WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

I figured this would be the cast. I thought MAYBE MDW they would attempt to open.

I would assume sometime in June they might start. Wouldn't bet money on it though. If they do, its deff soft opening with limited guests and staff

Disney most likely will follow suit with this

It isn't like Disney to take a backseat in the decision making arena. I fully expect the same from Disney soon. I have cancelled all components of our May 7-15, 2020 trip but for the hotel (rented points and waiting for Disney to do the deed so points will be banked back in their use year and available for 2021 which will be booked on June 6, 2020). I sure hope our fall trip is a go!

I appreciate all the updates that are shared on this thread. Very helpful as an information consolidator. I cancelled my mid-May Universal/Disney trip last week, fortunately the DVC owner i rented points through was able to book me in October, although at SSR instead of the BCV, that's OK, I will just be happy to be there!

It isn't like Disney to take a backseat in the decision making arena. I fully expect the same from Disney soon. I have cancelled all components of our May 7-15, 2020 trip but for the hotel (rented points and waiting for Disney to do the deed so points will be banked back in their use year and available for 2021 which will be booked on June 6, 2020). I sure hope our fall trip is a go!
Disney has said until further notice so Disney really doesn't need to make a date announcement until they are looking towards opening.

It might have to do with something that Craig pointed out on one of the recent DIS Unplugged Q&A chats... Comcast (Universal's parent company) has cable and internet revenue that is not negatively impacted by the current situation (and all of the stay-at-home orders and virtual offices could conceivably have increased it), so they're in a better position financially to weather theme park closures than Disney who gets a huge chunk (almost 40% according to 2019 revenue numbers) from parks and resorts and whose theatrical revenue has been severely impacted as well. So it seems possible that might make it easier for Universal to decide to extend park closures.

While that is true, it also has not removed park hours from its website and held those in May in limbo. An announcement similar to Uni's would be useful to those in May.
Park hours are always changing on the websites as it is so thats not something I would read much into.

UOR's strategy for compensating their workers during the rest of the closure (from an email sent to all UO and USH TMs today):
  • We will continue to pay our team members at 100 percent through April 19
  • Effective April 20, nearly all of us – executives, front-of-house, back-of-house, salaried and hourly, will be paid at 80 percent – and we will ask everyone to adjust their work accordingly. There will be limited exceptions, with some team members being specifically asked to continue working at 100 percent and continuing to be paid at that level. Your benefits will remain unchanged and continue in full. If you have vacation time or PTO, you can use this to supplement your income during this time. This is temporary, of course, until we are through this.
  • We have made the difficult decision to furlough our part-time hourly team members effective May 3. We are delaying the furlough so these team members have time to plan – and collect 80 percent of their average hours until then. Part-time hourly team members who participate in a benefits plan will continue to be enrolled in their plan, with the company paying weekly contributions on their behalf.

Saw this quote in a Variety article talking about the film industry, but there is a mention of parks.

“We’ve thought the value creation from Disney+ (and later on Hulu) would be enough to more than offset a declining environment for Media Networks,” wrote Wells Fargo analyst Steven Cahall this week. “We still believe in that, but we didn’t foresee this unique and severe downturn for Parks. We don’t think Parks can get back to anything close to full capacity until testing and/or vaccines are far more ubiquitous.”

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/...ilm-labels-marvel-lucasfilm-pixar-1234576078/

I’ve read a few people saying that Disney is allowing people to cancel 7 days prior to check-in without penalty but I just chatted with a cast member who said it’s the standard 30 days before. I know different cast members give different answers but I’m going to be cautious and make the 30 days before my check-in date my deadline to make a decision...but will they have announced what’s going to happen Memorial Day weekend by April 21st? I know it probably doesn’t matter because they will probably be closed and cancel it for me, I just did such a great job planning this weekend and I’m dragging my feet! Oh well. I’ll hold out a little longer!

I am hoping they reopen in June for my renters sake.......since I know Disney will not help out with the points in a favorable way to the owners

They didn’t add hours. They just haven’t removed them. I’ve read they are only removing hours a week at a time.
I didn't have a comparison from pre-Covid to compare, but rather my husband received an alert and read it on MickeyBlog.com. Guess you can't trust everything you read on the internet. :rotfl2:

I’ve read a few people saying that Disney is allowing people to cancel 7 days prior to check-in without penalty but I just chatted with a cast member who said it’s the standard 30 days before. I know different cast members give different answers but I’m going to be cautious and make the 30 days before my check-in date my deadline to make a decision...but will they have announced what’s going to happen Memorial Day weekend by April 21st? I know it probably doesn’t matter because they will probably be closed and cancel it for me, I just did such a great job planning this weekend and I’m dragging my feet! Oh well. I’ll hold out a little longer!
The Chat CM was incorrect. Disney has posted publicly:

Capture.JPG

Link: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/travel-information/

Dave

I am hoping they reopen in June for my renters sake.......since I know Disney will not help out with the points in a favorable way to the owners

In Wisconsin we have been discussing the latest projections for peak here and it's looking like third week in May. If we had June plans for Disney I would be trying to change them from my perspective. I realize you are in a different situation.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter