WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

How does one implement social distancing as recommended by the WHO and the CDC while at Disney?
Hypothetically or what does that look like in practice?

In practice, I can say that having a growing number of cases near me has made me very aware of who is near me and how close they are to me. But we have active cases in the areas, not like WDW that has none reported yet.

There are areas that will have a higher congestion of people like bag check, all ride and food lines, fireworks and shows, and those will be more challenging to navigate. If/when Orlando begins to have cases and if the parks are open I would expect Disney to address these issues, as all our businesses, schools, and sporting events are up here. They have to create protocol for pandemic where it doesn't currently exist. Or maybe Disney is ahead of the game and has an established protocol. Time will tell what that looks likes in WDW.

I’ve got a trip coming in April that at this point I’m expecting them to close the parks for. Frankly, it seems amazing that they haven’t closed Disneyland yet given the bans in place across California on large gatherings. What’s a bigger gathering of people than Disney parks? Then once they close, or are forced to close, Disneyland it seems like it would just be a matter of days before they did the same at Disney World.

How does one implement social distancing as recommended by the WHO and the CDC while at Disney?
Obviously not as easy but there are ways of keeping distance with people most of the time:
I don't use the monorail but go on the ferry when traveling to MK
In queues I leave some space with the person in front of me
For outdoor shows I don't have to be front and center, pull away towards the back and side views
eat at off times so the quick services are not jammed (I do this all the time, just saves time and effort finding a table)
I am a local and have my own car but if I was coming on vacation I would try and avoid the buses or travel at off times. Maybe use lyft if necessary
The parks are crowded but are not shoulder to shoulder, you will find space to navigate.

Not trying to argue the point at all, but it’s not just a matter of getting the right ratio. Regardless, that’s up to you, but I’d be sure you had parents permission if you intend to let students use it. If not, what you choose to do personally, is your decision of course.
I was summarizing, but again thanks for the heads up.

ETA: a lot of people in our community don't use processed products and already use the home made mix anyway.

I’ve got a trip coming in April that at this point I’m expecting them to close the parks for. Frankly, it seems amazing that they haven’t closed Disneyland yet given the bans in place across California on large gatherings. What’s a bigger gathering of people than Disney parks? Then once they close, or are forced to close, Disneyland it seems like it would just be a matter of days before they did the same at Disney World.
Again, we don't know if or when any of the parks will close but the decision will probably be made depending on the number of local cases, especially number of CM that might be infected. If they did close DL there's no correlation with WDW at all

Again, we don't know if or when any of the parks will close but the decision will probably be made depending on the number of local cases, especially number of CM that might be infected. If they did close DL there's no correlation with WDW at all
I get that there isn’t a correlation from disease prevention perspective, but I feel like there is a very strong correlation from a PR and corporate responsibility perspective. Around me in SC, we have very few cases (9 with no deaths compared with FL having 28 with 2 deaths - per USA Today) but schools and colleges are closing and/or cancelling all kinds of events.

Obviously not as easy but there are ways of keeping distance with people most of the time:
I don't use the monorail but go on the ferry when traveling to MK
In queues I leave some space with the person in front of me
For outdoor shows I don't have to be front and center, pull away towards the back and side views
eat at off times so the quick services are not jammed (I do this all the time, just saves time and effort finding a table)
I am a local and have my own car but if I was coming on vacation I would try and avoid the buses or travel at off times. Maybe use lyft if necessary
The parks are crowded but are not shoulder to shoulder, you will find space to navigate.

I like the idea of avoiding the busses and monorails if possible. I know that for many they can't but for those that bring their own cars that is a good idea for the time being.

I drive up from Palm Beach once a month and sometimes take the monorails of busses but I think my trip next month I am going to take my own car to the parks.

I get that there isn’t a correlation from disease prevention perspective, but I feel like there is a very strong correlation from a PR and corporate responsibility perspective. Around me in SC, we have very few cases (9 with no deaths compared with FL having 28 with 2 deaths - per USA Today) but schools and colleges are closing and/or cancelling all kinds of events.
If DL closes that would not have an impact here just like the closing of the Asian park's had any impact on the US park's. Now i have said that If any of the main 3 central Florida parks close it will cause a domino effect and the other 2 will follow suit. For that to happen it will probably come from the local and state government.

At this year's marathon, several folks on the DIS runDisney board got the flu after the race. Why is this important - it was warm this year for the race - near record heat actually. But the flu survived and was transmitted to several people somehow. Why is this important - because this virus will spread like the flu did.

A lot of that can also be tied to risk assessment, universities already have the tuition dollars from the students and shifting to online only allows them to maintain the education also reducing their potential exposure of students and reducing potential suits brought on by their parents for exposing their kids.

Disneyland Paris had a castmember test positive for the virus and is still as of this day open. It's going to take more confirmed widespread community spread of this virus for the parks to consider closing.

At that point even less of us are going to be concerned about whether or not the parks are still open.

No one should be closing for PR reasons. If it doesn't prevent the spread of disease why on earth should anything close? But that is what it boils down to in a lot of cases "we need to look like we are doing something"

Last edited:
The first 3 min of this video talks about the topic even though it's DL. I am 100% in agreement with David, it's a personal decision and no one should knock anyone else's decision. Like i've said before my DD works at Galaxy's edge and my son works at frog choir, ragtime gals at universal along with several entertainment venues around central Florida, i live stream from the parks 3 times a week and I'm not worried, we're all taking precautions.

At this year's marathon, several folks on the DIS runDisney board got the flu after the race. Why is this important - it was warm this year for the race - near record heat actually. But the flu survived and was transmitted to several people somehow. Why is this important - because this virus will spread like the flu did.

I don't think we have the ability to talk in absolutes about something we're only 3ish months into understanding.

The flu has been shown in certain strains to survive over the summer in history at times. The marathon was also peak flu season and hard to say whether or not the exposures were during the marathon weekend itself or prior to and symptoms just began showing after the marathon itself.

If the virus were showing exposure in more of the southern hemisphere nations right now we could maybe gather an understanding of how it'd behave in long term summer conditions but as of right now I don't know if we have enough information to make any claims about how this virus will operate once we're in the thick of summer.

Also, just speaking from personal experience, I always come down with SOMETHING after running a marathon, no matter the crowds, weather, or time of year. Distance running simply destroys most people's immune systems -- your body goes into survival mode and it makes you more prone to illness. Couple that with crowds of people, and it's not surprising that people get the flu during the height of flu season. They might have picked it up from the flight down and their body COULD have fought it off, but the marathon (not to mention the early mornings and lack of sleep) weakened their immune system to the point where it no longer could.

That said, we have no idea with COVID-19. It seems to act like the flu, but there are so many other factors at work -- both with flu transmission, as well as the novel coronavirus.

We are taking the AutoTrain down and going to the MK in mid-April. Unless something changes outside of our control, I plan to still go. That being said, I've researched getting refunds and exchanges...

This might be useful information for anyone planning a trip. My doctor just referred me for coronavirus testing, and thinks I have a textbook "mild" case. This is one example of what a mild case might look like, and how much I could have enjoyed a trip I was in the middle of. I don't have any material pre-existing conditions, and I'm under 50.

I'm not going to make any commentary on prevention of spread, or my treatments because I don't want to derail this thread. Just to be clear, I was home the whole time - this is a hypothetical trip, and I'm using Pop Century as my reference resort because that's where I stayed last.

I woke up on Wednesday of last week feeling generically yucky. I totally could have gone to a theme park, but I had a headache, a sore throat and an annoying cough. By Wednesday afternoon I was light and sound sensitive and it kind of ached when I took a deep breath.

Thursday I spent most of the day in bed. My most bothersome symptoms were fatigue and body ache with some chest tightness. I could take care of myself fine, but conversations were really hard. I'd probably have stayed home from the parks (or possibly gone to a skyliner park and turned back when it was too much exertion). I was well enough that getting from the room to the food court and back would have required me to rest both ways and in the food court, but I could do it.

By Friday, I'd have needed an ECV to get from my room to the food court, and probably needed to rest on the way anyway. I could sit up and use the computer for short periods of time, but was more comfortable lying down. Breathing was generally a little labored.

Saturday was pretty awful. I did manage to sit at the table and eat a meal someone else cooked. I could barely get my own drinks from 10 feet away. Had a few instances where I thought I'd faint or collapse, but never did.

Sunday I started to improve. I thought about being on vacation and almost cried at the idea of getting through an airport in a wheelchair. It would just be painful, slow and exhausting. Even getting into a car to get to the airport would be miserable.

Monday was better. I probably spent half the day sitting upright! I could could myself fed and hydrated. I probably could have ambled through a theme park in a scooter or ECV and enjoyed the sunshine. Rides would have been too much. I looked up some paced breathing exercises and they helped the breathing.

Tuesday I still had to stop and rest to recover comfortable breathing, but I could do laundry and offer useful suggestions for enriching our earthquake supplies.

Today the difficulty breathing with minimal exertion is back. I can't pick up the room without stopping to catch my breath, but I could probably manage simple rides like Dumbo. Safari would be too much. Pirates would be too much. Flying today would be really difficult, but probably doable. I'd want long layovers between my flights.

I wouldn't call this a cold, and while the symptoms are similar to the flu, my fever has been mild enough that the shortness of breath has really been the limiting factor.

For people who are going to Disney, here are my suggestions:

• Plan your travel with lots of flexibility and loose connections. If you are sick coming home (incubating when you left home, or exposed on the flight out, whatever) you'll really appreciate not having to hurry.
  • Have a plan for what to do if someone in your group gets sick, or is too ill to travel home on your scheduled travel day.
  • Bring the kind of medication that usually helps you for bad colds or the flu. It's all symptomatic relief, but I'll take what I can get! My doctor called in prescriptions without seeing me, but the non-prescription stuff can be a surprising hassle to get.
  • Value resorts are good IMO - you can sit outside your hotel room and get fresh air and sunshine without the hallway interactions and with minimal exertion. Deluxe with a balcony would be even better - room service -and- fresh air.
  • Take as many precautions as you can to avoid getting sick or spreading sickness.
  • Bring an inexpensive pulse-oxygen meter and know what your normal values are/how to use it. It lets me self-monitor and know when to call my doctor/get help.
Likely, nothing will happen. But a week and a half ago, we didn't have local transmission here.

This might be useful information for anyone planning a trip. My doctor just referred me for coronavirus testing, and thinks I have a textbook "mild" case. This is one example of what a mild case might look like, and how much I could have enjoyed a trip I was in the middle of. I don't have any material pre-existing conditions, and I'm under 50.

I'm not going to make any commentary on prevention of spread, or my treatments because I don't want to derail this thread. Just to be clear, I was home the whole time - this is a hypothetical trip, and I'm using Pop Century as my reference resort because that's where I stayed last.

I woke up on Wednesday of last week feeling generically yucky. I totally could have gone to a theme park, but I had a headache, a sore throat and an annoying cough. By Wednesday afternoon I was light and sound sensitive and it kind of ached when I took a deep breath.

Thursday I spent most of the day in bed. My most bothersome symptoms were fatigue and body ache with some chest tightness. I could take care of myself fine, but conversations were really hard. I'd probably have stayed home from the parks (or possibly gone to a skyliner park and turned back when it was too much exertion). I was well enough that getting from the room to the food court and back would have required me to rest both ways and in the food court, but I could do it.

By Friday, I'd have needed an ECV to get from my room to the food court, and probably needed to rest on the way anyway. I could sit up and use the computer for short periods of time, but was more comfortable lying down. Breathing was generally a little labored.

Saturday was pretty awful. I did manage to sit at the table and eat a meal someone else cooked. I could barely get my own drinks from 10 feet away. Had a few instances where I thought I'd faint or collapse, but never did.

Sunday I started to improve. I thought about being on vacation and almost cried at the idea of getting through an airport in a wheelchair. It would just be painful, slow and exhausting. Even getting into a car to get to the airport would be miserable.

Monday was better. I probably spent half the day sitting upright! I could could myself fed and hydrated. I probably could have ambled through a theme park in a scooter or ECV and enjoyed the sunshine. Rides would have been too much. I looked up some paced breathing exercises and they helped the breathing.

Tuesday I still had to stop and rest to recover comfortable breathing, but I could do laundry and offer useful suggestions for enriching our earthquake supplies.

Today the difficulty breathing with minimal exertion is back. I can't pick up the room without stopping to catch my breath, but I could probably manage simple rides like Dumbo. Safari would be too much. Pirates would be too much. Flying today would be really difficult, but probably doable. I'd want long layovers between my flights.

I wouldn't call this a cold, and while the symptoms are similar to the flu, my fever has been mild enough that the shortness of breath has really been the limiting factor.

For people who are going to Disney, here are my suggestions:

• Plan your travel with lots of flexibility and loose connections. If you are sick coming home (incubating when you left home, or exposed on the flight out, whatever) you'll really appreciate not having to hurry.
  • Have a plan for what to do if someone in your group gets sick, or is too ill to travel home on your scheduled travel day.
  • Bring the kind of medication that usually helps you for bad colds or the flu. It's all symptomatic relief, but I'll take what I can get! My doctor called in prescriptions without seeing me, but the non-prescription stuff can be a surprising hassle to get.
  • Value resorts are good IMO - you can sit outside your hotel room and get fresh air and sunshine without the hallway interactions and with minimal exertion. Deluxe with a balcony would be even better - room service -and- fresh air.
  • Take as many precautions as you can to avoid getting sick or spreading sickness.
  • Bring an inexpensive pulse-oxygen meter and know what your normal values are/how to use it. It lets me self-monitor and know when to call my doctor/get help.
Likely, nothing will happen. But a week and a half ago, we didn't have local transmission here.
Have you actually been tested yet?

And that's your prerogative, obviously. Personally I am not trusting the CM or anyone to keep safety procedures and wiping things down, I take manners into my own hands and I am cautious. I am not in the high mortality rate (which is the elderly) most everyone else that has been infected go through the symptoms and come through fine, obviously no one likes being sick but I'm not going to stop doing what I'm doing scared of getting sick with this when I have researched the virus. Again a personal decision, I won't knock you out for not coming and you won't knock me down for going.
Disney will decide to close if they see that it's the best thing to do for their CM (which they need to operate) as of now there has been 0 confirmed cases here in Orlando or Kissimmee where 99% of Disney's work force lives in

This is kind of where I'm at also. We're going in mid-May and have no plans to do anything different other than the advice the WHO has already given. Like everyone else we will stock up on disinfectant wipes and sanitizer and use often. I'm kind of wondering what you do for the rides though? Wipe the handles before you use them, sanitize after you get off the ride...or both. Plus there are riders in direct proximity to you screaming and yelling throughout the ride so there's no real way to avoid them... short of not going on rides.

My favorite part of vacation is dining and we often frequent the TS buffets because we'll... I like eating :blush: but this raises another issue as everyone is using the same serving utensils and reaching in to get their food, etc etc. Virus or no virus, I'm not skipping Cape May, Crystal Palace, and Boma. I waited all year for them :guilty:. For me, the reason I'm not freaking out so far is no one in my immediate family is in the danger demographic and as has been said previously, this is tantamount to having the flu. Just keep on keeping on and try to be smart about things, I guess.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter