had been away the numbers had grown so much that the had to change the venue! Thank goodness we were following others!
The meal was wonderful and we had the pleasure of not only sitting next to a wonderful group of LPers but also Margaret Kerry who was the original model for Tinker Bell – what an inspiration she is. We had a quiz but I didn’t win it this time. The dessert was fantastic! A chocolate mouse in the shape of the Golden Mickey ears. Then we moved upstairs for the Golden Doobie awards. We also heard the voice of Pinocchio, Dickie Jones, the voice of Goofy, Bill Farmer, Terri Harden who designed some of the Tinker Bell merchandise and of course Margaret Kerry. We got back to the room about 12.3Oam. quite a few went immediately to stand in line!

Sunday 17th July
Happy 50th Birthday Disneyland!
Well we got up early and watched the news and saw that everybody was getting free golden ears at the park! We were in line by 7.30am and had a great family behind us to chat too. It took us an hour to get through security and that was the longest line we had all day. We were in the park by 8.45am, got the free golden ears, the souvenir guidebook with the original opening day map – the cast members couldn’t be nicer and even said we could go from park to park and come back – this I found hard to believe but it was true! We soaked up the atmosphere and made our plans. We wanted to see the opening ceremony so I left mum in as good a spot as we could get and I went to get the free cupcakes – our nutritious breakfast! – and a drink. Time passed quickly and they had loads of stuff on the jumbo trons. I spent time speaking to an adorable baby who had the most amazing eye lashes. At just after 10 the celebration started. Bob Eiger, Michael Eisner (who did wear the golden ears this time) and Art Linklater led them. It was also Art’s 93rd birthday and although he was led down in a wheelchair he walked onto the stage unaided. He spoke for quite a while. Arnold
Schwarzenegger also made a speech and was presented with a golden motorcycle, which he is going to donate to raise money for Californian after school programmes. Diane Disney Millar then spoke and was presented with a special photo of her father walking up to the castle on Opening Day – neither she, her sister or her mother had been at the opening day – Walt had told them that he had enough to worry about without worrying about them! Doves were released as were fireworks.
We then went to grab a bite to eat. We shared a fruit platter at the Bengal barbeque stand after I got fast passes for Indiana Jones. Then we did Pirates and I went to get some fast passes. We really didn’t expect to do any rides but it really wasn’t as crowded as expected. Also a lot of people were in queues for merchandise. We heard later there were rumours that they limited attendance to 50000 and they only closed the park for a short while at 12. We soaked up the atmosphere and then went to the Blue Bayou – I was lucky enough to get a reservation here, as there was a 2-hour wait!!! I had the Monte Cristo (deep fried ham and cheese french toast) and mum had the blackened chicken Caesar salad. We wanted to share a dessert but it took ages for the waiter to come and then he brought out more cup cakes! However we eventually ordered a molten chocolate soufflé and had the cup cakes to go. When we looked at the bill later they didn’t charge for the soufflé.
We did Indianna Jones then Splash Mountain and got absolutely soaked! We also managed to do Buzz Light year and see the original opening ceremony before we went back to the hotel. We had a quick nap and then went back for the fireworks. They were absolutely spectacular. We had thoughts of staying for the last showing of Fantasmic but after fighting the crowds to do Pirates we called it a day. We finished the evening off with McDonalds.

Monday 18th July
I think today was busier than yesterday! We were there quite early and did Alice in Wonderland before splitting up. Mum did It’s a Small World and Snow white while I did Matterhorn Bobsleds and Space Mountain (loved the new soundtrack!), we did meet up earlier than planned which was handy as I had just bought a Dole Whip and there was no way I could have finished it all. We took the motorcar to the front of the park and then the train round the park. After doing Buzz together we went to Mimi’s for lunch – I had a wonderful Thai chicken wrap and we shared a honey bran muffin. We went back for a nap to prepare for the Guided tour we were doing. This tour was excellent. It is especially for the 50th birthday and goes through each of the decades – this tour does 3 rides and gets reserved seats for the fireworks, it was this seating I booked the tour for. There were 20 in the group. We started off with getting our photo taken in front of the park and then seeing the 50th film – really good and I loved the interaction between Steve Marti and Donald Duck. Then we walked to the Jungle Cruise to speak about that – that was the ride from 1955 - 1965. Then we did Pirates of the Caribbean looking for some hidden Mickey’s – 1965 – 1975. Then I did Big Thunder (1975 –1985), mum sat this one out so I rode with the tour guide Krista – it was nice to have some company as I normally have to do it myself. Because of the crowds we just discussed Splash Mountain (1985 – 1995) near Big Thunder before going to Tomorrow land. The last ride was Buzz (1995 – 2005). We took a vote and decided to get the train to Main Street rather than walking through the crowds. When we got to Main Street there were seats set up with a Tinker Bell box underneath. In this was a bottle of water, snow-white apple, crisps and a cookie. Then we got a copy of the photo, an e ticket book, pamphlets and a special pin of the lamp that shines in Walt’s apartment – it lights up. We both really enjoyed this tour and the view of the fireworks was unbelievable – well worth the money. We again went to McDonalds before calling it a night.

Tuesday 19th July
We were over at California Adventure (DCA) by 9.30am and it worked out perfectly as they let us in and we were in the second group to do Soarin. By the time we got to Tower of Terror the opening crowds had gone, we got fast passes and then did Tower of Terror twice. It was certainly different from Florida and I was so glad the cast member saw mum had a stick, as there are lifts up a lot of stairs!!! We got to avoid those. The first time we did it we had to change lifts three times as it kept breaking down on us! We then went to do talk with Crush, which was as good as in Orlando. We shared some grapes and a frozen banana and stood in line for Aladdin – we both loved it again. By this time we were ready for lunch so we went to the Wine Country Trattoria – because we didn’t have a reservation we had to wait about 30 mins but it made us hungrier. Mum had minestrone soup and a Tuscan salad and I had the caprese sub and we both had a glass of wine. While Mum did Golden Dreams I did California Screamin 3 times using their single rider line and even got to go in the front row! This was the second ride that had accidents after I had ridden it though – in Orlando, Tower of Terror was shut down after an English girl suffered an aneurysm and then a couple of days ago California Screamin was shut down until Nov when two trains collided.
For some reason we were still hungry so we shared a Steam'n Chocolate ice cream sundae. Mum went back to the hotel and I went to ESPN to see if cooler was in – still not in. I took the monorail to Disneyland and then went for a very quick swim.
We went back to DCA at night and used our fast passes for Soaring and spoke to some lovely little girls and their mum. Then we did Tower of Terror in the dark and saw some of the fireworks. I left Mum to hopefully get a glass of wine but they had closed down but I did Screamin twice in the dark – awesome! We took a slow walk through the World of Disney and then went to ESPN to use our free $20 voucher. We split a BBQ pulled pork sandwich and a wonderful walnut, blue cheese and apple salad. We took the monorail to Disneyland and whilst Mum went back to the hotel I stayed on for the last hour. I did Snow White, Peter Pan and even Dumbo and got some photos of the special golden vehicles. It was nice that the park was slightly quieter.

Wednesday 20th July
I was at DL by 8.15am. I did the Haunted Mansion and saw the floating Leota, Big thunder twice with no wait, Indy and Roger Rabbit. I then stopped for a quick breakfast of French toast and bacon. Before heading back to the hotel I went to see the 50th movie again – there was so much in it that I could watch it many times.
Back in time for a shower and then we went downstairs to wait for Barbara and Jim. This was truly a highlight getting to meet up with them again. They were staying with their son, Tim and daughter in law, Chrissy. What fun we had. They took us to see Laguna Beach, which is gorgeous. We had a walk around then had a great lunch at Greeters corner. We strolled around the art galleries and even saw the one that supplied the furniture for my favourite sitcom (My Two Dads) Sherwood Gallery. Then we went back to Tim and Chrissy’s gorgeous home. Although I had never met Tim and Chrissy I really felt I knew them through all my emails with Barbara. I truly value our friendship. Unfortunately the day had to end and Tim and Barbara took us back to our hotel.
We went to Disneyland and watched the Parade of Dreams. Then went to see the 50th Movie. We went on the Storybook Land Canals – always so much better in the dark. Then we watched the fireworks from Fantasyland – got amazing view of Tinker Bell. We then headed out and went to eat at Mimi’s.

Thursday 21st July
I wanted to do early entry so was in Disneyland before 8am. I managed to Space Mountain, Indianna Jones, Pirates and the Tiki Room before meeting mum at the World of Disney store at 10am. I even had time to buy some great skull beads for Pirates night on the ship. We were doing the character breakfast at Storytellers Café in the Grand Californian this morning. I had bought vouchers before leaving and they were a great deal. Our server understood them perfectly and suggested we order drinks like cappuccinos and grapefruit juice. He also made us order both pancakes and Mickey waffles – honestly we would only have ordered one!!!
The buffet had the most gorgeous fruit and the eggs benedict was good. The characters had great fun and the restaurant was lovely. We thoroughly enjoyed this breakfast. We then went to the DCL desk for them to check our tickets and they kindly wrote our cabin number etc on our luggage labels, as we didn’t have a sharpie to do it. Then we went to see Charlie and the Chocolate Factory at Downtown Disney. They actually sold us tickets for the showing that had already started but they let us see the next one. We thoroughly enjoyed this and thought Johnny Depp was amazing. We took the Monorail to Disneyland but as it was so hot we headed straight into Innoventions. As well as seeing the Segway we also got to meet ASIMO - Advanced Step in Innovative Mobility – the worlds most advanced humanoid robot.
http://world.honda.com/news/2005/c050601b.html
http://world.honda.com/ASIMO/
After a drink – it was so hot today that practically everywhere had run out of bottled water we went across to DCA to watch the Block Party Bash – how they were able to dance in that heat I don’t know but boy it was fun!
We rested a bit before heading to the Disneyland Hotel for a character dinner at Goofy’s Kitchen – we also had vouchers, which had only cost us £14 (approx $24) so they were an amazing deal! We enjoyed this meal but there were lots of kids out of their seats hounding the characters.
We managed to get back in time to DL for the fireworks and I stayed back to do Fantasmic. I also did Haunted Mansion – stood in front of a gentleman whose ancestors came from Aberdeen. Then I did Big thunder, Pinocchio, Matterhorn and Mr Toad all before 12!

Friday 22nd July
I was at DCA by 9.45am and did Soarin with a wonderful set of 4 boys and their grandparents. Then I did Tower of Terror twice and got fast passes for later. I did the Golden Dreams tour and then did the Boudin Bread tour.
I met Mum back at the hotel (this was the day our room wasn’t cleaned until 4pm) – she had done some laundry. We had lunch at Mimi’s – I had the Blue Cheese and Walnut Salad but horrors they were temporarily out of honey bran muffins! The way the server announced it I thought there was something really wrong although they are good! Instead we took a coffeecake one to go and ate it at the port the next day.
I went back to DL and did a tour of the Disney Gallery. Then I had yoghurt at Clarabelles in Toontown and all of a sudden Pluto came out of a door next to me! I also saw Snow White’s Musical Adventure.
I went back for a much-needed shower and then we both went to DCA. I did Screamin whilst Mum did Golden Dreams – a really weird guy sat not far from her and the next day at the port he was next to us still in the same clothes. And one night in the cinema on board he was behind me in the same clothes! We had a nice dinner at Ariel’s Grotto although they kept apologising about the wait. The dessert came with a churro – my first of this trip and the bill came with candyfloss! Whilst mum lingered over coffee I went back to do Screamin in the dark – maybe not a good idea on a full stomach but it was fun! We made our way to Tower of Terror whilst watching the parade – the fireworks would normally have begun but there was no sign. Turns out first they were delayed and then cancelled so it was lucky we didn’t go across to see them. Something special about doing Terror in the dark and we even managed to do it twice.
I went across to Dl and did Indianna Jones as my last ride before heading back to the hotel and final packing.

WDW http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=883802

DCL cruise http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=883815

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter