• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Water socks for water parks?

MarBee

DIS Veteran
Hello!
Is it necessary to wear water socks at the water parks? We are going next week. I saw somewhere that people have to remove footwear before going down slides. Is that true for the water sock type water shoes as well?

If we just wear our flip flops, will we have to leave them in the locker? Or are there places to leave them before each slide? Are the pavements too hot to walk on?

Thank you!

If you leave anything that is not in a locker, you run the risk of it walking off. I have not been to the water parks but I know that disney runs water on the sidewalks to help cool them off. I would look at ride videos on YouTube since you haven't received a reply about the slides. The walk through videos show people wearing water shoes. The DIS also has some good info pages on the water parks.
Have fun!

no, it is not necessary to wear them. Yes the slides do make you take off any shoes (water or otherwise). There are sprinklers to water the pavement, though on sunny days in summer, it does get really hot in areas that do not have the water.

During my visits, almost everyone was barefoot. The pavement does get hot near the lockers where the ground is dry, but other than that I didn't see any need for water socks, water shoes, or even flip flops to get around the park. I don't recall seeing anyone wearing water socks but I also wasn't looking for this.

A lot of people do leave their stuff lying around but I opted to rent the smaller locker for $10/day for peace of mind.

It is not necessary, but I wear them due to pain issues when I walk barefoot. They only make you take shoes off on the body slides. You can leave them on for inner tube slides.

Between shade and the misters you shouldn't have much trouble with hot sidewalks. Also, I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure that if a slide requires you to take your water socks off you can go down the slide with them in your hand. I'm pretty sure I've seen that.

Yes, if you wear flip flops and have to take them off, you will need to hold them on the slide. You can't leave them at the top.

I wear them, can't go barefoot because I have plantar fasciitis. I held them on pretty much every ride. The one or two you can't, the super fast slides, I left them at the bottom. They aren't expensive and they were always there when I got off

I wouldn't worry about any stealing flip flops. The two times we went we drove, and the only thing we brought- other than shoes- was our car key, and minimal clothing. I don't imagine anyone rich enough to afford water park entry wants to steal used t-shirts.

I did see some folks with water shoes, but I forgot to pack them. I agree that walking barefoot all day does a number on our feet, and some parts of the park a bit slimy.

I would not want to go barefoot into those restrooms! Ick! The floors were wet and the restrooms were, er, fragrant. Many people leave flip flops by chairs, along with towels and other stuff.

It also seemed to me anyone who wanted a locker had to wait in a significant line. I can't say how long the wait was, because we didn't bring any valuables with us. On our second trip, we didn't even bring towels in the park, and we were fine without them.

We frequent the water parks a lot, we were just in TL today. We walk around barefoot, but some people have flip flops, or other footwear. You must take them off for the slides if you wear them around. Most people leave them in lockers or at their chairs. We don't use the lockers and have never had concern about our flip flops being stolen.

Yes, the ground does get VERY hot. There are sprinklers in spots to help cool the pavement, but a vast majority is dry and in the sun. You will need to run in some spots to avoid burning your feet. TL is especially bad for this. Today was brutal in spots. Run from one wet area to another, so you don't fry your feet. As I write this, it's been 5 hours since we left the park. My feet aren't actually burned, they don't hurt, but still have that feeling of having been walking on hot pavement. I wish they'd do a better job keeping the pavement cool, but I'm sure there are bigger concerns about people falling on wet pavement.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter