• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Water??

kdisser

DIS Veteran
We are WDW pros, with that being said we know the drinking water at WDW can be pretty gross. We are going to DL in May for the first time. I don’t want to buy water bottles at the park, I’m all for the free water but my main question is.....Is the water in California anything like the kind from Florida, drinking wise?

The water in CA tastes WAY better than FL tap water. It doesn't smell like swamp water.

The water in Anaheim does have more minerals in it than we are used to back home. Some people don’t like it in Anaheim. But I actually find it quite potable, especially when cold. But the water at WDW taste positively foul to me. My spouse doesn’t mind it at WDW. But it makes me gag. Perhaps that description can help you to judge.
You can also get free cups of ice water from any quick service restaurant. They are dispensed from the soft drink fountains. So it is probably filtered water. There are also several water bottle refill stations throughout Disneyland Park, but not Disney California Adventure Park.

...You can also get free cups of ice water from any quick service restaurant. They are dispensed from the soft drink fountains. So it is probably filtered water. There are also several water bottle refill stations throughout Disneyland Park, but not Disney California Adventure Park.
The free cups of ice water from CS locations IS filtered water, so don't worry. If the water comes from the soda machines, it is filtered. You can also refill your water bottles from the water fountains in the First Aid stations in DL and DCA.
Where to refill water bottles in DCA? -- also lists locations in DL
OP: Some guests bring the individual packets of flavored drink mix, e.g. Crystal Light or something like that, to mix in their water bottles. They like the flavored water better. If that keeps them hydrated and works for them, great.

I've never had a problem with the taste of the water at DLR. Definitely doesn't have that WDW water smell! We refill our water bottles from the drinking fountains and think it tastes fine.

There are plenty of places to get free, filtered water at DL. Bring some insulated bottles and you will be all set.

Our go to spots are:

Disneyland Park
Alien Pizza Planet (self serve soda machines)
Rancho del Zocalo (self serve soda machine for ice, filtered water spigot in the seating area outside for the water)
Galaxy's Edge Water Refill station
Red Rose Taverne (ice cups at the counter, filtered water spigot in the dining area)
Galactic grill (filtered water spigot near the condiment area)

DCA
Boardwalk Pizza (self serve soda machine)
Flo's V8 (they give out LARGE ice water cups here)

At the Grand Californian, at the CS location, there is a Coke Freestyle machine where we get ice water when passing through the hotel.

At the Grand Californian, at the CS location, there is a Coke Freestyle machine where we get ice water when passing through the hotel.

There's a filtered water station inside the fitness center for GC as well, opposite from where the Peloton sits. Not readily accessible, i'll admit, unless you're a guest there.

I've noticed you get large cups of water at CA but just small ones at DL....hmmm, I wonder why?? :confused3

As for the water quality in Anaheim, it's pretty good. It's a mix of local ground water, water from the Colorado river, and funneled in from Northern California (which is fed from the mountains of Mt. Shasta and the Sierra Nevada).

This explains why we get so many questions from WDW folks about the DLR water!

Before our WDW trip, I never understood why all of the WDW people would make such a big deal about getting entire cases of bottled water delivered to their hotel rooms. And then we went there and drank the free ice water from the quick service restaurants. Oh my Lord, yuck!

I've never been to WDW, but we have to bring in cases of water when we visit DLR. We've never gotten the free cups of filtered water, but as far as drinking straight from the water fountains or the hotel sinks, it is a no go for us. Everyone in my family thinks it has a strong flavor and a weird mouth-feel... almost like its thick or something. Our tap water at home is about the same as bottled water. But it sounds like we might be the odd-people out. And I will make a mental note to never drink Orlando water. ;)

Most CS restaurants at WDW have filtered water as well, never have a problem there either. Yes, the tap water is awful, but that's not generally what they give you.

I don’t like the tap water at Disneyland/Anaheim. (I drink tap water at home.) We always bring flavor packets. It helps keep the cost down, and we all stay hydrated.

Oh yeah, the water at WDW is foul. DH and I actually threw out the first pot of coffee we made it was so nasty. Luckily we'd packed a lot of bottled water in the trailer for our trip cross country. We just refer to the water there as 'swamp water'.

I grew up in So Cal and there was a noticeable difference in the water in my town vs closer to the coast. Not necessarily bad, but it does have a taste to it. We referred to the taste as 'beach water' and loved it because it meant summers and Newport.

I've never been to WDW, but we have to bring in cases of water when we visit DLR. We've never gotten the free cups of filtered water, but as far as drinking straight from the water fountains or the hotel sinks, it is a no go for us. Everyone in my family thinks it has a strong flavor and a weird mouth-feel... almost like its thick or something. Our tap water at home is about the same as bottled water. But it sounds like we might be the odd-people out. And I will make a mental note to never drink Orlando water. ;)

Yep, that's 'beach water', all right! I love the taste per my above post. Horses for courses!

It's funny what people experience. I think the Anaheim water is gross - it smells funny when you turn on a tap, like someone let one go, if you know what I mean. On my first time out there I had started feeling just a little sick, and upon talking to locals in the HM queue, they had asked if I had been drinking water. I said yes, but they they were like "not tap water, right?" They advised me to stop immediately and drink only filtered or bottled.

I don't find WDW water to be all that great compared to home, but I think it is much better and drinkable than Anaheim water. It's never made me sick or anything.

Last edited:
I live in the bay area and drink tap water regularly here. The filtered water at DL(restaurants, refill stations) is good but I won't touch the water fountains - gross tasting water comes out of those.

I also make sure I bring a few gallons of bottled water to have in my hotel room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter