• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Waterparks questions

princessmeee

Earning My Ears
Hello! We are taking our first family trip to Disney World and thinking about trying a water park on one of the days we are there. The problem is that the forecast calls for thunderstorms almost every day of our trip. Do the water parks close if it rains?

Next, which water park do you recommend for a family of 5 with children ages 1, 3, and 10 and why? How long would you plan on staying? Thanks in advance!

- They watch radar carefully and they will close it based on impending.
- Issue is lightning. Then they have a wait period even after they get an all clear.
- I've been when we only had to take cover a short time.
- Blizzard Beach.
- Why? Toddler area is original to park and well planned.
- It is right across from Ski Patrol area for tweens, perfect for your 10 year old.
- Kids love the cartoon, snow atmosphere.
- Wave pool is very calm bobbing, fine for younger kids.

We have been at the water parks several times when they close for weather. They will make an announcement and everyone has to get out of the water. The storms are usually fast moving and do not last long. It does make it a pain to make sure you can keep the towels and other items dry. And then they will give the all clear and can get back in.

We love Typhoon Lagoon but I have to agree I think Blizzard Beach would be better for your family.

I think 3-4 hours is plenty. We always got there when they opened so that we could find the right place for our family.

Have a great time!

They will stay open in just rain, but lightning in the area will close them. It's fun to be there during rain.

I wouldn't say the Blizzard Beach is "better" than Typhoon Lagoon for a family. They both have good kid areas (it's just easier to find BBs), both have similar slides. They're both a lot of fun. Frankly, depending on how strong of a swimmer your 10 year old is, I would argue the TL wave pool is better. If the 10 year old is a strong swimmer, he/she can enjoy the bigger waves. They're AMAZING. But since it's a zero entry pool, you can take the 1 and 3 year olds to where the water is only a few inches deep. When the waves get there, they're very tiny and easy even for a toddler. For that reason, I'd very slightly suggest TL over BB...but truly it's a near 50/50 proposition...they're both great.

I would plan to go in the morning, since most of the time the daily thunderstorms are in the late afternoon. I would go with Blizzard Beach. It has really cute theming and the wave pool is nice. The wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon is way too rough for young kids in my opinion.

I would plan to go in the morning, since most of the time the daily thunderstorms are in the late afternoon. I would go with Blizzard Beach. It has really cute theming and the wave pool is nice. The wave pool at Typhoon Lagoon is way too rough for young kids in my opinion.

Sure, it's too rough if you go all the way into the deep section. The wave pool at BB is too much for young kids too, in the deep sections. But like I said, remember that it's zero entry. So there is an entire perimeter where the waves are nothing but 3" high. In fact, one of the kiddie areas is adjacent to the wave pool and the water there will "wave" a tiny bit as waves come through. Not a problem for little ones.

Does your 10 year old like high thrill slides? If yes, then Blizzard Beach
If not, then Typhoon Lagoon. Their slides are lower thrill (but still great fun!)

1 and 3 yr olds will have equal fun in both parks.

Does your 10 year old like high thrill slides? If yes, then Blizzard Beach
If not, then Typhoon Lagoon. Their slides are lower thrill (but still great fun!)

That's not true at all. TL has Humunga Kowabunga, which is very much like Summit Plummet or Slush Gusher in BB...a large and fast slide. TL also has Crush n Gusher, which BB has nothing comparable.

That's not true at all. TL has Humunga Kowabunga, which is very much like Summit Plummet or Slush Gusher in BB...a large and fast slide. TL also has Crush n Gusher, which BB has nothing comparable.
Humunga kowabunga is a smaller and a lot less thrilling than summit plummet, though both are straight vertical slides. There is nothing like slush n gusher at TL. TL does have storm slides, but I'd say slush n gusher is more thrilling than storm slides.

Crush n Gusher is a lot of fun. I love that ride, but not nearly as thrilling as double dippers, toboggan racers, or snow stormers.

I did not say TL did not have fun slides. In fact, I specifically said their slides WERE fun. Just less thrilling, on the whole. I also did not say TL didn't have any thrilling slides. Just on the whole, BB has more thrills.

Another example: tube rides at BB are much much more thrilling than tube rides at TL. This does not mean that TL tube slides are not fun. They are a lot of fun. Just a lower level of thrills than BB.

- Issue is lightning. Then they have a wait period even after they get an all clear.
- Blizzard Beach.
- It is right across from Ski Patrol area for tweens, perfect for your 10 year old.
- Blizzard Beach.

i assume they do the same things for the parks as well? rain is ok, but lightning will stop and delay things? I see a small percentage of rain in our forecast for june 8th - june 10th

i assume they do the same things for the parks as well? rain is ok, but lightning will stop and delay things? I see a small percentage of rain in our forecast for june 8th - june 10th

Most of the rides are indoors, and it won't matter.

Yes but you can probably count the attractions on your fingers that will be closed, most will be open and business as usual. I've never experienced a park closed due to this.

At water parks the entire park is impacted, they will clear all the attractions and even though I've only been to water parks an average of 1 or 2 times per year I have had a few times where they closed to park and asked everyone to leave.

Does anyone know if you can wear water shoes on the slides at the waterparks?
You can on most of the slides. On the ones you can't, CM will instruct
you to take them off before going down and you can hold them in your hands while going down.

In general, it's the body slides you go feet first where you need to take them off.

On our last trip, we were at a water park for over 2 hours waiting for the lightening to move out. The food areas were mobbed. My advice is to grab enough space under cover- leave your stuff on the chairs, under them, etc. so you will have someplace to come back to if the rain hits. And pack a deck of cards or a small game or a few books- it was a long wait.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter