WDW 5 weeks post bunion surgery?

linzjane88

Closet Disneyphile
Just writing this the title makes me cringe :crazy2: But, alas, my time has come to fix my bunionette (bunion on the pinky toe side of my foot). We have a WDW trip planned for 5 weeks after the surgery and since I have never had any type of surgery, let alone a foot surgery, I was wondering if anyone that's had it done before thinks it is doable with the walking boot alone? The doctor said surgery wise I will be fine to take it slow and for sure use the boot but I am wondering if the 15k steps a day that come with a Disney trip will have me in an intolerable amount of pain.

I am really active and definitely veer on the side of pushing things because I can't sit still so I don't want to do a scooter but I have no idea what to expect and I would rather just plan for one if it will be needed. All the research I have done is so scary and people seem.....ummm less than comfortable after this procedure o_O.

Assuming you're going with a group, having a wheelchair to use when your foot is in pain can be a lifesaver. You can always walk and push it if your foot feels fine, but it's nice to have it when you need it.

I think you'll be fine by then. I had major bunion surgery, with permanent pins in my big toe, and was definitely walking, albeit with a limp, at 5 weeks.

(1) WDW is *way* more than 15K steps a day.
(2) Do yourself a favor and rent an ECV/scooter. If your "veer on the side of pushing things" you will have a terrible, painful vacation. I can't even imaging trekking across WDW in a boot ... my leg hurts just thinking about it. There is no reason for you to be uncomfortable and NO ONE will judge you. I like Gold Mobility for renting a scooter.

I'm pretty sure your surgeon would give you a big fat "no" to walking WDW that soon after surgery. That sort of day is vastly different than just returning to work, housework, etc. I think we were doing about 11-13 miles a day on our last go for broke WDW trip. If you were ok with just hitting a few highlights and resting while others ran around, you might be able to cap it at 5-6 miles, which still isn't probably what your surgeon would suggest.

The doctor said surgery wise I will be fine to take it slow and for sure use the boot

Did he actually say you’d be ok for a Disney world vacation 5 weeks after the surgery? Or just ok walking around generally? We don’t go morning to night but even still often have 26,000 + steps, especially on travel days. I had a cyst removed from the top of my foot, near my ankle several years ago & needed to be off work for 6 weeks. I don’t know the procedure used for bunions, but 5 weeks seems awful quick to be walking WDW. I had a flare up of plantar fasciitis while there a few years ago. I had terrible pain but didn’t even think about an ECV. Besides the foot pain, I also had pain in my hips & knees from the way I was altering my walk to compensate for the pain. After that experience, I’d never encourage anyone to try to walk WDW with an acute foot issue.

I had a stress fracture and did Disney in a boot. I took a knee scooter with me that worked surprisingly well. I didn’t take it with me one night on a quick trip to Epcot from the BC to grab some F&W snacks. Huge mistake. I was seriously considering sending my kid to the IG to grab me a wheelchair while I waited in Mexico. Even if your foot is almost to the healed point, you’re not taking into account how tiring it is to actually wear the boot itself barring anything else. It throws off your gait; you’re not as smooth; your hips aren’t aligned correctly. It’s way more exhausting than walking in general; I was completely wiped out & my body hurt. Plus it’s hot and sweaty and can rub the top of your calf. If you have a wheelchair or ECV (or knee scooter), you’ll have the luxury of taking it off to air for a bit or at least unfastening the Velcro for a few minutes.

Last edited:
I think you need to give your doctor a run down of your average trip and then decide together.
- How many steps each day?
- Hoe many hours in your feet?
- How many days?

My feet are screaming at the end of each day and that’s without surgery. If it were me I wouldn’t want to damage any of the surgery locations or, put myself through unnecessary pain.

It’s up to you but I really think your conversation needs to be with your doctor and together decide your best way to enjoy your trip.

I'm pretty sure your surgeon would give you a big fat "no" to walking WDW that soon after surgery. That sort of day is vastly different than just returning to work, housework, etc. I think we were doing about 11-13 miles a day on our last go for broke WDW trip. If you were ok with just hitting a few highlights and resting while others ran around, you might be able to cap it at 5-6 miles, which still isn't probably what your surgeon would suggest.

Why are you saying you are pretty sure my surgeon would say no when I specifically said I discussed this vacation with him in my post? LOL.
Did he actually say you’d be ok for a Disney world vacation 5 weeks after the surgery? Or just ok walking around generally? We don’t go morning to night but even still often have 26,000 + steps, especially on travel days. I had a cyst removed from the top of my foot, near my ankle several years ago & needed to be off work for 6 weeks. I don’t know the procedure used for bunions, but 5 weeks seems awful quick to be walking WDW. I had a flare up of plantar fasciitis while there a few years ago. I had terrible pain but didn’t even think about an ECV. Besides the foot pain, I also had pain in my hips & knees from the way I was altering my walk to compensate for the pain. After that experience, I’d never encourage anyone to try to walk WDW with an acute foot issue.

I think you need to give your doctor a run down of your average trip and then decide together.
- How many steps each day?
- Hoe many hours in your feet?
- How many days?

My feet are screaming at the end of each day and that’s without surgery. If it were me I wouldn’t want to damage any of the surgery locations or, put myself through unnecessary pain.

It’s up to you but I really think your conversation needs to be with your doctor and together decide your best way to enjoy your trip.
So to all concerned, YES, I have indeed talked about the specifics of this trip with my doctor. And he was the one that said I would be fine 'going slow in a boot' but that I might 'consider a knee scooter' for that much walking. We already will be going slower this trip because my cousin is recovering from cancer/chemo/surgery and this is her big celebration trip.

I was mostly concerned with how much pain those who have had the surgery themselves were experiencing at about the 5 week mark. If it is likely walking on the boot will be uncomfortable I will plan for a scooter.

I had a stress fracture and did Disney in a boot. I took a knee scooter with me that worked surprisingly well. I didn’t take it with me one night on a quick trip to Epcot from the BC to grab some F&W snacks. Huge mistake. I was seriously considering sending my kid to the IG to grab me a wheelchair while I waited in Mexico. Even if your foot is almost to the healed point, you’re not taking into account how tiring it is to actually wear the boot itself barring anything else. It throws off your gait; you’re not as smooth; your hips aren’t aligned correctly. It’s way more exhausting than walking in general; I was completely wiped out & my body hurt. Plus it’s hot and sweaty and can rub the top of your calf. If you have a wheelchair or ECV (or knee scooter), you’ll have the luxury of taking it off to air for a bit or at least unfastening the Velcro for a few minutes.
Good info. These are all the little things that I was wondering about!

I think you'll be fine by then. I had major bunion surgery, with permanent pins in my big toe, and was definitely walking, albeit with a limp, at 5 weeks.
You give me hope! (but I think team scooter might be winning :moped::laughing:)

Good info. These are all the little things that I was wondering about!

You give me hope! (but I think team scooter might be winning :moped::laughing:)
The other advantage of the scooter is that you and your cousin can switch off if she becomes fatigued.

I use one after 3 painful trips on a bad knee. I always had a bad knee, but I made it worse by slipping on water in the bathroom on the morning of a WDW trip. I ordered a cane to be delivered to my resort and it helped a little but not enough. I never realized how exhausting a cane could be when using it for miles and miles. Like someone above mentioned about a boot, my gait changed and my body alignment changed and I also developed pain in places other than my knee.

I tried the cane thing twice more before I reluctantly rented a scooter. The first time I rented an ECV, I felt like an absolute poser. BUT ... I had a great time without pain! I totally understand the reluctance to use an ECV but don't be like me. It's just a tool, the same as your boot. It helps with your mobility and healing and will make your vacation better.

Well, no snark intended, I'm glad your surgeon is good with you walking WDW. He/She must be very confident in your recovery.

I would definitely plan on at least a scooter, and honestly, consider an ECV if you need it. No need to be a hero. I've had several knee surgeries, culminating in a knee replacement, then hip replacement. Not bunion surgery, but I do understand wanting to be mobile even when still sore/recovering/not in peak form. Pushing thru the pain just results in more pain and slower healing.

Have a great trip.

I was thinking about the knee scooter and wondering how people have done with them at WDW. I've had to use a boot just walking around in my normal daily life and it caused back pain because you are not aligned correctly when wearing the boot.
To the OP: you might want to see if you can find a shoe for the other foot that has a thick sole, one that more closely matches what the boot will be. That might help keep your body aligned a little better so you don't get the mis-alignment pain.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery! :)

Slightly different situation but my friend’s daughter had bunion surgery at 16 and they actually went to Disney about 6 weeks after her surgery. After the first half day in the parks she asked for a wheelchair and happily rode in it for the rest of their trip.
I would worry about pushing it and ending up in pain for the rest of your trip. No one wants to have to use a scooter but if it gives you the freedom to keep up with your family without being in pain then I say the choice is obvious! You also can use it to ride from area to area and then walk the queues with your family which might be a happy medium.

Just writing this the title makes me cringe :crazy2: But, alas, my time has come to fix my bunionette (bunion on the pinky toe side of my foot). We have a WDW trip planned for 5 weeks after the surgery and since I have never had any type of surgery, let alone a foot surgery, I was wondering if anyone that's had it done before thinks it is doable with the walking boot alone? The doctor said surgery wise I will be fine to take it slow and for sure use the boot but I am wondering if the 15k steps a day that come with a Disney trip will have me in an intolerable amount of pain.

I am really active and definitely veer on the side of pushing things because I can't sit still so I don't want to do a scooter but I have no idea what to expect and I would rather just plan for one if it will be needed. All the research I have done is so scary and people seem.....ummm less than comfortable after this procedure o_O.

Why are you saying you are pretty sure my surgeon would say no when I specifically said I discussed this vacation with him in my post? LOL.

So to all concerned, YES, I have indeed talked about the specifics of this trip with my doctor. And he was the one that said I would be fine 'going slow in a boot' but that I might 'consider a knee scooter' for that much walking. We already will be going slower this trip because my cousin is recovering from cancer/chemo/surgery and this is her big celebration trip.

I was mostly concerned with how much pain those who have had the surgery themselves were experiencing at about the 5 week mark. If it is likely walking on the boot will be uncomfortable I will plan for a scooter.

I was thinking about the knee scooter and wondering how people have done with them at WDW. I've had to use a boot just walking around in my normal daily life and it caused back pain because you are not aligned correctly when wearing the boot.
To the OP: you might want to see if you can find a shoe for the other foot that has a thick sole, one that more closely matches what the boot will be. That might help keep your body aligned a little better so you don't get the mis-alignment pain.

Good luck with your surgery and recovery! :)
We've been with a friend at WDW when she used her knee scooter. As long as you are in good shape physically (beyond the foot surgery) it is pretty easy to get around with one. She did say that her knee hurt at the end of the day, mainly because she needed better padding on the scooter. WDW is great at accessibility with a knee scooter - she took it right onto the skyliner, bus, and right up to the attractions.

I would rent a scooter or wheelchair. I had bunion surgery on October 13, albeit it was pretty complicated with big toe fusion and hammer toe correction, but as of today, I am still in my walking boot and keeping my steps to a minimum. It is not so much that my foot hurts. It's actually pretty good. But the boot is quite heavy and you will feel that by the end of the day. Also, the boot puts your feet at two different heights and this imbalance messes with your back and hips. So Disney-level walking would probably be uncomfortable. Best wishes for a quick recovery!

I would rent an ECV if not using a knee scooter - I've used Gold Mobility and they're great. Even if you end up not using it a lot, it's much more economical renting it for a week than renting from Disney.

Personally I'd lean towards the knee scooter if you think you can stand and walk short distances on your own. Far more portable than a full size powered ECV.
I was on a middle school Washington DC trip recently where one of our chaperones had to get one due to a broken toe, and he was able to cover ground pretty well in that thing (if there is any 'downhill part', you can ride down faster than your walking party. Wheeee!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter