WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

This may have been asked and there may not be any info...but what about reservations before the re-opening? Our check in date is July 6th. I'm hoping we can rebook this year, hoping for later July which may not be feasible for a couple of reasons. Our back up would be Thanksgiving week...which may already be full. Are we just out of luck?
We are in the same boat with a 7/6-7/11 trip that we scheduled back in January with the free dining promotion. We did a few weeks ago though, go ahead and book a trip in November, as we could pretty well see the writing on the wall with our summer trip. I was hoping an incentive would be offered to those who were cancelled that we could apply to our November trip but I am honestly having my doubts now.

Bummer. What I expected, but bummer. I was waiting to buy tickets because they are expensive.

That also conflicts with some of the emails people have reported receiving on the News Board COVID thread.
Even so, i would think with your hotel reservation, you'll still come before people with nothing reserved prior to all the changes. Everything is in flux though, so who knows. the next 4-5 weeks certainly will be interesting as things are worked out on the MDE side.

they have not given official word on this, someone called yesterday and Disney said they are waiting on the Governor to sign the new procedures and then they'll have more info
Now your ap will be extended (if that's what you decide instead of a partial refund) for the number of days the parks are closed, through your expiration date
For example the parks closed March 16th, my ap expired May 14, so those number of days will be added to my ap once the park reopens and I'll have a new expiration date
They had told me that when I called last week, but the new info says ACTIVE, so just wondering if it changed. Hope not. Main concern is if they will extend it before the reservation system opens.

Well...for starters they could not reduce park hrs to what can only be described as laughable...that would help.

But, I can understand having to cancel all fastpasses/adrs, but to take back a promotion that we booked almost a year ago and our only option is to suck it up. pay rack rate or cancel...that's crooked and sleazy. We would've never booked Disney at rack rate if we weren't getting "free dining." It's despicable that they're allowed to get away with it. We'll be canceling...you know once they grace us with being allowed to get our money back and stop holding it hostage, but it's still a disgraceful way to treat customers.

I do understand, but how do they accommodate who gets to use the promo and who doesn’t? How would you have felt to get an email that said we had to cut back on how many free dining bounce backs there were, so we did a random drawing and you lost? Or, you can keep it but we won’t guarantee you will be able to use it?

If you allow someone to keep free dining, then you have to give them a chance to use it. Too many people wanting too few spots at restaurants,

I give Disney credit that they made this decision and put it out knowing it would upset many customers, but what choice do they really have? They know a WDW is a lot of money. Being honest and upfront that they can’t offer you what they thought they could when you booked last year was the right thing to do,

The park hours may be reduced because they really don’t know how long they need to successfully clean and prepare the park for the next day.

And, I disagree with you that Disney is expecting you to pay rack rate. They are letting you know that they can’t offer you a deal or the experience and gave guests the option to cancel.

Obviously, there would be disappointment but I just don’t understand the level of anger that they think Disney wants to have to run like this. They are losing billions daily. I believe they know the guests who will come for the rest of 2020 are the ones who are repeat guests or local who have been enough that the reduced experience, and loss of FPs, ADRs, and the dining plan won’t matter,

My last thought...I think they learned a hard lesson when they offered the recovery package too soon...they couldn’t deliver so now, they are not going to put out a new discount that they may or may not be able to honor,

I do hope that all that have to reschedule will end up getting to come back at a time when things are more Disney and I would be surprised if specials for 2021 aren’t offered,,,although I am not sure we will see free dining again.

Last edited:
I am booked July 11-19 AKL package no dining plan and just received my email an hour ago. We may be eating at a lot more DS restaurants if park hopping is not an option.
Remember only AK and MK will be open from 11-15. That’s what led us to cancel - along with the earlier park closing. I understand why they are doing it. I just think it was handled poorly. It’s an expensive trip for us and the cons outweighed the pros this time

This may have been asked and there may not be any info...but what about reservations before the re-opening? Our check in date is July 6th. I'm hoping we can rebook this year, hoping for later July which may not be feasible for a couple of reasons. Our back up would be Thanksgiving week...which may already be full. Are we just out of luck?

I am sure a Dreams Unlimited Travel Agent can help with that 😉

I have bounce back free dining booked for August. I completely understand the new restrictions- limiting park hours, no parades, etc. Even cancelling existing ADRs makes sense and I'm not surprised by it. But now paying rack rate for the room plus the $1000 for the food while there...I can't see why they had to cancel ALL dining plans. At least give us free quick service because we have to eat while we are there! They would be honoring free dining and give us the option to not be out any money for food this way.

Can someone explain the reason they did not do this? I don't mean to be so negative (and we are not even cancelling our reservation as of yet!) but I truly cannot think of any other reason than to get more people to cancel on their own and make sure they can get as much money as possible from those that are going.

I think you hit it correctly, They can’t accommodate...or I should say...they don’t know if they can...all the people booked with not only free dining but dining plans in general, including the quick service plans.

Plus, isn’t the QS plan the one offered for values and moderates? That is a LOT of rooms.

My own thought is that they decided it was best to get rid of anything they were not 100% sure they could deal with so guests could plan if they still wanted a high priced, low expectations trip.

They know most people don’t pay rack rate when all is in full swing so they know many, many guests...even those comfortable going with COVID...are not going to when experience is significantly reduced.

We got the aforementioned email today after my husband called to confirm that our tickets are valid per our reservation deposit. They are but I'll be interested to know what it means to have what they define as "priority" over subsequent ticket holders. I don't want to go up against a first come first serve system unless we are guaranted park entry. We're coming from too far away for a dice roll.
Do you think they will allow refunds up until 24 hours before arrival like Universal?

I’ve skipped a few pages, so if mentioned I’m sorry.

My July 7-11 trip was cancelled. Tickets were already purchased. They are now showing as valid through 9/26/2021.

I purchased 5 day park hoppers, but plan to use them in September in another trip we had already booked. I want to upgrade to 8 day tickets but wonder if I need the hopper part, and if they will refund the difference.

I’m just waiting a bit to let everything calm down before I take the next steps.

It might be safest to change from the 5 day park hopper to the 8 day non-hopper ticket. I'd think you could add the hopper once you find out whether they are going to allow hopping in September and whether it's worth the cost.

It might be safest to change from the 5 day park hopper to the 8 day non-hopper ticket. I'd think you could add the hopper once you find out whether they are going to allow hopping in September and whether it's worth the cost.
I dont think hopping will be a thing this year. It really depends on how big the demand is in my mind.

Maybe enough people will cancel that they will give us an option to add DDP at check-in. We'll set the money we budgeted aside for DDP just in case.😀

(edited because I accidentally quoted someone in error)

I didn't see this posted on here yet, but another website (Not allowed to link it here) is saying Disney has pulled all mention of any WDW resort other than DVC and Ft Wilderness being open by July 11.

• Pending approval from government officials, the phased reopening plans we submitted call for Walt Disney World theme parks to open beginning July 11 for Magic Kingdom Park and Disney’s Animal Kingdom followed by EPCOT and Disney’s Hollywood Studios on July 15. Learn more.

Used to say "and Disney Resort Hotels"

Last edited:
I know it's all speculation but...Are we not likely able to add ticket days now? Are we locked into whatever we reserved for? Also, I assume there will be less or no flexibility on our ticket days if we have to decide in advance? We sometimes take days off from parks in between to explore DS and hotels.

What are your thoughts about capacity? Will they limit it at the resorts too? They'd have to, right? Are post-opening reservations still vulnerable to that?

Also, if the governor moves to a higher capacity limit for theme parks, could we be seeing full crowds by September at Disney even though they open later than UO? One of my dealbreakers is wanting crowds to be somewhat lower if the virus was still very prevelant.

I know it's all speculation but...Are we not likely able to add ticket days now? Are we locked into whatever we reserved for? Also, I assume there will be less or no flexibility on our ticket days if we have to decide in advance? We sometimes take days off from parks in between to explore DS and hotels.

What are your thoughts about capacity? Will they limit it at the resorts too? They'd have to, right? Are post-opening reservations still vulnerable to that?

Also, if the governor moves to a higher capacity limit for theme parks, could we be seeing full crowds by September at Disney even though they open later than UO? One of my dealbreakers is wanting crowds to be somewhat lower if the virus was still very prevelant.

I think at first they will limit ticket sales to what you have I doubt there is going to be add ons to have confusion settled. I also don't see hopping happening or multiday tickets having that 14-day expiration for example, maybe they only go single day for a little who knows.
I don't think that universal and Disney will do even half of what the governor allowed as a max initially I think they need to see if they can handle it sort of thing and ramp up, but how long this last who knows. I would guess its 20-25% in the beginning if not less. I have no crystal ball though like @WebmasterJohn or @WebmasterJackie do though :)

I hope we are able to. I was planning on an additional day ticket to our trip when we checked in.

I'm not sure if they need to. They will limit the restaurants and experiences at the resorts to help with distancing and will probably push online check in to deter folks from using the front desk.

Just because the Governor could loosen capacity limits doesn't mean Disney will follow. They are going to take extra precautions to ensure that their risk is as low as possible. As long as they're under the capacity limit, they're fine.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter