• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Water park for 10 yr old w/ Cerebal Palsy?

Donnask8pro

DIS Veteran
MY son LOVES the water. We have a built in pool. I want to take him to one of the water parks. He cannot walk, or swim by himself. Which park has better fountain areas or just wading areas? My younger son (4) swims well. I need to accommodate both is possible. Thanks

Both Blizzard Beach and Typhoon Lagoon have lazy rivers and wave pools, as well as kids areas.

Disney does try to accomodate children with special needs. If your child needs a life jacket, they are available. If he exceeds the height limit for the smaller kids area, but it is the most appropriate place for him to safely enjoy the water, let the CM's know.

Have a magical trip. ::MickeyMo

Of the 2 parks TL childrens area is not very good for special needs children (imo). BB Ski PAtrol is a nice mid-size area. That said, we love the wave pool at TL much better. I believe some of the tubes at BB lazy river are like a figure 8 and can hold 2 people.

Is there an area w/ fountains coming up from the ground I can hold him under? Does the wave pool have a very shallow end?
:goodvibes Thanks for your help :goodvibes

The wave pool at TL does have a shallow end, but it goes all the way to the sand where the lawn chairs are at. TL has sand all over the place( more of a beach theme). Unfortunately, I've never been to BB, so I don't know if they have a wave pool or any fountains.
As of fountains, I think Downtown Disney has an area and I believe another waterpark(not Disney), Wet and Wild in Orlando, has a fountain area and possibly a wave pool.

Rosemarie :flower:

My son is mobile (although restricted to certain activity due to spinal fusion) so I can't answer your mobility issues.

I think I would prefer BB. My memory of the kiddie area is that there is some squirting water. Here is a quote from another site "Tike's Peak - Big fun for little tikes. This kid-size version of Mount Gushmore includes short water slides, rideable critters, a snow castle, fountain play area, and a squirting ice pond." The ski patrol area has a zero entry and I think adults can go in the "main" pool section there. The wave pool at BB is very gentle and you could take him in and especially with a life jacket spend a good bit of time there. TL wave pool is extremely powerful and I wouldn't want to worry about him in there. The family raft ride is lots of fun you can do with him and the real plus is you DON'T have to carry him up all those stairs to the top like TL. BB has a ski lift. You all ride it up, let the CM know your situation and I think they can just stop the lift when you get up top to allow you ease in exiting. You walk about 25 feet and you are at the family raft ride.

We haven't asked but you may be able to use a GAC situation there so you wouldn't have to hold him long.......does anyone know ?????

Here are some photos links ~ http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/photo3.html ~ http://www.johnremus.com/disney/blizzard.htm ~

GAC situation? Last time we were in Disney he was able to go to the front of the line everywhere. He is not able to wait in lines, if that is what you mean.

Yes. We have not tried to use a GAC at the waterparks because we are always with a large group when we go there. Maybe someone on here knows if you can use your GAC there. The family raft ride is really alot of fun and I bet he would love it, but sometimes the line can get long as with all of the larger slides. It would be great if you could use it there to avoid having to hold him in the que lines.

We did BB with our then 8yo daughter with CP. She sounds very much like your son. They were very accomodating, especially with the family raft ride. On the ski lift, there is an enclosed lift that we just wheeled her chair on and one of us were able to ride up with her. My DH and sons went on another lift ahead of us. It was wonderful. After we got Tiff off the lift, we took her out of her chair and carried her the rest of the way (not far at all) and the BB staff left her chair on the lift which took it to the bottom. Then they took the chair to the exit of the family raft ride to wait for us. It was perfect. We did this several times. We also spend a lot of time in the wave pool and on the lazy river. My DH and I switched off with each other so we could do the other slides with our other 2 sons. Don't hesitate to go to BB! You will love it! Just wear plenty of sun screen!! Have fun!

THANK YOU, EVERYONE.....You guys have been the best. I will absolutely take him now. He will love it. I just have 1 more question. We are purchasing a 7 day hopper from AAA. I think I read you can add pluses? Just 1 plus? Or should I buy when I get there? Best deal? Again I cannot thank you enough.

:thewave:

HopperFan said:
TL wave pool is extremely powerful and I wouldn't want to worry about him in there.
We haven't asked but you may be able to use a GAC situation there so you wouldn't have to hold him long.......does anyone know ?????

Here are some photos links ~ http://www.wdisneyw.co.uk/photo3.html ~ http://www.johnremus.com/disney/blizzard.htm ~
We only took DD into the wave pool at TL once years ago, but I still remember it (do we have a bad vibes smiley). It was very strong and I had a hard time holding her up.
They do have GACs at the water parks (I don't have personal experience with this, but have been told about them). Go to Guest Services in the water park (a regular park GAC doesn't work at the water parks). From what I have been told, the CM at Guest Services can help you figure out what rides would be most appropriate for your needs.
If you go on one of the lazy rivers (which DD really liked), make sure to pay attention to where you left the wheelchair. The current floats you along in one direction and it's hard to go back if you miss your "exit".
Here's a link to the official WDW Guidebook for Guests with Disabilities for Blizzard Beach.
And here's the one for Typhoon Lagoon
I also wanted to mention that GACs (park or water parks) do not give front of the line access (it says right on the GAC that it is not meant to shorten or eliminate waits in line, just provide more appropriate method of access for people with disabilities.)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter