WDW COVID-19 Operational Changes- Reservation System-Rope Drop Procedures

I feel like as each day goes by, the chances become greater of some sort of closure in the parks.

I have friends coming a week from Thurs. So we'll see. They're driving and staying at my place, so not worried about planes/etc. Just the park itself

I feel like as each day goes by, the chances become greater of some sort of closure in the parks.

I have friends coming a week from Thurs. So we'll see. They're driving and staying at my place, so not worried about planes/etc. Just the park itself

Barring an exponential growth in the next week in Florida and an impact on a solid percentage of castmembers I don't see the parks closing in the coming weeks. Disneyland Paris has had a cast member test positive for the virus and as of now has yet to close its doors. If any would be more likely I'd say Paris would be first to close well before any of the stateside parks close.

The parks in Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Tokyo are different as they are not controlled in the majority by Disney, with Disney having 0 ownership of the Tokyo parks (Shanghai and Hong Kong i think they have around 40% ownership). The governments and outside companies have much more control over whether or not those parks shutter their doors.

I still don't see the stateside parks closing over the next month or so personally.

Barring an exponential growth in the next week in Florida and an impact on a solid percentage of castmembers I don't see the parks closing in the coming weeks. Disneyland Paris has had a cast member test positive for the virus and as of now has yet to close its doors. If any would be more likely I'd say Paris would be first to close well before any of the stateside parks close.

The parks in Shanghai, Hong Kong, and Tokyo are different as they are not controlled in the majority by Disney, with Disney having 0 ownership of the Tokyo parks (Shanghai and Hong Kong i think they have around 40% ownership). The governments and outside companies have much more control over whether or not those parks shutter their doors.

I still don't see the stateside parks closing over the next month or so personally.

I would agree with you on this. I agree with @yulilin3, it would have to take either a MASSIVE outbreak in the Orlando area or many CM's testing positive for a COMPLETE SHUTDOWN.

As of now I dont see that happening in the coming weeks. IMO

My family has been discussing what our determining factors would be if we decide to cancel. In the case that the parks are still open but there could be active cases in the Orlando area. One of the things that surprised me in our experience here is how fast things can happen. On Sunday 2 cases were announced in a specific county near us, and by last night that jumped to 7 cases in that one area and they began to close several entire school districts. That's a period of ONE day.

We're going to keep an eye on Orange county, specifically school districts around there and larger venues for cancellation of events/games. I guess my point is that we're going to look at how the rest of the Orlando area is handling things if they have cases, even if the WDW parks remain open.

My family has been discussing what our determining factors would be if we decide to cancel. In the case that the parks are still open but there could be active cases in the Orlando area. One of the things that surprised me in our experience here is how fast things can happen. On Sunday 2 cases were announced in a specific county near us, and by last night that jumped to 7 cases in that one area and they began to close several entire school districts. That's a period of ONE day.

We're going to keep an eye on Orange county, specifically school districts around there and larger venues for cancellation of events/games. I guess my point is that we're going to look at how the rest of the Orlando area is handling things if they have cases, even if the WDW parks remain open.
the entire Central Florida goes on Spring Break starting Friday, so that may help or hinder any spread

We had plans to go to Italy this weekend that we obviously canceled. I am seeing airfares to MCO for under $100/rt, flying out this weekend, and more and more hotels popping up on Hotwire for this weekend/next week with amazing rates. It's so tempting to book a trip but I feel that might be both foolish and reckless and I should hold off. I am not criticizing anyone else's choices, but am curious if anyone else is planning to go because of these amazing prices, or if anyone had plans to go and is now canceling? It seems that, thus far, crowd levels are still quite high in all the parks. Thanks for your thoughts on this.

DS12 and I have a trip planned for next week. Our flights are on JetBlue and fall within their new no-fee change/cancellation policy and I can modify our WDW resort dates to a future date, if need be, with no penalty. I literally may wait until the day before to decide if we go or not. We live 10 miles from one of the outbreak epicenters so, IMHO, we are no safer here than we are there and neither of us are immuno-compromised. I found ONE travel sized Purell left at my local CVS and, by some miracle, found that California Baby still had travel-sized sanitizer in stock and a few are being shipped to me as I type this. Also bought Clorox wipes and some travel soap leaves to take into the bathrooms in case they are running low on soap. We may only go to the parks for a short amount of time (really want to ride MMRR) and spend the rest of the time swimming, mini-golf, maybe a water park. My DS12 really wants to go to Tampa for a day to see Round 1 of March Madness. I really don't know what to do and I change my mind multiple times a day. I'm not really that concerned about getting sick. I'm more concerned about getting stuck in FL for some reason . . . ugh.

We had plans to go to Italy this weekend that we obviously canceled. I am seeing airfares to MCO for under $100/rt, flying out this weekend, and more and more hotels popping up on Hotwire for this weekend/next week with amazing rates. It's so tempting to book a trip but I feel that might be both foolish and reckless and I should hold off. I am not criticizing anyone else's choices, but am curious if anyone else is planning to go because of these amazing prices, or if anyone had plans to go and is now canceling? It seems that, thus far, crowd levels are still quite high in all the parks. Thanks for your thoughts on this.
merged you to the existing thread

Currently if you cancel a WDW package within 2-29 days you still owe a $200/person cancellation fee. I need every day within the 30 day window to monitor the Coronavirus situation. I have not heard WDW announce any change but would it make sense for them to be flexible, as I really want to keep our April plans, but if I have to make a decision 30 days out to avoid losing $200/person, I will just cancel and they will lose all of that package revenue. Is it worth talking to them to see if there is anything they would do in light of the current situation?

Currently if you cancel a WDW package within 2-29 days you still owe a $200/person cancellation fee. I need every day within the 30 day window to monitor the Coronavirus situation. I have not heard WDW announce any change but would it make sense for them to be flexible, as I really want to keep our April plans, but if I have to make a decision 30 days out to avoid losing $200/person, I will just cancel and they will lose all of that package revenue. Is it worth talking to them to see if there is anything they would do in light of the current situation?
I think only Disney can give you this answer. There is also technically a $50 change fee if you reschedule, but I have never had them charge me it. So if you are able to reschedule that should definitely be free.

I think only Disney can give you this answer. There is also technically a $50 change fee if you reschedule, but I have never had them charge me it. So if you are able to reschedule that should definitely be free.

I think if the "new" cost is higher than the old cost, the fee is typically waived. At least when I've added people within the 30 day period.

Making my final payment today. I do feel like there is a chance I may still cancel if quarantines get more serious in this country. It's such a fluid situation and doesn't show any signs of slowing down. I'll be watching threads like this and packing all the mentioned extras, clorox wipes, soap leaves and purell. So thank you all for sharing! The more info we can get, the better off we will be.

I was told that I am allowed to modify to different dates or I can cancel up to 2 days before with the loss of my $200 deposit, everything else will be refunded. We also purchased extra club level fast passes, for those I was told a full refund with a 24 hour notice. So, I still feel like I have a little time to make a decision.

the entire Central Florida goes on Spring Break starting Friday, so that may help or hinder any spread
Fingers crossed it hinders any spread!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't the Void owned by a company other than Disney? I'm wondering how/if they are stepping up sanitizing the vr gear.

Just to clarify... I think the standard cancellation for a package is the $200 deposit. Not per person.

Enjoy your vacation!

Hmm, okay, I have read different things here. Maybe I need to call them to hear for sure. I think the wording is $200 per package, but some considered each person as their own package even though I only put down $200 for the entire package for everyone.
Thanks.

Hmm, okay, I have read different things here. Maybe I need to call them to hear for sure. I think the wording is $200 per package, but some considered each person as their own package even though I only put down $200 for the entire package for everyone.
Thanks.
Unless you booked through a TA with something unusual, WDW considers one reservation number to be one package. There may be 1 person or 4 people (or more) on that one reservation. A "package" typically includes a resort room plus tickets and/or dining. Each person is not a separate "package" unless they each have their own room.

Enjoy your vacation!

As long as the parks remain open, I do not see them changing their change/cancellation policies. If you think you will not go and you are within 30 days of your check-in, the best thing to do to save that $200 deposit is to change your dates. As PPs have noted, technically there is a $50 change fee to do this (if you are within 30 days), but if your new dates cost the same or higher than your old dates, they will, most likely, waive the fee. We are supposed to check in next week. I may be modifying our dates up until the day before to avoid losing the $200.

Fingers crossed it hinders any spread!

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... but isn't the Void owned by a company other than Disney? I'm wondering how/if they are stepping up sanitizing the vr gear.

Yes, the company is called The Void. You could try to contact them to ask what their cleaning protocol is. https://www.thevoid.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIyKuQ7a2Q6AIVlJJbCh2fOATBEAAYASAAEgINMPD_BwE

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter