• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

water parks compared to Wisconsin Dells

As a Wisconsin resident, I can say that it is not even close. The Dells have become borderline disgusting. Some places are better than others, but the “ick” factor of the Dells is too hard to ignore. Only a 60 minute drive for us, but it is not even on the radar even for a weekend.

The Dells used to be a great place to go - about 20 years ago, now it's become a bit of a terrible shadow of it's former self. The place cant hold a candle to all that the Disney water parks are - theming, size, everything.
As a Wisconsinite I completely agree with this.

haven't been there for a few years. Noahs Ark was fun. but loved Wilderness with all their indoor and outdoor parks. Hopefully that has not gone down hill.

haven't been there for a few years. Noahs Ark was fun. but loved Wilderness with all their indoor and outdoor parks. Hopefully that has not gone down hill.

The Wilderness resort in Pigeon Forge is gross and terrible......same company. So hopefully they maintain the Dells location better.

I don't know about the Dells area, but comparing Volcano Bay vs Typhoon Lagoon (having done both water parks in the same week), Volcano Bay is much better. Bigger park, more water attractions, has some really great thrill rides, the Hawaiian theme is very cool, the Tapu Tapu ride checkin system works very well. Just a great park. Now, I haven't been to Blizzard Beach, so I can't tell how it compares to VB, but VB beats TL easily.
100% agree (and I'm usually a Disney girl 😂). Volcano Bay is an amazing water park (the Aqua Coaster and fearless river, WOW!) and overall we would rank it first, Typhoon Lagoon second and Blizzard Beach third. I will say though if you are a wave pool person and don't care much about the slides, Typhoon Lagoon would win hands down, as their wave pool is something else.

I don't know about the Dells area, but comparing Volcano Bay vs Typhoon Lagoon (having done both water parks in the same week), Volcano Bay is much better. Bigger park, more water attractions, has some really great thrill rides, the Hawaiian theme is very cool, the Tapu Tapu ride checkin system works very well. Just a great park. Now, I haven't been to Blizzard Beach, so I can't tell how it compares to VB, but VB beats TL easily.
This. It seems silly to me that anyone would consider doing one of the Disney waterparks when Volcano Bay is so much better. Unless you have small children.

Thinking of planning for a water park day for our next trip in late Jan 2023, but not sure if the weather will make that prohibitive. Anyone have any thoughts on doing either BB or TL if the temps end up being high 60's or low 70's?

Thinking of planning for a water park day for our next trip in late Jan 2023, but not sure if the weather will make that prohibitive. Anyone have any thoughts on doing either BB or TL if the temps end up being high 60's or low 70's?
interested on this as well, I am going in mid february 2023.

If you’re talking theming, then Disney waterparks win, hands down.
But if you’re comparing sheer volume of rides from Noah’s Arc to Disney, you’ll be disappointed. Especially in the price difference.

Don’t get me wrong, Disney Waterparks are AHmazing and beautiful, but if your kids go into it expecting all day ride after ride of different experiences they may be disappointed so don’t sell it that way :)

I haven't been to the Dells in at least 10 years, so I'll reserve comment there, but add me to the listing of folks that think Volcano Bay is superior to TL and BB. I do love TL and BB, but VB is just bigger and better. But, less convenient if you're staying on or near WDW property. You're not going to go wrong either way if you like water parks.

It depends on your family’s cold tolerance. DD and I did non-Disney water park on a 68-degree, cloudy morning. I was cold after five runs on the water slide. She runs hot and kept going for 30 slide runs since there were only a few other people there. It warmed to low 70s by afternoon, but I still was too cold to get really wet. She did 45 minutes in the wave pool no problem.
One factor that will impact your experience is whether the water parks are heated like the hotel pools. Hopefully someone else can tell you about that.

I also wonder what we're comparing when we talk about "The Dells' there are multiple waterparks and resorts your mileage REALLY will vary, depending on where you are going. Like I for instance have never gone anywhere but the Wilderness resort. I have loved it since my son was a baby, and they have made lots of improvements and added to their resort. Although we hit some dining favorites and knuckleheads, a lot of our activity takes place on property.

So glad I found this thread. I have fervently been searching for a family friendly new spot to visit and came across the Dells. Got my guide in the mail this week and knew it did not look like worth traveling a distance, but this confirms it!

I also wonder what we're comparing when we talk about "The Dells' there are multiple waterparks and resorts your mileage REALLY will vary, depending on where you are going. Like I for instance have never gone anywhere but the Wilderness resort. I have loved it since my son was a baby, and they have made lots of improvements and added to their resort. Although we hit some dining favorites and knuckleheads, a lot of our activity takes place on property.
Wilderness is also our goto resort there. So many indoor and outdoor parks, plus so many other options. We often spend 1 day a Noahs Ark, but we now have an amazing water park in our town so heading up there isn't as important anymore.

We went to Noah’s Arc in Wisconsin dells a few years back . It was the best water park there I’m told . The kids had fun . They had dole whip too !! Everywhere else was kind of gross . We had to go for dance nationals otherwise we would never go .

Skip Disney and go to Volcano Bay. It is much better. I'm kind of sad that Aquatics isn't getting much love here

Skip Disney and go to Volcano Bay. It is much better. I'm kind of sad that Aquatics isn't getting much love here
Aquatica is fun but its way too crowded all the time now. And the parking situation is a mess. Takes forever to get in when busy and forever to get out.

We are near the Dells (Milton, WI) and go over 10 times a year and have stayed in all the big resorts and done the waterparks as well.
We have done Volcano Falls at Universal and many cool places in Mexico, Vegas and the like....we like waterparks....
With that being said, we go to Disney multiple times a year and sometimes for months at a time and we ALWAYS get waterpark tickets, there is absolutely nothing comparable to the Disney Water Parks and this is going as 2 adults in their 20s, then taking babies and toddlers and school age kids, middle school kids, high school kids and now college kids that bring their friends...this is just the best!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter