WDW Conventional Wisdom

disreport

Casual observer
I am looking at doing a first timer's guide to WDW as a companion piece to disneyreport.com. Just wanted to get some feedback on conventional wisdom (or advice) you always hear for WDW that isn't NECESSARILY true or doesn't ever seem to play out once you are on-site. Thanks in advance.

don't bother with dinner reservations... you can walk right in all the restaurants and be immediately seated.

don't bother with dinner reservations... you can walk right in all the restaurants and be immediately seated.

:rotfl2: beat me to It,Its the frist thing that came to mind.I always see all the horror stories about folks not getting ADR,and feeling really bad about it and haveing to redo there plans. Well we make our ADR evrey time but really you can just as easly walk up,you might have to wait but othere then that you can still eat at the places you want.

My advice is to have a clear understanding of how the Fastpass system works! It can save you incredible amounts of time. BTW, I wouldn't do WDW WITHOUT making adr's! :rotfl:

My advice is to have a clear understanding of how the Fastpass system works! It can save you incredible amounts of time. BTW, I wouldn't do WDW WITHOUT making adr's! :rotfl:

On that same note, it's a non-advertised fact that most of the time people can return with their fastpass any time later than the return time printed on the ticket. That's a great thing to know and can really help when there are large crowds.

:rotfl2: beat me to It,Its the frist thing that came to mind.I always see all the horror stories about folks not getting ADR,and feeling really bad about it and haveing to redo there plans. Well we make our ADR evrey time but really you can just as easly walk up,you might have to wait but othere then that you can still eat at the places you want.

Does this still hold true even when they have the signs out in the parks noticing that all table service restaurants are full for the day? I can't recall the exact wording.

As far as ADR's go, it seems to be time of year / particular restaurant that determines the need for ADR's. In general, I think we all get a little more stress out about it than need be.

Anyways.... I'm wracking my brain... but I think I must spend too much time reading here and can't get my brain to think outside the Dis-box to even think of any bad advice. It is a Friday and my brain is sort of fried and ready for weekend rejuvenation... but I think I'm understanding that's what you're looking for... right?

Please include the fact that YOU CANNOT BUY EXTRA DAYS AND USE THEM TO PARK HOP. Thank you.

I laughed when I read this because we usually go at Spring Break, and for a long time I didn't even know about ADR's! :rotfl:

We always just showed up and got in! :rotfl2:

Now I make a few ressie's--for the "biggies" on my list. There's a part of me that's super resistant to planning too far in advance. Part of the fun for me at WDW (especially with hoppers) is just being able to "wing it." I don't like knowing that I have to be somewhere at a certain time.

Sometimes I'll call for ADR's before we head to a certain park (been pretty lucky so far, but we're not that picky). Other times we just show up and wait for a table...

Character dining is the only way to see characters.

FACT: There are plenty of character greeting locations in ALL the parks and dining with them is by no means the only way to see them and get 1 on 1 time with them.

Thanks for the response so far. It just seems like a lot of times we often repeat the same WDW advice and assumptions because we've read the same thing so many times....not nessecarily because it is true. I kinda wanted everyone to think about things they have been worried about pre-trip and then realized it was wasn't worth it once the trip started.

Ok, I think I misunderstood the question then by my above post!

So, I had always worried if I wasn't there by rope drop our trip would be doomed. It stressed us out because we are not morning people, so now we get there around 10am or so. We go off times though, never holidays or summer, so I do understand the concept. But I think the point is don't do something you know won't work for your family just because every is saying "if you don't you'll be sorry!"

Myth: Staying on-property means you are only a few minutes away from any WDW park.

Fact: While I believe staying on-property is far more convenient than off-property, the fact is, between waiting for transportation, transit time (including stopping at other resorts), and getting through the gates, many times it takes the better part of an hour to get from your WDW resort to the inside of a park.

While I think WDW transportation is efficient, I'm still amazed at the amount of people who think skipping from park-to-park or resort-to-resort will only take a few minutes. Granted, some resorts are conveniently located next to specific parks (monorail resorts & MK, boardwalk resorts & EPCOT), but the vast majority of the time, park/resort hopping will eat up some big chunks of time (especially if you don't have a very good plan).

Myth: Staying on-property means you are only a few minutes away from any WDW park.

Fact: While I believe staying on-property is far more convenient than off-property, the fact is, between waiting for transportation, transit time (including stopping at other resorts), and getting through the gates, many times it takes the better part of an hour to get from your WDW resort to the inside of a park.

While I think WDW transportation is efficient, I'm still amazed at the amount of people who think skipping from park-to-park or resort-to-resort will only take a few minutes. Granted, some resorts are conveniently located next to specific parks (monorail resorts & MK, boardwalk resorts & EPCOT), but the vast majority of the time, park/resort hopping will eat up some big chunks of time (especially if you don't have a very good plan).

I think it depends on your resort. We've only stayed deluxe, and most of them are minutes away from a park or two.

I second the rope drop thing. We've made one in all our time, and while I'd love to see the rest, it didn't break the day if we didn't. We've never waited in line more than 15 minutes (yea FP!) whether or not we were at the park opening.

the fact is, between waiting for transportation, transit time (including stopping at other resorts), and getting through the gates, many times it takes the better part of an hour to get from your WDW resort to the inside of a park.

I am not sure I agree with the 'better part of an hour'. Even last year, when I was staying at a Value resort and was in a wheelchair (which meant there were fewer spots on a bus for me, and thus didn't always get on the first bus), it never took me 45 minutes to get from one place to another with the exception of getting BACK to the resort at night. It can be a long wait, sometimes, then. I'd say I averaged about 20-25 minutes from my room door to the park gates.

Convention: People always go to the right so right side lines are always the most crowded.

Fact: You have to look at ALL the lines, especially at counter service restaurants and turnstiles.

1. You should/must take a break every afternoon with small children.

OPINION: If your kids are able to handle the stress and sleep in a stroller without a meltdown like ours, you are far better off staying in the park. The walk out of the park, to the bus/car, riding/driving to the resort, and walking from the parking lot to the room takes a lot of energy and you have to do it all over again in reverse. Plus you will not have been able to get FP for the hours that you left and when you get back most FP times will be several hours later.

2. Swimming in the middle of the afternoon is a great way to rest and recharge the kids for a night at the park.

MAYBE: Swimming exposes your whole body to the sun and can use up even more energy than staying in the park. Depends upon the person. Plus you have the energy used to get all the way back to the resort and then back into the park.

I haven't heard this one but many people must be thinking it.
3. Since MK is open very late 12am or later, we will just come in late and let our kids stay up all night so we will have Fantasy Land to ourselves while all the other kids are in bed.

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE: Fantasy Land at night can be even more crowded than during the afternoon. The only time Fantasy Land will be reliably less crowded is at park opening for the first 2-3 hours.

I can just wing it when I get there, I'll wonder around and go do just fine, after all WDW is just like the amusement parks back home.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter