WDW Conventional Wisdom

I'm not sure if this is quite what you were asking since it isn't "conventional wisdom" here but for newbies at WDW they would think it is true since it is true at most other parks.

"FastPasses cost extra".

This is one area I think Disney as a whole has it right. No one can "buy" their way to shorter lines or that special CM magic that just spontaneously happens in the park. Nor do disabled guests get to go the front of the line even if it looks like that is happening when they skip the line and go in a special entrance. All guests are treated pretty much equally no matter how much they have spent at WDW over the years. They are exceptionally willing to accomodate but not give preferential treatment.

Disney has the opposite view compared to most other resorts/destinations where regulars get all kinds of discounts and perks not available to the general public.

:rotfl2: beat me to It,Its the frist thing that came to mind.I always see all the horror stories about folks not getting ADR,and feeling really bad about it and haveing to redo there plans. Well we make our ADR evrey time but really you can just as easly walk up,you might have to wait but othere then that you can still eat at the places you want.

I'm not sure if this was sarcastic or not...because respectfully, our experience disagrees.

Since the DDP has taken off, you are not guaranteed to be able to eat wherever you want. We went last year at a Value time (Jan/Feb) and at every single TS meal, they turned every family away at the door. No walk ups. And the parks were virtually empty.

If you really don't mind if you get in or not, I guess you could just wing it. But if someone has their heart set on something, you'd be wise to make a reservation. All it takes is a phone call and you're set.

don't bother with dinner reservations... you can walk right in all the restaurants and be immediately seated.

This is only true during certain times. We went to MNSSHP in September 08 and made ADRs for The Plaza. We waited 15 minutes for a table and watched at least a dozen families walk up and be told there was nothing available for a few hours.

This is only true during certain times. We went to MNSSHP in September 08 and made ADRs for The Plaza. We waited 15 minutes for a table and watched at least a dozen families walk up and be told there was nothing available for a few hours.

I am looking at doing a first timer's guide to WDW as a companion piece to disneyreport.com. Just wanted to get some feedback on conventional wisdom (or advice) you always hear for WDW that isn't NECESSARILY true or doesn't ever seem to play out once you are on-site. Thanks in advance.

I think you might have missed the gist of the topic... the concept is things that people think are true... or believe about WDW that are not correct.

a lot of people fail to plan for WDW at all, no reservations, no idea of what the attractions are, no idea there is more than one park, no idea that Universal is not WDW, no idea the size and scope of things to see and do.

My assumption is that the OP is looking for items that folks that are not avid fans, or for the first time visitor... they will assume is true, when it is not.

A lot of different opinions here and that is good. For those of you that don't make ADRs, bless you, that means some one else can get a reservation. Those of you that stay of property "Thanks", I feel most Disney properties are crowded enough. As far as getting to a park quicker I would say that depends, for example, I have had bellmen drop me off at the front gate from SSR in a matter of minutes. I know you can drive to MK, pay for parking, park your car, wait for a tram, ride the tram, get to the gate entrance, have your bags checked, go through the actual gate, and take a good hour or so from what ever resort you left from.

Here's two that I can think of:
1. Have a plan but not a schedule. For me schedules just make for stress, you have to move at your own pace and you have to be able to be flexible.

2. Get to know the transportation system before you get there. At least know where your bus stops are and how you plan on getting from place to place if you plan on hopping. Get to know all of your options and the times they run. Between boats, buses, cabs and monorails it can be a little tricky if you've never done it before.

I'll agree with pp's that taking an afternoon break from the parks isn't always the best idea. (But don't tell my kids that - I need my nap at the pool!)

I also agree that the left hand line isn't always the shortest. I found lately that the line in the middle works well.

Mine is about water. I keep reading posts about shipping water down. The drinking fountains in the parks are frequent and don't taste as bad as the resort water. Why ship cases of water down and lug bottles of it all over the parks when you don't have to?

Another tip I read about is to plan your trip well in advance - like several months to a year in advance. Then you have people stressing out all over the boards because they can't call for ADR's yet and the park hours haven't been released.

You can plan a perfectly good trip in less than a month, and get all of your ADR's. (The exception to this would be airline tickets).

About ADR's...it is a very imperfect system. But the week of March 1-8, we did see people turned away from Rest. because they did NOT have an ADR. If there is a place you REALLY want to eat, I would make an ADR. This is actually the first time we have had ADR's and we go 2+ times a year.

It does not matter which resort you stay in as long as you are on WDW property. WRONG!

Depending on time of year, what activities are going on, what parks you like to visit the most, etc, this is a big deal.

It is okay to never make dining reservations and just decide where you want to eat when you get there.

You can do all of WDW in a week. LOL LOL LOL

I'm not sure if this was sarcastic or not...because respectfully, our experience disagrees.

Since the DDP has taken off, you are not guaranteed to be able to eat wherever you want. We went last year at a Value time (Jan/Feb) and at every single TS meal, they turned every family away at the door. No walk ups. And the parks were virtually empty.

If you really don't mind if you get in or not, I guess you could just wing it. But if someone has their heart set on something, you'd be wise to make a reservation. All it takes is a phone call and you're set.

Thats ok every one has diffrent experinces,we were there the frist week of April of last year and walk up for lunch at the Biergarten and they told us the same thing that they were booked,15min later we were being seated. Now To be fair we were just two of us so that had someithing to do with it.My point being that just because you could not get a ADR to the place you had your hart set on,It does not mean you can not get In.
:goodvibes

I can just wing it when I get there, I'll wonder around and go do just fine, after all WDW is just like the amusement parks back home.

I would amend that a little...I think you can wing it and "be fine", you just have to know that you won't get everything you want...

I have walked into Disneyland (not WDW) countless times with no plans, not knowing where I was going to eat, etc. and had a GREAT time.

I would amend that a little...I think you can wing it and "be fine", you just have to know that you won't get everything you want...

I have walked into Disneyland (not WDW) countless times with no plans, not knowing where I was going to eat, etc. and had a GREAT time.

ah, but you probably had been to DL before... and know your way around, and can form a plan on the fly, and do not have 3 kids all toddlers in tow. I don't do nearly the planing I used to for WDW, cause I know my way around... the only thing I need reference for is some of the show times (sorry I have not yet committed the start times for indiana jones stunt show to memory)

If you have never been before, ever... and have done no research at all. Arrival can be very surprising.

I always read that you can save money by staying off property. I find this only to be true if you're driving to WDW and you do NOT have to rent a car...

ah, but you probably had been to DL before... and know your way around, and can form a plan on the fly, and do not have 3 kids all toddlers in tow. I don't do nearly the planing I used to for WDW, cause I know my way around... the only thing I need reference for is some of the show times (sorry I have not yet committed the start times for indiana jones stunt show to memory)

If you have never been before, ever... and have done no research at all. Arrival can be very surprising.

Eh, my mom took me to WDW about 14 years ago. We had no plans whatsoever. In fact, we decided a few weeks before we went that we were going. I was a hopeful 5th grade graduate who asked if we could go to Disney World, and lo and behold, she said yes!

It was a wonderful trip!!! Of course, since then they've added FP, AK, etc., but we were still totally fine with no planning, flying by the seat of our neon (hey, it was the early 90s) shorts. And this was in the thick of summer. Loved every second of it (sunburned shoulders and all).

If you're a planner, you'll know what you would have missed. If you just go, chances are you'll have no idea.

If you're a planner, you'll know what you would have missed. If you just go, chances are you'll have no idea.
I

I think this is the best way to put this. I have been to WDW several times on business (alone) but didn't really do much in the parks. I've only vacationed including "doing" the parks 2 times. We go to amusement parks here at home all the time (as in every weekend sometimes in the summer) and just assumed WDW was a bigger version of our amusement parks. Didn't even KNOW you could -much less should - plan it out. We went, had a wonderful time, and when we got back I'd see something on TV or online about a ride or an attracation or a show and was like,man, it figures they added that right after our trip, turns out it had been there all the time.. we just didn't know it. We are going again next month & I have been online researching and planning this trip and I'm looking forward to this different approach to visting WDW. My (long winded) point is, if you are "versed" in the magnatude of WDW, then you'll know you missed something, but if you go there expecting "just another amusement park" you still will most likly have a great time, and you most likly won't even realise what you missed.

I always read that you can save money by staying off property. I find this only to be true if you're driving to WDW and you do NOT have to rent a car...

Yes! This is exactly the kind of things I am looking for. Keep it up.

I've noticed when new people ask questions on the boards we tend to give the usual pat answers. I would just like to see some of the 'convention wisdom' we read and even give out to be challenged a little.

um, ya really need reservations in order to be seated at pretty much all the sit downs now.

I

I think this is the best way to put this. I have been to WDW several times on business (alone) but didn't really do much in the parks. I've only vacationed including "doing" the parks 2 times. We go to amusement parks here at home all the time (as in every weekend sometimes in the summer) and just assumed WDW was a bigger version of our amusement parks. Didn't even KNOW you could -much less should - plan it out. We went, had a wonderful time, and when we got back I'd see something on TV or online about a ride or an attracation or a show and was like,man, it figures they added that right after our trip, turns out it had been there all the time.. we just didn't know it. We are going again next month & I have been online researching and planning this trip and I'm looking forward to this different approach to visting WDW. My (long winded) point is, if you are "versed" in the magnatude of WDW, then you'll know you missed something, but if you go there expecting "just another amusement park" you still will most likly have a great time, and you most likly won't even realise what you missed.

And then when ya realize what ya did miss...you buy their guidebook, join the DIS and start a lifelong addiction. :rolleyes1

um, ya really need reservations in order to be seated at pretty much all the sit downs now.

The more popular ones (CRT, Le Cellier, CM, etc.), sure, but unless you have a giant party or want lunch at exactly 12:00, you can usually get a table. I've seen several people walk up and, of course after a little wait, get a table. Again, if you're a planner and have things timed, you'll absolutely want to make ADRs, but if you're winging it, you're not worrying about the 15 minutes spent waiting for a table.

Please include the fact that YOU CANNOT BUY EXTRA DAYS AND USE THEM TO PARK HOP. Thank you.

Yes this is so true...but you do not need to always add park hopper on if you are unsure you are going to use it and waste it. I just myself found out (thanks Robo) that you can add the park hopper on after tickets are purchased (Ithink up to 14 days after activation).

This helps because I think many people like myself (who usually has AP"s but won't this year) are on the fence. Will I park hop? will I not? If you do not you are wasting $100 plus bucks per couple.

Oh another thing EMH is not always a good thing. It can be but you need to take into consideration how you use it. The park with EMH will be most crowded during the day but if you do memh and the hop or do eemh and then take a large midday break and eat dinner outside the park and then go back until 12 am it could be a great thing.

Myth: That you could actually use up a 7 day park pass with WPF&M in a 7 night trip.

Truth: Unless you get in really early the first day and leave late on your last day, it's pretty hard just to use up the 7 park days - most families will take at least 1 day off from the parks. And, going to a water park could take most of your day if you're having fun and it's warm. It's actually very difficult to use up the WPF&M passes, which BTW can't be used for mini golf.

Which leads to the other myth: that using a water park pass uses up a park day -- we get questions about this on the boards all the time.

Truth: you actually have 7 park tickets AND 7 WPF&M passes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter