• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Waterskiing at WDW?

rbarbieri

Earning My Ears
It looks like this is still available. Does anyone know if the water is safe? Also, do you start from inside the water or on a dock? Wondering in particular about the risk of gators or amoeba. Thanks!

I can't believe they would actually let guests go into any of the manmade lakes. But if they do, this is probably being done from the watersports center down at the Contemporary and you will be closely watched by the Sammy Duvall watersports employees.

It looks like this is still available. Does anyone know if the water is safe? Also, do you start from inside the water or on a dock? Wondering in particular about the risk of gators or amoeba. Thanks!
I don't have the specific answer to your questions but would encourage you to call them at 407-939-0754.

We are a water skiing family from GA and love boating. Having said that I would have a few concerns about playing around in the water around WDW. Clearly there have been gators in the water there. The whole area is one large animal habitat. Regarding the amoeba concern, one factor for that includes water temperature. Summer temps increase growth. Here is a link:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/health/fl-brain-eating-amoeba-cure-20160819-story.html

Are you an experienced skier or are you wanting to learn? Falls allow water to get up your nose or get in your ears. The more falls, or the harder the falls, the greater the chance of the water getting "inside your head". Open wounds also provide an easy path for the amoeba.

I am not trying to burst your bubble, but since you asked, I wanted to provide at least one resource for you to read. You can Google "florida water amoeba" and review more results.

How many cases of amoeba infections have been reported from the Seven Seas Lagoon? I cannot remember any. If there is any Amoebas, they will be found closer to shore where the water is shallower and constantly warmer. If I skied, I would have no problem going.

FYI; The parasite has infected people in 18 states, including Minnesota, Missouri, Kansas, Arizona, North Carolina and Virginia.

It looks like this is still available. Does anyone know if the water is safe?

As safe as water skiing can be.

Also, do you start from inside the water or on a dock?

In the water.

Wondering in particular about the risk of gators or amoeba. Thanks!

Gators hunt/feed at dusk and near the shore. They stay far, far away from the ski boats. The risk of the amoeba is extremely low because the water is constantly being churned due to the boat traffic.

Last edited:
One more thought..........that body of water is pretty big. The daily breezes can add quite a chop to the water. For ideal skiing, I suggest you hit the water as early as possible in the morning and if it is an extra breezy day, you might want to skip it.,

Heading to our local lake right now!

I can promise you this, if it wasn't, they would not offer skiing. Or any other water sport that afforded even a remote chance of someone falling in the water.
I mean think about it for a second, do you truly believe Disney, or the 3rd party contract, would open themselves up to risk, by allowing guests in to known unsafe areas?

I can promise you this, if it wasn't, they would not offer skiing. Or any other water sport that afforded even a remote chance of someone falling in the water.
I mean think about it for a second, do you truly believe Disney, or the 3rd party contract, would open themselves up to risk, by allowing guests in to known unsafe areas?
I hear you. It just seems strange that swimming is absolutely banned but you can waterski, which involves swimming (particularly if you are a beginning or trying to get to the next level and have frequent falls).

I hear you. It just seems strange that swimming is absolutely banned but you can waterski, which involves swimming (particularly if you are a beginning or trying to get to the next level and have frequent falls).
It is surprising-I suppose Disney just uses the "bad things only happen at Dusk near the shore" rationale.

There is a skiing method that starts with you sort of already standing up, not in the water. No idea if this is what they use there or not, but I have done this type elsewhere (it's the only way I can ski, I can't "get up" any other way)

It may also have to do with depth of the water. Shallow waters may be the areas where there are more critters and well, you aren't going to be swimming or skiing in the shallow waters. You'll be in the deep water.

Water movement has little to nothing to do with contracting amoebas. The young lady that passed away in Charlotte contracted her virus from the Whitewater center while white water rafting. This is all water that flows in from the Catawba river and as one would guess is moving rapidly while rafting, the hundreds of others that rafted, kayaked this water were fine. As a floridian I will say, gators can be anywhere, do I think that every time we go near water a gator is going to eat me?? NO but I use caution and always weigh my risk vs reward. Would I let my kids waterski there, probably, have I waterskied in FL, yes. As far as the amoeba concern, it's possible but highly unlikely.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter