WDW and Universal. Who wins?

I was asking (wondering, really) if a large percentage of yearly WDW visitors go specifically for the rides.
US came up in the post you quoted, but it started with asking if the new Epcot expansion had attractions that would make repeat visitors. It's not really a US versus WDW question.
Fair, but IMO it's still going to get you skewed results. Here on the Boards you have a higher percentage of people with APs, DVC, and disposable income enough to make yearly trips and people who have already gone enough so their phase in life may be different. I think it might be hard to figure out what a large percentage of yearly folks go for on the Boards if you're looking for broader representation but I can understand you asking for a general idea.

From our DISer friends who do yearly trips:

One of the couples takes 2 trips a year, one in the spring with their grandkids and one in the fall for Food and Wine (which they'll be leaving in a few weeks). They own DVC and have an AP. However, this year will be their first in a very long time doing MNSSHP. But they've long since stopped going to Disney for rides or fireworks, etc. In fact they hadn't been to MK at night in a long time although their grandkids are getting older and can more easily stay up later so that could soon change.

Another she owns DVC and is an AP and just (as in yesterday or the day before) finished her 3rd (I believe it was the 3rd) Starcruiser time. She did a workcation early this year and went to the parks at night and weekend part staying with one of our other DISer couples and the other part at several DVC properties. She however did think about doing a trip just for Tron. I think she would have done it with Guardians but timing-wise we were all going to be down there for a Disney wedding and so it worked out to do Guardians during the previews. She also has a very flexible work schedule and works remote.

Our other friend before he moved down to Orlando used a lot of his dad's DVC points to go. I can't say he would necessarily book a trip for a ride unless he was already wanting to go back to WDW and the timing worked out but chances are he had already been planning another trip anyhow.

The other couple went several times a year but had an AP (no DVC). They now live in Orlando and work remote. In fact they said today they might go to the parks in the next day or two if crowds look light enough due to the impending weather.

But with these examples is they all had the idea to go down anyhow during the year so it's more like it became an excuse for a Disney trip. That said it's still ride dependent. Moana isn't going to make any of them make a trip just down for it but they'd check it out if it was open while they were there. Galaxy's Edge was different as multiple of them were into Star Wars to begin with).

Fair, but IMO it's still going to get you skewed results. Here on the Boards you have a higher percentage of people with APs, DVC, and disposable income enough to make yearly trips and people who have already gone enough so their phase in life may be different. I think it might be hard to figure out what a large percentage of yearly folks go for on the Boards if you're looking for broader representation but I can understand you asking for a general idea.

Yeah, I won't get definitive results....and it probably wouldn't do much good anyway, since I'm not the decision maker at WDW. It's mostly just curiosity about how others view the changes and direction. I'm still going in November. I'm usually a lot more excited, and I'm hopeful that I'll start feeling it again.

Yeah, I won't get definitive results....and it probably wouldn't do much good anyway, since I'm not the decision maker at WDW. It's mostly just curiosity about how others view the changes and direction. I'm still going in November. I'm usually a lot more excited, and I'm hopeful that I'll start feeling it again.
I'm sure you'll have fun or at least you'll find ways to get happiness :)

I've got now two groups of IRL DISer friends and just saw one group over the weekend where we talked a lot about things (we usually end up talking for hours lol), these are mega fans but two of their biggest criticisms were time spent on attractions to be built and for two of them lack of kid friendly things that were there in the past (especially when DHS got brought up). They still get excited about their trips they just wish Disney was more Disney of old.

What this last trip did for us last year is make us seek out places for refuge (which I know sounds bad) but then we ended up finding places we hadn't before. Taking the Skyliner over to Riviera for a coffee break was a nice break. We hadn't had a chance to ride the Skyliner so it was an easy way to do that and to explore another resort we probably wouldn't have. And I'd do that again in a heartbeat, probably do a meal there too.

Then we went over to Poly for some QS for a break and then went back into MK and decided that was the time for us to do Tom Sawyer Island (which we do anyhow but not too explorative in the past).

Personally WDW is a more stressed environment for us these days but there are things to do and places to go to help out with that. Some Nomad's (if you :drinking1) is a great place to unwind a bit. If you're getting the blues what I like to do from time to time is watch ride videos or area music (I have an old Tomorrowland tune for example) on YouTube or Spotify. Listening to the sounds of Pandora or There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow always gets me smiling :)

Thanks for answering! Can I ask which rides draw you in the most? You mention CR and RotR, but are there any classic rides that are must do?
Of course! Frozen and Soarin' are my top favorites at Epcot, followed closely by Figment and Living with the Land.

Y'all are going to laugh, but no trips would be completed without the People Mover and Small World. After that, I would go on as many rides as allowed by Genie+ and LL at all the parks.

Yes, this trip, we have planned to do some new things. Not really new attractions, but new ways to approach the parks. We have more down time, and more travel time-- which I am excited about. I've said it a few times on these boards, but memories can't be forced, and the things we talk about the most are things that happened during the most seemingly mundane times...waiting in line, WDW transportation, waiting for a table at TS, etc. I've always said that WDW offers a great environment to make memories. Memories can be made anywhere, but they seemed to come easier at WDW. Thanks for the tips!

Of course! Frozen and Soarin' are my top favorites at Epcot, followed closely by Figment and Living with the Land.

Y'all are going to laugh, but no trips would be completed without the People Mover and Small World. After that, I would go on as many rides as allowed by Genie+ and LL at all the parks.

Thanks. Not laughing at all. People Mover, Small World, Country Bears, Tiki Room, Hoop Dee Doo....these are my favorite attractions. Classic WDW.

That said it's still ride dependent. Moana isn't going to make any of them make a trip just down for it but they'd check it out if it was open while they were there. Galaxy's Edge was different as multiple of them were into Star Wars to begin with).
well...down for HHN a few years ago and specifically bought 2 day tickets (+MNSSHP) to go to Galaxies Edge (RotR wasn't open yet), and do F&W.
People Mover and Small World
add CoP and I am right there with you.

At Uni it's Horror Makeup show, Forbidden Journey, Mummy and Velocicoaster. Sadly our quick couple days earlier this month didn't allow for Hagrids. Ah well will be back in couple weeks for HHN!

well...down for HHN a few years ago and specifically bought 2 day tickets (+MNSSHP) to go to Galaxies Edge (RotR wasn't open yet), and do F&W.
Fair point but two things

1) Were you already into Star Wars? I don't mean a big fan just into it as a theme
2) Would you have bought a 1 day DHS ticket just for Galaxy's Edge which would have just been the land and Smuggler's Run for when you went and also not done F&W which I think was more along the lines of the PP's question (or at least that's an impression I got from the musings).

Similar to how people purchase USO but just go for HP and before it was in both parks people still did this. It was enough to draw them to make a special trip.

I think a lot of us thought that people would book a WDW trip just for Galaxy's Edge but I am not really certain the aftermath discussion showed that to be the case. Even the big Star Wars fans were quite torn on how Disney did it.

I can't laugh because PeopleMover is a must for me and I really do have to go on small world once in a trip. It just doesn't feel like a trip until I've been on it.

Reminds me our DISer friend over the weekend who was there for the Starcruiser said she was on small world with no music and felt it was weird to hear the animatronics. I was right there with her in thinking that. I could immediately hear them though lol.

1) Were you already into Star Wars? I don't mean a big fan just into it as a theme
2) Would you have bought a 1 day DHS ticket just for Galaxy's Edge which would have just been the land and Smuggler's Run for when you went and also not done F&W which I think was more along the lines of the PP's question (or at least that's an impression I got from the musings).
Yes did love star wars-walking on MF was pretty much a dream LOL
2-hmmmm good question. I don't know as I do like F&W. We were AP holders for a couple years so went often for awhile. So specifically wanted to experience F&W again. This was pre covid so got park hoppers and we did park hop as well as my favorite park is DAK. Pretty much hit my favorites but the driving force to buy tickets was Galaxies Edge....

I think a lot of us thought that people would book a WDW trip just for Galaxy's Edge but I am not really certain the aftermath discussion showed that to be the case. Even the big Star Wars fans were quite torn on how Disney did it.
That's an interesting one. I wasn't the biggest fan of Star Wars, but I've seen the trilogy many times (being a kid in the 80's, that's just what you did.) I was talking with my kids the other day about how we didn't have all the movies, shows, channels, streaming, on demand, etc., so movies like The Karate Kid and Star Wars were huge. I knew every line because we had about 4 VHS tapes and that's what we watched, even if we didn't love the movies. If it wasn't Saturday morning, the choices were Star Wars again, or the local news. (Ok maybe I'm exaggerating!)
On RotR, I was really blown away when we walked in the room with all the storm troopers, but a lot of the ride was not familiar to me. I don't know for sure if I would have been a bigger fan of the attraction if there was more from the trilogy, but I can see a die hard fan feeling that it was a miss. I feel pretty confident that if they had stuck to the original movies, that a lot of people, who have never been to WDW would have come to see it.
Now, Cobra Kai..Kreese showing up, and Chozen, and then Bobby shows up and even Mike Barnes....wow, that was exciting!

That's an interesting one. I wasn't the biggest fan of Star Wars, but I've seen the trilogy many times (being a kid in the 80's, that's just what you did.) I was talking with my kids the other day about how we didn't have all the movies, shows, channels, streaming, on demand, etc., so movies like The Karate Kid and Star Wars were huge. I knew every line because we had about 4 VHS tapes and that's what we watched, even if we didn't love the movies. If it wasn't Saturday morning, the choices were Star Wars again, or the local news. (Ok maybe I'm exaggerating!)
On RotR, I was really blown away when we walked in the room with all the storm troopers, but a lot of the ride was not familiar to me. I don't know for sure if I would have been a bigger fan of the attraction if there was more from the trilogy, but I can see a die hard fan feeling that it was a miss. I feel pretty confident that if they had stuck to the original movies, that a lot of people, who have never been to WDW would have come to see it.
Now, Cobra Kai..Kreese showing up, and Chozen, and then Bobby shows up and even Mike Barnes....wow, that was exciting!
That pretty much echoes what we had been talking about this weekend with the newer DISer group. They all seem to think it was not the best choice to go with new vs old.

Like there's an appreciation for what they did but wishing it had been done differently. That Stormtrooper area of Rise is one of the most giddy moments you could feel IMO, very well done. But the rest of the ride to us fell flat even though we'd seen the newer movies.

As a family we had never watched Star Wars and a week before our trip we decided to give it a try. I don't believe we finished the first one, just not our thing. Fast forward a week later and we visit the attraction for the first time. We loved it although we have no idea if it's close to the series or the difference between old and new. We did watch a grown man cry while waiting in line so we figured they did something right!!

As a family we had never watched Star Wars and a week before our trip we decided to give it a try. I don't believe we finished the first one, just not our thing. Fast forward a week later and we visit the attraction for the first time. We loved it although we have no idea if it's close to the series or the difference between old and new. We did watch a grown man cry while waiting in line so we figured they did something right!!
There were numerous reports when Galaxy's Edge first opened of adults crying upon seeing the Millennium Falcon for the first time. ❤️

There were numerous reports when Galaxy's Edge first opened of adults crying upon seeing the Millennium Falcon for the first time. ❤️
Seeing it was awesome but when I stepped on and it sounded just like Harrison ford boots sound makes when running along corridors...that was my "emotional" moment. Gotta understand us Gen X'ers literally grew up with OT, and many many of us saw all them multiple times in movie theaters.

Universal is on a roll but still is almost impossible to pass Disney considering the IPs and the real estate they each have to work with.

Still Universal is doing great and I love it and hope they keep pushing each other.

I havent been to IoA but it looks like a great park with good theming and a nice mix of rides (although more on the thrilling side). Epic Universe seems to be an awesome park right of the bat.

But Universal Studios Park is not that good, so hope they work on that. Other than the harry potter area, that park is very ugly. The coaster at the entrance is an eyesore. Ride building in the middle of the parks like Minions and Transformers are like walking around warehouses. I loved the Simpsons area but I still don't feel Springfield to me as you can see the rest of the park from it. This park needs a lot of help.

That pretty much echoes what we had been talking about this weekend with the newer DISer group. They all seem to think it was not the best choice to go with new vs old.
Yeah - this was a big mistake by people with big egos and they keep pushing forward with it. The failure of the hotel says it all to me. First it looked more like Start Trek Next generation than Star Wars and the folks that could afford it probably wanted the original characters

I am not particularly a fan of Star Wars at all, but you go with the proven characters not the ones you hope will draw people. Now they are trying to push an already failed show into it with all the Ashoka stuff - they were popular in the animated version but the tv show is almost unwatchable - the fight scenes look like larping and the long dramatic stares just don't work.

As the story goes it was planned to be the first three movies and they forced the new movies on to Imagineering.

As for Disney having the IPs if they keep messing them up there wont be any left.

Yeah and Mona isn't going to bring anyone in who is not already there

Universal is on a roll but still is almost impossible to pass Disney considering the IPs and the real estate they each have to work with.
Agreed Disney has the real estate - but the money to do something with it is in question.
I'm pretty sure Universal has a vast library of IPs to work with - and the way Disney handles there IPs IDK

Still Universal is doing great and I love it and hope they keep pushing each other.
Yeah it does push Disney to do better

I havent been to IoA but it looks like a great park with good theming and a nice mix of rides (although more on the thrilling side). Epic Universe seems to be an awesome park right of the bat.
Yeah - the existing parks were built pre HP so they have their issues no doubt - still the new stuff they have done with HP is pretty amazing and I am not a HP fan at all

But Universal Studios Park is not that good, so hope they work on that. Other than the harry potter area, that park is very ugly. The coaster at the entrance is an eyesore. Ride building in the middle of the parks like Minions and Transformers are like walking around warehouses. I loved the Simpsons area but I still don't feel Springfield to me as you can see the rest of the park from it. This park needs a lot of help.
Yeah - its meant to look like a working movie studio and I guess it actually is somewhat - but I don't disagree with you. Those retrofits are not the best and it sounds like the new Minions ride is a total miss.

I would not consider the coaster an eye sore - but it does not fit the park and its needs to be replaced IMO.

I like the Simpsons area - but now that Disney owns it it probably needs to go - especially since they cant do anything there during HHN - its a big dead area

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter