• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

WDW -Disability Access Service (DAS) - ARCHIVED THREAD; no longer vslid

Status
Not open for further replies.
Epcot Touring Plan worked very well.

We arrived around 10. We got a 70 minute return time for Test Track. We had a snack, went to the restroom and rode Mission Space while waiting. After riding Test Track we headed over towards Soarin, stopping at Club Cool along the way.

I ran into the land for a Soarin return time. We had an 80 minute wait. While in the Land Building, I grabbed a FP for Living with the Land. DH waited outside the building with the kids. When I got back to them we rode Figment. Then we all headed to the Land where we ate lunch, rode Living with the Land and Soarin.

We squeezed a lot into 4 hours and were beat. As we approached the exit DS wanted to ride Space Ship Earth which had a 10 minute wait. The CM saw the DAS and directed us to the FP+ line.

It was a really good touring plan. DS had no interest in Nemo this time around, but we certainly could have fit that into our plan as well.

Epcot Touring Plan worked very well. We arrived around 10. We got a 70 minute return time for Test Track. We had a snack, went to the restroom and rode Mission Space while waiting. After riding Test Track we headed over towards Soarin, stopping at Club Cool along the way. I ran into the land for a Soarin return time. We had an 80 minute wait. While in the Land Building, I grabbed a FP for Living with the Land. DH waited outside the building with the kids. When I got back to them we rode Figment. Then we all headed to the Land where we ate lunch, rode Living with the Land and Soarin. We squeezed a lot into 4 hours and were beat. As we approached the exit DS wanted to ride Space Ship Earth which had a 10 minute wait. The CM saw the DAS and directed us to the FP+ line. It was a really good touring plan. DS had no interest in Nemo this time around, but we certainly could have fit that into our plan as well.

Thanks for sharing.

DHS...was the toughest park for the DAS.

We tried to get to rope drop, but it just wasn't meant to be. DS was up a 2 AM pacing and then fell back to sleep at 5. He woke again at 8, after eating breakfast, and some poor bus timing we got to DHS at around 930. By the time we got through bag check and the turnstiles, all the TSM FP we gone. Return time was 110 minutes. DH and my other DS wanted to ride TOT. My Autistic son wouldn't even go down that street due to fear of TOT.

I took him over to Star Wars side and grabbed FP for the whole family.

Now I have a return time 90 minutes away, a FP 30 minutes away, and a DS who is looking at TGMR which has a 25 minute wait, winding around outside the building. If it had been a 25 minute at a ride with less of a tight line he would have been ok. In this case he just wasn't. He started jumping and flapping. I had to pull him out of the line before he bumped people.

Here is were I'll admit a "poor me" moment. It was hot. He was flapping and jumping and upset about TGMR. I called DH, he was stuck in line for TOT which was posted as 30 minutes when he got into it but turned out to be 60 minutes. I started to cry. I collected myself and headed to first aid to get DS into a cool quiet room and a drink of water.

On our way out of first aide I stopped at Guest Services to give some feedback. While we were able to plan well for DAS touring in every other park, DHS just wasn't conducive to it. The family in front of me at GS was screaming at the CM because their son had a broken leg and couldn't stand in line. I felt really bad for the CM. She explained to them that they needed to rent a wheelchair. They got really nasty with her.

When it was my turn, I stayed, calm, spoke softly and never turned into "Grizzly Mom". The CM listened to my concerns, filled out some paper work, and gave me a few FP so DS could ride TGMR. I didn't ask for the FP, but the CM was very helpful.

I really think that I may wait until I am FP + eligible before I return to DHS.

To Mrzrich: Thank you for posting your successful and unsuccessful touring at Epcot and HS. It helps me envision what may or may not work for my family. I am sending you this :hug: because I have found myself in tears dealing with my DD's challenges and so I think I know what that was like for you. I would like to make a suggestion. I know the CM at GS in HS was understanding when you shared how the DAS did not work well for your son. I am not sure that those on-site reports make it "upstairs". If you can manage to, I think it would be a good idea to email or write Disney when you get home so that you can relate these things to someone who may be in a position to consider whether the problem is widespread enough to require further consideration. I just learned on another thread how wheelchairs users are sometimes waiting much longer than the standby time even though the are using the DAS system correctly. I hope folks are emailing & writing to make sure Disney is aware. I am afraid in-park CM's have their hands full and may not be able to fully pass along customer complaints.

We tried to get to rope drop, but it just wasn't meant to be. DS was up a 2 AM pacing and then fell back to sleep at 5. He woke again at 8, after eating breakfast, and some poor bus timing we got to DHS at around 930. By the time we got through bag check and the turnstiles, all the TSM FP we gone. Return time was 110 minutes. DH and my other DS wanted to ride TOT. My Autistic son wouldn't even go down that street due to fear of TOT.

Now I have a return time 90 minutes away, a FP 30 minutes away, and a DS who is looking at TGMR which has a 25 minute wait, winding around outside the building. If it had been a 25 minute at a ride with less of a tight line he would have been ok. In this case he just wasn't. He started jumping and flapping. I had to pull him out of the line before he bumped people.

Here is were I'll admit a "poor me" moment. It was hot. He was flapping and jumping and upset about TGMR. I called DH, he was stuck in line for TOT which was posted as 30 minutes when he got into it but turned out to be 60 minutes. I started to cry. I collected myself and headed to first aid to get DS into a cool quiet room and a drink of water.

On our way out of first aide I stopped at Guest Services to give some feedback. While we were able to plan well for DAS touring in every other park, DHS just wasn't conducive to it. The family in front of me at GS was screaming at the CM because their son had a broken leg and couldn't stand in line. I felt really bad for the CM. She explained to them that they needed to rent a wheelchair. They got really nasty with her.

When it was my turn, I stayed, calm, spoke softly and never turned into "Grizzly Mom". The CM listened to my concerns, filled out some paper work, and gave me a few FP so DS could ride TGMR. I didn't ask for the FP, but the CM was very helpful.

I would imagine that after the last person, you coming in and being polite may have gotten you even more assistance than you would normally have gotten. I know if I were in the CM's position, I would probably do something like that. Bottom line is you always catch more flies with honey than with vinegar.

I'm trying to figure out how getting to DHS late in the morning is related to any issues with the DAS? Which attraction did you have the DAS return time for?

I'm trying to figure out how getting to DHS late in the morning is related to any issues with the DAS? Which attraction did you have the DAS return time for?

By the time we made our way back to TSM it was about 10:30. The wait was 110 minutes. Our return time was 1205.

Been reading about the new updates about the KTTWK. So question about the fact they are not going to be giving out KTTWK anymore to resort guest and the cards they do give out can not be used in the FP kiosks. As I understand it they encourage DAS card users to also use both FP systems in addition to the DAS card to help with their touring. Anyone know what we can do so we can still get a KTTWK that can be used in the FP machines still or are we moving to not using the FP machines for the DAS card also?

Sue, I'm sorry I didn't get better pictures. Will try for better ones tonight.

I was trying to get a picture of the FP+ queue, stand by queue AND the little podium. Here is where you go to get the DAS time written and to return. Most of the queues are set up this way with a podium between the two lines.

Been reading about the new updates about the KTTWK. So question about the fact they are not going to be giving out KTTWK anymore to resort guest and the cards they do give out can not be used in the FP kiosks. As I understand it they encourage DAS card users to also use both FP systems in addition to the DAS card to help with their touring. Anyone know what we can do so we can still get a KTTWK that can be used in the FP machines still or are we moving to not using the FP machines for the DAS card also?

From what I've heard, Disney hasn't released any official information about what will happen.

From what I've heard, Disney hasn't released any official information about what will happen.

I wouldn't expect anything till after the new year before they remove the machines. They're still giving room keys out and will in the future because the use of a magic band is optional.

I wouldn't expect anything till after the new year before they remove the machines. They're still giving room keys out and will in the future because the use of a magic band is optional.

Apparently, October 27, something new is starting. Just haven't heard anything definitive.

By the time we made our way back to TSM it was about 10:30. The wait was 110 minutes. Our return time was 1205.

:hug: Sounds like you had a rough day. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. You are not alone though, I'm sure I'll be in tears too at some point in our trip too. I do think DAS would be VERY difficult without FP+ as an option and am very thankful that I will be able to use it in conjunction with the DAS. I think I've read that CM's are actually telling people that is how they are to be used so I can see your frustration. I am so not a good planner so I hope I can figure all this out. I guess we will try to get to DHS pretty early as we only have one day planned there.

:hug: Sounds like you had a rough day. Thanks so much for sharing your experience. You are not alone though, I'm sure I'll be in tears too at some point in our trip too. I do think DAS would be VERY difficult without FP+ as an option and am very thankful that I will be able to use it in conjunction with the DAS. I think I've read that CM's are actually telling people that is how they are to be used so I can see your frustration. I am so not a good planner so I hope I can figure all this out. I guess we will try to get to DHS pretty early as we only have one day planned there.

Not being FP + eligible was especially frustrating when paper FP were running out for TSM by 930AM and I am reading on the DIS about people booking same day FP+ at 2 in the afternoon for later that same day.

Paper FP for Rockin Roller coaster were out before noon the day we were there as well.

Not being FP + eligible was especially frustrating when paper FP were running out for TSM by 930AM and I am reading on the DIS about people booking same day FP+ at 2 in the afternoon for later that same day.

Paper FP for Rockin Roller coaster were out before noon the day we were there as well.

But fp was always ran out early in the morning for toy story to have to figure they give less out due to fast pass plus. But it always runs out early it a tough ride to get fast pass for unless go one of the first people their.

I have MS. I don't go around talking about it. Here is different because I'm not looking someone in the eye it is anonymous basically. Last trip by the end I was so exhausted and had so much leg pain. I walk I don't use a wheelchair. I am strong and suck up the pain. I also know this year I have gotten progressively worse. My day ends by 11 am because I am so tired and I 'm just dealing with the constant pain somewhere in my body(legs, back, arms-my new issue). I don't want a wheelchair at Disney. I am not mentally or emotionally ready to give up and sit in a chair-period. I was reading about the DAS at the beginning of this thread on the Disney website and on allears. I felt confident and good that this would be good for me. I could get a return time go sit on a bench let the family do what they want and then we could go on the ride together as a family with minimal impact on my family or my body. I thought this was going to be good. Now I've read multiple pages in this thread that have taken my positive outlook away. What if I don't get a DAS? Will they turn me away because someone doesn't understand my problem? I'm clear and concise and educated, I can advocate for myself but I never thought a CM would just say no. Is being rejected an isolated occurrence or is that something that could happen? Will I have to keep explaining over and over my needs with a DAS? I don't want to share with every CM my health history. I spend lots of my time on the sidelines watching my family instead of being included and I just want to have fun on my trip and be part of them. I just wanted vacation to be a time I can live my life and not watch my life go by. I would like to hear positive things on this thread about DAS not only the problems so I can see the overall experience to make a better judgment if DAS will be right for me.

Is that Guide for Guests with Disabilities printed or PDF only? If printed, you have to think they'll keep giving KTTW out for FP- access as long as FP- exists. Can you imagine throwing that many books away?

Is that Guide for Guests with Disabilities printed or PDF only? If printed, you have to think they'll keep giving KTTW out for FP- access as long as FP- exists. Can you imagine throwing that many books away?

Apparently the KTTW will be blocking guests from getting paper FP or FP- I wonder if that could be enabled with the DAS.

I have MS. I don't go around talking about it.
I have MS too. It's a lousy disease. The first time I ever asked for a GAC, it was suggested that I rent a wheelchair. I had used the word fatigue. Fatigue is really common in MS but it sounds like a stamina/endurance issue that can be solved by a wheelchair. You have to be able to describe any other issues related to the MS that are not stamina/endurance related. Once you get a DAS, you won't have to explain anything at the rides, only the one time at Guest Services, but it's highly likely that they will say no if all you ask for is because of the mobility issues.

I have MS. I don't go around talking about it. Here is different because I'm not looking someone in the eye it is anonymous basically. Last trip by the end I was so exhausted and had so much leg pain. I walk I don't use a wheelchair. I am strong and suck up the pain. I also know this year I have gotten progressively worse. My day ends by 11 am because I am so tired and I 'm just dealing with the constant pain somewhere in my body(legs, back, arms-my new issue). I don't want a wheelchair at Disney. I am not mentally or emotionally ready to give up and sit in a chair-period.
I hear what you're saying, but I think you're looking at things the wrong way. Using a wheelchair is not "giving up," particularly when you are making things more painful for yourself in the short-term by trying to gut through it. A wheelchair is a tool that can be deployed by anyone when mobility and stamina become a problem. Everyone in the world needs certain tools to get through certain situations.

And quite frankly, given the information you have presented, the best accommodation for your needs is a wheelchair. You need something to help you with the stamina associated with walking all day, a place to sit and minimize impact on your body. You have mobility concerns. A wheelchair is the best solution for those problems, and one of the things Disney is doing to lessen the burden on the system of return times is making sure that people whose needs can be met without a return time are using those available alternate accommodations.

I am not trying to come off as overly harsh, but it is not Disney's job to accommodate people in alternate ways if they refuse, for whatever reason, reasonable accommodation. This is not an exactly parallel example, but I am extremely sound sensitive with my AS, especially when I get hot and tired. The accommodation for me is not to wait somewhere with as little sound stimulation but to make use of earplugs, no matter how much I think I look stupid wearing them.

I know a wheelchair is a totally different mental step to take. But it's not Disney's responsibility to offer alternate entrances if you're simply not ready to make the leap to using a wheelchair (in a situation where many others who can get through an average day without needing a wheelchair can and do use one because the circumstances dictate it's the best solution) just yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter