WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

Our Disney spring break trip began today with a drive from the Midwest. A stop in Tennessee tonight, Georgia tomorrow night, then 8 nights in a rental home, with 4 park days planned. All I can think about is that the kids are so excited. I am having serious second thoughts, though. If I'm honest, I am kind of hoping Disney closes before our first park day on Sunday, so I don't have to decide myself. I'm not usually the worrying kind, but already see my own paranoia about the kids touching surfaces and their own faces. (Now that I'm paying attention, I see this happens incredibly often.) Not the vacation I envisioned. Not sure what we'll end up doing. I wish everyone on here the best, am grateful for the discussion.

Wishing you guys the best.

It's so tough. I also find myself wanting Disney to make the decision for us.

We’re headed to WDW Sunday and aren’t considering cancelling. I do think it’s going to get worse before it gets better, but in FL they just don’t have enough cases to even make us think twice- and none that can be tracked to have originated at WDW.

We aren’t flying and we’ll be extra cautious in the parks, but I refuse to let this put a damper on our trip.

One more question about plans to get this back on topic... if I cancel my reservation at Coranado Springs and book at the Swan or Dolphin (less expensive) will my Magic Bands still work?

We have a room only trip (we have AP) at Beach Club 4-6 thru 4-12 after a 3 day stay at Vero Beach. I had thought about cancelling as I can get all my money back but were gonna go unless they close down the parks. Even if the parks are closed if the resorts stay open, we will still go. None of us have any health issues so we will just be extra careful. What we (Me, wife and 2 girls 6 and 8) plan on doing.

-Wipe everything down upon arrival to our room, including the door knob on the outside and inside.
-Wipe the finger scanner myself with a Clorox wipe before we touch it.
-No buffet meals
-Hand sanitizer after every ride que and ride.
-Wash hands after every meal.
-Wash after bathroom but we do that anyway.
-Use magic band for all financial transactions.
-Wipe down personal items after going through metal detectors.

Now I have to convince my wife to take a small bag or go without a purse if possible. She does have a really small Minnie Mouse purse but I would rather her not carry one at all. I can carry the wipes in my back pocket and we clip the hand sanitizer to our belt. I'm paranoid about bag check. Though security wears gloves, they just touched how many hundreds of other peoples personal belongings before they touch ours? No thank you. Plus the tables are probably crawling with germs.

Edit: Forgot the most important thing. -Drink lots of beer :drinking1

I know it is all speculation at this point, but what are the thoughts on if the parks DID close...Would the resorts also close? Or would they keep resorts open and try to provide resort activities to keep people busy? We have 14 nights booked in May (still planning on going), and hoping that we’d still at least be able to enjoy resort even if the parks are closed.
I agree, we're going in May also. I would still go as well. There would be no reason to close resorts.

We’re headed to WDW Sunday and aren’t considering cancelling. I do think it’s going to get worse before it gets better, but in FL they just don’t have enough cases to even make us think twice- and none that can be tracked to have originated at WDW.

We aren’t flying and we’ll be extra cautious in the parks, but I refuse to let this put a damper on our trip.
Enjoy, just follow the protocol, you'll be fine! I'm not going until May and as long as WDW is still open, I'm still going. :wave:

Last edited:
One more question about plans to get this back on topic... if I cancel my reservation at Coranado Springs and book at the Swan or Dolphin (less expensive) will my Magic Bands still work?

Magic Bands are not tied to anything but your MDE account. Once they’re active they stay that way until you deactivate them. You won’t be able to use them at Swolphin to open your room or charge to it, but they will still work for park entry, Photopass, etc.

Magic Bands are not tied to anything but your MDE account. Once they’re active they stay that way until you deactivate them. You won’t be able to use them at Swolphin to open your room or charge to it, but they will still work for park entry, Photopass, etc.

Thank you.

I will say since you are driving you do not have to worry about the airports and if by some chance the parks do close while ur down here you have your car to drive back home. That is a big plus.

Also use ur car as much as possible while in disney to avoid the busses and monorail. Another plus for having your car.

Good idea about driving instead of using the busses and monorail. We are suppose to fly there the third week of April and get a rental car. Now I’m seriously considering driving instead.

We are a young family, but my MIL is going and she does have health issues. Also, my youngest will be turning one right before we are set to go. I worry about him and how he touches everything and tries to put everything in his mouth. This is a tough one.

Um..this really is a huge point.

If you are sick (and definitely if you are positive for COVID19) please DO NOT GO OUT IN PUBLIC FOR TWO WEEKS.

You very likely are shedding viruses on to everything you are touching.
Yes. Even if you are on vacation when you get sick. Just get used to the idea of spending a lot of time in your room.

Also, Centra Care requires cash up front -you can submit to your insurance later. Same with Turner drugs, I think. The drugs that got my breathing under control today were $700 retail.

I know that nonrefundable costs weigh heavily when you think about cancelling. The costs of being sick add up fast, and then you have to get the insurance company to reimburse you for whatever your plan covers.

Now I have to convince my wife to take a small bag or go without a purse if possible. She does have a really small Minnie Mouse purse but I would rather her not carry one at all. I can carry the wipes in my back pocket and we clip the hand sanitizer to our belt. I'm paranoid about bag check. Though security wears gloves, they just touched how many hundreds of other peoples personal belongings before they touch ours? No thank you. Plus the tables are probably crawling with germs.

Edit: Forgot the most important thing. -Drink lots of beer :drinking1
I'm so glad you mentioned the security bag check. We leave for WDW next Wednesday. We were just there in January and I remember commenting to my husband about how unsanitary it was that the security guards who had just put their gloved hands in 100's of other people's bags were now touching everything in mine! They were protecting themselves, but not the 1000's of guests whose items they search. I guess it's impractical to change gloves after every search so I don't know what the answer is. Good idea to try to go without a bag for that reason alone. I wished they had xray scanners like US. We are actually going as part of my daughter's high school softball spring training event at ESPN WWOS. We had a meeting last night and for now the trip is still on. We'll see what happens in the next week.

We’re supposed to leave on the 21st for our week long trip at WDW. Until tonight, cancelling wasn’t even an option I was willing to consider. I have all my FP right where I want them, my girls are beyond excited and have been talking about the trip for weeks. We drive down so I wasn’t concerned about the implications of flying and have a pretty good stock of Purell and Clorox wipes, medicines, etc. to bring with me. And I figured our chances of catching it at Disney were about the same as anywhere else (grocery stores, restaurants, etc).

But tonight began with an email from my daughters school — they’re cancelling all field trips, assemblies and student performances until further notice. Our church also emailed as they are cancelling the weekly children’s Sunday school until further notice. Then the announcement about the 30 day ban on inbound flights from Europe. And then the NBA suspending its season. And then March madness with no crowds.

We’re all on this forum — so I’m sure we’re all aware of those last few items. I’m just wondering how much longer Disney will hold out. Or if closing is even on their radar. Are similar theme park type places considering closing? Universal? Or even places like Great Wolf Lodge? Yes there aren’t any local cases in Orlando — however that information can be taken with a grain of salt as we only have the ability to test a very small percentage of the population.

We will likely still go unless Disney takes action first... but now I’m second guessing. What terrible timing to have a trip planned!!

Just wanted to say that we’re leaving on the same date and having the exact same feelings. As of today, my workplace is closed, but my son still has school and my husband is still going to work, and we’re leaning towards going and flying out on 3/21, but we’ll see ...

Best of luck to you, and to all of us!

put their gloved hands in 100's of other people's bags were now touching everything in mine!
I suppose the answer is carrying as little as possible with you, using a bag with no internal pockets and voluntarily tipping out the contents (perhaps onto an empty ziplock bag) and asking to repack them yourself. Or go bagless.

I'm so glad you mentioned the security bag check. We leave for WDW next Wednesday. We were just there in January and I remember commenting to my husband about how unsanitary it was that the security guards who had just put their gloved hands in 100's of other people's bags were now touching everything in mine! They were protecting themselves, but not the 1000's of guests whose items they search. I guess it's impractical to change gloves after every search so I don't know what the answer is. Good idea to try to go without a bag for that reason alone. I wished they had xray scanners like US. We are actually going as part of my daughter's high school softball spring training event at ESPN WWOS. We had a meeting last night and for now the trip is still on. We'll see what happens in the next week.

I saw a post from someone in a different thread who suggested putting everything in your park bag in ziploc bags. Security can see through them but will only touch the baggies.

I saw a post from someone in a different thread who suggested putting everything in your park bag in ziploc bags. Security can see through them but will only touch the baggies.
Yes, but then you still have to touch the baggies to get your stuff out.

I suppose the answer is carrying as little as possible with you, using a bag with no internal pockets and voluntarily tipping out the contents (perhaps onto an empty ziplock bag) and asking to repack them yourself. Or go bagless.
I’m bringing a travel size bottle of Lysol and I’ll just give my bag a squirt inside after bag check. I don’t bring that much in, but I do need a small purse or bag. But honestly, it’s impossible not to have contact at any time. If you use gift card rewards cards there’s contact- a million little things. The real key to me is to sanitize often and be vigilant about keeping your hands off your face. There’s just no way to totally avoid touching what others have touched.

Last edited:
I agree, we're going in May also I would still go as well. There would be no reason to close resorts.
I can see the potential for resort closures if CM’s end up in quarantines. The quarantines themselves cause such a huge ripple effect.

So I just thought of an idea. No clue if this is an idiotic plan, or could even be implemented.

So obviously in hopes of not having crowds gather and people next to each other for long periods of times, what if they get rid of standby queues and go virtual queue for all rides. Maybe have it you can only join 3 at a time or something similar. Can leave the FPs line open. I dunno, just popped in my head recently

It is not about whether or not you can handle the virus, but catching it and continuing the spread. Why does this point seem to get missed?
By continuing to wash & sanitize hands, and wipe down surfaces, that will kill the virus and limit spread. We are both lucky enough that our employers support self quarantining, so if we do come in contact we will do that. We plan on bringing clorox wipes with us INTO the parks and everywhere we go. You bet your *** i’m wiping down the ride vehicles when i get on them.

i’m also not making any decisions until Disney released a statement that would hinder my vacation.

Also to continue the bag topic: i upgraded to a clear plastic backpack - one you would bring to a sporting event etc. vera bradley has very cute ones (what i have). I keep all items loose in the bag, so security can see everything. Sure my tampons floating around might be a little awkward, but i’ve never had to open my bag for security since. Solves the issue of them touching your things. Then you can lysol down the entire outside of the bag and be done!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter