• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
delmar411 said:
I just wanted to update that again when we went to renew YDD's DAS that we were asked why she needed the accommodations. This is prior to the CM even looking at the card or looking her up in the system. And she only had 3 slots filled in on the back for the 2 weeks so still not an overuse of the card.

Maybe because she looks just fine they feel the need to ask but having to re qualify every 2 weeks isn't how it is supposed to work and I really try to not discuss her issues in front of her because she gets upset. She's to the point that she knows people judge her for her behavior but unfortunately that doesn't cure the issues. I guess it is time to write up a note about her needs and just bring it with me when we renew her card.

And we didn't need everyone with us, they just asked if we were still a party of 6 and that was that. So that seems to be a YMMV thing.

Boy, talk about inconsistencies! It seems like the only thing that is guaranteed is to not know what to expect! One person can't get one for a party larger than 4 without everyone being there and another person has no problem getting one for 6 with out anyone being with them! It's a bit ridiculous IMHO....it's going on 6 weeks now

Boy, talk about inconsistencies! It seems like the only thing that is guaranteed is to not know what to expect! One person can't get one for a party larger than 4 without everyone being there and another person has no problem getting one for 6 with out anyone being with them! It's a bit ridiculous IMHO....it's going on 6 weeks now

I thought the official rule was that over 6 required the full party present but anything less didn't require it.

I've seen a few reports otherwise, but most seem to support that.

Boy, talk about inconsistencies! It seems like the only thing that is guaranteed is to not know what to expect!

I think they might be doing this on purpose, to keep people honest. If you don't know what is needed to get the DAS, less chance of fraud?

I think they might be doing this on purpose, to keep people honest. If you don't know what is needed to get the DAS, less chance of fraud?

The people out to get a DAS fraudulently can lie with a straight face. Basically, it's just like getting a GAC and they got those cards with no problem.

But that was a renewal. Maybe they all had to be present the first time. ???

But that was a renewal. Maybe they all had to be present the first time. ???

No, we didn't. In fact I was clear with them that I normally come to the parks with just the 3 little kids but sometimes my teen and DH come with us so we would only have 4 people for the most part. They set it as 6 so we keep it as 6.

With a DAS you go to the attraction and get a return time. For example it is now 11am, return time is 12:30. You return at 12:30 and then have to wait another 30 minutes on the ramp (wheelchair accessible line)?

It is good to have this sort of info. I am lucky that my son CAN walk in some lines, and I will now pick the ones like Small World. Pirates is hard for him to walk on, being dark and sort of uneven, but he might be able to do it.

So I've only tried to get a DAS at Epcot once and have been less than interested in even trying (which means we don't do any rides) since then.

I have conditions that make it difficult to do stairs (especially when there are a lot of people around not being especially mindful) and also standing still on slanted/tilted floors causes a great amount of pain. When we went to Epcot I was told to rent a wheelchair.

We are locals and go to the parks a few times a week.... no way can I rent a wheelchair every time we stop in for an evening.

Have others had better experiences? Or is this just the canned answer I can expect from now on?

It was renewal of DAS time. This time we went to GS outside of MK. There were no questions asked once again. We needed his increased from 3 to 5 people this time. The cm told me to get it renewed in the park next time. I should have asked why. Perhaps it was because of how long the queue was outside? I don't know, I'm just drawing straws as to the why. But we will oblige.

Once again, there were only two rides ridden using the DAS in those two weeks. However, yesterday was the perfect park day at 73 degrees. DS was at his best and able to stay 5 hours. He rode 3 rides using DAS and 1 using a FP.

So I've only tried to get a DAS at Epcot once and have been less than interested in even trying (which means we don't do any rides) since then. I have conditions that make it difficult to do stairs (especially when there are a lot of people around not being especially mindful) and also standing still on slanted/tilted floors causes a great amount of pain. When we went to Epcot I was told to rent a wheelchair. We are locals and go to the parks a few times a week.... no way can I rent a wheelchair every time we stop in for an evening. Have others had better experiences? Or is this just the canned answer I can expect from now on?

This may not be the answer you are looking for, but have you considered purchasing your own wheelchair? There are many inexpensive ones, and then you could have it whenever you need it, not just at Disney.

Using a wheelchair or ECV is Disney's pat answer to anyone whose needs appear to be purely mobility related. It sounds like your needs would be met by using a wheelchair or ECV.

You do not need to sit in it the entire time. You can park it in stroller parking if you want and go get it as you need it.

Other than the expense, is there a reason you don't want to use one?

Except when I am alone with an 8 year old and a 6 year old who is supposed to push the stupid wheelchair?

And no... I would never use it any other time that comes to mind.

Frankly I don't need a wheelchair or ECV... I couldn't even get it in and out of the car on my own.

Since the new system I just haven't ridden any rides at WDW at all... Busch Gardens, Sea World and Universal have been much more accommodating and never asked me to get a wheelchair.

If a wheelchair will not work for you, a rollator would be another option (essentially a walker that has a seat built into it, which would allow you to sit in lines and also serve as a visual signal to CMs that you need to avoid the stairs). Your kids would not have to push you in that, and it would give you a place to sit anywhere in the park that you might get stuck standing.

Frankly, the issues you describe are mobility related, and Disney's accommodation for mobility-related needs is to suggest a wheelchair or other a mobility device. A DAS is not designed for mobility needs, nor will it be given out when those are the only needs that need accommodation. If you choose not to make use of other available accommodations, that is your choice, but Disney will not provide alternate arrangements simply because you do not want to use the ones available to you.

So I've only tried to get a DAS at Epcot once and have been less than interested in even trying (which means we don't do any rides) since then.

I have conditions that make it difficult to do stairs (especially when there are a lot of people around not being especially mindful) and also standing still on slanted/tilted floors causes a great amount of pain. When we went to Epcot I was told to rent a wheelchair.

We are locals and go to the parks a few times a week.... no way can I rent a wheelchair every time we stop in for an evening.

Have others had better experiences? Or is this just the canned answer I can expect from now on?

A DAS will not provide a stair or ramp free entrance to an attraction therefore a DAS won't help what you just described. If the queue has stairs or a ramp that you can't use then ask at the entrance to the attraction if there's a way to get to the attraction without a ramp or stairs. They used to give a GAC indicating that you couldn't use stairs but now I believe people are being told to just ask about an accessible entrance at the entrance to the attraction.

Not wanting to use a mobility device is not something that Disney considers to be a reason for needing a DAS. If you have a need that can NOT be met using a mobility device then you have to explain that to Guest Relations.

Except when I am alone with an 8 year old and a 6 year old who is supposed to push the stupid wheelchair? And no... I would never use it any other time that comes to mind. Frankly I don't need a wheelchair or ECV... I couldn't even get it in and out of the car on my own. Since the new system I just haven't ridden any rides at WDW at all... Busch Gardens, Sea World and Universal have been much more accommodating and never asked me to get a wheelchair.

You stated in your original post that you need to avoid stairs and can't stand in line. Most lines move slowly enough that you could self propel the chair, even using your feet if that is an option for you.

When not in line and thus not needing the chair, you could always push it. You could use it to hold your bags or even let the kids take a break and ride for a bit.

If you don't want to use the chair because of pride, think of it as any other tool. You would never not use eyeglasses if you needed them.

I find it absolutely ridiculous for me to BUY or RENT a wheelchair I very literally do not need.

We will likely just have to let our annual passes go... or mine anyway and the kids can go when the husband can take them.

Movement is best for my condition and sitting in a wheelchair isn't going to make it better or even be helpful and could worsen my condition.... my major problems are as I said... I can't go up and down stairs (especially in crowds where people are rude and pushy) and I can't stand still on an incline (Space Mountain, Soarin, It's a Small World, Space Ship Earth... plus I'm sure many I'm no thinking of off hand).

Until my passes expire I guess I will just keep trying to explain to CM at each ride why I can't stand in the queues and 90% of the time end up not riding because they just shrug and offer zero suggestions.

Not really a huge deal I guess... there are a million other ways to spend my money in Central Florida we just loved Disney so much.

I find it absolutely ridiculous for me to BUY or RENT a wheelchair I very literally do not need.

We will likely just have to let our annual passes go... or mine anyway and the kids can go when the husband can take them.

Movement is best for my condition and sitting in a wheelchair isn't going to make it better or even be helpful and could worsen my condition.... my major problems are as I said... I can't go up and down stairs (especially in crowds where people are rude and pushy) and I can't stand still on an incline (Space Mountain, Soarin, It's a Small World, Space Ship Earth... plus I'm sure many I'm no thinking of off hand).

Until my passes expire I guess I will just keep trying to explain to CM at each ride why I can't stand in the queues and 90% of the time end up not riding because they just shrug and offer zero suggestions.

Not really a huge deal I guess... there are a million other ways to spend my money in Central Florida we just loved Disney so much.

Sorry you feel that way but I am sure Disney won't mind to refund your ap for the unused part. They have done that with other guests their thing you can do with out das. At each attraction that has stairs which is not that many is talk to the cm and explain you can't do stairs. They supposd to help you and they will accommodate you. You can use fast pass and hopefully that line won't be so long. Once fast pass plus come to aps you be able to plan it better. So their are thing that you can do without needing the das. I know with the gac it was used like a unlimited fast pass so the wait was less. And with the gac they always suggested a wheelchair for mobility and stamina issues so that not new.

Sorry you feel that way but I am sure Disney won't mind to refund your ap for the unused part. They have done that with other guests their thing you can do with out das. At each attraction that has stairs which is not that many is talk to the cm and explain you can't do stairs. They supposd to help you and they will accommodate you. You can use fast pass and hopefully that line won't be so long. Once fast pass plus come to aps you be able to plan it better. So their are thing that you can do without needing the das. I know with the gac it was used like a unlimited fast pass so the wait was less. And with the gac they always suggested a wheelchair for mobility and stamina issues so that not new.

ReallY?! I, doubt it. I'd be pretty surprised.

Most of the times CM's recommend getting a FP however.... since we rarely are there early in the day that is 90% of the time not a viable option either. If we had the ability to add FP+ that would likely be the best solution for us... since we usually will go and only do one ride (maybe two) anyway.

They never, ever, ever suggested a wheelchair prior. I explained my needs and I got a pass that accommodated the specific needs... without having to explain at each attraction. Even when I was in a wheelchair for a while they still gave me the pass with my needed accommodations since I wasn't in it 100% of the time.

Like I said... I will do what I can until the pass expires. I was just wondering if this has been everyone's experience.

ReallY?! I, doubt it. I'd be pretty surprised.

Most of the times CM's recommend getting a FP however.... since we rarely are there early in the day that is 90% of the time not a viable option either. If we had the ability to add FP+ that would likely be the best solution for us... since we usually will go and only do one ride (maybe two) anyway.

They never, ever, ever suggested a wheelchair prior. I explained my needs and I got a pass that accommodated the specific needs... without having to explain at each attraction. Even when I was in a wheelchair for a while they still gave me the pass with my needed accommodations since I wasn't in it 100% of the time.

Like I said... I will do what I can until the pass expires. I was just wondering if this has been everyone's experience.

They have maybe not for you since try had a stamp but if it for mobility or stamina they supposed suggest a wheelchair.

You can always go and explain why and see what they will do or wait to it expires.

I got the Mickey monitor and it said in 2014 aps will get magic bands and fast pass plus.

Once you stay at a resort you be able to make fast pass plus with out a resort stay for ap.

For now you just need that one stay and your good or wait to aps get it on 2014. But I guess having to book a stay won't be something you want to do as you live in Florida.

With more people using fast pass I wonder if more fast passes are available later in the day.

They have maybe not for you since try had a stamp but if it for mobility or stamina they supposed suggest a wheelchair.

You can always go and explain why and see what they will do or wait to it expires.

I got the Mickey monitor and it said in 2014 aps will get magic bands and fast pass plus.

Once you stay at a resort you be able to make fast pass plus with out a resort stay for ap.

For now you just need that one stay and your good or wait to aps get it on 2014. But I guess having to book a stay won't be something you want to do as you live in Florida.

With more people using fast pass I wonder if more fast passes are available later in the day.

We stayed in October and still aren't able to make FP+ ~ maybe new since then? I do have Magic Bands but they told us they couldn't link our AP to them.

We stay often so we can use the resort pools and such.

We stayed in October and still aren't able to make FP+ ~ maybe new since then? I do have Magic Bands but they told us they couldn't link our AP to them.

We stay often so we can use the resort pools and such.

You should have linked your AP yourself. It is a link in your profile and just a few clicks and it is linked. I linked mind in July so it has worked since then. And you would of had continued access since your first magic band stay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter