WDW better than Disneyland?

disreport

Casual observer
Howdy! We just returned from a 5 night stay at the Disneyland Resort. Because WDW is our 'home' park, I wanted to let everyone know there really are some things WDW does better than DL.

Here's a quick list of the WDW-centric things we missed:

- ability to combine tickets and room key

- information packet received upon check-in

- hotel food court

- express check-out

- sense of escapism, true themed environment at hotel

- reasonably close parking lot

- security, id check point when entering resort (lot was packed)

- constantly running parades, fireworks, and shows

- reasonably priced (no kidding) snacks

- grandeur of the park icons (Cinderella's Castle, Spaceship Earth)

- America-centric shows (American Adventure, Hall of Pres)

Of course, there are numerous things better at DL (no fingerprint readers!). I just feel like that because of some inadequacies, the really good things about WDW are often overlooked.

The resorts definately have totally different feels to them. Walt was the first one to realize there was something missing from the Anaheim resort that he just couldn't create there because of land lock issues. Hence, WDW was born.

The thing Disneyland will always have over WDW is that you can walk in Walt's steps and see where essentially the theme park business began (apologies to Knott's Berry and Santa Claus Land).

THis is an on-going topic on these forums....and I have to say that for a week long vacation resort WDW,IMHO, wins. THAT being said my favorite park will ALWAYS be Disneyland. I was raised in Southern California and for nostalgic reasons I don't think ANY park ANYWHERE can truely compare to the origins and vision of Disneyland since the original visionary himself created.

They're both awesome. If anything Disneyland park is better than Magic Kingdom. Well, a lot of things are better at DL, but there are some that're better at MK.

IMO, PotC & Thunder Mt. suck at WDW. But are aweome at DL. But I like the wide open space of MK vs DL's crammed together space.

They both have their pros & cons.

Both are great parks. Growing up as a kid living on the West Coast, we went to DL at least every couple of years. As an adult, I much prefer WDW since my favorite parks are Epcot and AK. Yep - it's worth it to me to fly cross country for the 4 WDW parks and the variety of great resorts. That's also the same reason my DS chose to do the College Program at WDW rather than DL this Fall! :)

I can't wait to one day go to Disneyland! Been to WDW a bunch of times but i'd love to go to Disneyland.

I grew up on Disneyland and both are totally different. Both have pluses and minus. I really need to go back to DL, it's been a long time.

Hands down, Disneyland is better than the Magic Kingdom.

Also, Disney's California Adventure is an underrated gem. It has probably the two most popular attractions from WDW (Soarin' (Over California) and Toy Story Mania) with significantly shorter waits in addition to some other solid attractions such as California Screamin', Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Grizzly River Run, It's Tough to Be a Bug and Mulholland Madness. Unlike Disneyland and the parks at WDW, DCA is rarely crowded which makes it a nice place to visit.

Another nice thing about the Disneyland Resort is the ability to stay within 10-15 minutes walking distance of the parks for under $100/night. At WDR, the only way to stay that close to any of the parks is to stay at a Deluxe Resort (and pay an arm and a leg to do so!)

While a WDR trip probably requires at least 6-7 days to fully appreciate all of the parks, a Disneyland trip only requires about 2-3 days (because the attractions are so much closer together). That makes it easier to combine a Disneyland trip with a tour of other local attractions (beaches, restaurants, night clubs, Universal Studios, Magic Mountain, San Diego Zoo/Wild Animal Park, Knott's Berry Farm, etc.).

I grew up in phoenix and Disneyland was where we'd go all the time. To me it was majestic and I love it to this day because of all the family vacations there. I love WDW it's like Disneyland on crack...haha There was enough room to do everything Walt wanted which he did and more. I can't wait to go back, i love the feeling of all inclusiveness. PLUS, there is room to make changes which is something that anaheim doesn't have ROOM...
I love them both...

Hands down DL beats MK. Luckily many of the attractions are the same except Space Mountain. Space Mountain in DL is so much better.

I grew up in S Cal also before California Adventure was even thought of. I finally had a chance to go the California Adventure last Oct. Great place, a little like Epcot but has the thriller rides like DHS and Epcot combined.

I still love WDW also, each is so unique in their own way.

I think making this comparrison "WDW vs. DL" is impossible. WDW is so much bigger which means more to do.

I was giving info when I checked in.
I did not have to go down to front desk to check out.
Parking lot - we WALKED from our resort to DL.
Security - You go through 1 check point and can go between parks with out going through another.

I am guessing you did not stay at a Disney Hotel. Don't get me wrong I do not have an interest in going back to DL until the remodeling of CA is done.

They both have pros and cons.

THis is an on-going topic on these forums....and I have to say that for a week long vacation resort WDW,IMHO, wins. THAT being said my favorite park will ALWAYS be Disneyland. I was raised in Southern California and for nostalgic reasons I don't think ANY park ANYWHERE can truely compare to the origins and vision of Disneyland since the original visionary himself created.

I feel the exact same way. There is just something about eating breakfast where Walt Disney ate and seeing the candle above the firehouse lite so you know Walt is always watching.

Hands down, Disneyland is better than the Magic Kingdom.

Also, Disney's California Adventure is an underrated gem. It has probably the two most popular attractions from WDW (Soarin' (Over California) and Toy Story Mania) with significantly shorter waits in addition to some other solid attractions such as California Screamin', Twilight Zone Tower of Terror, Grizzly River Run, It's Tough to Be a Bug and Mulholland Madness. Unlike Disneyland and the parks at WDW, DCA is rarely crowded which makes it a nice place to visit.

Another nice thing about the Disneyland Resort is the ability to stay within 10-15 minutes walking distance of the parks for under $100/night. At WDR, the only way to stay that close to any of the parks is to stay at a Deluxe Resort (and pay an arm and a leg to do so!)

:thumbsup2

I can go on and on about the difference of what parks have better versions of what ride and so on, but here are some other comparisons:

WDW
-you get more bang for your buck at the resorts here. DLR resorts are expensive in comparison. However, of course there are lots of nice little hotels (Ho Jo and Candy Cane Inn) you can stay at nearby.
-DTD bigger and better. Plus you have the Earl of Sandwich which has the best ice cream sandwich. Yum.
-EPCOT, just amazing. DL would have come close if they had build WestCOT.
-Water parks.
-Way more dining experiences, and I think overall, the food is a notch up over DLR. Just my humble opinion.

DL
-Blue Bayou restaurant and the artery clogging inducing monte cristo. yum.
-Less walking...more rides in a small sized parks.
-Cooler Mark VI monorails (though more of a ride than transportation)
-Main Street....cool stores etc that actually are different (i.e Magic Shop and Cinema)
-Park hopping is so much easier of course. This will be an even bigger plus when DCA is finished with its big do-over and is a more realized park.

I agree that DL is better than the MK for me because of the nostalgia with it. I was also raised in CA, on the central coast, and going to DL when you were 3 years old was a tradition. I cried when I took my 4 year old DS last year.
WDW does have a lot that DL simply cannot have due to lack of space.
I miss the original DL sign you'd drive under! The new one just isn't the same! And it is so weird to see California Adventure and think that the DL parking lot used to cover a large majority of it! LOL! To this day, that is the biggest parking lot I have ever seen when the whole thing was there!
WDW does immerse you in the magic, at DL there are stores with bars on the windows and run down old hotels a block away...you just can't quite escape the reality like you can at WDW! :wizard:

Well it has it own charm, I found that when I was there it moves a differnet pace than WDW, I do like the Grizzly River area of GC thats top notch. And POTC is a lot better and the monorail as well is good but not better.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter